Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Wallastra
2/16 AP

Well... That worked entirely as according to my grand designs! I think.

Now erm, right there was a thing I was meant to be doing. Oh yes right! Waterlord!

Wallastra, crawled out of the sea and back onto the door, warmed by the burning ships behind him. With a slight flexing of his divine nature, he wrung the water out of his garb and the sand out of his hair. The service would proceed accordingly, now that uninvited guests were dealt with.

He began the first few sermons to an old god, to try and bring him back.

And he hoped this worked, he poured his essence, and one of the cities largest assets into this venture and if it didn't work the effort would have been for nothing.

He would use [+4] Voice of the People and the [+2]Ancient Compact to assist with this roll, but otherwise he hoped that it would work, maybe not in a day, but eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Piper, Father of the Scurrying – Scurrying Chambers
AP 4/16

“Hah! Humans are to fragile for that. They not humans by then, just sick crawly things; less then human and less then rats! You afraid of something less then you? Bet you’re not, since you too stupid to be afraid of me!” Piper retorts, quickly overcoming the nasty strike the six-horned one made against him. He prepares to strike again, but not before taunting. “Rat and human stronger together! You’re gonna get eaten even if you eat me first. Black things from the depths will get you, all because you too afraid hiding in your little hole!”

Since I only get one roll-able action per turn, it seems a rather poor choice to try and get ahead in initiative since he would probably be able to one shot me if I don't defend myself this round. I think I would rather be able to attack and defend even if it means going second in initiative.

I will lose +2 Pipers Range in damage for now, since he already has a bite out of me so he likely isn't intimidated by coming into my lair. Physically attacking and defending with my remaining qualities at +8 each. I will put 2AP into attacking and defending. I see no negative qualities applying here.

Attack; +8 (2AP)
Defend; +8 (2AP)

Ending AP 0/16

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Isath, travelling south

Isath gazed longingly southwards. There was risk there, yes, wherever gods concentrated, disaster tended to follow, but the risk of going elsewhere and finding only barren wasteland was even greater. So Isath grew in itself the legs of the Centipede he ate, with muscles powerful enough to carry the weight of the Pillar, and a dozen powerful pumping hearts, and all that was needed to sustain it all. The Crawling Sun would, too, carve up a path in the slick, hard ice, like driving a plow at the fore.

Travelling south. Keeping a nose out for any pockets of mortals I might stumble upon on the way, otherwise just going there using Flesh +6 to sprout many legs and muscles and things, Light +4 to keep softening the ice in front of me and carving grooves with lasers for easier travel, and Megastructure -4.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Larissa
Mountains of the Empire

When Larissa's scouts had reported that an enemy army had been spotted, she'd been alarmed. How had they known? But when it was confirmed they were trying to transport frozen and starving refugees, she couldn't believe her luck. As far as she could tell, the bearded men were nearby, unaware, with no god lurking around to stop her, and tons of useless baggage to try and protect. It was almost perfect.

Gathering her nobles and captains, the Vampire Queen laid out her battleplan. It was, predictably enough, an ambush - an all-out, brutal offensive with little regards for the (un)lives of any of the combatants. If everything went according to plan, her forces would march and swarm the enemy at midnight - and she'd be right in the midst of her troops, decimating the pitiful little mortals. Her new troops were to be directed towards the refugees, if possible. If the enemy managed to wipe them all out, so be it. They were her lowest ranked soldiers, and she barely managed to care even a little about the important ones.

The anticipation of preying on helpless enemies made the hours before the battle torturous for Larissa, who had to content herself with watching Muruk's pathetic new form and occasionally laughing at his feeble attempts to manipulate objects. He had been an ancient and powerful priest, and he'd barely managed to scratch her. These mortals were doomed, were destined to die and be reborn into her service - and their time had come.

----

Bleh, busy so short post. Larissa is sending her entire army at the Imperial Relief Army come midnight, with orders to entirely overwhelm and massacre the enemy or be destroyed trying. She can just raise her slain enemies after the battle, so some loses are entirely acceptable. If possible, she wants to flank the humans with her larger force in such a way as to give them nowhere to retreat to but the mountain passes.

Larissa herself will be participating in the battle, specifically casting a spell (Fear of the Dark) to instill the living with horror and dread at the sight and power of a vampiric God. Debuff them and destroy unit cohesion, in other words. Hopefully the survivors spread word of the terrifying thing that fell upon them, and her legend will grow.

Undead [+6] - Pure necrotic energy and horror blasted at the enemy. They should be made to fully appreciate the hopelessness of their situation.
Darkness [+2] - Horrible black fog and stormclouds to frighten the humans - they're so scared of the dark, it's pathetic - and hide her undead from them until things are too late.

If attacked, she'll defend with both of those attributes as well.

I don't feel that New At This [-2] applies (she's not led armies into battles before, but it's both the simplest strategy possible and she's fought preyed upon mortals for a couple millenia, she knows how to fight them.) I could see the argument going the other way though, so I promise to not be offended if you apply it. If the battle lasts until after the sun comes up, Nocturnal [-2] will kick in for Larissa as well.

My undead will be using their racial Upshift [+2] for their action.

I'm spending 2 AP, and refreshing 2 AP from my followers (specifically, from my new Thaisaidain-ghosts and the new priestly-raised low-ranked soldiers.)

10/16 AP remaining.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 12, 2014

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Batjullik - Warlord Bismark von Trippletrow, The Blight of Suffering, Savior of Pain, The Smugfather & Malador, Parelle, Isath

"Tch. Stupid runt."

Arthak shrugged off the majority of Bismark's demands, but as the number of foes before him continued to multiply doubt niggled its way into his heart with a barbed hook of fear. Fighting Vendruck had taken too much, and he wasn't sure if he had the strength to single handedly kill them all and claim the rewards of the battle for himself. Ignoring attack for now he planted his blade into the ground and keeping the Shield of Flames floating between himself and the other Gods began to cast a spell to concentrate the power of his mastery over the fire.

Malador knelt to Bismark, his haughty features softening as he made obeisance. But as he did his features quirked upwards cruelly and gleefully as the hot chains burst forth from his flesh and smashed against the offending Gods, driving Bismark off his feet into unconsciousness and shattering Arthak's Shield to wrap themselves heavily about one of his arms.

Parelle gritted her teeth and frowned. Too much blood had been shed here, and it was clear who was in the wrong. Bismark and Arthak clearly cared nothing about the lives being trampled underneath their feet, nor the damage the battle had wrought upon the great shelter of Batjullik itself and as her determination and anger rose so too did Pirsuq. The storm rose up around her, mixing with Parelle's minor powers to create an aura of chill and weakening force should anyone attack her, Malador, or the fallen Vendruck.

All Gods and eyes suddenly turned upwards as a low rumbling swiftly became a deep, bone grinding shake. From the surface above Batjullik it descended, an enormous sled of bone and flesh glittering with taloned legs the size of redwoods and divinely empowered lights too bright for mortal eyes to face. Isath had come.

Isath's digestion sacs swelled with fluid in anticipation. There was meat everywhere. Several Gods, a weak (divine?) storm overhead, a field of shattered and broken corpses that numbered in the hundreds of thousands, and millions of mortal lives burning hot and fearful on the plain before it. One or more of the Gods was unconscious and another clearly wounded, though they all looked back at him with a mixture of alarm or panic.

Seems that nobody really minds Priority-by-post order, so that's what we're still sticking with. I'm ok with calling Bismark's KO of Vendruck to be worth an upshift for social combat since it makes enough sense. For our purposes I'm counting Malador's strike as a multi-target attack spell which is subject to resistance, counter spell, etc. Parelle's post reads like a self-buff spell and an area defense spell respectively which specifies multiple targets and effects others, so I'll just split the difference and call it a defensive spell which debuffs and is triggered by attack. And whats all there is I think so here we go!

BISMARK is still wounded from earlier in the combat! Traits applied have sustained damage and unavailable for use! Default remaining War trait applied! BISMARK (+4, 1 AP) attempts Social Attack against ARTHAK (+6)! Defends (+2)!
BISMARK social attacks, ARTHAK (+8)defense failure! ARTHAK takes 1 (-2) rank of damage, reduced to (+4)!
MALADOR (+6, 10 AP) Flips out, casts Attack spell Infernal Blast! Infernal Blast targets multiple, BISMARK and ARTHAK! Defends (+2)!
BISMARK (+2) defense failure! BISMARK takes 5 (-10) ranks of non-lethal damage! BISMARK fainted! It couldn't continue!
ARTHAK (+6) defense failure! ARTHAK takes 4 (-8) ranks of non-lethal damage! ARTHAK's expendable Flame Shield (-4) was destroyed! ARTHAK is reduced to (+2)!
PARELLE (+12) Plays it Cagey, casts defensive spell Sapping Breeze! Roll success! Sapping Breeze will deal (temporary) -2 to Gods attacking MALADOR, VENDRUCK, PARELLE for one round of combat!
ARTHAK (+6) Plays it Cagey, casts support spell (temporary) Fire's Strength! Spell failure!
ISATH casts spell, Titanic Sled! Spectacular success! ISATH arrives at Batjullik!

Oh yeah then Isath shows up and freaks the hell out of everybody because he's a giant glowing penis sled with building sized teeth. A casual glance does not reveal Isath's traits/flaws but you're generally aware that he's bigger than you and horrifying.

Wallastra

How did this part go? The priest dips the censer, casts three drops of water and wine each to the four cardinal directions, and intones the sacred name of the Waterlord... Wallastra's own memories of the Waterlord's rites were tenuous but complete. So too were those of the former priests who'd served that God, and the composite memories of the temple and his citizens verified that everything had been done exactly as it once was. But nothing happened. No Gods, no spirits, no divine energies manifested, and after a second and third try at the rite the anxious congregants looked towards Wallastra expectantly as they tried not to shiver.

WALLASTRA (+6) casts spell, Revive Deity! Roll failure!

