Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

darth cookie posted:

It was only ever put on as a work around to allow 6 engines in a season instead of 5.

5 instead of 4. And it didn't work because the original schedule still had 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Funzo posted:

Is there some kind of site that explains the differences and relationships between the different feeder series? I see F2, F3 and GP2 and GP3, but I have no idea what any of them really are.

GP2 and GP3 are the de facto "minor leagues" of F1 these days. They run almost exclusively on the same weekends as F1. GP2 is (as you might guess) above GP3.

Lewis and Nico both reached F1 after winning GP2. Valteri and Danil Kyvat both skipped there from GP3.

F2 and F3 are essentially the same thing but run by the FIA whereas GPx is Bernie led.

F2 no longer exists due to lack of interest. F3 runs as a european and several national series, the cars are effectively a level below GP3.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Der Kyhe posted:

So FIA basically made the bold decision that a series that no longer exists because nobody cares is better experience for F1 candidates than Formula E?

Even if Formula E is slow compared to F1, their specs are absolutely comparable to the Formula 3 cars.

As Daveh says they want to relaunch it themselves, they don't have any love for GP2 and 3 as they're not FIA. See also the screwing of WSR in the rankings.

The previous F2 was sanctioned by them but wasn't run by the FIA but by Motorsport Vision (Who own Brands Hatch and several other UK circuits and happen to be owned by Jonathan "Dad of Jolyon" Palmer)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Totally.

But it's the FIA screwing it over not me :)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Also T to turn the texture road off because it'll gently caress your PC right in the rear end.

F1-F6 to turn off the aids, at least turn off autobrake (f1)

and G to see who is in front of and behind you.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IT'S JUST SQUIRE

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Some of its his fault but he's been there or thereabout every single race and it's all gone horrible wrong.

He got lucky this time though, with the top 2 in the championship retiring and Sam Bird also getting a drive through.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wirth1000 posted:

Coulthard thinks that the superlicense system just introduced needs to be more flexible. Specifically, it should cater to up and coming "special" talent.

Coulthard is an idiot. What a hack. Spent 9 years at McLaren being Ron's complete lackey.

I wonder if he's check himself but David Coulthard would not have qualified to enter F1 under the new system, having 37 points for a 2nd in British F3 and a 3rd in International F3000 which I'm generously calling the same as GP2.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

be nice wicka posted:

could you imagine the possibilities if ron dennis has a sense of humor? i'd just reveal the car in HRT livery

HRT and Marussia with a zip down the middle.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Linedance posted:

I want to see some E-cig company sponsor a Formula-E car.

There's been a couple in Indycar, GRC and BTCC so it's only a matter of time.

Different thing but way back Williams carried Nicorette for a while.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Croc posted:

Can we update the wikipedia flag yet for the german gp?

Someone already has.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Given someone spotted Michael Schumacher wouldn't have got a super licence for his 2010 comeback the FIA have admitted they'll just hand out licences to whomever they like if they don't meet the criteria.

So yeah, that didn't last long. There's some gumph in the statement about it not happening often but we know that's bollocks already.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Tsaedje posted:

I had completely forgotten about him until he popped up at the back of the Formula e field and I went "...oh yeah, he exists"

The only reason I remember him is that he did GP2 and GP3 commentary alongside 62nd best karter in Britain Will Buxton.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

captainOrbital posted:

I have to admit that double points did give Britney a fighting chance for the last race, but I hope that they've gotten rid of it for this year like they said.

They have.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

It looks like last years Sauber.

It's certainly stolen their 2 remaining sponsors.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm bursting with anticipation for the first time Das Fingerkind does one of his sarcastic radio messages and the Ferrari management throw a wobbly.

"Everyone is faster than you....."

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The unsubtle erasing of tobacco sponsors from history makes me sad.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

This summer, Ron Dennis in "Honey I lost the sponsors".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I suspect McLaren, but that's literally just because of their drivers.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Honda buy both Caterham and Manor so they have someone for McLaren to be slower than. It doesn't work.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Riso posted:

:lol: Sauber lost their age old NEC sponsorship.

It was on the Force India.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Vando posted:

Now listen here, blue cars with yellow on them have a long successful history in F1 and

...never mind.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

They got 3 last year with a Renault engine that was considerably more garbage than this year's will be and with one fewer Mercedes team to race.

He's taking the piss out of Ferrari I suspect.

El Hefe posted:

They are sponsoring themselves tbh

That's like if McLaren decided to have a huge McLaren logo on their sidepods doesn't really makes it a sponsor

To be fair, ignore the Red Bull logo on the STR, still more sponsors than McLaren.

Brainwrong posted:

And put Stoddart in charge too. He was brilliant/awful/insane.

