Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People being terrified of cephalopods will never cease to amuse me, because to me most of them look adorable. The blanket octopus is really pretty.

Related to the topic, I've always found this close up of a maggot to be somewhere between cute and creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ExtraCheese posted:

It's just someone with a genetic disorder, it's really not that creepy

He's literally made a career out of looking creepy because of it. I think most people would disagree here.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

What exactly is supposed to be creepy about a little lizard?

Here's some normal animal behavior that is actually a bit unnerving.

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 06:20 on May 30, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sectoids have combined their DNA with cats to infiltrate our homes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

An outcast, he is feared for his ugly blue beard.

It amuses me that in a play about a serial murderer, his beard being blue is what really makes him an outcast.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well he eats some similar huge grub, but those things are actually eaten pretty regularly by locals and don't even taste bad so he was just being over dramatic for the camera. The really dumb thing is I remember another episode where he ate grubs and was totally fine with it so I don't know why he decided to fake being grossed out in that one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SybilVimes posted:

They were released there intentionally, the risk of damage by radiation is far outweighed by the lack of humans loving poo poo up, in conservation terms.

edit:

Although humans are loving poo poo up again:

What are poachers targeting some horses for? What do they provide that domestic horses do not?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That reminds me, an animal I find to be both beautiful and creepy are comb jellies.

Looks pretty right? They pulsate with the entire color spectrum in bands along their body. Watching them drift through the ocean is very serene...until they find something to eat.

Then they're pulsating blobs swallowing other creatures whole.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is that tree painted or something?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Say Nothing posted:

Creepy image, humorous comment.

I'm reminded of that idiotic documentary where some guy wasted tons of money trying to make a suit that would let him record being eaten alive by a snake.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cptn_dr posted:

So, that was some kind of sex thing, right?

I would not be surprised if that guy had a vore fetish but it was supposed to serious and was being done under the vague idea of it advancing "science". What kind of science would be helped by this is beyond me but I'm sure the makers just knew it was a weird thing that would have people check it out for the shock value.

Of course they accomplished nothing other than torturing some poor snake by having it chomp on an idiot in an inedible tin can. Pretty disgusting thing to do for a lot of different reasons.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh gently caress I know that was from something I saw as a kid. It was some grotesque clay animation. I can't remember what it was but now its clawing at the back of my mind and is going to bother me all night.

Claymation really creeps me out for some reason. It just looks wrong.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Okay really how is this supposed to be creepy and not just stupid?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hakkesshu posted:

You could just post the trailer which is hosed up enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgCxCZNkQ9E

Fantastic Planet is one of the most persistently horrifying films I've ever seen. I was unlucky enough to catch it on TV when I was like 10 and I had nightmares about that opening scene with the mother and her baby for years afterwards.

One of these days I really need to get around to watching this.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How do they even come up with that kind of surgery in the first place?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There are so many fake pictures of that disorder I'm not sure what a real example actually looks like.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
http://i.imgur.com/JPYdu.jpg

:nws: I guess

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just thought it was stupid, not creepy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tiberius Thyben posted:

This would be fine, but it reminded me of the dragon heart comic.

Why is it that for all the horrid things that have been posted on this site, that comic is the one that keeps getting mentioned again and again?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ryoshi posted:

You seem very upset. You should calm down, it would likely help your reading comprehension issues as well as your blood pressure.

Keep going, I wanna see how deep of a hole you can dig.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think when I was in gradeschool one of our required readings was a story about a girl who goes to live with some creepy relative that is implied to be like, almost a skeleton or something. Said skeleton keeps not so subtly talking about how its going to rip off her skin and eat it. I don't think the story was actually scary, but it was weird. Weird because I had no idea why this of all things was our required reading.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Basking sharks, like most whales, are terrifyingly huge but pretty much harmless due to their diet consisting of small plankton consumed through filter feeding. Its literally impossible for them to swallow larger prey.

VVV Okay there are more toothed whales than baleen ones, but most of the really big whales have baleen. That's not to say sperm whales don't exist though.

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Feb 20, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh, I get it now! I was reading the intent wrong. I thought he was saying basking sharks were whales, not comparing them to whales. Still, I never use that smillie so it was nice to crack it out I guess.

And I thought you were saying that most whales are toothed, since dolphins are technically the same family as whales. :downs:

To make this marine rambling more relevant to the thread, here's a goblin shark's hosed up mouth.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nature is scary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

darkhand posted:

Is that in real time or sped up? Either way holy poo poo, how have insects not like taken over the world already?

They kind of have. Insects are everywhere.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Plethora posted:

Presenting "The Anguished Man" - a haunted painting of unknown origins.

Yes, that is something I would want to display in my guest bedroom. Real comforting to whoever spends the night there I'm sure.

Isn't there some kind of testing you could do to determine if the painting actually contains blood?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gamma Nerd posted:

I think Kazuo Umezu belongs on the top of the "crazy mangaka" list. Fourteen is seriously the most mesmerizingly, painfully weird thing I've read. It's like a fever dream that never ends, just gets worse and worse.

Hmm, that sounds interesting, I'll look it up!

:laffo:

EDIT: This is incredible

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Mar 30, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Absolutely nothing makes sense. Its an utterly bizarre story, you can understand what is supposed to be going on but the execution is just absurd. I'm amazed by how stupid and weird it is.

I love you Chicken George.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
No matter what, its more effort than anything like that should ever get.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What actually is that?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd think that, being primarily ambush predators, they wouldn't want to jump on something that is looking right at them because they get a better chance to escape/fight back.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

There's nothing creepy about Christmas Island crabs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just think of all the stuff it can see while writhing in immobilized agony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

You think they could give the guy a longer poking stick. Its not like whales exploding is a new thing.