Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

platedlizard posted:

I think the worst thing about the EU is that I remember so much of it. Especially the stories about the Solo kids. I think all three had been kidnapped or threatened with kidnapping at least five or six times during their childhood. That seems like bad parenting to me.

Thank God I bailed when the Vong thing happened and started reading better books.

I actually read one story where they were at a holographic zoo and wandered out through a random door and were suddenly in the Coruscant under buildings where there were ogres, droids trying to replace broken lights with more broken lights. They were ultimately rescued by a pack of feral imperial accountants who had fled down there to escape the Emperor's wrath due to a budgetary oversight. I found the Coruscant underworld to be kinda interesting actually.

Bonzo posted:

Karen Traviss

I read Karen Traviss's order 66 and I did enjoy how she pointed out that using an army of enslaved 12 year olds was pretty messed up. There were troopers with PTSD, shell shock from concussive brain damage and just generally ripping on the Jedi order.

I actually GM a star wars campaign and incorporated some of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Kazy posted:

thrawn trilogy was really dumb. "battle meditation by a crazy jedi" lol i don't even remember the other lovely parts. there's like "wookies but COOLER" species i think that thrawn keeps as servants or something.

The Honoghri? I remember that one part where Leia proves she's Vader's daughter (and thus their rightful Kwisatz Haderach-type ruler) by having one of them smell her hand, kind of like a dog checking you out through a fence

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

effectual posted:

Have you seen some of the other Darth names? They're really stupid.

yes. but george lucas did not seriously suggest the name "Darth Icky" you moron. the game developers wanted to give their retarded mary sue video game character a wicked cool Darth name even though there can only two sith at a time during the time of the movies because of george lucas's lame rule. so lucas just threw out two retardedly stupid suggestions and left the room because he likes trolling people. the autistic game developers were just too stupid to know their idea had just been rejected.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

burritolingus posted:

You know, Star Wars Rebels isn't all that bad. I didn't care for the cgi Clone Wars but Rebels is alright. It'd be a lot better if it weren't for the kid character. He should be a bit older, like more Luke's age in the original film, and less annoying. Or scrap him altogether, because it isn't like there aren't other characters on that show that couldn't be interesting if they were given the spotlight. And those are all the words I have right now for a children's television cartoon.

stop defending star wars eu poo poo. it's all bad. the first two movies were good and then the concept was sucked dry.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Battle Mediation is a loving idiotic idea too and that came from one of the only good EU products.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_walk

And this is when I finally gave up on the current EU stuff

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Flow-walking

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

lol what. walking is a force power now?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Cnut the Great posted:

the game developers wanted to give their retarded mary sue video game character a wicked cool Darth name even though there can only two sith at a time during the time of the movies because of george lucas's lame rule.

A rule he came up with because like the people writing the lovely books for him, he felt the need to come up with a lovely explanation for a perfectly organic plot point

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cnut the Great posted:

yes. but george lucas did not seriously suggest the name "Darth Icky" you moron. the game developers wanted to give their retarded mary sue video game character a wicked cool Darth name even though there can only two sith at a time during the time of the movies because of george lucas's lame rule. so lucas just threw out two retardedly stupid suggestions and left the room because he likes trolling people. the autistic game developers were just too stupid to know their idea had just been rejected.

i am pretty sure george lucas is actually that bad + stupid

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurosis posted:

he's bad but he's not stupid. stop getting trolled by george lucas, jesus christ. you're letting him win

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cnut the Great posted:

Jar Jar loving Binks.

Also, it was Lucas' idea for the Aliens in Indy 4.

His design talents are loving atrocious.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 25, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurosis posted:

Cnut the Great posted:

he's bad but he's not stupid. stop getting trolled by george lucas, jesus christ. you're letting him win

happyhippy posted:

Jar Jar loving Binks.

I hereby submit further evidence from the Lucas Arts postmortem...

quote:

When Fracture was revealed to the public, its protagonist was a character named Mason Briggs. By the time the game launched, his name was changed to Jet Brody. A person who helped give this gun-toting rebel his original name recalls going through weeks of naming conventions. “Literally, whole teams sitting together, brainstorming what looks good – the first name, the last name, etc. Done, good to go.”

But then a phantom menace struck. George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.’

