Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

be nice wicka posted:

sauber had some no-name test driver from hong kong at abu dhabi last year and no one noticed, he had equally poo poo GP3 results

I don't remember the name. I don't remember who we're discussing now either. Does that make me better or worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

CratSock posted:

Can one of you spergelords compile a chart showing the new hot girl's feeder results to Suzie, Yuje Ide, Max Chilton, Paul DiResta, Formula 1 Race Winner Pastor Maldonado and some other poo poo driver like Vettel?

Something wrong with your list

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

Di Resta doesn't belong there. I'm mean yeah he's an rear end in a top hat but whatever.

I think "whatever" is pretty much the best description of him

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

be nice wicka posted:

mclaren clearly went ultra aggressive with the packaging for this year, that's presumably why there's so little margin for error. and that partially makes sense. they're functionally a year behind mercedes, they can't catch up without taking some big risks and hoping they pay off. but that's all irrelevant if they fry the driver

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

His co-driver is a journalist whose arse sphincter is probably replacing his oesophagus

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

*stonerman

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Ralf Schumacher would definitely beat any female F1 driver.

Everyone missed this, but the proper response is "yes, he literally would"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Spaced God posted:

Apparently the Alonso crash is a McClaren cover-up :tinfoil:

I like to think we can bring together 2 thread favourites out of this: Ron "Sperglord" Dennis being himself, and ~~mindgames~~

Ron has seen that a lack of information is apparently upsetting or otherwise stopping other drivers from relaxing (according to that article, this is a Fact with a capital F)

So he's deliberately keeping Ferdie in hospital longer than he needs to and witholding the camera footage so that it *looks like* a coverup

The FIA were busying about because there are rules governing ownership of testing footage and Ron is trying to stall them or otherwise convince them that the camera memory chip is a car component and therefore property of Macca (or something like that)

All of this for the purpose of ~~mindgames~~

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Funzo posted:

Did they really need to put her in heels for that picture? Would her being in her racing shoes have lessened the quality of that image somehow? It would be really nice if someone could promote a woman driver without having to resort to that kind of nonsense. Williams seems to have done a pretty decent job of talking about Susie Wolff without resorting to putting her in a short dress or things like that. Usually she's in a firesuit, just like the men on the team.

Is it a coincidence that Williams is run by a woman?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I think you misread because the article I read basically said "Shame on lotus for hiring a driver as a pair of boobs in heels to parade around like a piece of meat"

Truly the vilest of lotuses

Fake edit, I meant to write 'evilest' but I actually think that works better

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

Ricardo Rosset sells shoes now.

Eddie Irvine runs a paint balling and karting place

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

simplefish posted:

Eddie Irvine runs a paint balling and karting place

Also he is likely to get/has got 6 months in prison but it has been/is likely to be a suspended sentence

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Mimetic posted:

One problem is the circuit layouts changing over time. Spa is obviously out if you want to go really far back because it doesn't go through the woods anymore.

For fun I compared the 1964 British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch with the 2013 British GT championship results, but I don't know how much that circuit has changed other than it seems shorter today based on math. Anyway, Jim Clark's qualifying lap in 1964 was 1:38:1, which is about 97mph over 2.65 miles. An SLS AMG GT3 did a 1:28.6 in 2011 with an average speed of 98.87mph which would work out to 2.42 miles. If you take Clark's average speed over the shorter distance, it'd be a 1:29:8.

So yeah. Imperfect comparison, but it looks like the racing SLS isn't that much faster than a 1960s F1 car.

http://f1pulse.com/racecard/British_Grand_Prix_1964/3B3C42/race_card_qualify.aspx

http://www.britishgt.com/results.php?event=3&season=2011&session=Qualifying%201

On the other hand, it would probably win a championship because it wouldn't break down or blow up and every other race, and would be much easier not to spin off

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

This year's summer blockbuster! Two men, two accidents, one vision... when a special owner meets a special driver, magic is always bound to happen. Frank has a working brain, calculating and keen, left over from his days as a convicted killer - but a knackered body. Felipe took a spring to the face and has never been the same since - but he has legs that he can walk on. This unlikely pair, whose lives revolve around sitting in wheeled seats, make an unlikely pair. But with help from their old friend and dependable Northerner, Bobby S; and thread favourite and full-time woman Claire W, maybe, just maybe, they can make it... one last ride.

This summer, watch out for "When Frankie Met Felipe": coming to a cinema near you

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 1, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Farmland Park posted:

I always thought Max Chill would be a good endurance driver. Good for him. And it's not like Nissan needs his dads blood money anyway.

Pretty much this. Also Kimi because he stopped giving a poo poo and is pretty reliable

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

JFairfax posted:

what will they do if Magnussen wins the Australian grand prix?

He gets points, Macca get points, if he never races again this season then his season point total is whatever he gets in that race.

Pretty simple, really.

