Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Alonso's had an off, Benson's as cringy as ever:

quote:

"The Circuit De Catalunya's Twitter feed is reporting a 'crash' for Fernando Alonso at Turn Four. It's unclear for now whether they mean he has spun off into the gravel, or actually hit something solid.

"If it is an accident, you have to say it is very rare indeed for Alonso to make a mistake, which may or may not be the case in this situation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Kinda puts things into perspective when they keep talking about the crash in terms of "consciousness" rather than injury.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

But before the cars are shipped off to Australia one question hangs above all others - will Fernando Alonso, arguably the sport's greatest participant, even be there?

the sport's greatest participant

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

The teams you should actively wish to be gone are the likes of Caterham. Meanwhile, Marussia quietly made progress but still went belly up and should be mourned however they at least seem to be coming back.

Caterham made more progress than Marussia, they just had worse drivers.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Also

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Basically the purple's a bit more distinct this year.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

geke rowsperg posted:

lol, apparently Alonso woke up from the crash and electric shock thinking he was still driving for Ferrari and now refuses to sit back in the McLaren in fear of getting shocked by the car again. Great job by everyone involved!

Imagine waking up from a nightmare to find out it is in fact a reality

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Who wants Malaysia

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Here's my Malaysia thingy then. I can't really do funny for tracks (or at all, but tracks especially) so I went with facts instead. Oh yeah, notice me and all that.

quote:

Malaysia's Sepang circuit was the first of a new breed of Asian and Tilke tracks. Its debut was so long ago, in fact, that none of the current crop of drivers took part in the first F1 race there, not even old man Jense, and Max Verstappen was but a twinkle in his father's test tube. The circuit's known for two things: The two massively long straights, punctuated by hairpins that were to become a Tilke staple, and the death of Moto GP racer Marco Simoncelli.

The Malaysian GP has established itself as the second race of the season, where it takes all the hope and chaos brought on by Australia, and... doesn't really do much with it. While it hasn't necessarily produced many memorable races per se, there have been plenty of key moments to make you think "Oh yeah, I remember that":

1999: What turned out to be Eddie Irvine's last win in F1 as his frankly bizarre title challenge hit its peak, abetted by his able rear-gunner Michael Schumacher in his return to action after delighting the Silverstone crowd earlier in the year.
2002: Schumacher and fan-favourite Juan Pablo Montoya had a moment; Schumacher went on to finish third, his worst result of the year (those were the days). Ralf Schumacher won the race. Honest.
2004: This was apparently Jenson Button's first podium finish, for BAR, finishing third behind Schumacher and Montoya. This is a second sentence to make it look like I've written up more about it.
2007: Fernando Alonso's first win for McLaren. If he returns in time for Malaysia this year he'll be hoping to make it his first win for McLaren.
2009: One of the few times in F1 history half-points were given out, and I think the most recent, as it was abandoned about half-way through due to rain. Moist Master Button won, while Rubens Barrichello took the fastest car in the field by some margin all the way up to fifth. Behind two Toyotas.
2012: Part of the craziest season in recent memory, Sergio Perez (remember him?) nearly won the race, charging after Alonso before promptly falling off the road. He still finished second.
2013: The establishing of Lewis Hamilton as the top dog in the Mercedes pack, the team ordering Nico Rosberg to stay behind the former's slightly ailing car. History has proven this to be the point where Rosberg's brain snapped, culminating in his rather embarrassing title challenge of 2014.

As for this year, look out for Alonso's re-debut, and to see if half the teams on the grid can afford to turn up for a second race.

HJB fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 7, 2015

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Also I trust Brainwrong/willcrouch/ukle will throw in a suitable To The Manor Born reference.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Ilanin posted:

Autodromo Nationale Monza, Monza, Italy

Circuit Length: 3.6 miles (5.79 km)
Race Distance: 53 Laps
Lap Record: 1:21.046 (Barrichello, Ferrari, 2004)
2014 Pole: 1:24.109 (Hamilton, Mercedes)
2014 Fastest Lap: 1:28.004 (Hamilton, Mercedes)

Oh yeah these might be important things to shove on top of my blurb

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Who'd have thought a millionaire's playground would be a fun place to hang out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

More importantly, will Felipe Nasr still feature this season? I don't want any potential Massa-Nasr action snatched away from me at the last second

• Locked thread