Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

WhoNeedsAName posted:

So apparently Force India are testing the Info Wing system today. IF it gets fitted to Maldonado's can it just display "Not Crashed Yet!" when he's still actually circulating?

This is Antony Hamilton's "invention" right?

Edit: yes it is and it looks like poo poo:

Xisticide fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Dudley posted:

Looks like the Hulk might have landed a seat in the 3rd Porsche at LeMans.

Multi-discipline F1 drivers are back. This is excellent.

https://twitter.com/NicoHulkenberg

It's only been a few years since Bourdais did it, though he did get dumped by STR a couple of races later.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Exactly, Andrew Benson is hardly the most reliable source of information when it comes to F1 and whenever he writes about another part of motorsport it's usually utter crap.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
If anyone still has Christmas shopping to do

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

George Zimmer posted:

I get why the series wants to focus on city circuits because of the whole green angle, but I hope they'll include road courses in the future.

They won't, a big part of the focus on street circuits is that these cars have very low top speeds but incredible acceleration, so the cars look terrible on even medium length straights. The slow corner - short burst - slow corner style of the street circuits shows them off at their best so that's where they go.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Dudley posted:

Well he'll get a 4 year ban, how many people are going to want to hire a 39 year old that's been out of cars for 4 years?

Well his driver grading might go down with a 4 year break so I guess some LMP2 team looking for a good silver?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
It's the replacement for the stupid newbie baby, for those of us too lazy to bother with an av.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Wirth1000 posted:

So the FIA released the new requirements in order to get a superlicense. I actually quite like it and it should as a nice boost to a bunch of neglected feeder series.

And the chart for the license points:

I like that you could win 3 consecutive FIA World Championships in an open wheel series where half the grid are ex-F1 drivers and earn 0 points since they completely blanked Formula E.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Dudley posted:

As Daveh says they want to relaunch it themselves, they don't have any love for GP2 and 3 as they're not FIA. See also the screwing of WSR in the rankings.

The previous F2 was sanctioned by them but wasn't run by the FIA but by Motorsport Vision (Who own Brands Hatch and several other UK circuits and happen to be owned by Jonathan "Dad of Jolyon" Palmer)

Memorable only for killing Henry Surtees and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaC3OKZ-FkI

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

thegasman2000 posted:

FFs the whole sport is retarded. The marussia was loving poo poo last year and this years cars a quicker. Please explain what they were worried about.

By existing as an F1 team Marussia would get the money they "won" last season at the end of this season. If they don't exist it'll go to the rest of the teams, who are the ones voting on whether Marussia can run old cars so that they may continue to exist.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Whitey Ford posted:

How fast is the modern safety car and at what point in history would it have out qualified all other cars on the grid? Genuinely interested.

It's still an SLS AMG right? Obviously the SC is closer to the road-going version but the GT3 version qualified 3rd at Spa in 2:18.934, the F1 107% cutoff there this year was 2:16.029.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Ilanin posted:

If the F1 cut-off was 2:16.029 it was because it was wet. Normally a lap of Spa in an F1 car takes around 105-110 seconds. The last time we had a dry qualifying at Spa was 2012; 107% was 1:56.622. The first time F1 cars raced at the new Spa (in 1983), 2:18.934 would have put you just behind Salazar in last on the grid. This sounds almost respectable, so I'm going to point out that Salazar was 14 and a half seconds off pole and five seconds behind the next-to-last driver.

Yeah I had a feeling it was probably wet but I couldn't be bothered to check v:shobon:v

• Locked thread