Unless you mean "Would they keep him in the car?" in which case, no. Certainly not.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

gret posted:

He needs to win one to actually remember becoming world champion.

christ that's cold

I mean, not you, I mean fate Ron taking that away from him.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

9 days you pieces of utter poo poo.

See you there and gently caress you too :tipshat:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Fumble posted:

Look on the bright side, Fernando mk2 will have Ron there to help him develop a well balanced and stable personality. #Bendito #GranAvión.

More like #bandito

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Not so, Moss suffered an appalling brain injury in years gone by, but I cannot remember the details.

Nor can he

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Norns posted:

How old is Fernando today?

How old do you want him to be?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Riso posted:

I wrote it months ago. Please use in the 2015 season opener, thanks.

It was the dawn of a new age.
Honda has returned to Formula 1.

Ron Dennis hopes to rekindle the unholy alliance that dominated the sport from 1988-1991. No stone was left unturned at McLaren after Ron Dennis took back the reigns. The weak (Sam Michael) were culled and the strong (Podromou) were poached. The former head aero genius at the no good cheating drink company's rolling marketing now controls the winds at a proper racing focused engineering team.

Ron Dennis' final coup to bring it all together on track was liberating Fernando Alonso from the stifling incompetency of a Spaghetti team.
In an uncharacteristically smart decision, most likeable British Tory racing driver Jenson Button was retained to be his team mate.

Needs updating

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

:rice::rice:
code:
FERRARI
    TEAM - Ghost of Mussolini
    VETTEL - Butt Wizard
    KIMI - Diplomat

FINDIA 
    TEAM - Ilanin (track or team only)
    PEREZ - CratSock (driver only)
    HULK - thegasman2000

LOTUS
    TEAM - gret
    BIG JOHN - Myrddin_Emrys
    F1 RACE WINNER PASTOR MALDONADO - The Sweet Hereafter

MANOR 
    TEAM - Brainwrong  
    WILL STEVENS - willcrouch
    ???? - ukle
McLAREN    
    TEAM - Riso (because why not)
    ALONSO - Jedit
    BUTTON - NtotheTC
    K-MAG - poty

MERCEDES
    TEAM - Alain Post (team only?)
    ARE LEWIS - jammyozzy
    NICO - George Zimmer

RED BULL
    TEAM - poopzilla
    AUSSIE DAN - Flayer
    RUSSIAN DAN - MrL_JaKiri

SAUBER
    Team - Daduzi
    ERICSSON - enri
    NASR - krushgroove

TORO ROSSO
    TEAM - captainOrbital
    BAD MAX - Serperoth    
    Juan Carlos Jr. - Rhopunzel

WILLIAMS
    TEAM - pik_d
    MASSA - Sashimi
    BUTT rear end - Jon Von Anchovi (Driver Only)

TRACKS
    AUSTRALIA: Melbourne 	15 March
    keevo

MALAYSIA: Kuala Lumpur         	29 March
    HJB

CHINA: Shanghai 	12 April
    Funzo

BAHRAIN: Bahrain	19 April
    simplefish

SPAIN: Barcelona-Catalunya 	10 May
    Falken

6 	Monaco Grand Prix 	Monaco  Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo 	24 May
aequalis

7 	Canadian Grand Prix 	Canada Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal 	7 June
8 	Austrian Grand Prix 	Austria Red Bull Ring, Spielberg 	21 June
9 	British Grand Prix 	United Kingdom Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone 	5 July
10 	German Grand Prix 	To be announced[43][44] 	19 July
11 	Hungarian Grand Prix 	Hungary Hungaroring, Budapest 	26 July
12 	Belgian Grand Prix 	Belgium Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Stavelot 	23 August
13 	Italian Grand Prix 	Italy Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza 	6 September
14 	Singapore Grand Prix 	Singapore Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore 	20 September
15 	Japanese Grand Prix 	Japan Suzuka Circuit, Suzuka 	27 September  
16 	Russian Grand Prix 	Russia Sochi Autodrom, Sochi 	11 October
17 	United States Grand Prix 	United States Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas 	25 October
18 	Mexican Grand Prix 	Mexico Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Mexico City        	1 November
19 	Brazilian Grand Prix 	Brazil Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo 	15 November
20 	Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 	United Arab Emirates Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi 	29 November
Right then you nerds, get writing. Feel free to swap assignments around if you like but if nobody swaps with you, don't whine about it.
Co-ordinating with your team/driver buddies is encouraged.
Team people should include notable figures, like Sam Michael, Boullier, Ron, Wolff etc
Oh and include things for your team/driver even that you think are stupid. The OP should orientate new fans and partners, so Hammer Time should probably be explained, even if you think it shouldn't be a catchphrase. On that note, it'd probably be helpful if whoever got the Enstone team could explain why commentators will be talking about an Enstone team when there is no team called Enstone, and why Eddie Jordan cares so much about Force India - things like that, places and history.

I suppose someone can do a #forza post for Michael, whom we must keep fighting apparently, and Jules, who drools and not much else.

