Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
What interests me most about Mattiacci leaving is how it could have any bearing on Vettel. Ostensibly he would have made promises and guarantees to Vettel in order to lure him over from Red Bull, which his replacement might not care about upholding, much like how Mattiacci didn't care about taking Alonso's poo poo when he replaced Domenicali. I've heard from some places that their 2015 car is looking to be even worse than the 2014 one so it's gonna be real interesting how that affects things if that's the case next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Sign me up for doing a bio, but if there isn't enough room I don't mind.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Funzo posted:

I'd really like to see Button stay in, but I don't know where else he could go if McLaren decide to go with Magnussen. Williams, Ferrari and Red Bull have already announced their lineups, and I can't see him going to one of the backmarker teams.

He basically made clear that he only wants to drive for a winning team and will retire if McLaren don't renew his contract. I'm not his biggest fan but it's totally bullshit and unprofessional how McLaren are treating him and K-Mag over this.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

AgentJotun posted:

For me its hardly an amazing feat that Hamilton beat Rosberg. In fact I think it reflects pretty poorly on Hamilton on how close Rosberg was able to run him. When has Nico ever been considered top tier?

That's what makes Ricciardo and Alonso's seasons more impressive to me. Both totally smashed world class team mates.

Vettel's poo poo and not world class

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

be nice wicka posted:

mclaren aren't going to sign a sponsor until they start winning again bc otherwise no one will give them the money dennis thinks the team deserves. it's a matter of sponsors wanting to pay for mclaren 2014 and dennis charging for mclaren 1966-future. it's pretty simple.

yeah from what i heard a bunch of potential title sponsors walked away because lol good luck with that asking price

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Its worth noting that it has been mentioned in a few places that Martini approached McLaren before they went to Williams. McLaren's asking price was supposedly so ridiculous that they decided to go with a team that almost didn't score any points last year.

and went on to totally clout them the year after :toot:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Ron Dennis, in addition to being a fraud, is racist.

another quality contribution by 4-time WDC Alain Post

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

gret posted:

Send Nico to the gas chambers. Vettel too.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

Keep Button on for another year, send Magnussen to WEC. Problem solved.

IMO keep Magnussen on as a test/reserve driver, Button's gonna be retiring pretty soon anyway

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

IMO keep Magnussen on as a test/reserve driver, Button's gonna be retiring pretty soon anyway

Called it :twisted:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I think you need a pure silver crucifix

didn't flavio suggest that F1 use the same bullshit sprint/feature system that GP2 does a couple years ago??

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, thats McLarens season down the drain....maybe a good thing they didn't keep Magnussen as a race driver...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117259

Saw this earlier. Can't see Honda taking this as they're basically being punished for entering the sport now.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

even as a super mclaren fanboy I thought coulthard was poo poo when he was there

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Who can blame him, the last time he rolled over didn't end so well.

Another stunning post from 4-time WDC Alain Post

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

You know who doesn't get enough credit for his championships? Piquet.

i always wondered why. i assumed it's because he was better known for his whining and insulting other drivers in the media when things didn't go his way

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Alain Post posted:

That McLaren color scheme actually looks like a Marussia from a distance, combined with the plain black Sauber sidepods. Also the CNN sponsorship lifted from Caterham. McLaren are now full backmarkers.

Yeah it really does. I got up all excited today and was like "uhh that sure is a car"

Maybe it'll run better than it looks :sigh:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Alain Post posted:

did McLaren seriously lose their Hugo Boss sponsorship? Lol, that was there forever.

They lost it to Mercedes last year, not sure of the exact details.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

CratSock posted:

This is the season's "before" pic while they're still friends. BOLD PREDICTION: 5 races before an incident makes them stop talking to each other.

Mercedes, would it have killed you to use more colour and less 90's fade effects in your livery? I guess thanks for not adding lens flares. This would have been much cooler:

And McLaren... Please do this:

The McLaren one isn't distinctive at all and looks like a Super Aguri livery. Papaya orange/white/red would look good. Or Marlboro despite what the thread thinks.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Sulman posted:

I'm not sure, I found it at F1technical. It would explain how it's almost undriveable though.

BBC's saying that Alonso's fastest lap was set in the wet and aside from that it was apparently "not far" off the Mercedes pace.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtopGXLKkO8 another vid of the McLaren sound

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Villeneuve was really lucky that Schumacher did that because otherwise the whole offseason would have been people constantly saying that Schumacher deserved that title.

then again, it's not like it worked out for Villeneuve in the long run

then again, in the super long run, Schumi is a vegetable

Expert analysis from our resident 4-time WDC Alain Post

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

f1

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

They all entered F1 under the allusion of that budget cap that never came into fruitition so of course they were ultra-hosed from the get go. Rest in loving Peace, Hispania Racing Team, you sad sack of clown shits.

RIP Cool Spot F1

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

Here is a question for you. Do you support a team or a driver? I support Lewis, gently caress off don't hate me, and followed him to Mercedes. If he moves to Ferrari I would like them to win. Is this the most common or is following a team more common in this thread?

I've supported McLaren since I was like 7 and mostly continue to do so because I don't want to be a glory hunter and support whoever's winning right now (i.e. Red Bull or Mercedes). Ferrari are entitled twats and the rest of the grid are (usually) poo poo, so McLaren's all that's left for me.

I used to be a huge Lewis supporter but I guess I figured out I was more about McLaren than him when he suddenly moved to Mercedes in 2013, because I stopped caring as much after that, which I guess is funny because the second I stopped being a huge supporter he starts winning poo poo again. Maybe when I finally swear off McLaren they'll suddenly start dominating and I'll have egg on my face again :sigh:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

How can anyone not like Sauber ???

they're the most boring bland non-team on the grid ever since BMW left and took their funding with them

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

I think Prost more or less confirmed that the FW15C (which the 16 was an evolution of) was garbage and active suspension was the only thing holding it together.

The FW15 pretty much relied on its bells and whistles to be fast, the FW16 was a direct evolution of its chassis and suddenly didn't have those.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Funzo posted:

Oh yeah, what happened with this? Wasn't there a list of people that were going to randomly get assigned a team/driver/track to write up for the new season thread?

Someone made a google doc listing everyone who volunteered, I guess we need some random way to assign who gets what https://docs.google.com/document/d/18BeDKUTb0dRKDdVdtUo349RIq1so7ancp1kE9WpHpRU/edit?pli=1

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

notice me

here's my thing for Carlos Sainz Jr, tell me if it's too long/short/crappy or feel free to edit/cut whatever

Son of two time WRC champion Carlos Sainz, Carlos "Chilli" Sainz Jr. is one of two new additions to the constant new driver carousel that is Toro Rosso. Like all products of the Red Bull driver programme, he has a single season to prove he's good enough to displace a driver in the Red Bull team or risks facing a career in Formula E, WEC, or some other shitass series no one cares about. Is afraid of really high places with glass.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Bold prediction: The McLaren will be so bad Alonso will pull a Mansell and retire from F1 midseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

f1

• Locked thread