Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Whitey Ford posted:

How fast is the modern safety car and at what point in history would it have out qualified all other cars on the grid? Genuinely interested.

It's still an SLS AMG right? Obviously the SC is closer to the road-going version but the GT3 version qualified 3rd at Spa in 2:18.934, the F1 107% cutoff there this year was 2:16.029.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
:lol: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/formulaone/article4366593.ece

quote:

Lewis Hamilton is aiming to become the highest earner in Formula One history as talks on a possible £150 million three-year contract with his Mercedes team reach a critical phase.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Xisticide posted:

It's still an SLS AMG right? Obviously the SC is closer to the road-going version but the GT3 version qualified 3rd at Spa in 2:18.934, the F1 107% cutoff there this year was 2:16.029.

If the F1 cut-off was 2:16.029 it was because it was wet. Normally a lap of Spa in an F1 car takes around 105-110 seconds. The last time we had a dry qualifying at Spa was 2012; 107% was 1:56.622. The first time F1 cars raced at the new Spa (in 1983), 2:18.934 would have put you just behind Salazar in last on the grid. This sounds almost respectable, so I'm going to point out that Salazar was 14 and a half seconds off pole and five seconds behind the next-to-last driver.

Ilanin fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 28, 2015

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Ilanin posted:

If the F1 cut-off was 2:16.029 it was because it was wet. Normally a lap of Spa in an F1 car takes around 105-110 seconds. The last time we had a dry qualifying at Spa was 2012; 107% was 1:56.622. The first time F1 cars raced at the new Spa (in 1983), 2:18.934 would have put you just behind Salazar in last on the grid. This sounds almost respectable, so I'm going to point out that Salazar was 14 and a half seconds off pole and five seconds behind the next-to-last driver.

Yeah I had a feeling it was probably wet but I couldn't be bothered to check v:shobon:v

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised the learn the road going version was quicker than no F1 ever.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
One problem is the circuit layouts changing over time. Spa is obviously out if you want to go really far back because it doesn't go through the woods anymore.

For fun I compared the 1964 British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch with the 2011 British GT championship results, but I don't know how much that circuit has changed other than it seems shorter today based on math. Anyway, Jim Clark's qualifying lap in 1964 was 1:38:1, which is about 97mph over 2.65 miles. An SLS AMG GT3 did a 1:28.6 in 2011 with an average speed of 98.87mph which would work out to 2.42 miles. If you take Clark's average speed over the shorter distance, it'd be a 1:29:8.

So yeah. Imperfect comparison, but it looks like the racing SLS isn't that much faster than a 1960s F1 car.

http://f1pulse.com/racecard/British_Grand_Prix_1964/3B3C42/race_card_qualify.aspx

http://www.britishgt.com/results.php?event=3&season=2011&session=Qualifying%201

e: wrong year

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 28, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

McLaren with an oil leak, no more testing today.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mimetic posted:

One problem is the circuit layouts changing over time. Spa is obviously out if you want to go really far back because it doesn't go through the woods anymore.

For fun I compared the 1964 British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch with the 2013 British GT championship results, but I don't know how much that circuit has changed other than it seems shorter today based on math. Anyway, Jim Clark's qualifying lap in 1964 was 1:38:1, which is about 97mph over 2.65 miles. An SLS AMG GT3 did a 1:28.6 in 2011 with an average speed of 98.87mph which would work out to 2.42 miles. If you take Clark's average speed over the shorter distance, it'd be a 1:29:8.

So yeah. Imperfect comparison, but it looks like the racing SLS isn't that much faster than a 1960s F1 car.

http://f1pulse.com/racecard/British_Grand_Prix_1964/3B3C42/race_card_qualify.aspx

On the other hand, it would probably win a championship because it wouldn't break down or blow up and every other race, and would be much easier not to spin off

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

[quote="Mimetic" post="442140102"]

For fun I compared the 1964 British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch with the 2011 British GT championship results, but I don't know how much that circuit has changed other than it seems shorter today based on math. Anyway, Jim Clark's qualifying lap in 1964 was 1:38:1, which is about 97mph over 2.65 miles. An SLS AMG GT3 did a 1:28.6 in 2011 with an average speed of 98.87mph which would work out to 2.42 miles. If you take Clark's average speed over the shorter distance, it'd be a 1:29:8.

/quote]

It's not changed much. Graham Hill is a little different, Dingle Dell is a little different. Broadly other than that the layout is very similar but of course, different conditions, different tarmac etc etc.

And of course that's the racing SLS on much, MUCH better tyres than the F1 would have had access to.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Sulman posted:

Huh? She had a very good Indycar run with KV.

I guess if you consider 13th out of 19 full time drivers in a pretty weak series talent wise good?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Mimetic posted:

e: wrong year

Awesome.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Dudley posted:

It's not changed much. Graham Hill is a little different, Dingle Dell is a little different. Broadly other than that the layout is very similar but of course, different conditions, different tarmac etc etc.

And of course that's the racing SLS on much, MUCH better tyres than the F1 would have had access to.

It's also worth pointing out that in 1964 F1 cars were running on 1.5 litre engines (the V8 Climax in the case of Clark's Lotus 25), so they were pretty down on horsepower compared to the ones that immediately followed - pole in 1966 was four seconds faster than in 1964; and then in 1968 once the Cosworth DFV had made its debut it was ten seconds faster.

e: (For reference, the SLS has a 6.2 litre engine)

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

Thanks to Felipe, I won't be able to sleep tonight.