Round and round the Rat Gods rolled and thrashed, tearing through Piper's range and crushing or scattering his precious treasures. The tunnels Beneath rumbled unsteadily as the Gods bit, clawed, and tore at one another, the pretense of debate having fallen away to the call of tooth and blood. The Six Horned Rat struck out, angrily and hastily as it quickened its movements with the force of divine power but Piper leapt back and countered by leaping atop the other's back, using his superior bulk to crush his opponent as he gnawed at the single spine beneath his jaws.

Six heads cried a single squeal of pain and rage, and soon the combatants were a furred ball of hate and blood once again as the Six Horned Rat shifted and twisted to latch onto Piper's throat.

Sacred Space Piper's range +2 has been destroyed! It is no longer usable until repaired or replaced! SIXHORNED RAT (+8, 2 AP) Flips out, attacks PIPER (+8, 2 AP)! Defense successful! No damage taken!
PIPER (+8, 2AP) attacks SIXHORNED RAT (+6)! Defense failure, two (-4) ranks taken!
SIXHORNED RAT (+4, 8 AP)Flips out, attacks PIPER (+8)!

Larissa - Mountains of the Empire

Larissa was no fool. Young and inexperienced though she may have been, killing mortals, mortal priests, and mortal armies was something she'd been doing nearly all her unlife. Issuing the easy to follow command to drive forward and murder all in their path unto physical dissolution itself, she bided her time until midnight before taking to the field herself. She whispered quietly as her power over darkness waxed and the weak belief of her forces filled her. Larissa was the darkness, she was the night itself, and that atavistic fear at the heart of every man who woke to find himself straining eyes and ears in the midnight hour looking to the edges of the room and praying that the shadows weren't real. This night she was.

The Undead of Thaisaidain roared, well fed and rested for battle. They hurled themselves at the rear and sides of the human forces, pushing their way inexorably through the living who found themselves with hard pressed. Chaos and murder reigned as army of the Empire whirled and turned with nowhere to flee and the darkness presented foes from every side. The mountain folk bore the worst of it all, attempting to rally and failing again and again as the Undead drove into them and tore throats and hearts alike in their passing. Their priests prayers and souls rose to the heavens but found Bismark missing.

LARISSA (+8, 2AP) casts attack spell, Fear of the Dark! RELIEF ARMY defends, roll failure! RESCUE ARMY has been driven into rout! MOUNTAIN CITIZENS have been driven into a rout! RESCUE ARMY and MOUNTAIN CITIZENS can try to regroup next round!
UNDEAD ARMY attacks MOUNTAIN CITIZENS! Defense failure! MOUNTAIN CITIZENS suffered 70,000 losses!

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 13, 2014

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Enki, Lord of the Secret Places - Deep Beneath Thaisaidain

Enki pores over the Seals carefully, seeking to learn how the magic is physically manifested in the stone, metal, and more exotic substances intricately woven together. He had provided the gifts of both magic and technology to mortals; surely he could divine the method for recreating such powerful devices, even if their exact nature were new to him.

Still, his penchant for chaos begins to nag at the back of his mind. In the interest of self-preservation if nothing else, he tries to block it out, but it only becomes more insistent. Would it really be all that bad to open a Seal and see what comes out? Surely the world is in bad shape already -- what's one more monster to add to the chaos? Besides it might be fun to see what sort of damage it could do.

After some time of arguing with himself, he finally gains control of his urge, but by the end of his study he's worried that he may not have captured all of the essential elements of the ritual of Seal creation. Despite these concerns, he nevertheless focuses his divine energies, manifesting them in the very same form of stone and metal and runic device as that found in the other Seals scattered throughout the depths of the caverns Deep Beneath Thaisiadian.

This is precisely what Everything New Under the Sun [+2] is designed for, and I'd argue that Inbetween All Worlds [+2] is relevant too, given that the Seals are all about (impeding) travel from one location to another. Unfortunately, this situation calls for sober reflection and a serious demeanor, for which Enki is constitutionally ill-suited. With Spirit of Chaos [-2], the total to physically recreate a Seal of my own out of pure divine energy is +2. I'm spending 2 AP as well. The goal is to have an Elder Seal of at least [+2] strength that is easily transportable and that can be used either to tap into the energy nexus flowing through the other pre-existing Seals or to ward off/restrain Denizens of the Deep who are repelled by such artifacts.

Ending AP: 4/16

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 14, 2014

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Parelle

The combat was getting hairy. She saw Malador down the Smuglord and nearly take down the fire god which was impressive for how beaten up the warden of hell looked. The dwarven god was still down, unconscious and a font of power. Of course that was when some sort of super predator god dropped out of the sky. She panicked and made a hasty decision. Perhaps it would not be a wise one. Perhaps it would be. Time will tell and if she were unlucky, it would tell in mere seconds.

She barked out an order to Pirsuq, "Defend the mortals!" and leaned down over the fallen dwarven god. The last of his kind. She traveled there in an instant, leaned over him, and for a lack of a better description she dove directly into him, into his power and desperately tried to cobble together his power with her own. She could not kill him, but she needed that power if the mortals were to survive. Perhaps if she had more time she could restore him to health, but in her panic she didn't have the time.

Desperate or insane, Parelle certainly was one of the two, if not both.

A short post because I'm getting a lot of things done at once and I don't want to progress in case I fail.

So penis wagon showing up has really changed things as Parelle is the last undamaged god left. This puts me in a precarious position. Athrak is messed up but alive and can kill the remaining mortals for easy AP. So this is where I would suppose having a second god on hand really helps things out. Luckily I have one.

Parelle is ordering Pirsuq to defend the dwarves and the Travelers and play it cagey to make sure no one just eats them for a total of +4. That way Arthrak won't be able to scoop up all that easy AP before running away. That is his entire turn, so it will not be attacking, but screening for the mortals. Turn over for it.

Parelle is going to "merge" with the dwarven god, but mechanically finish him off. I want +2 dwarves and his remaining one AP. Unless peniswagon is benevolent, and somehow I -highly- doubt that, this place absolutely will not do for a home. If I can't find a home, I'll make one. Playing it cagey on defense and I believe I still have defense for people attacking me for the spell last round. Merging with Vendruck would be her attack action and she would play it cagey on defense. Mechanically I'm going for a coup de grace as he can't defend himself. She will be using all of her powers: Warmth, travel, hope, food and drink, for a total of +8 -2 for playing it cagey if that applies not to attack him, but to keep her sanity together with travel specifically to make it there before anyone realizes what is happening.

Also, since I'm merging with Vendruck, if possible, I'd like to rearrange some stats. This can happen later, but if possibly I'd like it to happen now since that's what I'm going for. Mix and match with his. So if possible I'd like to:

Change +2 Travel to +2 Artifice.

Change nonviolent -2 to grudgebearer -2. Parelle will inherit Vendruck's grudges and martial prowess.

Change -2 not taken seriously to -2 Protector of Mortals, as I was heading in that direction and Parelle's natural protectiveness and Vendruck's protectiveness of his dwarves would solidify this.

Sorry if I'm overstepping turnwise, but I can't pass this opportunity up if I can have it. It's too much fun.

So the bare bones of my new sheet will look like this:

+2 Dwarves

+2 Artifice (Was Travel. I'll see if I can get that back at some point.)

+2 Hope

+2 Food and Drink

+2 Warmth

-2 Grudgebearer (Was nonviolent. She will hold Vendruck's previous grudges and will hold new ones as they happen to her.)

-2 Protector of Mortals (Was not taken seriously.)

However, feel free to gently caress with the sheet as godmerging is probably a pretty messy business.

I plan physically on making Parelle more dwarflike, more suspicious and vengeful. This will war with her nurturing side. I imagine this is going to cause a ton of hilarity if I survive and she will be schizophrenic for a while. :toot:

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 13, 2014

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Wallastra
2/16

Here was something that Wallastra was not quite used to. Failure he had encountered before for something like this, misery, rage, he was no stranger to those either.

Then why when he failed to bring back his fellow god did he feel naught but disappointment. Less that he just burned a valuable asset and resources for failure, and more that a piece of artwork didn't turn out as intended.

"It appears the attempt needed a larger sacrifice then what we presented here. Let us return to the inner city, it's getting late"

It wasn't a complete loss, we reclaimed the merchant district from the cold somewhat, and there was much residue quintessence left over from the worshippers. Let's tap into that and regain some AP whilst we head back.

[+4] Voice of the People

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

AP 0/16

Piper briefly considered going back to the diplomatic option; so far it was 1 for 2 which in his rat brain seemed like good odds, but the Six Horner was just too enraged to bother dealing with; Sometimes you just had to break a things spine before it stopped trying to bite back. That would have to wait though, as his attacks had infuriated his enemy into a berserker state. Spinning and searching for a better location, Piper prepared himself to endure the inevitable charge.

Piper will Play It Cagey, trying to weather the massive AP expenditure of the SIXHORNED RAT. Same qualities as before.
Total Attack; 6 (8-2 Cagey)
Defence 10 (8+2 Cagey)

4 ranks of damage discounting the dice. Here's hoping for a lucky roll!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Isath, Batjullik

Isath's hungry reverie was interrupted by the alarmed glares of the present gods. Here, it seemed, was a siege gone horribly wrong - a spearhead of an invading army, led by a few gods in a compact, had crashed upon the gates of a fortress, and now it was a mess. Isath had no idea what could possibly had happened, but it was obvious that both sides had suffered terrible losses. The invading side, however, had left behind a veritable treasure trove of corpses, both mortal and divine, and they were still warm.
Isath clamped down hard on the surface, and opened many maws - from their depths spawned a plethora of rushing, many-legged tendrils that had some resemblance to the Centipede God he had eaten before. The tendrils quickly stormed the battlefield, purpose-made for scavenging an ocean of the dead. Their heads were encased in thick bone plates, and shaped like big funnels, so as to quickly vacuum the biomass all the way back into Isath's waiting maws.

