Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Hmm. I know the engine isn't mapped properly or anything but holy gently caress this is ragged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwMFvF0Gfk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

was this the out lap after the turbo broke? those who were actually at the track watching all day said alonso was following rosberg for 10 laps and was staying right with him, car looked well balanced. they didn't get a lap in the dry though so that's why their times sucked.

I'm not sure, I found it at F1technical. It would explain how it's almost undriveable though.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

Given their pace advantage at the end of last year I wouldn't be surprised if they turn up with basically a 2014 spec engine, still have a modest margin over the Renault and Ferrari engines who have used up all their development tokens, benefit from another six months of R&D then blitz everybody when they finally switch to their 2015 spec around August.

Best case scenario for their opposition is that they've been too conservative, and the Ferrari bombing around the track is actually looking good. I'm not sure how likely this is. It's equally possible Mercedes are really not trying very hard to set competitive times, and they may have another two seconds in the bag.

One thing about testing that rings true is that if drivers can post quick times, they usually will. The big outlier is Sauber; I just don't believe they're within a half second of Ferrari or Mercedes.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Alain Post posted:

It sometimes happens. I remember 1997 where after a rock-solid 1996 WIlliams were perpetually unable to get both of their cars to finish.

I've never forgotten staying up for Melbourne qualifying and being horrified at the gap from Villeneuve to everyone else. It was absurd and I thought the season was a bust.

Little did I know Williams would do everything possible to lose that Championship, they were just out-retarded by Schumacher at the very last race.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Alain Post posted:

1997 was such a good season, I think it has the best midfield I've ever seen. You had the top three teams in Ferrari/Williams/McLaren, but everyone else other than Minardi/Tyrrell were able to challenge the leaders on occasion. Even Arrows came good at the end of the year.

Schumacher and Irvine were the most interesting pairing as well. The 90s were great.

Schumacher had some truly absurdly good drives in '97, and despite the fact I couldn't stand him he was compelling viewing.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Those Force India rumours are starting to check out.
http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117583/more-delays-for-2015-force-india

It's a shame they have so much debt as they'd surely be an attractive purchase otherwise. I'm guessing they need to be sold or they are going under. It's unlikely anyone will lend them any more money, even in the la-la world of F1.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

thegasman2000 posted:

I think he does the opposite to what he was doing when they split. Last year he was winning, I don't like the flip of that. His music career is about to explode, this is a bad thing.

Nico is there for him.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

El Hefe posted:

though I don't know what he was expecting going to loving mclaren

Don't blame McLaren. They slimmed down the MP4/30 so much, but they can't do anything about Fred's neck.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

The liveries of 2015 in billiard balls.

Well done reddit, well done.

For Christ's sake what the gently caress is wrong with these people

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

CratSock posted:

Still better than when he accused Renault of sabotaging him. Ah, old Alonso.

I think both him and Vettel will probably benefit hugely from a change of scene. It just happens to have been easier for Vettel. So far.

I was thinking that I don't know of another multiple world champ that basically had a year where he couldn't be arsed, straight after winning. His team didn't care either, largely because of Ricciardo. It must have been a strange environment.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Meanwhile..

It's a shame F1 doesn't have a modern-day equivalent of 60's Cosworth/Hewland; someone that can sell an affordable powertrain and teams can go racing without a excess R&D. I know times have changed but the team personnel numbers are insane at the moment.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Motorsport magazine just tweeted this: http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/march-2010/64/virgins-brand-new-adventure

It's a good reminder of the planning and numbers involved in making an F1 challenge happen. How different it all was.

Nick Wirth is hard to weigh up. Sounds like a smart guy but he's really strange on some topics. He also quite famously hosed up the fuel tank on the first car.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I always thought Christopher Wreford-Brown of Belgrano infamy sounded pretty much like the archetypal Naval brit.

Uncle Jam posted:

Edit: ahaha they had 67 AirBus 320s on order what the poo poo. They just tried to buy all new planes for a new airline gg

That's probably buy and lease back; they all do it as some accounting wizardry where they have the planes but don't own them on the books.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Riso posted:

STR can't go under, they are Red Bull B.

That team was for sale just five years ago. It could easily happen again. No buyer and it'll close.

Edit: STR's reversal of fortunes coincided with RBR winning things, prior to that they were a little too close to the parent team in performance, and took the first win.

Sulman fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 7, 2015

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

NtotheTC posted:

They are Jordan run by someone more incompetent than Eddie Jordan

Eddie had lots of flash but he was very sensible with the team's money.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Butt Wizard posted:

Damon Hill is the least deserving champion of all-time though.

Villeneuve is lucky he left Williams because he would have no doubt bothered him a lot in '97.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Giancarlo Minardi knows what F1 on a shoestring is like, and as usual brings some sense: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117635

F1 has always treated its privateers like poo poo, not recognising they are where everything big in the sport comes from.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

He raises a valid point. Red Bull are throwing a huge shitfit because they finished second in the championship, imagine the poo poo hurricane if they were at the back of the grid. Less Horny Horner whining is enough of a reason to keep marussia around in my books.

