Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Kimi is the only Ferrari employee that has made it through this year without being fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

be nice wicka posted:

no, the rumors are that mattiaci's appointment was always going to be temporary and that it was meant to groom him for the role di montezemolo held within ferrari (presumably once ferrari is spun off from fiat)

Doesn't line up with the rumors that he's been poking around Aston Martin's and McLaren's road car divisions.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I get the feeling this guy is just product placement for Marlboro. He'll be chain smoking whenever we see him on camera.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Ferrari seems content to consistently demonstrate that buying a Mercedes B class is better/more prestigious then buying any Ferrari. Its amazing that in an organization devoted to building high performance cars they can't find one person in there to lead a racing team.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Sulman posted:

I think the last thing F1 needs at the moment is dogshit Ferrari, as amusing as they are.

Yeah the same guys who came up with the idea "Hey let's build a smaller engine with less power because the aero gains from our wind tunnel that doesn't work will be massive" should really stop making lovely cars.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Riso posted:

The 2014 Ferrari's main problem is not even close to being the aero. It's the ridiculously weak and small power unit.

Yes but the intention with the weak tiny power unit was to get better gains with aero. Somebody sat down at Ferrari, crunched the aero and engine data and thought this was a brilliant idea.

And after years of them being nowhere with aero and them even struggling to correlate the data from the Toyota wind tunnel to on track data nobody thought to raise the point that maybe they don't know what they're talking about and this small engine idea could be a bust.

Ferrari's main problem is a personnel problem.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

captainOrbital posted:

Hey man, Bernie says think before you drive!

I wish Bernie would think about driving off a bridge.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Falken posted:

I really do wonder when (if?) Vettel is going to win another championship.

Heck, a race win?

The way things are going you should be wondering when he's going to get points.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

AgentJotun posted:

Didn't he recently predict that Alonso would make an announcement regarding Mclaren at like Monza or something?

He did and I also believe he posted a rant about a day or so before how all other F1 journalists are bottom feeding scum of the earth and only he can be trusted because he vets his sources and has a relationship of trust with them so he'd never get false info.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I feel sorry for whoever gets Vettel. Only way you could frame it positively is by pretending he's coming back from a sabbatical.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
So that Honda seems like a helluva engine. Alonso will definitely be 2015 WDC.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Boullier says they're aiming to win in Australia though so its all good.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

serious gaylord posted:

I cant wait to read all the attempts at forced humour and unfunny jokes. Pause.

Precisely the reason I'm not volunteering. It would sound brilliant in my head but bomb horribly.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

poty posted:

Will you accept a 323-page epic fantasy adventure paperback I wrote starring one L. Hamilton as the bio for Lewis?

Can he morph into a blessed panther in it? If not I've got zero interest.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Every time you guys do Claire Williams jokes, I get loving probated!!

I'd like to probate Claire Williams.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Dubs posted:

The mclaren at testing has a dong nose :(

To be fair they've got an engine they can't even keep running for more than 3 non consecutive laps. Removing a marital aid from the front of their car probably isn't their top priority.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

AgentJotun posted:

That is one fair skinned journalist.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Have to go with Rosberg. Came into this season expecting Hamilton to mushroom stamp him but he somehow got under his skin and kept in it until the last race.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Riso posted:

McLaren is actually trying to test two different cars.

MP4-29H/1x1 has a Merc style PU with compressor in front, while the 2x1 has the compressor in the back.
The 2x1 was apparently Hondas original design.

And here I was thinking 2x1 was the number of laps Honda thought it could do without breaking down.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Sky sports is reporting that the all conquering McLaren Honda has completed an eye watering 2 laps today.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

Remember how we were all crowing about Red Bull's terrible reliability in testing, and then they won 3 races and placed second in the championship?

They also completed 11 laps in the first two days of testing.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

krushgroove posted:

Yeah it's not great, but there are a lot of bugs that have to be sorted out with a new engine/battery hybrid system to fit into a car previously designed for a completely different system. Could have gone better but it's a shakedown run.

Are the teams allowed to have a 'rolling road' setup at their factories, to simulate bumps and things with the engine running and wheels turning? Or does that even exist? Are they allowed a car dyno like some tuning & performance shops have?

I believe they have some sort of testing rig the engine and hybrid stuff is bolted into that can simulate bumps and stuff like that. Dont know the exact rules but I do believe the teams are barred from performing rolling road tests and stuff like that.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

I thought have haven't done much running because they're having problems with their car's data. Not much point running a car around and getting inaccurate information.

That never stopped Ferrari when they couldn't correlate wind tunnel data in 2012.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Dudley posted:

Renault were doing that in March and still won 3 races, 2 laps in a test hack in November isn't good but it doesn't mean a lot.

Those 2 days were months later though.

Not saying they're doomed but its not a good sign either. Red bull won those 3 races off the strength of their chassis and aero and despite the testing setbacks.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Ferrari may be the most interesting team to follow next season. Either the car was built too much around Alonso and we see a bit of a rebound or Alonso is vindicated as they struggle to get into the points.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Dudley posted:

Looks like the Hulk might have landed a seat in the 3rd Porsche at LeMans.

Multi-discipline F1 drivers are back. This is excellent.

https://twitter.com/NicoHulkenberg

Good to see. Was afraid this was gone forever after Kubica's accident.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Lewis' brakes failed in Canada because he was behind Rosberg whereas Rosberg was getting clear air to his brakes still. Had the situation been reverse Rosberg would've retired and Lewis would've been fine.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Riso posted:

lol Horner: we don't care if Mercedes leaves, changing the engine formula in 2016 is for the good of the sport

Its amazing how much more of a whiny little bitch he's become just because they haven't won the title in one year.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

VodeAndreas posted:

They said Grid not Gate so I'm guessing they were for cattle/stock grids... So added chance of random sheep wandering on the track? Adds some extra terror I guess.

Rally is fantastic to watch.

Yeah they're cattle gates and absolutely brutal. Caved in my oil pan on one in a regularity rally last year.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

El Hefe posted:

Lewis Hamilton is gayer than Kanye West and about as much as a gangsta as him too.

Kanye wouldn't have driven for a pleb manufacturer like Mercedes. He would only drive for Lambo and would've spent 5,000 hours working with engineers to get the perfect engine sound.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

pik_d posted:

In some actual F1 news, Carlos Sainz Jr. gets the 2nd Toro Rosso seat.

Source

Red Bull just wants Carlos Sainz' input on how to cheat better.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Dudley posted:

It's not exactly like it worked out for TTE in F1.

Thats because there were no turbos to cheat with then.

but there are now.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
we can't even have gravel traps anymore, what makes you think that's going to happen?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
So who is ready for McLaren's big announcement that they're putting off announcing their driver lineup to Jan 1?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

HJB posted:

The lad's a four-time champion yet looks completely overawed by the whole thing.

He's just shocked that Alonso almost stole the championship from him in a dogshit car like that.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

keevo posted:

It's too bad Ferrari doesn't have financial issues because it'd be really funny to read that they're bankrupt because of Vettel.

give it time.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Riso posted:

And his name is Adrian Newey.

We all know it wasn't the steering column that broke and the worlds best driver decided to drive headfirst into a wall instead of losing a WDC to that fraud Schumacher.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't understand the Japanese infatuation with Senna.

I believe its brazilians in general. The only reason McLaren and Senna got the Honda engine was that Honda was quite pissed that Piquet wasn't given total #1 status at Williams. Once Piquet left Honda pulled the plug on Williams.

But of course according to the Senna doc Our Patron Saint of Motorsports Ayrton Senna never held any advantage over Prost. The older I get the more I lean towards Prost being the better driver...

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

joe saward has always come across as just...the biggest piece of poo poo person in F1 journalism

Constantly berrating your peers and rambling on how you're the last honest voice in F1 while making completely false statements tends to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

dev null posted:

Not to mention moderating the comments on his articles with an absolute iron fist.

Speaking of F1 comment sections that are comedy gold. Who else enjoy reading thejudge13 just for the comments section? The site itself is garbage but the comment section is full of nutjobs conspiracies like Vettel has been the set up to fail by Red Bull unlike Webber who was just a bad driver who caused KERS to fail himself and that Rosberg has been forced to surrender the lead to Hamilton by Mercedes.

• Locked thread