Isath is eating the 3 enslaved god corpses from Arthak's pantheon, and the half-million mortal corpses that composed his army. Using Flesh +6 to remain stationary and cast a large network of voracious seeking centipede-like tendrils to scour the battlefield for what he wants

11/16 AP

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 13, 2014

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Larissa
Mountains of the Empire

They were initially victorious, but it wasn't enough for her. From what Larissa could tell, she'd found more corpses on her way to the battle than she'd managed to make in it (so far), and that simply wouldn't do. It was time for her to go on the hunt.

The human warriors and refugees seemed to be trying to reform, raising swords and lanterns desperately against the darkness that threatened to consume them. Her undead had smashed them once, but to their credit, the leaders among these bearded men seemed determined to not just be cattle at her slaughter. This rather irritated her, and she resolved to do something about it.

Dashing towards the front lines through fields rife with the dead and dying, Larissa was determined to tear a bloody swath through her foes. She'd aim for whatever generals or leaders they had - just look for the mortals that seemed to be yelling over everyone else, and murder them in front of their fellows. "Soldiers of Thaisaidain, continue your attack! Do not stop until every mortal you see is dead!"

----

Pressing the attack, Larissa wants this force eradicated as thoroughly as possible. As such, her undead will continue with the same basic strategy they've been using, and Larissa will be marching through the enemy army trying to assassinate their leadership. The idea is to give them no chance to rest and to stop them from rallying, while making as many corpses for her to raise with a subsequent action as possible.

Larissa is flipping out! Attacking / defending with:
Undead [+6] - Terrifying speed, strength, and vigor due to her vampiric and divine natures vs frail mortal flesh and flimsy steel. Not a good matchup for Team Mortals.
Darkness [+2] - Appearing from darkness, rending throats, and then disappearing before any can dream of stopping her. Plus, there's less chance they run away if they can't see her coming.
Fear of the Dark - If this still applies, the lack of cohesion and morale amongst the enemy should make assassinating their leadership particularly easy / effective.

Spending 1 AP.

AP 9/16 remaining.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 14, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Puppies are dicks posted:

Brother Yak bellowed his challenge into the teeth of the storm, which really didn't have anything in the way of teeth. Or any physical form for Brother Yak to latch on to or ram, but such facts did nothing to deter the mighty yak as he bunched up the powerful muscles of his legs and launched himself into the storm again and again! Truly battling the wind and snow was the greatest challenge Brother Yak had ever faced, and he began to doubt if mere Strength alone would prove sufficient as he leapt and charged only to find nothing to batter.

The Icestorm raged on, blanketing the land in a thick layer of frozen death which coated Brother Yak's hide but proved insufficient to deal him harm so far.

BROTHER YAK ATTACKS/DEFENDS +4 STRENGTH! BROTHER YAK attacks wild ICESTORM (+6)! Defense successful, no damage taken!
Wild ICESTORM (+6) attacks BROTHER YAK! Defense successful, no damage taken!

Brother Yak
13/16 AP

If the storm was afraid to take a beating, then he'd hjust have to force it to! He sings louder and louder as he charges, each charge mightier than the last, Brother Yak was growing even stronger as the battle went on, because the people back in the village were counting on him. He wove his song into a spell and the little boy's leather strip tied into his beard glowed with the warmth and happiness of a strong older brother - and as he slashed his horns through the biting wind the magic cloth came following behind to give a second blow. And as he kicked with his hooves, the power of his mighty heart went into each thrust.

Bullheaded [-2] to keep doing what I've been doing. Attack with Strength [+4] and Passion [+4] and 2 AP, bringing me to 13 from 15. I want this storm GONE!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

This was dangerous going, and Enki knew that the slightest twitch or mistake would surely spell his doom. It was clear enough that whatever was sealed down beneath Thaisaidain was powerful enough that the Undead Gods had simply decided to never speak of or acknowledge it in the hope that no-one would ever be stupid enough to disturb the sealed vaults. But still... there was plenty yet he could take from the situation. The seals themselves were a potent and complex form of magic, useful in their own right against similar creatures and powerful in their own right, and to one such as him who had traveled the world over and taught(or stolen) magic and technology to the many faces of Man it was a simple matter to copy them carefully and meticulously for his own use.

A line there, a drop of his blood here, and a slight borrowing of the greater seal's design and power there. Enki grinned as he painstakingly cut the last lines with the edge of his fingernail, but as he leaned in to whisper his name and power into being a thought flickered across the back of his mind. What would it look like if opened? More pragmatic than self destructive, he tamped the urge down and continued his work anew, not wanting to be caught out by a badly drawn glyph. Wouldn't be easier to just tap a little bit of the Seal's power for himself? If he did, there was no doubt in his mind that he could build himself an even greater seal of his own or in the least absorb some of the runoff power for himself. His fingers waved over the Elder Sign but as he did his eyes narrowed in shock and horror as he spied a single flaw of his own making, his reproduction of the seal was incomplete!

Something horrifying and dark flowed forth from Beneath Thaisaidain, all dark tentacles and implications of deeper space unfurling and contracting as it did. It flew past him and into the city above, and like pustular abscess he could feel it occupying the nearby space. A lesser horror had escaped and now waited in the city above.

ENKI (+2, 2 AP) attempts to create an Artifact +2 Elder Sign: Useful against creatures from the Deep and as a ward against certain types of supernatural entities! Roll was drastic failure! ENKI has unleased a LESSER TOMB HORROR (+???)! LESSER TOMB HORROR (+???) has fled to Thaisaidain! Ugh, that was a terrible roll.

Wallastra

The belief of a people was a powerful thing and Wallastra took a deep breath as he stopped to rejuvenate himself from the close encounter with the storm, reveling in the hot sensation of worship reflected from his citizens' hearts into his own. Their belief made him strong, and he in turn would protect them as part of the covenant between God and Man even if it took the last of his life. It was almost a waste, the force of the raw quintessence spent in fighting the Icestorm and abortive revival, and in a vague and general sense he could still feel it hanging in the skies above and in the hearts of his expectant worshipers.

What if he could absorb that power for his own? Not in any harmful way, but just to get a bit of an extra edge? Wallastra reached out through the connection between himself and his people and pulled carefully, casting a net of his will across their souls. He pulled harder, feeling something vaguely on the other side almost ready to give way but after twice coming up empty stopped. Perhaps it was a better idea he didn't?

WALLASTRA (+4) casts spell, Absorb Background Belief! Roll failure! WALLASTRA AP refresh from Wallastra (population 500,000), 5 AP refreshed!

Rat to rat, claw to claw , blood for blood, tooth to tooth. The two Gods snarled and hissed as they thrashed and coiled around one another, all pretense at talk gone. Sensing danger Piper drew back, nonetheless catching the Sixhorned Rat's jaws squarely across his exposed throat. He ground away and tore at the other God in panic, desperation and rage lending strength even as his life bled away beneath the other's fangs. Piper rolled and twisted, smashing himself against the walls of the tunnel in an attempt to crush or dislodge the Sixhorned Rat's grip until both of them were battered and broken. When he came to, Piper found that the battle had been won. He slumped atop the ruined body of the other God, his power completely spent and the wounds of their deathmatch carved deeply into his neck and vital innards. The tunnels belonged to Piper alone, but at what cost?

SIXHORNED RAT (+4, 8 AP)Flips out, attacks PIPER (+8)!
PIPER (+6) plays it cagey, attacks SIXHORNED RAT (+2)! Defends (+10)!
PIPER defense roll fail! PIPER takes two (-4) ranks of damage!
PIPER (+2) attacks SIXHORNED RAT (+2)!
SIXHORNED RAT defense roll fail! SIXHORNED RAT takes five (-10) ranks of damage!
Default damage type is lethal! SIXHORNED RAT has been killed! Couple of different options here, eat him for AP, eat him for an increased Trait rank, and/or eat his AP (SHR had 6 left in the tank).

Larissa laughed as she streaked through the enemy army, bobbing and weaving from one rapidly dwindling bubble of light and warmth to the other as she killed her way across the field and back. She shouted her orders from the edges of the darkness which given her divine presence and the effects of her magic seemed to be everywhere, and in response the Undead of Thaisaidain's army laughed back joyously as they pushed on.

The men of the Empire were sorely pressed. At every turn they found only claws, darkness, and screaming death and every time some brave soul managed to dig himself out of the mire long enough to link hands with others he found the cold hand of Larissa waiting to tear him apart. The people of the mountains were the worst off for having borne the brunt of the Undead assault, and as the battle dragged on their numbers dwindled until they were nothing. Stabbing, slashing, tearing, and breaking, Larissa reveled in the destruction and bloodshed she wrought firsthand and found it to be good. Thousands had fallen to her hand alone, and the night had plenty of dark yet remaining.

LARISSA (+10, 1 AP) Flips Out, attacks RESCUE ARMY! Defends (+6)! RESCUE ARMY defends, roll failure! RESCUE ARMY suffers 50,000 losses! RESCUE ARMY attempts to recover from Fear of the Dark! Roll failure! RESCUE ARMY is in a rout! MOUNTAIN CITIZENS attempts to recover from Fear of the Dark! Roll failure! MOUNTAIN CITIZENS is in a rout! UNDEAD ARMY attacks MOUNTAIN CITIZENS! Defense failure! MOUNTAIN CITIZENS were eradicated!

BISMARK loses 1 AP from loss of persistent worship/belief!

Brother Yak - Central Plains of the Yakpire

Brother Yak was not to be deterred. Sure, the Icestorm really didn't have a head to butt, or a spine to stamp. Obviously, it was a certainty that it had no hands, feet, or ears he could latch onto with his stout teeth and give a mighty yank. Nor was the Icestorm even a physical thing that he could really even push against or interact with by virtue of mere physical force alone. All of these facts and more were true, but they flew in the face of the reality that Brother Yak would keep trying anyway.