Minardi ran in an era where they would grab the occasional point and keep going for the sheer sport of it. The change to 3 litres hurt them (the Ford ED was a joke) It seems impossible to do that nowadays. I still wish there was a decent, cheap(ish) standardised powerplant in F1, rather than hugely expensive client engines (everybody runs 'A' spec, essentially) that are subsidising the works R&D.

Speaking of which, with two teams remaining, how long do you think Renault are going to stay in? My guess is they won't be around either 2016 or '17, dependent on their run this year.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Some amazing photos over at F1technical under 'Classic but forgotten', including all the usual suspects. Keep reading as it starts 'meh' but rapidly escalates to terrific.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

"Only cash flow", that little thing that can make every single business ever go bankrupt, including suppliers. Cunts.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I guess overall salaries are still huge in comparison to flying people about. Even seeing the footage of a backroom of dudes on computers just for the engine makes me wince. Remember when it was just one or two monitor stands and a couple of engineers?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't the pit crew just filled with random people who work for the team that want to be on the pit crew?

That was just Ron Dennis that one time

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

I stand by my recommendation of incorporating super stadium trucks to the race weekend. Possibly getting rid of the F1 cars all together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yIQAvW7XnE

My wife saw me watching the highlights of that before the Indycar race and she just said "That's America, right there."

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

enri posted:

Just spotted on the BBC F1 gossip column

..a 30% loss is pretty extreme.

Well, no poo poo. Who didn't foresee this? I sometimes wonder what planet some of these people are on. I don't even have any business savvy and I can tell that going pay-tv is going to cost a shitload of eyes.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It's 480P here, but isn't that just a repost of a pretty old video from Ferrari? Maybe that's why it's a lower quality.

edit: here you go, 1080P from Ferrari directly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac8o3yRoFIo

It must have been interesting for Vettel to try the car that ran him relatively close in 2012.

Those noses really were dreadful though - much worse than the dicknose last year. it's strange how you get used to them and then look back three years later and think 'ugh'.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

That's a sports car.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Alain Post posted:

I, too, hate Red Bull's new robot toy.

He's got that early Vettel thing of 'super nice bloke' going on. Nobody is like that all the time. Nobody.

One of the best things about Webber is he lets himself get pissed off.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Dudley posted:

Nascar does this and the sky doesn't mysteriously fall.

They do however get 40+ cars to every race rather than 18.

Indycar too. They also started the trend of sympathetic helmet colours (i.e. you run a red Budweiser scheme, use a red lid). Here's Christian Fittipaldi binning off his Brazilian colours for beer dollars:

Crash helmet colours and liveries have always been an F1 staple, though.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Riso posted:

Woking Scum > Milton Keynes Devils.

Seriously, this is like arguing which kind of turd is better.

Edit: I'm not being snippy, I lived in Southampton for 15 years, I know all about shitholes.

With Lewis having a fever and Nico with a trapped nerve in his neck..what's going on at Mercedes?

Sulman fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 19, 2015

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I'm pleased worst thread dislikes Collantine. He became unbearable about five years ago for me. Suddenly got very full of himself on Twitter.

Good for him turning his hobby into his work but he doesn't have to be such a knob about it.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I don't think I've heard so much conspiracy bollocks over what is probably a simple accident.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

nsaP posted:

When you hit day 3 of hospital over a supposed minor accident it's moving away from conspiracy.

Not if he had a concussion, especially the care taken with those injuries now.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

horseshit, no one stays in the hospital for three loving days for a concussion

More than one day is unusual but it's Fernando Alonso, and it's Spain. He'll be getting some pretty thorough care I expect.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

In a sport where the better connected drivers make it to the top the small pool of women have far less chances. Once in a while you get a Senna, Schumacher or Vettel that rides some money and luck to a good drive, but a big fraction of the grid are there for commercial reasons. Simona Di Silvestro is the real deal and she got screwed by Sauber; she could have been a contender and I'm gutted she's not in open wheel racing somewhere this year.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Uncle Jam posted:

She's been awful in open wheel so far.

Huh? She had a very good Indycar run with KV.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Something caught my eye in this piece in Autosport:

quote:

There have also been suggestions that Lotus and Sauber may not compete in the season opener owing to financial difficulties.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117869

How embarrassing would that be?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I worried about Caterham as soon a Gascoyne buggered off and started tweeting non stop about sailing.

The last couple of seasons they just didn't seem to care.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Not sure if Symonds knows he's talking to the Yellow King

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

That kind of memory loss also affected Karl Wendlinger; I recall (hehe) reading that people caring for him had to be very careful to consider exposure to people and current events until he slowly recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

nsaP posted:

Maybe Alonso will solicit them, it'd be a good drive for his first in F1

Oh God stop, I'm trying to eat

• Locked thread