“So everybody’s like, ‘No, he’s gotta be f---ing with us.’ He’s absolutely not. So when something like that happened – in the middle of the campaign, mind you – we have to go back through that entire naming convention again… from scratch.” From that second session, Jet Brody was born. Coincidentally. Jett is the name of Lucas’ son.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Corvis minor

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
George Lucas made a character named Chewbacca (nickname Chewie), a loner character named Han Solo, a hero character named Luke Skywalker (named after himself), and an evil villain named Darth Vader (darth sounds like dark except with a weird sound on the end, and vader is short for invader).

but B.J. Dart or Darth Insanicus or whatever are somehow beyond the pale. newsflash: they're all loving retarded names springing from the diseased mind of a permanent child. the first two movies were good by accident but they were populated by retarded, one-dimensional stock characters with cringeworthy names and simple, predictable character arcs.

what eveyrone doesn't seem to understand is that Star Wars is Bad. the EU and the prequels are bad because they are 100% Star Wars in every way, and STar Wars is a loving terrible idea. Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back were flukes, and even they were only good, not great. they are very entertaining movies but they aren't great cinema.

Star Wars was ruined because george lucas wouldn't let it die back in the 80s, not because he somehow changed it for the worse. only once you understand this solemn fact can you be relieved of the burden of your disappointment. i dislike Lucas because of the terrible trends he inspired in mainstream cinema, not because he ruined Star Wars. i don't really care about Star Wars per se, and neither should you, if you are an adult

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Jowls McStarfucker

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cnut the Great posted:

i dislike Lucas because of the terrible trends he inspired in mainstream cinema, not because he ruined Star Wars.

its about ethics in cinema

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there anything in the EU that explains why Obi Wan wasn't confused when he found out a dead co-worker commissioned and paid for a huge clone army on a secret ocean planet?

I always thought that was very weird, like I was missing something.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Dash Rendar owns.

edit: :lol: they brought him back from death.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol I had no loving idea they dropped a moon on chewie

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

its about ethics in cinema

:ssh:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

TLG James posted:

Dash Rendar owns.

edit: :lol: they brought him back from death.

the video game did that. i remember when i was a kid my older brother beat it on hard and there was a cutscene revealing that he survived

that game was actually kind of fun but i was like six at the time so what do i know

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
was that the one where you could be in a snow speeder and tow cable the ATATs

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Arian_Samurai posted:

Is there anything in the EU that explains why Obi Wan wasn't confused when he found out a dead co-worker commissioned and paid for a huge clone army on a secret ocean planet?

I always thought that was very weird, like I was missing something.

that sief odias dude was like that TCC goon that dropped some benzo and bought a grand piano
except jedis order clone armies from the galactic craigslist

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

that's every star wars game

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Fetus Tree posted:

Cnut the Great posted:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

what eveyrone doesn't seem to understand is that Star Wars is Bad. the EU and the prequels are bad because they are 100% Star Wars in every way, and STar Wars is a loving terrible idea. Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back were flukes, and even they were only good, not great. they are very entertaining movies but they aren't great cinema.

the first two films are at least competently made. the prequels are a jumbled mess on every level.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
like i dunno why lucas, a guy whos talents run towards big stupid archetypes, decided that what his films needed was political intrigue. aside from teh obvious "hes an idiot" answer.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Tits in star wars :nws:

Wookiepedia lol posted:

Breasts were the mammary glands of mammalian species and some reptomammals, and were normally a distinguishing feature of the female of the species. Males did have breasts, but they were far less developed than their female counterparts due to the sexual dimorphism.

quote:

Aayla Secura using her breasts to impress a Gossam guard.

quote:

Leia Organa seemed unperturbed by the sight of Shen breastfeeding in public on Dathomir,[1] and Luke Skywalker was similarly unfazed when he encountered the Fallanassi adept Norika wearing only a sarong.

ahahahaha what the gently caress

also I am unperturbed by seeing breasts as well :smugdog:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

like i dunno why lucas, a guy whos talents run towards big stupid archetypes, decided that what his films needed was political intrigue. aside from teh obvious "hes an idiot" answer.

people swallowed the Vietnam analogy in the original trilogy, so he decided that he was the best sci-fi satirist alive
also no Marcia to edit out the bullshit

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

that's not why the prequels sucked. there were only like a handful of scenes that actually dealt with politics and they were the only interesting parts of those movies. the prequels sucked because george lucas only knows how to do one thing, and that's to rehash the one good film he made decades ago.