Brother Yak picked up speed, redoubling his efforts somewhere around the hundredth or four hundredth time (he didn't bother keeping count) leaping upwards into the storm caught him nothing. Glowing fiercely with the power of his divinity, he was only just beginning to pick up steam and as the heat from his body's exertions took its toll he literally began to pick up steam. Thrashing and bucking as he leapt into the air singing his warsong, Brother Yak hurled himself into the sky again and again until the frigid air of the skies themselves began to tremble and warp in response to his passing. Once, twice! Brother Yak drove himself out of the crater he'd made with all legs pumping! Once, twice! Brother Yak tossed his head and whirled in the air, gouging at the frozen clouds and skies with all his might! Flying high above the clouds his powerful hooves tore into the soft fabric of sky and with a great cry Brother Yak ran himself all the way back to earth, shaking the flat central plains and making everyone huddled against their cold herds look up (and then down). Brother Yak trotted upwards from the deep furrow of earth and shook the dust from his coat. That was how Brother Yak killed an Icestorm.

Not sure how you're doing your yak-math here, but Brother Yak is bringing (+6, 2AP) to the party, doubling down and getting busy with kicking this storm in the er... butt? BROTHER YAK (+6,2AP) Attacks ICESTORM, defends (+8)! ICESTORM (+6) defense failure! ICESTORM fainted! It couldn't continue!

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

AP 0/16

Piper thrashed and convulsed in fury, his opponent long dead but his anger was far from diminished. Ripping and tearing and the rapidly cooling remains of what could have been his brother, Piper gorged himself on the entrails, the fat and the meat of his rapidly cooling enemy. Like ripping open a clam, Piper tore into each of the six bodies tearing the rib cages apart to get at the delicious centre. It wasn't enough, not for the pain that had been inflicted against him by the arrogant fool that he was now feasting on, but he would have to settle on this for now. Piper would be prepared for next time, the next meal. Leaving nothing but the horned heads, the tails and what little gristle and bone Pipers divine stomach couldn’t digest, he quickly set to work. Humans often wore jewellery, Piper had seen, usually to commemorate important events. Well this victory was important to Piper. Carefully untying the tangled tail of the Six Horned rat, he retied them into a single long string. He looped this grim string though the eye sockets of the 6 clean skulls, and tied them all again into a simple necklace. This victory was more then a simple victory. It was proof, just as his ghastly trophy was proof, that he was the victor, that he was the succeeder, that he was the King.

I will eat the SHR for an increased trait rank. Going from +2 King of the Survivors to +4. I'm also making a neat trophy to commemorate this victory over the forces of ignorance and isolationism.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Wallastra
7/16 AP

Well... Now what? I've dealt with all imidiate problems, my experiment was both a failure, and a possibly terrible idea in the first place and all threats in the city have been dealt with. Time to waste time.

Roll to check to make sure everything is in order/look for trouble. I guess use [+4] The Grand Design

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Aesculus- Ascalon
Ap: 15/16

Having spoken with the rat things living beneath the sewer Aesculus returns to the daylight world and continues to work on both the Dome and to await the arrival of his servants that had gone forth into the world.

Urgh, bad mcterrible post here I am afraid. Wanted to write something but no idea what to do at the moment, will wait too hear back and come up with something over the next few days. Working on the dome Metalworking[+4], using my defensive abilities to help my rat brothers Defence [+2] Thank you so much for your patience, have been having a somewhat crappy time of it lately.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 22, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Malador
2AP

The drat fire god yet stands, the Hellking's chains melting before they can properly wrap around him, thoug hthe Smuglord falls before me. I am left panting though, most of my power spent by now. More gods enter, and the chaos is complete. The tower of flesh deals with the corpses. I do not care. At least the drat Vampire Queen will not get her hands on those then. I prepare to focus on finishing off the fire god once and for all when I notice what the little goddess is doing. I had thought her unimportant, and her actions even beneficial, but what she was doing with the Dwarven God now was... unacceptable.

"No!" I snarl, chains lashing out towards her. "Arthak! Bismarck! Now you! Vendruck is essential to my designs! I will NOT let you compromise him!" Again I reach out, chains reaching to grasp the Dwarven God out of the goddess' reach. "Desist, or face Hell's wrath!"

Not sure how this would be going on mechanicaly really. Do I just attack Parelle? If she decides to go for it, can I even act before her in initiative? Do I add to roll a defense on Vendruck's behalf?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'll just lay here and snore.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Larissa
Mountains of the Empire

These humans didn't know when to quit.

Manifesting tenebrous bat-wings, Larissa took off into the scream-filled sky to survey the battlefield. Everywhere she looked, her undead found terrified mortals and left behind calm corpses. Even still, the humans kept trying to run, kept refusing to just get with the program and do what she wanted them to. Their stubborn refusal to give in had gone past just annoying her - Larissa was enraged.

"ENOUGH! WORSHIP ME, OR PERISH!" She had no intention of allowing even those who bowed down to her to survive, of course, but lying to mortals was fun. There was no God capable of punishing her for lying, now was there? The Vampire Queen wanted to tear them all limb from limb herself (and drain some of the choice ones), but she supposed her undead wound be allowed some of the kills over the course of the next few hours.

----

Continuing as before, no AP expenditure this time. Larissa really wants this imperial army wiped out. Undead [+6], Darkness [+2], Flipping Out, while enemies have both [Routed] and [Fear of the Dark].

Unless she gets hurt, another god shows up, or there are less than two turns until morning, Larissa and her army are going to continue their assault until the humans are all dead or captured.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Batjullik - Warlord Bismark von Trippletrow, The Blight of Suffering, Savior of Pain, The Smugfather & Malador, Parelle, Isath

Time was running out, and the intrusion of the strange and horrific Fleshgod boded poorly for the survival of the Dwarves. Parelle took the only choice left available to her, kneeling at Vendruck's side she extended the bubble of her awareness and will which made up her metaphysical being and carefully but firmly overlapped that of Vendruck. The Dwarves needed a deity to protect them from the Ice and the predation of worse Gods, and grimly she realised that there was no-one else to fill that role but her. She laid a hand on the Dwarf Lord's chest and plunged it into his heart. As she did Malador shouted a malediction, unwilling to see his bloodshed and work go wasted. His chains snapped out, pushing Parelle off balance and yanking the unconscious Dwarf God away to safety (mostly) unharmed and with his essence intact.

Isath clicked and rattled as it settled into place, rapidly cooling as the displaced energy and mass of its quick movement settled but didn't quite stop as it set down roots. A thousand, a hundred thousand hooked clawed tendrils flung themselves from its mighty maw and scoured the battlefield for easy and inanimate prey.Still-warm corpses of man and God alike were tagged by beams of soft light, impaled by wriggling jointed fangs, and yanked smoothly and efficiently into the vast cavern that was Isath's digestion chamber. The flesh was weak but pliable, some other God having already eaten the hot core out of each life, but the lesser Gods still bore dregs of their former power and Isath's reserves swelled slightly with each of the three it dragged in.

Overhead Pirsuq rumbled, building air pressure and force as it moved to block attacks against the shivering mass of dwarves and Travelers but as no attack came the storm merely waited. Arthak was no fool. A bully, cruel, vicious, and occasionally clever, but the main trait which had led to his survival since the coming of the Ice was his cowardice and willingness to do anything to survive. Power expended and with no friendly faces or cards left to sacrifice for his own safety he leapt upon Bismark and in a burst of flame which shook the heavens shot away towards the direction of the Empire, deciding to risk the Ice than a sure death at the hands of any of the combatants on the field. Pushing the force of his flames behind him as he clutched Bismark to his chest, Arthak found the weight of the other God and the rapid buildup of ice around them to be too much, crashing a great distance away into a land already claimed by the Ice.

Looks like diplomacy won't cut it, default action is the least-harmful/likely to murder any player one. Parallel->EAT Vendruck, Isath->EAT Corpses, Malador->INTERRUPT Parelle, Pirsuq->DEFEND mortals, Bismarck->SNORE, Arthak->FLEE.

PARELLE Plays it Cagey, kills absorbs VENDRUCK, to gain one (+2) Trait! Attack (+6), Defends (+10)! Action interrupted by MALADOR!
ISATH (+6) casts spell, Sweep Field! Spell successful! All corpses on the field were gathered by ISATH and eaten! ISATH gains 3 AP for consuming 3 (+2) Gods! The 500,000 mortal corpses already had their souls eaten by ARTHAK and carried no AP! If you want to use them as basic materials in a roll or something I'll give you an upshift as long as it makes sense.
MALADOR (+4) casts Attack Interrupt against PARELLE! PARELLE defense failure! PARELLE action interrupted!
PIRSUQ (+4) Plays it Cagey Action Defends (replaces Defense) DWARVES/TRAVELERS!
ARTHAK (+4) seizes BISMARK, casts travel spell Fiery Escape to teleport to the Empire's Capital! Roll failure! ARTHAK fled the zone but has encountered the Ice! ARTHAK and BISMARK have landed in a GLACIERZONE and must resist (temporary) cold damage until they escape!

Piper nursed his wounds as he gnawed the flesh and divinity from the Sixhorned Rat's bones. He gained in strength as he dug deeper into the viscera of the fallen God and drained the last red drops of the Rat God's divinity from the marrow of what bones remained. On a whim he strung together the six skulls in a loose chain, whispering the tale of his victory and dominance into it as he fashioned a crude crown. A twinge, and Piper looked again at the Rat King's Crown. Was it alive? Was there some shred of latent magic still within? He wasn't fully certain but gnawed clean and crafted from a dead God's skull and by a greater God's hand it was certain that there was some sort of power remaining. It just had no real use for Piper as it was.

Don't see any traits listed but I'm assuming that your posted action is an attempt at artifact/magical item creation. PIPER (+8) attempts to create artifact, Rat King's Crown! Roll was not very successful! +0 Rat King's Crown was created!