Stoddy was the last of a breed to be honest. He'd have fitted right in late 70s/early 80s.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

"We won't paint it orange, that's living in the past"
* Paints car corporate colour of previous lover and/or sponsor*
* Is Ron Dannis*

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

quote:

"I don't want to be too optimistic, because it is important to be realistic, but finishing third or fourth in the constructors' championship is really our target."

Lotus.

Seriously.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ukle posted:

Finishing the championship will be achievement for them, FI and Sauber.

Yeah. I assume it's a typo and their target was to finish 1/3rd of the championship.

They've hidden their lack of sponsors well actually but when you realise Genii is them and EMC might just be over represented in lieu of new sponsors we have totally signed you guys then it's a very thin car.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alain Post posted:

I've always heard that the Microsoft Dynamics deal isn't actually bringing in any cash either.

Wouldn't surprise me, it's getting their other sponsors into TV ads for free, so it's useful for attracting them.

In theory.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Jedit posted:

I'm hearing that Force India aren't testing because they don't have a tub for the cars. If so, it's not looking good for them being on the grid in Melbourne.

Sky said it was always going to be the 2014 car but they were trying to sell the drive and failed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CratSock posted:

Great, so we'll be down to what... 8 teams for 2015? Is it third car time yet?

If we do lose FIndia. It is.

For what it's worth I do know a guy at Force India with "senior" in his job title. He referred to the stories as "Shite".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think the ones that have to are already nominated. I did think it was Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's amazing how things change, randomly watching the 2012 review. First race, McLarens on the front row with sponsors everywhere, Jenson winning. 2nd race, a Sauber on the podium.

And this is only 3 years ago.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

This seems relevant in respect of Sauber's pace.

http://patronisef1.com/wordpress/features/in-memory-of-prosts-2001-testing-adventure/

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Where in the gently caress are McLaren getting that kind of money.

Better question, does that mean that it'll be Manor-Honda?

Still. Last time someone hastily re-engineered an old car to take a new engine it worked out pretty ok.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Marussia's request to run the 2014 car was rejected by the teams.

Guess they like running 3 cars then.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I've posted it before and I'll post it again, comparing the sponsorship levels on the Minardis to a Marusisa or Sauber is striking.

I can only assume Minardi went after a budget they knew they'd need to run, and sold the car off accordingly whereas Marussia/Sauber etc somehow assume the world owes them a £300m budget and won't sell the car for less. We KNOW McLaren do that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's exactly that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wirth1000 posted:

You know what's doing great? WEC. Their problem isn't a lack of teams it's actually a lack of space to accomdoate all the teams coming in and wanting to join!!!!!

Maybe we should just change this thread to cover WEC?????

WEC is 4 (really 5) classes. If I add up the field of F1, GP2, GP3 and Euro F3 they've got more so WEC sucks.

Lucasar posted:

As a newbie, what is the best thing about more teams, if half of them blow? Wouldn't the races be more competitive with fewer teams all having similar bankrolls? I couldn't figure out what the real value of those back-marker teams were (apart from Maldonado setting people on fire) but the (sky) announce team kept voicing that "let them race" philosophy.

If you let Marussia go, the practical difference between Sauber 2015 and Marussia 2014 will be zero.

So Sauber goes under.

Then STR.

Then Lotus...

"We don't need you" is a very quick way to have no cars at all.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Riso posted:

STR can't go under, they are Red Bull B.

Who I still think will be killed the second the parent team need to run 3 cars.

But both Red Bulls can go under in a second, they're there at the whim of a merketing department that can and has killed sports teams with gently caress all notice before. Ask the Nascar Red Bull guys.

This is actually the problem F1 has. They have precisely 3 teams that aren't only in F1 because of one mad rich nutter or one marketing department and it's not like Sauber are especially solid right now. Manor would be a 4th. We need that 4th.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

POCKET CHOMP posted:

actually who loving cares about small teams. he just repeatedly says "if they're not at the back of the field, a bigger team will be" (no poo poo). f1 is dying anyway but acting like marussia matters is dumb as hell. HRT's "Cool Spot" was the best thing to come out of the shithouse new teams and who the hell is going to remember anything of them in a few years beyond that and the fact that they killed jules bianchi, rip.

If you lose a small team, the next smallest team becomes the small team. Marussia weren't even a small team, they were just the smallest in 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1500quidporsche posted:

I'd guess 2017. They have to be losing money hand over fist since Red Bull gets their engines for free, leaving toro rosso. Hard to justify from a marketing standpoint.

They should bring back a two tier championship like they had for that one season in the 80s. Let poo poo teams run the V8 and if you win that championship you're obligated to run the V6 next season.

Great idea, only issue is that you can't really say next season because they'd have already designed the car before they've won.

• Locked thread