Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Zonko_T.M. posted:

How could this get worse? How could this get worse?!

I'm no snailologist, but I'm pretty sure that snails regenerate lost eyestalks.

So a bird will rip out a snail's eyes, but as that picture shows, bulk of the parasite is deeper inside. If the snail survives, it will regenerate a new pair of parasitized eyestalks, and the cycle repeats, and repeats...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jvie posted:

So a bird will rip out a snail's eyes, but as that picture shows, bulk of the parasite is deeper inside. If the snail survives, it will regenerate a new pair of parasitized eyestalks, and the cycle repeats, and repeats...

it's a wild world out there. protect ya eye stalks people.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Jvie posted:

I am neither birdologist nor snailologist, but I find it questionable that the snail will survive the first encounter with the bird.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ariong posted:

I am neither birdologist nor snailologist, but I find it questionable that the snail will survive the first encounter with the bird.

I have no professional bonafides at all but I think the idea is the bird can't be bothered with the snail shell so it takes the wormy eyes and gtfo.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

uber_stoat posted:

I have no professional bonafides at all but I think the idea is the bird can't be bothered with the snail shell so it takes the wormy eyes and gtfo.

Crows have learned to drop nuts at busy intersections in order to have cars run them over and crack hard shells.

It would literally be harder for a bird to 'just' rip off an eye stalk of parasitic snail than it would to just pick up the whole thing and drop it from up on high, cracking its shell and then taking the now naked snail back to it's nest.

If birds were over 6ft tall and scaley we'd be bowing down to our dinosaur masters.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Luckily for us, flightless birds seem to have real problems competing with mammals :science:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Randaconda posted:

Luckily for us, flightless birds seem to have real problems competing with mammals :science:

My old chums from MWO would have a squawk or two to say about that!

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Randaconda posted:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I like Terry Pratchett's take on the Prometheus myth. The Greek version doesn’t tell what happened after Heracles freed Prometheus;
on the Discworld, his counterpart (Fingers-Mazda, IIRC) ambushes the eagle and gets some payback.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You dont fight the birds
You set rats and pigs on the eggs

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Holy poo poo, that's a great idea! brb, I'm going to get in my time machine and go back to introduce rats to Australia

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BAD IDEA BAD IDEA BAD IDEA

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

If I'm not horribly mistaken, the reason that the emus won was that they can take a hell of a lot of standard bullets before they die or even notice that they're hurt, partially because their brains basically have two thoughts, "hungry" and "make wierd gulp-choking noise"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:nws: https://i.imgur.com/3QwabYq.jpg :nws:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man ever since kojima left, silent hill has gone to poo poo with the budgets.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

the stand in for the CGI Clifford.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

RandomFerret posted:

BAD IDEA BAD IDEA BAD IDEA

It would only be bad for the British Penal Colonies, i'm sure 200 years of evolution of rats in Australia would produce some egg laying, venom spraying, web spinning, semi-aquatic uber-rat that would be good for... something.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

This got posted to my Facebook:

It's called a Jenny Haniver. Essentially it's the oldest type of fake known, easily dating back to the 1500s. It's made by modifying the remains of a ray or skate, then mummifying it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's called a Jenny Haniver. Essentially it's the oldest type of fake known, easily dating back to the 1500s. It's made by modifying the remains of a ray or skate, then mummifying it.

what a beautiful baby. mazel tov

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

M_Sinistrari posted:

I was going to make a joke about how someone must have really hated Jenny, but Wikipedia tells me it’s a corruption of the French phrase jeune d'Anvers which means “youth of Antwerp” and that’s way loving funnier imo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

“youth of Antwerp”

Checks out

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I was going to make a joke about how someone must have really hated Jenny, but Wikipedia tells me it’s a corruption of the French phrase jeune d'Anvers which means “youth of Antwerp” and that’s way loving funnier imo

One of my new colleagues is from Antwerp, I'm definitely going to tell her this first thing Monday

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

M_Sinistrari posted:

Yeah those things would freak out Europeans every couple decades in the Middle Ages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_monk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop-fish

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/NatureisScary/status/1171243703396196352

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

There's a black widow right outside my front door with a lizard or tiny snake about that size. Dude is eating well.

Longpig Bard has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Sep 12, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

scumby posted:

There's a black widow right outside my front door with a lizard or tiny snake about that size. Dude is eating well.

Tiny little red back spiders in Australia have started catching mice. Their poison isn't strong enough to kill the mice so they just stun it and bind it with webbing to eat it alive. :black101:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inceltown posted:

Tiny little red back spiders in Australia have started catching mice. Their poison isn't strong enough to kill the mice so they just stun it and bind it with webbing to eat it alive. :black101:

Let's hope they consume the entire mouse, because if it survives after the bite, well...

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

The Bloop posted:

Checks out

Instantly heard the narrator from Shadows of Darkness going "Ohhhhhh, you've been [i]antwerped]/i]!"

But fortunately they were just baby antwerp, you see.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I did not need to know this.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

scumby posted:

She appears to have a boyfriend/future snack nearby, too. Life is good.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Oh poo poo that circle is going to eat that dude!

What's the context?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

OutOfPrint posted:

What's the context?

Grandpa got into the RV and he has a few things to say about how much your on your phone

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
:perfect:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

this owns, spiders own

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

OutOfPrint posted:

What's the context?

Couldn't find one without the circle and best :wtf: lighting.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/photograph-ghost-wielding-axe-aboard-3955922

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chard posted:

this owns, spiders own

Would you still feel the same if they could fly?

https://twitter.com/seldo/status/1178017364387889152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!