:zombie:

(Yes, he posted a screenshot of his own Instagram on his Twitter)

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

There's something so... "Weekend At Bernie's" about that picture. I even feel bad for thinking it, but I can't help it.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He looks better than Stephen Hawking

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

poopzilla posted:

he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes
All British team owners have that look.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Jam posted:

I guess if you consider 13th out of 19 full time drivers in a pretty weak series talent wise good?

She beat Sato.

entropy1049
Apr 2, 2010

Line the pan with Crisco when I dance this Disco.

Ilanin posted:

It's also worth pointing out that in 1964 F1 cars were running on 1.5 litre engines (the V8 Climax in the case of Clark's Lotus 25), so they were pretty down on horsepower compared to the ones that immediately followed - pole in 1966 was four seconds faster than in 1964; and then in 1968 once the Cosworth DFV had made its debut it was ten seconds faster.

There's a pretty awesome video out there of Graham Hill taking the 49 out for the first time. He has what was for Graham Hill the equivalent of pants shits ("It's got some pluck"). Can you imagine coming out of a 25 (granted the Cov Climax was no slouch) and hoping into a C-DSV powered, monocoque chassis 49? Hill said it was like driving an exploding hand grenade. Probably required more pure driving skill to get the most out of that car than anything else in the history of F1, but an effective driver was rewarded with a car that would stand on it's head. What was it, 1980-82 that the C-DSV was finally retired by most teams?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

CratSock posted:

There's something so... "Weekend At Bernie's" about that picture. I even feel bad for thinking it, but I can't help it.

Which lifeless half dead guy are you talking about in the picture?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

This year's summer blockbuster! Two men, two accidents, one vision... when a special owner meets a special driver, magic is always bound to happen. Frank has a working brain, calculating and keen, left over from his days as a convicted killer - but a knackered body. Felipe took a spring to the face and has never been the same since - but he has legs that he can walk on. This unlikely pair, whose lives revolve around sitting in wheeled seats, make an unlikely pair. But with help from their old friend and dependable Northerner, Bobby S; and thread favourite and full-time woman Claire W, maybe, just maybe, they can make it... one last ride.

This summer, watch out for "When Frankie Met Felipe": coming to a cinema near you

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 1, 2015

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

Nico Rosberg tweets: "Ready for another marathon. preparing like a prize fighter..."

lol.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
did I miss anything the last 700 posts whilst my phone was busted?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

RIP alonso

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Looks like Felipe stole one of Frank's chromosomes

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
thread title forever

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Only way Nico is going to beat Lewis is if he starts banging Nicole/Roscoe/both.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Wouldn't last an hour in the rough streets of Stevenage

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Every F1 driver is a fraud

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Down the road - not across the street, Nico.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I see McLaren are saving time by not even bothering to go out today

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ilanin posted:

Yep. So putting it very solidly ahead of modern GT3, let alone a road based safety car.

Also imagine how dull F1 would have been if Lotus had kept an exclusive on that engine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You Am I posted:

All British team owners have that look.

He was talking about Massa.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

• The greatest F1 manager of all time Ron Dennis disappointed a lot of nerds by painting his new car black and silver instead of red and white.
  • The greatest Mexican driver of all time Fernando Alonso was disappointed with the colour of the new car and drove into a wall killing himself dead.
  • The people of reddit and a lot of other virgins on the internet decided it was not a suicide bid but a conspiracy and that Ron Dennis (blessed be his name) tried to kill Alonso because Alonso grassed him up in 2007.
  • It was decided all women who drive are slags with no talent.
  • A slag with no talent has been signed to Bad Lotus to test their car. Many hilarious jokes were made by chaps who wanted spuff up her minge.
  • There have been some test sessions in Portugal or Mexico or somewhere awful like that. McLaren have been sandbagging in all of them and Ferrari have been cheating in all of them.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
How many actually useful, racing speed laps have Mclaren done in testing? Like I know there was a couple of times they had 50 odd laps, but atleast half of them were in/out laps or way off the pace. Meanwhile Merc have been doing race-sims since the first test. The mileage disadvantage they are up against now (especially when its the only Honda team) is going to gently caress them so bad. Isn't it 4 engines this year?? By like Monaco they will be getting grid penalties!

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

AgentJotun posted:

How many actually useful, racing speed laps have Mclaren done in testing? Like I know there was a couple of times they had 50 odd laps, but atleast half of them were in/out laps or way off the pace. Meanwhile Merc have been doing race-sims since the first test. The mileage disadvantage they are up against now (especially when its the only Honda team) is going to gently caress them so bad. Isn't it 4 engines this year?? By like Monaco they will be getting grid penalties!

One can hope.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Sauber could be a mid-top pack runner for the first few races this year if this reliability holds up.

As for McLaren, they've done 349 laps total in pre-season testing, of which about 30-40 are full pelt. Even Boullier says they won't be competitive until Europe.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So who's renewing the GP Predictor comp?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Diet Crack posted:

So who's renewing the GP Predictor comp?

I'm pretty sure you're not talking about mine but I'll post it again anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
http://hasmaldonadocrashedtoday.com/

• Locked thread