Wallastra

Wallastra (the city) had a hundred problems and there was only the one of him (Wallastra the God) to see to any of them. 97 of them now that the wall, the library, and the water wheel were all taken care of. But there was always more. The population of Wallastra for now was stable, although many of the city's dwindling resources had been expended in the abortive attempt at resurrecting the Waterlord, the primary concern among them was checking if the sudden Icestorm had done any damage to the city's buildings. But he reached out through his connections to the stones of the city and the people and drew in the tide of their mundane worries in search of something which required his divine attention.

The city's problems were essentially four,

1) Food and other essential supplies. Although at the moment due to the drastically low population pilfering from abandoned buildings and mostly frozen storehouses sufficed, eventually even those supplies would run out. Perishables, fresh foods, and medicines which required either of the same were basically non-existent. Raiding the ships still frozen out on the bay may have worked, but circumstances had drastically changed since that plan was originally devised.

2) Staying warm was increasingly difficult. Wallastra was not a city designed for retaining heat, and the city's architecture lent itself towards the free movement of air and water than the solid trapping of light and warmth. Cannibalising disused parts of the city for tinder and emergency building materials would do for now, but like the city's supply of food and medicines so too would the heating oil and easily accessible kindling eventually run out.

3) The band of library thieves were increasingly restive. Wizards were always a troublesome and irksome lot, and singly they were merely supernaturally powerful mortals that could be restrained through mortal means. As a group however they represented enough force to perhaps challenge a lesser God, and all it would take was one lapse in judgment or misplaced gag and the wizards would escape their bonds and wreak untold havoc. Wallastra's people were strong in their faith and comfortable with their lot, but with the Ice pressing and the prospect of starvation in the distance who knew what fertile ground the wizards' muffled blandishments would find?

4) The city was still at threat from invaders. The walls were solid, that much had been done but Wallastra had been the target of invaders and thieves already and as a well known and major city full of life and warmth it was a certainty that in time more would come. Already scouts and foragers had reported sightings of wanderers, mortal or supernatural, in the cold lands past the city's walls and it was anyone's guess whether or not they'd turn towards Wallastra.

Three easy problems, one plot hook, and one possible long term threat.

Aesculus- Ascalon

Whatever the rat God was up to paled in comparison to the actual business of managing Ascalon itself, but Aesculus took his vows of friendship and defense seriously as he drew up the plans for his Dome. It would need to cover the entire fortress city, and for that matter extend deeper Beneath as well in order to offer that same protection to the children of the Rat. It would need to be strong but light, flexible enough to bend but not break beneath the weight of ice and snow, with roots deep into the mountain Beneath. The dome rose shakily but steadily as he built, cunning leaving room for the Tower of Sight and its mechanisms for farseeing and Aesculus hammered the last great rivet in place as he listened to the reports on history and lore gathered by his priests from Ascalon's vast population.

"My Lord, the northmen have many myths about the Winter and tales of Ice. It is said by some that before the world existed there was only a great block of Ice, which was licked clean by an enormous cow. Others speak of how the world will end in Ice, after the last great battles of the Gods where Sun, Earth, and Sea alike are dead or murdered and thus mark the final Age. Of ways to combat the Ice or end the Winter there are also many tales or variations thereof, slaying the Winter, rescuing the Summer, the Sun, or the Day's Daughter are all means of doing so, as are the sacrifice of a King or the wooing or breaking of a maiden's heart. We know very little of which of these things the Northern Gods have tried if any, but what we have learned from the city's refugees implies that some if not all of these have been attempted to no real success."

AESCULUS attempts to create an addition to Ascalon, the Wondrous Dome! Roll is success!Ascalon/Beneath Ascalon gains [Wondrous Dome]! The priests have found a lot of different hypotheticals about ways to drive back the Ice, some of which may have already been (unsuccessfully) tried by Gods already.

"WORSHIP ME OR PERISH!"

Larissa flew high into the midnight sky and called to the screaming throng below before diving down and resuming her bloody work. The Empire's soldiers quailed, some gathering together to muster the power for one final prayer or retaliatory strike but beneath the unrelenting tide of Undeath and Larissa's casual raining of death from the skies they buckled and died to a man. The night's screams turned to the wet noises of slashing and rending as the Undead army made good on Larissa's command to leave no man standing and no corpse behind. The air above the battlefield shimmered and quaked with the souls of the newly dead, a quarter of a million of the Empire's citizens put to the sword, fang, or deathly talon.

LARISSA (+10) flips out, attacks RESCUE ARMY! Defends (+6)! RESCUE ARMY defense failure, disadvantage from Routed! RESCUE ARMY was annihilated! A total of 250,000 souls/mortal corpses remains! UNDEAD ARMY sustained no casualties!

BISMARK loses 1 AP from loss of persistent worship/belief!

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 23, 2014

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Parelle

Parelle was knocked off balance momentarily as the freaking lord of hell stole Vendruck from her. This was crazy. There was a giant phallic monster just eating everything, the stronghold was in mid collapse and she had nearly done something profoundly stupid in trying to merge with the dwarven god. Of course, this did not occur to her. Athrak disappeared and that left her free to continue on. She -needed- his power. She wouldn't survive without it. The mortals wouldn't survive.

"Move away from the monster and out of the way!" she bellowed to the dwarves and the Travelers. "I will be there shortly!"

She didn't parlay with the injured lord of hell, she merely whistled for Pirsuq and it enveloped her in a storm. She would need its power too if she, the Travelers, the Dwarves and even Pirsuq would survive. She didn't try to talk Malador down, she didn't try to snatch him back, she fell on him and went for the heart once again. "He's mine! I need him!"

So I read this as Parelle getting her action interrupted. She is now following up and trying to merge with him once again. Again she is going to use her domains to try to dive into him and keep it together. +2 Travel to get there quickly, +2 hope because she wants this to work- Needs this to work, +2 food and drink because she is full of liquid courage, +2 wind storm to get there quickly, +2 warmth to keep moving quickly and not be slowed down by the cold. Flipping out for another +2.

Defending with +2 travel to move quickly, +2 wind storm to deflect any blows, +2 food and drink for that liquid courage again, +2 wamrth to keep from deleterious effects from the cold from slowing her down, +2 hope as she is charging the freaking warden of hell and she needs it to keep from backing down, -2 from flipping out.

So the merging is at +12 as this is not an attack, but trying to meld with Vendruck as before.

Defense is +8

Also shouting at the mortals to move as a group away from the monster. I doubt that they need help convincing to flee, but I hope that they gain some ground and stay together so we can leave as a group. I would tell them to move in a direction away from the monster, but I don't know exactly which that would be. Imagine that I issued a command for a specific direction so they wouldn't panic and flee -everywhere-. I also know that this has no weight behind it, but I figure they probably would need no excuse to run away.

0/16 AP

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 23, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Malador
2AP

Malador cared little now for Athrak and Bismarck's disappearance. They did not matter. The devouring of the corpses of the dwarves and the gods did not matter. Acquiring the Judge mattered. He snarled towards the dwarves. "What are you doing? She is trying to kill your god! Did I not deliver you from the fire? Did I not save your god? Attack her and her worshipers! While I try to save your god!"

He ran closer, trying to reel in the fallen dwarven god with his chains. "You will pay for this, goddess. Your thirst for power interferes with the judgement of souls!" He needed to be quick enough. Then he could get him close, and with a fiery spell he might return back to hell from whence he came.

All right, trying to prevent Parelle from eating Vendruck and teleporting out. Still using those chains from Warden of Hell +4, Flipping out for +2, spending my last 2 AP for another +2, so a +8 on attack. If I manage, I will try to port back to hell, and drat every last risk doing so.
Defence Warden of Hell +2 Flipping out -2

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Isath, Batjullik

Isath sensed the situation before him, thinking carefully. One of the invaders had fled, with an unconscious god in tow, and here, right at the gates of the stone city before it, two other gods were locked in conflict. It seemed one of them was trying to eat a knocked-out god, and the other was highly opposed to the act. Both had seemingly forgotten, for the time being, a tasty morsel - a small shivering thing that was all plump and ready for the taking.
And then, it thought, then there was the invader who fled. He couldn't have gotten that far, as he was weak and carrying with him another god, completely out of it. Isath already had its mind on the task of tracking and pursuing those two, even as it prepared to utterly consume the bound godling.

While Malador and Parelle are distracted with each other, Isath will eat the last surviving enslaved god, without attracting too much attention. Flesh +6 to paralyze the god's physical body, Light +4 to cut down his body into pieces, and going for a quick snack with one of the wandering tendril-mouths before I retract them all back.

14/16 AP + corpses

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Wallastra
7/16 AP (+5 Christmas Cheer AP)

There's no rest for the god of cities. We can return to this issue of the dead pantheon at a later point, let's deal with these problems in the order of severity first.

Let's deal with the warmth, dealing with this may be better for the food situation. I am unsure of what exactly I could replace the fuel with at this moment, but I can at least slow the decrease of our resources a little more. We still have Koncreet left over from rebuilding the wall, we can start by blocking the ventilation holes and the now defunct aqueduct channels, and possibly blocking the draft through our doors with old cloth bundles we have, but that still leaves the long term problem of what we will use as fuel eventually, the one thing I seem to have a lot of is people.

Harvest them

... Strange, let's not dwell on it, and get this plan in order.

Small things make a big difference at times, and such was the case with the incorporation of ventilating holes within the wall of the main buildings, making the burning heat of the summer season more bearable for this in the buildings. Now however, I feel we might never see the sun again, they have become a liability. I and a handful of followers will take the Koncreet we have, and start patching walls, [+4] The Grand Design will help incorporation the fillings solidly into place, [+4]Voice of the People, will co-ordinate the workforce in an efficient manner. With any luck we should be finished before nightfall

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 24, 2014

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Aesculus- Ascalon
15/16

The dome was finished! With this at least some change had come to the globe, yet another line of defence that the storm would have to contend with. Aesculus listened closely to the tales and growled when there seemed to be little success. The fact that the winter had claimed the life of his father and a variety of other Solar deities was worrying, perhaps if he could create an artificial sun? No, such things were bound to end poorly, shelve it for now. Walking the streets the mood seemed somewhat optimistic. The people were generally huddled close together but the vast majority had enough to eat, housing and so on, there was very little that could be done now to prepare other than to wait for the first strike by the winter. He turned to his priests and asked, "If there are any additional secret myths that you can ferret out, do so, I fear these initial attempts may prove fruitless and any information is good".

Aesculus seated himself in the tower of sight and focused the lens far to the North, perhaps some kind of hint what had been attempted and failed. He had brought the old head of the Owl with him and, in between sightings along the tower, he got to work on crafting something to communicate more easily with the entire population of the city. He hoped that the old owl would appreciate (in its clockwork way) that it was being used to teach others again.

Using the Tower for [+2]Tower of Sight to examine the northern reaches for anything that shows a hint for what is happening with the winter, see if there is a force directing it too if possible.
Also going to use Metalworking [+4] to craft the Owls head to the side of the tower with a tube running through it so that I can talk directly through it and alarms can be rung in case of unwelcome discoveries via the Tower.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 24, 2014

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

AP 0/16

While Piper could appreciate fine craftsmanship as much as the next rat-shaped monstrosity, there was little time for him to examine the handiwork of his neighbor above on the surface. With most of the corpse now either safely in his digestive system or converted into exquisite and tasteful jewellery, there was still the matter of cleaning up the mess what the newly six-headed-crown had done to his treasure pile!

Alright, let's start fixing what the SOB SHR has done to Pipers Range and start reasserting my domination of the caverns. +4 King of the Survivors because now I am definitely the king with the end of the pretender rebellion. +2 Deep pits and dark tunnels because that's basically all there is down here. +2 Scavengers cunning since the SHR only messed things up and that doesn't invalidate what I already know and what I already have. +2 Survival by any means since if this means anything, it means I need a better understanding of what I'm ruling over if any Tom, Dick or Ratty can ambush me in my own range.
Repair Pipers Range;Total 10 (0AP)
Ending AP 0/16

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 24, 2014

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Larissa
Mountains of the Empire

Traipsing about the killing fields with delight in her dark heart, Larissa grinned at the piles of cooling corpses she now had to work with. Hundreds of thousands of the enemy slain, and with her own troops all but wholly unhurt. Were all mortals truly this weak? How could Sunhon have failed to conquer the world, given such pathetic opposition? She didn't mind that much, of course - her father's failure would make her own inevitable success all the more grandiose.

The twinkling of spirits in the sky interrupted her daydreams. Of course... the imperials, in the spirit of generosity, had provided both bodies AND souls for her to use. She'd need a memento of this impressive victory, after all - why not forge the eternal souls of her enemies into a trinket? It would feel great to know that they, along with Muruk, would have to watch her achieve victory after victory, all the while powerless in their new forms to stop her. It was a horrible thing to do, which is exactly why she intended to do it.

Flying back into the night's sky, Larissa began to warp the snowy air into a maelstrom, drawing all the free-floating souls towards herself. She'd combine as many of them as she could into an artifact of necromantic power, a rod or scepter to demonstrate both her royalty and divinity.

----

Larissa is going to try her hand at making an artifact again, using all of the imperial souls she has on-hand to do so. Ideally, the artifact will aid in either creating undead or killing the living; Larissa's not that detail-orientated about stuff like this. Since it's made out of the souls of her enemies, I imagine the artifact will probably hate her guts. Her nobles and captains should hopefully have the good sense to start raising corpses on their own, but she'll be doing just that with her next action in case they don't.

Undead [+6] - Forging souls into an instrument of unlife, thereby doubly perverting the natural order.
New At This [-2] - Other than forging Muruk before, she's never made an artifact, and her earlier attempt was a failure. Hopefully a vast amount of raw materials gives her some room for trial and error on this attempt.

Gained 5 AP (Holiday Bonus).
Spending 2 AP.

AP Remaining: 12/15

Rauri fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 27, 2014

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Batjullik - Malador, Parelle, Isath

"No, no, not like this please don't I'll help you we can make a deal let me go please not the tee-AAAAAAHHH!"

The screaming of the Enslaved God rang through Batjullik as the glittering fangs and tenticular masses of Isath's feeding probes dragged him inwards and dismembered him alive. The Dwarves froze, unsure whether to fight or flee but seeing Parelle's failed attempt at claiming the role of their God their faces hardened and angry hands bunched into fists or searched for weapons. Driven from the safety of their city to the cold and unfamiliar sky they turned to their would-be rescuer and muttered quietly and darkly to themselves as they built up the courage to make the first move against phallic invader and human interloper alike.

The opposing Gods stared each other down over Vendruck's fallen form but it was Malador who acted first. Falling backwards in a rattle of chains he bound the Dwarf God tight and beat a hasty retreat through a portal of sulfurous flames. Wreathed in the storm's might as she was Parelle nonetheless stood imposing and proud as she grasped for the Dwarf Lord's heart and failed. Her half turned glance and shouted command was more than enough to startle the Dwarves from any thoughts of suicidal vengeance, and as one they joined with the Travelers and fled Batjullik before the hungry God (or Parelle) could do anything worse about it.

Rolled for initiative, new order is Malador/Parelle/Isath. Parelle's action is an attack + mortal command, Isath's is an attack vs. immobile NPC, and Malador's is a varied action to snake Parelle's meal. ENSLAVED GOD is only a +2 at max, so assuming Isath eats him there's only AP to gain.

MALADOR (+4, 2AP) casts travel spell, Hellish Return! Roll success! MATADOR and VENDRUCK were transported directly to Hell! Scene will not end if 1 or more combatants gives chase!
PARELLE (+12) Flips Out, attacks VENDRUCK! Attack had no valid target! Action reverted to a social attack against DWARVES instead! Defense roll fails! DWARVES flee Batjullik! TRAVELERS flee Batjullik! Both mortals fled together!
ISATH (+10) attacks ENSLAVED GOD, ENSLAVED GOD had no defense! ENSLAVED GOD was killed! ISATH gains +2 AP!

Glacier zone - Warlord Bismark von Trippletrow, The Blight of Suffering, Savior of Pain, The Smugfather

Bismark woke to the oppressive and bone-shattering cold, his mighty mustache already caked solid with ice which was rapidly spreading across the rest of his body. Arthak frowned as he moved deeper into the furrow their crash landing had caused, seeking a momentary respite in which he could reignite his flames but finding none.

"Tch. You're awake. That's better than me having to drag your sorry carcass all the way off this glacier. Hurry up and help me or we'll freeze!"

He cupped his hands together, shivering as the unsteady flame wavered and collapsed. He looked back at Bismark angrily, and the Wargod received the impression that he'd awoken to interrupt something at just the right (or wrong) time. Bismark could feel the absence in the distance, a loss like a ghostly limb which presaged the pain of hundreds of thousands of his worshipers dying elsewhere in the mountains. Dying? Or dead? They were already dead and as the cold weighed down on him he knew that his own death was close at hand.

"Give me enough of your power to get us both out of this."

Bismark opened his mouth to give a witty reply but cut short as he sensed a great metaphysical disturbance in the distance. All of them, his people of the mountains and the army he'd sent to retrieve them, all of them were dead and someone had just destroyed their souls for power or amusement. An image flickered across his mind, the composite of a hundred thousand angry and suffering dead as they struggled in vain before being absorbed and destroyed by a bloody mouthed and laughing young Goddess. Larissa.

Sharing or giving AP, like talking and pantheoning is a free move. Because this is an environmental threat it'll act after Gods have acted. Oh and look, Larissa just ate 250,000 souls that had a tie originally to Bismark.

Wallastra

Fleeting and darksome thoughts about starvation and emergency rations aside, Wallastra turned towards those of his problems that he could solve with practical workmanship. Architecture, carpentry and solid building. He knew how to do that. Although the Koncreet absorbed and radiated cold like any other stone, thick sheets of it and any kind of insulating material was an enormous improvement over the current haphazard state of affairs. Under his direct divine guidance and supervision the city's populace hammered, nailed, and set additions to those structures they now resided until it was significantly better insulated against the cold.

WALLASTRA (+8) casts spell, Build Better Homes Today! Roll was success! Wallastra (the city) has gained trait [Insulated]!

Aesculus- Ascalon

The old Owl had been a kind (if persnickety) teacher and advisor, and Aesculus had many a fond memory of its slightly elderly, clickity voice droning on about some obscure detail of fact or fiction. But it was the Owl's hooting he was after now. Supposing that the improbable happened and the Ice came for Ascalon, and supposing that he was incapacitated or the mortal operators of the Tower of Sight (which he'd just ordered to turn their attention towards the North in search of intelligent life or guided activity behind the Icestorms) were to be struck down by the Ice? Who would then raise the alarm or for that matter who could? Ascalon was an enormous city of millions that extended far beneath the mountain itself, and no mere mortal contrivance could allow rapid communication between its many walled layers.

"Hoot hoot."

He blew twice into the waiting tube, eliciting a familiar and hollow echo in response which rang throughout the city. Communicating back from a million varied points in the city was impossible short of a technological miracle, but in an emergency whoever sat in the seat atop the Tower would be able to issue commands or loud-ish warnings and hopefully ease any such evacuation or related actions.

AESCULUS directs the mortal operators of the +2 TOWER OF SIGHT to look North and scry for details of Icestorms!
AESCULUS (+8) creates an addition to Ascalon's defenses, Owl's Call! Roll was successful! Ascalon has gained trait [Owl's Call]!

Piper looked over the remains of his Range mournfully. It was all wrong. Piles of unidentifiable (but still priceless) treasures were smashed or scattered all along the breath of the Scurrying Chambers, and the complex web of scent and markings he'd painstakingly carved out as a system of cataloging had been ground aside or smeared across with the chaos of hot blood and death.

He groomed himself contemplatively, cursing the Sixhorned Rat one last time as the God's remnants wound themselves somewhere around his lower intestine and he began the work of dragging his piles of treasures back together into bigger piles of treasure. In the space Beneath Ascalon there would be only one King, only One Rat, one Hoard. Piper crawled along the wreckage, finding every lost piece and counting it twice, replacing every bent wire or mouldy crust until everything was right once again in his underground kingdom.

PIPER (+10) repairs +2 Piper's Range! Roll was success! Piper's Range +2 has been repaired!

The souls of the Imperial army and citizens by rights would have gone to Bismark, but as the God on the spot with her hands still deliciously red with their life's blood Larissa found it easy going to simply open her jaws wide and draw them forcibly into herself. Her hands flexed, claws becoming fingers glowing with all the power of her unholy might as she drew on the many deaths scattered around and above the battlefield, binding them screaming and moaning into a single cohesive form. A wand? No, not regal enough. A scepter? Maybe. Whatever she would call it, it took form and writhed with suffering and feeble resistance against her grasp and she grinned. Done.

Larissa's priests and nobles set about the everyday drudge work of preparing their rituals and incantations, the sheer scale of creating a quarter of a million new undead presenting its own (but not as fearsome as Larissa) challenges.

Oh goddamnit, I had just hit preview reply because the update was finished too. :I
LARISSA (+4, 2AP) creates +2 Rod of Necromantic Might! LARISSA sacrifices the souls of 250,000 mortals! Roll was successful! +2 Rod of Necromantic Might created!
Mortal undead priests raising new undead troops falls under the mortal orders category, and may take a while as they go about the whole rigamarole of lighting candles and waiting until midnight, etc. if you want to hang around and do something else. Otherwise yeah take the shot yourself next round for hot instant magic action. This is a quarter of a million dead we're talking about and normally that'd be one hell of a miracle.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Wallastra
12/16 AP

Next food, I mean step it's time for food. I have two ways we can attempt to tackle this issue I have a suspicion that neither will go down well. We don't have the space, or surviving livestock to herd animals, and our buildings were not equipped to grow crops indoors even before the world froze over, being in the middle of a desert and we don't have the resources to grow them otherwise. When we bring to mind something we can grow in a confined space with little resources, that leaves, Mushrooms and Insects. The alternative will be worse.

First let's try growing mushrooms. We will have what Herbalists we have left see if they can harvest anything edible, or medicinal from our damp cellars, and attempt to cultivate more of it into a stable food supply, it will help supplement our decreasing food reserves at the very least.

Second, if there is one thing that survived the deep freeze, it's insects. Crickets are always plenty around these parts, and crickets are easy to grow. A small amount of sugar mixed in with some water and we can feed a whole batch of them, and we could just as easily keep them in a barrel without much issue.

Third, as a more future development, gather some wheat seeds that have survived from our storage, do we have /any/ suitable soil that we can grow this on at all, and could we try growing it in a more, indoor environment?

Go forth and find us a food supply peasants, your god is busy otherwise ([-2] Does Not Micromanage), add [+4] Voice of the People plus 2 AP to assist in the growing endeavour and we will hopefully have something we can work with

The other one, will just be a roll to see "What can I do in this situation?", with nothing added to it

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Parelle

Pirsuq was her skin. They shrieked as one as Parelle's insane need for power and Pirsuq's nature plunged toward the heart of the fallen dwarven god. In the end there was nothing but hellfire as the lord of hell fled. Fled? From her? She paused for the briefest of moments and then frowned. This didn't make sense at all, and as she came back to her senses she realized that she left the Travelers and the dwarves both to the wrath of a hungry predator god. She kicked herself. This was unacceptable. She strode toward the fleeing people and directed them to follow her. Wrapped in Pirsuq she was alien and terrifying, no longer approachable like she was with the Travelers such a short time ago. Perhaps she would calm down, but wrapped up in the moment she used that momentum to propel herself forward. She needed that motion to get things done. The mortals had been for all intents and purposes abandoned by everyone but her and soon the predator god would surely find and eat them.

"Your dwarven god was not strong enough to protect you," she spoke. "I found you dying and took you away from your crumbling home. I am all you have left. If you do not follow me you will not survive. I will allow you to travel with me and my Travelers, but you will act hospitably and keep up or be left behind." Her shape was vague in the storm, but her neck turned to cast a look back. "Follow or die. I do not have the luxury for patience."

Parelle felt numb, angry and ashamed at the way that she acted. She told herself it was for some greater good and she could definitely follow and try to destroy the warden of hell she realized, but that would mean abandoning the mortals. This she would not do so long as they would follow her and not blindly march to their own deaths. She took a few deep breaths, hardened her heart and made a decision. She was dangerous, she was powerful, and she decided that this was the time to go back home. Her people need one of their own and her family were all dead. She would settle both cases.

Parelle is not following, but instead leaving. She is going north to her old home. It was the site at which her brothers and sisters were murdered. The terrain is rocky, forested (at least at one time). The house is a mess, though her brothers and sisters were buried. It is probably a good place to settle as she knows the area, though it would be a melancholy homecoming.

She is going to make a travel spell to get there. +2 travel to get to her destination, +2 hope to encourage a desperate need to get to her destination, +2 food and drink to provision for the way, +2 warmth to melt a path through the snow, and +2 wind storm to make their pace a swift one. If the dwarves or the Travelers try moving away from the course she sets, she'll task Pirsuq with corralling them and remove the +2 wind storm and instead add 2 AP for the travel spell. Also if Isath tries to follow I would ask for a +2 upshift in escaping him as he is otherwise busy and I have already begun to move away.

2+2+2+2+2=10 for the travel spell.

If the dwarves don't come then Pirsuq will make them using +2 wind storm. 2+2+2+2+2AP=10 using Parelle's traits and 2 AP, but I won't spend it otherwise.

I would also like to change -2 nonviolent to -2 protector of mortals now that combat is over. The warden of hell ran from her, though maybe not just because of her. Still, that is a start and she is beginning to discover a more martial and protective side of herself

5AP/16AP.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 27, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Malador
5 AP

Malador appeared back into Hell in a cloud of brimstone, carrying the fallen Dwarfish god alongside him. Devils looked surprised, the usuually impeccably dressed Warden of Hell covered in scorch marks and blood. His face was tight with anger, his clawed hands lashing out, pointing out devils and calling out orders.

"You, this is Vendruck. He is a god and my guest! See to his wellbeing! I want the Demon Princes gathered immediately, and all forces ready for battle. We may suffer pursuit! And if not, then we should be ready to strike back!" He strode through the planes of suffering, the damned not even daring to scream faced with their tormentor's wrath. But he was in his element. Here he might revel in his strength, and mend in Hellfire what had been damaged by divine flames.

All right, back at base, trying to get Vendruck up on his feet for talking about the judging thing, and trying to get myself healed as well. How do I go about that?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

That did not go well, Enki thinks to himself as he watches the Tomb Horror recede into the distance. After a few moments, he speeds off in pursuit, determined to limit the damage the thing would no doubt do. Not for the sake of Thaisaidain itself -- he'd be content to see it razed to the ground, if for no other reason than as an antidote to Larissa's hubris -- but for the sake of what Thaisaidain protected, however unwittingly.

Returning to Thaisiadain and tracking the Tomb Horror. Trickster Spirit +4 and Inbetween All Worlds +2 to stay hidden from the thing, as well as from the remaining undead. Given that I'm not really acting Heroic or going against my nature (yet), I don't think my disadvantages apply. If it begins to tear through the city, I'll just watch the fun for now, though if it looks like it's going to damage anything that's essential to keeping the Seals intact, I'll certainly intervene (presumably next turn) to stop it. To that end, I didn't particularly envision Trickster Spirit being a directly offensive trait, but I wager it could come in handy for, say, luring the Tomb Horror into a building and then collapsing it on the thing?

Ending AP: 9/16

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Isath, Batjullik

Isath surveyed the ice plains around it, and the city's gaping mouth before its eyes. The gods, it seemed, had left toward many places in a flurry of activity. Again, Isath did not understand what their motives had been - it all seemed so chaotic. But here, before its hungry maw, was the dark entryway to a city carved into the stone of the earth. Many mortals were either dead or left, but Isath thought something should still remain down there. Perhaps the low folk had stored some manner of artifact deep in its vaults, or some - the weak, the infirm, the children - were still alive in there, huddled against the cold and waiting for the return of their guardian god. Alas, Isath would give them all refuge from the cold, even if they did not want to.
Isath's stomach was full of corpses. All those it gathered from the battlefield, about half a million dead men. They were the perfect tool - Isath lacked the versatility to actually go inside the city, since it was such a big and clumsy thing. Instead, he thought of ants. Isath had not seen any ants in a long time - the freezing of the soil might have possibly killed them all or made them retreat deeper underground. Ants seemed peaceful beings, but Isath had many times seen an ant colony attack another, enemy colony, of a rival species. The ants were ruthless in their dedication to extermination - they went into the enemy anthill, and scoured its tunnels, eating the queen and the workers, and stealing the larvae, bringing them to their own chambers and raising them as their own. Isath had half a million small corpses - enough ants, it thought.

Converting the accumulated corpses into underground exploration fleshbeasts, to ransack anything of value and assimilate (i.e. integrate souls into Isath's reservoir if possible) anything alive still in the depths of Batjullik. Flesh +6 to create good mutant spelunker beasts and control them like so many fingers, and Light +4 to give them the gift of good vision and blinding floodlights, which is sure not to be the inhabitants' cup of tea. Spending 1 AP

20 AP

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 28, 2014

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

AP 5/20

Passable. Things we're now passable again for Piper, as he sat upon his golden pilethrone. His enemies lay dead, his allies scurried above him in contentment and his children were... probably fine. All growing civilisations needed a bit of unsupervised play time. Probably. All that was left now was the heady mix of happiness and indigestion that slowly coursed through him. And then, a thought was sparked. A couple of final indignities to inflict upon the dearly departed; In one sense, it would be something that would show future generations exactly what Piper thought about the six-headed meal. On the other it would foster good relations between the humans above and the scurrying below, laughing in the face of what the six-horned meat stood for.