Other tracks to be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

Now is a good time to bring out your gifs and other pictures or links that we will probably use next year, for example:
any maldonaderps
the link to the anime f1 intro
dreadlock marshall in funny hat (both years)
Kimi stuff about having a poo poo, eating ice cream, knowing what he is doing
the Canada bird
Horny Horner
Beautiful britney
vettel crashing into a sign
any really good overtakes
are lewis photoshops and tweets #megajet
someone wanted to put together a list of old races? throw that in too.
whatever else that I can't remember right now

:siren: IF YOU WANT IT IN THE NEW OP, WRITE "notice me" [quote marks obviously not needed] SOMEWHERE ON YOUR POST:siren:
I am happy to curate this, but if you want it in, you've got to put the tag on or I'll probably miss it because I'm going to ctrl+f "notice me" to find content

Oh, and everything is a suggestion. So if you don't want to include anything I mentioned, then don't. It's important that you are able to write your own thing, rather than feeling I'm prescriptive, because the patchwork nature is what we're aiming for.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 7, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

blame random.org

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

aequalis posted:

I don't know whether to be glad I didn't get randomly selected or sad about it.

Also, I think Carbonate and NicktheNorse should be highlighted as thread MVPs due to their affiliation with F1. Just throwing it out there.

Bollocks, I may have dropped you off the list by accident putting a driver-only person on a driver

Have Monaco while I go check everyone else is there

e: well despite George Zimmer being in the list twice, everything should be okay now

e2: yes anyone who is connected to F1 can write a little piece, so we know, when people are being silly about yellow flags (not in the sense that Jules was), who isn't talking out of their arse

Generally if you want to put something in the OP, I'll put it in.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 7, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Butt Wizard posted:

Jesus Christ i have the most important one. How much do you want?

Can someone with archives pull up and post the teams/drivers summary from 2011, please? That one had good sections.

They can be a bit longer than those were if you want, so 150-400 words as a rough guide (not a hard limit) (regardless of team, driver, or track). 120 as a minimum even if you got a nobody driver, just quote their Formula Funsies results if you can't think of anything else.

And don't forget to send in those pics/links!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

[/quote]

Thank you! It was the Daveh one I was remembering, but I like those little cars.

In terms of driver profile pics, I can find them so they match nicely. But if you want to compare your driver to a bond villain, by all means include a picture of your own choosing too

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

HJB posted:

Here's my Malaysia thingy then. I can't really do funny for tracks (or at all, but tracks especially) so I went with facts instead. Oh yeah, notice me and all that.

This is exactly the sort of thing!

If anyone else is doing one, feel free to add in anything like tyre wear being a factor, whether it favours mechanical grip/Red Bull because of sweeping fast corners/Merc Engines because of straight line speed/no overtaking is possible at all ever/ even the weather
Basically if you know it, throw it in.
Also, if you don't know, don't worry, you'll have taught someone something regardless.
If it's unsupported opinion, throw it in, because it's your track report, dammit!

Also, turns out I'm thinking of this from previous years (not either of which was posted but thank you anyway because it's given me some more ideas!), which I saved as a word document when my wife started getting interested in F1. No idea who wrote it, but it gives a bit more detail than a few bullet points, which is the main thing:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Took me a minute to figure out this was the username assignment for the writeups, and not just a free form random insult against Ferrari, Vettel and Kimi.

Nice spot! It does work pretty well

keevo posted:

Are we really going to let a bunch of goons write this? This is really going to be the worst OP.

Ah poo poo. I don't even remember signing up for this or wanting to sign up for this. :doh:

Yes it is. The Best of the Worst.

harperdc posted:

NOTICE ME

If only because I'm bored tonight and want to write, I can handle all of the tracks from Canada on unless that's frowned upon in which case I'll write about a couple to be chosen later.
Do it - they're unclaimed and we're going to need them

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

I think you'll find I have the most important one.

I'd love to do few track writeups too, if nobody else is interested? If only because it might give me a chance to wax lyrical about Belgium.
Do it, if we end up with 2 writeups for the same track, it's better than having none.

Ilanin posted:

I was going to pick out some tracks as well as Force India. However, somebody with more sense of humour than me needs to write about the German Grand Prix, and discuss whether or not it will take place in Germany.
Do it, don't worry about being "funny" - someone will probably think you're hilarious and someone else will think you're shitposting either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

track day bro! posted:

Exactly, If you want to do driver/team bios or whatever just use this very good and true example.

If you don't want to do it, fine, don't do it.

I've used the OPs to give new fans some idea of what f1 is about. I think having an OP is important, even if people are being directed to it rather than stumbling across it. And anyway, the fan base is growing, so maybe someone would prefer to read an op than risk getting their head bitten off by a snotty shitcunt like you in response to a newbie question.

A few sentences (150-400 words) gives a good summary without being intimidating.

I think spreading the workload around is a good idea. I dont have time to write a whole OP, and you're doing a great job of showing what a thankless task it can be. So rather than bitching about something you won't read or write, why not just shut up and let people who do want to be involved get on and write their bit.

• Locked thread