the prequels sucked because he didn't go far enough with the political intrigue. he was still obsessed with making everything as black and white and morally unambiguous as possible. jedi good, sith bad. they fight with pew pew lasers then the bad guy does a bad thing and turns the republic evil. anakin was never actually a good person, he was a hosed up murderer right from the start. the republic is only evil because there's an all-powerful evil man controlling everything. george lucas is a simple minded fool.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
yes that multi billionaire is p simple minded for sure

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

yes that multi billionaire is p simple minded for sure

frequently, rich men are merely idiots who own more than one suit

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The first person to correctly list the number of times boba fett has fallen into and subsequently escaped the sarlacc wins a prize

the prize is shame

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Wolfsheim posted:

The first person to correctly list the number of times boba fett has fallen into and subsequently escaped the sarlacc wins a prize

the prize is shame

1 time each?

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Cnut the Great posted:

There are star wars games where you have to GET OUT of your space bomber that is perfectly capable of blowing up ground machines as well as space machines in order to get into a landspeeder to do the retarded tow cable thing.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

von Metternich posted:

There are star wars games where you have to GET OUT of your space bomber that is perfectly capable of blowing up ground machines as well as space machines in order to get into a landspeeder to do the retarded tow cable thing.

why don't they just make landspeeder droids whose sole function is to tow cable walkers?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TOILETLORD posted:

why don't they just make landspeeder droids whose sole function is to tow cable walkers?

You've seen the Roger Roger Droids.
Thats your answer.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

happyhippy posted:

You've seen the Roger Roger Droids.
Thats your answer.

yeah but i also saw the guard droid things with electric sticks that can fight jedi.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
is lego star wars canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Wolfsheim posted:

the prize is shame

TOILETLORD posted:

1 time each?

Boba Fett was eaten by and escaped from the Sarlacc twice actually, the second time shortly after he escaped from the first.

While he fired at Luke, in his obsession with capturing the Jedi, he failed to notice Solo. Solo, still semi-blind from hibernation sickness, accidentally activated Fett's manual controls on his jet pack by waving a staff wildly behind him, rocketing the hunter against the sail barge and bouncing down to the sand, rolling right into the waiting maw of the Sarlacc.

Knowledge of this incident eventually made its way into Deal-slang in the shape of the expression "boba-ize", which meant to do something unintelligent which would jeopardize or potentially ruin a deal, implying that falling into the Sarlacc was considered the result of stupidity in the eyes of the speakers of Deal-slang.

But the Sarlacc could never hold Fett. Thanks to his iron will and Mandalorian armor, Fett was able to fight his way out of the beast's belly. After escaping, Fett was found by a group of Jawas who took him to be either a droid or cyborg, never bothering to scan him, and claimed him as their own under the impression he was an unintelligent being. They took him into their sandcrawler, fitted him with a restraining bolt, and went on their way.

Fett was later joined by a familiar face when the Jawas stole R2-D2 from a hangar bay in Mos Eisley. R2-D2 immediately recognized Fett, but the meeting was interrupted as Han Solo and Leia Organa attacked the sandcrawler in an attempt to get R2 back. It was at this point that Fett awoke for the first time since being freed from the Sarlacc, just in time to see Solo enter the sandcrawler in his attempt to rescue R2. Unfortunately, the sandcrawler had been damaged during Han's attempts to enter it and so was on a collision course with the Sarlacc. The Jawas were too busy to fix it, as they had just been attacked by Tusken Raiders. Solo was as surprised as R2 had been to find Fett alive once more, but somehow, Fett had temporarily lost his memory and in fact helped Solo rescue R2 from the doomed sandcrawler. Though against his better judgment, Solo then tried to help Fett escape also, as he couldn't leave a helpless man to die.

Unfortunately for Fett, it was at this point that his memory came back due to Leia shouting Han's name repeatedly. Fett fired on the unarmed Solo before he managed to free him from the sandcrawler, causing Solo to jump onto the sand. The sandcrawler, with Fett still in it, crashed into the mouth of the Sarlacc, trapping Fett once more. Solo once more thought that Fett was dead.

After conversing with a fellow captive, the Choi known as Susejo, Fett discovered that this being was actually psychologically connected to the Sarlacc—and it was this advantage that he used to goad the creature into contracting around his jet pack, igniting the device and providing his means of escape. The resulting explosion, combined with the beast's acidic stomach juices, left Fett on the verge of death. As he lay dying on the surface of Tatooine, his colleague Dengar was searching for anything valuable left from the explosion, but found Boba Fett instead, and nursed him back to health.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread