Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
What is it with F1 Journalists fancying becoming a team owner. Didn't Peter Windsor keep saying USGP was having no problems as it went bust as well? You don't see reporters for the NFL figuring they have what it takes to run a team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Like they aren't just going to delay the announcement again.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Dudley posted:

Will they also decide on their title sponsor for 2014?

First race of 2015. Ron Dennis is always good for his word.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
If McLaren announces their drivers by the end of the week I will eat my hat and buy a McLaren Honda one to replace it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

skooma512 posted:

Finally finished watching the last race.

Mercedes OP pls nerf.

Get out of this thread Horner.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Good to see Ron Dennis has brought his decisive leadership style back to McLaren.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Daveh posted:

Both Button and Kevin should just bugger off to WEC or similar and gently caress McLaren.

Can a seat even be found in LMP1 this late in the year? That would be dependent on Porsche running another car would it not?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

I want to see another LIFE engine. Or another Porsche air-cooled flat 12, or something else equally as nuts.

Wasn't the flat 12 a Subaru?

Also wasn't Toyota's base of operations in Germany? That worked out pretty good.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

The Flat-12 was a Subaru, designed by Carlo Chiti, ex-Ferrari (and Alfa?) guy I think. There was no Japanese involvement other than money. Porsche made a horrible V12 in 1991 for Footwork.

Yeah, Subaru just slapped their name on it despite it already being known that it was overweight and underpowered if I remember correctly.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Butt Wizard posted:

A VAG entry would be kind of interesting. If the WRC entry was anything to go by, it will be 'How much do we have to spend to win our first race?' and the real budget will include years of development work before they made an official entry so they aren't subject to testing rules. It didn't really work out well for Toyota but TTE was a mess in the mid 90s and it never sorted itself out. VAG's rally programme is at its peak, not its shameful cheaty-Pete worse at the moment, so it's a pretty different situation.

So two years of Skoda F1 before we get the full VAG?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

thegasman2000 posted:

fixed that for you...

I can't think of too many things in life that would make me happier than a Lamborghini beating Sebastian Vettel in a Ferrari in the WDC.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
My bet is on Audi. They've had a hard-on for one-upping Mercedes since the 90s.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

George Zimmer posted:

I'd put my bet on them running under the Lamborghini marque. Why ruin the good thing Audi has going in LMP1?

Because their main competitor is currently the top team in F1. Lambo has never really been about motorsports anyways.

I also agree with everyone that Porsche would be the best entry. I think their just about the only VAG marque left that still has a RWD platform.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Butt Wizard posted:

Why is that a surprise? The Billionaire Club has done to the America's Cup exactly what Red Bull has done with the WRC - ruined it

I cry myself to sleep over what's happened to WRC because of Red Bull.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

In fairness, it was ruined before Red Bull took it over. The concern now is trying to prevent Red Bull from pissing on the corpse and turning it into rallycross.

Absolutely, the current rules have been a complete failure. But I can't help but feeling that it'll get worse so long as Red Bull is loving the corpse.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Butt Wizard posted:

There's all sorts of rumours about Oracle's boat having some wacky self-leveling technology that wasn't strictly legal but TNZ couldn't challenge it because they didn't understand how it worked until it was too late to do anything.

No wonder Adrian Newey loves this poo poo.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is Newey gonna kill a Brazilian religious zealot again but this time on water?

Reasons to start watching America's Cup.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The driver announcement will definitely be before the first race and will definitely be announced alongside the title sponsor.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Its worth noting that it has been mentioned in a few places that Martini approached McLaren before they went to Williams. McLaren's asking price was supposedly so ridiculous that they decided to go with a team that almost didn't score any points last year.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

ron dennis is a man who specifically requested a size of tile for the MTC floors so they wouldn't have to cut any to fit and would have full-size tiles everywhere. imagine how he'd feel with the wal-mart logo on the front of that building.

Imagine if he put that level of effort and resources towards something like building a race car.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Ron Dennis doesn't have OCD so much as he has Rich rear end in a top hat Disorder.

I live in the hood. I'm much more concerned about loving Somali gangs trying to burn my condo building down than how my flooring lines up even if it does look awkward.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Louis Theroux meets Ron Dennis would be comedy gold.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Justice has been restored to the universe.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

keevo posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have put their trophy case at the front door.

Its hard to really value something you didn't earn enough to do that.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

monkeytennis posted:

How exactly do they measure engine development? I'm not at all sure how the authorities can tell it's been reduced by 50% for example.

Apologies for the serious question!

There is a points system with each part of the engine being given a certain amount of points and a maximum amount of points you can submit for change. Engine manufacturers submit their spec engine to the FIA so obviously the one from last year is compared to this year to see the amount of parts changed.

There are pretty strict restrictions on the engine already so its reasonable to assume there is some investigation beyond just looking at parts side by side.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I find it amazing that either side has enough enthusiasm on whether a little 23x12 image should be displayed to defend it so vigorously despite it having no loving effect on anyone's life.

They should be the ones to decide the 2nd McLaren driver.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

It's just so utterly unimportant that I can't comprehend the mindset where you have an online slapfight about it.
I personally agree with the guy who thinks there should be a flag, but if I was in his shoes I'd just roll my eyes at the first revert and go do something actually interesting.

This.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

The current German flag looks stupid anyway.

Yeah back in the day the German flag used to stand for something.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I hope he doesn't take that too literally.

I hope he does otherwise 2015 is going to be boring.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

RALF posted:

Maybe they moved the German Grand Prix to Poland...

But how do we know Germany won't reannex Poland? We should remove the polish flag from any article showing an event taking place in Poland until we know Germany won't annex them.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Back in those days they dominated GP racing too. The good old days.

If memory serves they briefly changed their national flag to a crude rendition of a wheel to demonstrate their commitment to motorsports.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

FuzzySkinner posted:

e: I wonder how he would have qualified considering how freakish he was at doing that at places like Monaco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awCuP_umhVA

I was very excited at around the 30 second mark that this video would explain that by clearing himself of thetans Senna had given himself the ability to pass his car through solid matter but was then sorely let down.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
When your goal is to be Ferrari's B-team you really don't have to aim very high. They'll be on the grid in 2016.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Brainwrong posted:

They'll be at he back of the grid for 5 races in 2016. Then hire Colin Kolles. Then fold.

But think of all the lucrative CNC business he'll bring in

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I'm going ice racing in January and am inclined to believe my money would be better placed making the rear brakes work in my piece of poo poo Scirocco than trying to race a marussia.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Marussia came, inflicted two serious head injuries, then left. That's a pretty good record for such a relatively short time.

Newey has been trying for 20 years to get his second.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Sebastian Vettel posted:

McLaren have called a big media event for 10 am tomorrow. It's rumoured to be an announcement of the date on which they'll announce their drivers for next season.

Don't be so ridiculous. They're going to announce their 2014 title sponsor.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I'm hoping for LEGO-Mclaren Honda because it will finally identify the hardcore McLaren fans as what they really are manchilds

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Mclaren-We really should be working on our car but instead we're going to spend months deciding on a number 2 driver-Honda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Alonso/Chilton

Best driver lineup in F1 history.

• Locked thread