Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

apsouthern posted:

I could have sworn that middle one is from a film I watched last year but I can't for the life of me remember what it was

Nah, he's right, it's a Universal Studios halloween house from 2011...

https://youtu.be/PARg0XkG-rA?t=3m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Autechresaint posted:

Is there a story behind this? I assume they are all dead, but how did they all die at the same time?

quote:

John C. Browne (American, 1838-1918) A Children’s Play (Bluebeard’s Wives), ca. 1866, printed ca. 1975, modern gelatin silver print from the original collodion negative, George Eastman House

This rather haunting image is a modern day gelatin silver print made from the original collodion glass plate negative, and was created by John Coates Browne around 1866. Browne was an amateur photographer who maintained a prominent role in the Photographic Society of Philadelphia.

The morbidity of the image may come as a shock—five of the six young girls are play-acting dead. Hung by their hair, their faces are painted white, matching their ghostly gowns. The play is based off of a French fairytale, about a nobleman who has a penchant for killing successive young wives. An outcast, he is feared for his ugly blue beard. He has been married several times, and each of his young wives mysteriously disappears, frightening the village girls. The story takes place when his most recent wife, still alive, discovers his secret cellar where he keeps the bodies of his murdered former wives, and recounts her attempts to escape.

Browne stages this as a genre scene, not unlike those created by Oscar Gustave Rejlander or Henry Peach Robinson, masters of allegorical or staged photographs. However, unlike Rejlander or Robinson’s images, this one was not made using multiple negatives, rather the entire scene was captured in one shot.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

SamLikesCake posted:

More info here.

Whales are too big. They're beautiful, but if it's so big that they can accidentally capsize a boat that is too big for my liking. Imagine just sitting in your boat, getting ready to grab another beer from the cooler when all of a sudden a giant, gaping maw of horror bursts out of the water just feet from the boat.

Nope!

Baleens are as scary as an oil filter! :colbert:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Can't figure this one out

The camera is on a tripod, that is knocked over by the wave half way through the image capture (on a rolling shutter camera)

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Lamprey Cannon posted:

That's to be expected with purebreeds of most species; tons of purebred dogs and horses have serious defects or abnormalities. You want a creepy mutant horse? I'll show you a creepy mutant horse.

This is a product of the Chernobyl exclusion zone, and photographs of it and other mutant animals were sent to Mikhail Gorbachev to try and convince him to more seriously investigate the long-term consequences of the meltdown. Of course, no such thing was done.

Probably because most of the images are fake, or at best (as in this case), cherry-picked *normal* random mutations.

Pictured, wild horses in the exclusion zone:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

TunaSpleen posted:

Just what the endangered members of Przewalski's horse needed, some radiation in their gonads.

They were released there intentionally, the risk of damage by radiation is far outweighed by the lack of humans loving poo poo up, in conservation terms.

edit:

Although humans are loving poo poo up again:

quote:

In Chernobyl, the population reproduced at a high rate, reaching up to 200 individuals until poachers decreased their number to just 60 in recent years. As of 2011, it was estimated that only 30–40 individuals remained. An intensely researched population of free-ranging animals was also introduced to the Hortobágy National Park puszta in Hungary; data on social structure, behavior and diseases gathered from these animals is used to improve the Mongolian conservation effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Turk February posted:

Good loving god. I sure hope somebody was merciful and killed it right after that photo was taken.

It's from faithfreedom.org and it's fake which should be obvious to anyone, given that it is clearly the head of a post-puberty male and has no apparent way to feed or sustain its life