He was King down here now, King of the scavengers and the survivors. King of the Scurrying and of rats. But with no more pretenders to his rule, he was the Sovereign of much, much more. All things that would slither and slide within the earth was subject to his law. All that feasted upon the flesh of dead things, be it animal or plant, humbled themselves before him. Even the Lichens and the Fungus’s paid homage to him in their own small way, as they had done during the short journey to Ascalon and it was through this he would spit in the eye of the Six-Horned Rat! The rumbling in his intestines was growing and his need was becoming powerful, but Piper would wait until he found the perfect spot to begin planting his garden.

I want to create “The Sacred Grove Of Ascalon” not as a sacred space (but I'll probably try and turn it into one eventually), just as a taggable thing like Ascalon's “Mountain Forge”. Fertilising the earth with the leavings of a god, which themselves are formed by a divine source, the tunnels Beneath Ascalon should remain fertile until the end of days (about next Tuesday by the way things are going). Piper will be encouraging all sorts of mushrooms, lichens and other flora of that nature, in order to help feed The Scurrying and the rising population of the city above. +4 King of the Survivors and +2 Survival By Any Means, to encourage and speed up the necessary growths, +2 Deep Pits and Dark Tunnels and +2 Pipers' Range to find the best place to seed this garden. Possible application of +2 Scavengers Cunning because of the whole “spit in the eye of the rat bastard” and it would probably take a bit of cunning to both seed the garden and stop the Scurrying from overrunning it in one go. -2 FOOD for that very reason. No AP for now, I want to save what I have so I don't get caught flat-footed again.

Seed the Sacred Grove of Ascalon. Total; 10 (0AP)
Ending AP 5/20.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Larissa
Mountains of the New Empire

New artifact in hand, the cruel vampiress wasted no time in using it to start raising the staggering array of corpses her attack had generated. The Rod of Necromantic Might being used to animate the bodies of the very souls that composed it was a cruel irony that Larissa rather enjoyed. She could feel their screams, and bared her fangs in an insane grin. The Vampire Queen had never felt the terror and pain of so many before. It was ecstasy.

Still, she had an invasion to plan, an army to run, horrors to create... she was swamped. Best tell her minions what to do, to lighten her workload.

"Soldiers and servants - if you're starving, there's plenty of food. Eat what you need. Remember the sun will be out soon though, don't go out into it if you're not supposed to. Scouts, look around for roads and passages towards their cities. Nobles and priests, assist me in raising the dead mortals. Since they were gracious enough to give me another army, I might as well accept it."

---

Using Undead [+6] and Rod of Necromantic Might [+2] to start raising corpses into more troops / fodder. Larissa intends to use the rest of the day for this while her troops refit / reorganize / scout around, and as such she's not trying to impress anyone with a massive miracle - instead she'll be conserving her energy, taking her time, and raising corpses in bunches instead of the full 250k* at once. Since most of the slain were soldiers, I guess I lucked into having armed / armored / giant corpses to work with.

Total +8. If this action extends into the day, Darkness [+2] should hopefully counteract Nocturnal [-2], which is why I'm saving it instead of using it to generate wraiths and shadows along with all the skelingtons and zombies.

*Since Larissa's given starving (and I'm sure they'll stretch that definition) undead permission to eat what they need, I'm sure this number is gonna end up being lower.

EDIT: Whoops, I'm bad at math. Basic Arithmetic error fixed.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 31, 2014

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Wallastra

As an active trade hub Wallastra had seen a wide variety of exotic and disparate goods cross its docks and storehouses and as foodstuffs went fungi or insects were hardy the strangest or rarest of foods to pass before the customs officers' desks. They'd kept good records, meticulous records of weight, type, descriptions of use and origin, and adjusted value for taxation purposes but most importantly they'd kept records about what was stored where. Crickets were an impossibility, too fragile and light to withstand the pressures of time and cold and all the searching of his citizens turned up was a handful of dusty and crumbling shells. Fungus was a little better, there were many breeds which the Dwarves and other residents of the deep places bred and used for food and medicinal purposes and Wallastra's storehouses and apothecaries had plenty of samples of that.

The city had none of the deep caves or warm, damp spaces that such fungi required to thrive but the library's records included a wealth of information on the cultivation of fungi and soon a modest but healthy bloom of edible fungi was being cultivated in the city's remaining middens. It would suffice as a source of long term source of food for the city provided nothing untoward or disastrous happened.

WALLASTRA (+2, 2AP) casts Alternative Food resources! Roll success! WALLASTRA has created a mortal Food resource! It will prevent stave off the effects of Starvation unless mitigated or destroyed!

Parelle - Cabin in the Woods

The siblings had never bothered naming their cosy little cabin, for them it had simply been the home that they'd inevitably come back to from sturm and drang alike with Parelle busy at the stove or sitting at the window with a project or good book in her lap. Now she came at the head of a long procession of mortals, clothed in the storm's breath and brimming with power greater than anything she'd ever held. Parelle caught a glimpse of herself in a pane of broken glass and for a moment was shocked at the woman she saw. When had her face become so... lean? Her jaw was firm and set, and having thrown herself into a battle of life and death in order to defend the mortal lives in her keeping she realised for the first time what her brothers had meant when they'd said that sometimes fights just have to happen.

The cabin was more or less as she'd left it. Cold, desolate, and scavenged over by wild animals or worse alike. The hearth was empty and dark, the stone itself broken by cold or malice but this was still her home. The Dwarves and Travelers who had followed her alike had fallen silent, sensing the sanctity of the place despite its condition and Parelle's lack of explanation as they watched her expectantly for what she would do next.

PARELLE (+10, 2 AP) casts travel spell, Windbound Journey! Roll was successful! DWARVES, TRAVELERS, PARELLE, and PIRSUQ have been moved to the Cabin in the Woods! PARELLE's Flaw has been changed! The Cabin in the Woods may look like an ordinary cabin on the outside, but it is the house of Gods a God. It can be as big enough or small enough as the resident God requires and has the following traits: Broken Hearth, Divine Home, Looted

Malador - Hell

Malador cast off his burnished armour and soot-stained cloak, raising his arms as a devilish attendants fluttered and flapped around him to be the first to strip away damaged cloth or furnish him with unblemished replacements. Around him Hell rumbled and buzzed like a hive of bees readying for war and the damned moaned in terror at the thought of what force would dare to invade Hell itself. Malador returned to his grand throne, letting the infernal energy of the place seep passively into his bones as he concentrated on healing the injuries done to him by Arthak's blast. The wound was deep, and knitting his flesh back together by force of will alone was painful but difficult and he'd only just begun when an irate Vendruck burst in on him trailing lesser devils and functionaries behind. The Dwarf Lord clenched his fists to steady himself as he glared upwards at the Infernal Throne.

"Malador! What right have you to bring me here and keep me away from my children?!"

I'll auto-fill your action as a heal-self spell then since it seems to be what you were asking about and Vendruck has awakened on his own due to the new scene. Mortal orders were also given to prepare Hell for an attack, which will gradually be put into motion. MALADOR(+4) casts healing spell, Infernal Strength! Roll was success! One (+2) rank was healed! Vendruck is awake but at +0. If you want a short chat exchange we can try something out over PM or do it here.

Enki, Lord of the Secret Places - Thaisaidain

Enki crept into the city above, moving from shadow to shadow as he sought the scent of the Lesser Horror which had fled. As a tireless hunter or clever thief he'd always had an eye for the best hiding places or ways to muddy a trail but as he moved through Thaisaidain's haunted but not empty streets he found himself quite surprised. He knew it was there, he'd seen it with his own two eyes and by the prickling of his divine senses he could tell that it inhabited the same broad space as him but in the city above he found only the same petty Undead he'd left behind.

He watched them go about their business, observing carefully their petty bickering and meaningless plots against one another for signs of anything different or unusual. Nothing. No chaos, no bloodshed, no secret or profane rituals to breach the walls of reality itself. Only the tiresome and constant backbiting of the lesser vampire lords as they jockeyed for position and tried to do it quietly enough that the angry eye of their God would not take notice.

ENKI casts spell, Hide from Horrors (and also Undead)! Roll was success! LESSER TOMB HORROR is nowhere to be seen! Godsenses indicate that another God is in the vicinity!

Batjullik - Isath

Isath swelled and writhed, growing gravid with the weight of half a million corpses wrapped tightly beneath cocoons of its hot flesh. Making life was no simple thing, but what God had not? With plentiful and ready materials on hand soon the first of the glowing eyed, monstrous Tunnelers was dropped mewling and squealing into the world, following the basic instincts remaining in each withered brainstem as they shambled forward and downwards into the ruins of Batjullik.

As the Tunnelers crawled forward into the mighty and broken vaults Isath found itself mildly surprised as it sensed he tiny and meaningless thoughts of the Tunnelers begin to take form. As a race and a people they were barely more than intelligent animals, but somewhere beneath the atavistic thoughts of avarice and hunger there was free will, and bearing its wet imprint across their souls Isath suddenly found itself the focus of half a million worshipers.

ISATH (+10, 1 AP) rolls to create 500,000 creatures! Roll was great success! ISATH has created free-willed mortal life! TUNNELERS (pop 500,000) have been created! Default worship is ISATH! They barely qualify for sentience, but persistent worship/belief in ISATH is present!

Cheeks full and bulging, Piper crawled across the dark spaces Beneath seeking the perfect space to plant his grove. Was this cave better than another? Or would moisture driven from Ascalon's vents encourage the growth of fungus here as opposed to there? He really didn't know but making the effort anyway gleefully dug, planted, and fertilised each potential spot he sniffed out. Soon a mighty bloom of grotesque but edible growths towered and quivered in the dark places in the Scurrying Chambers, the Sacred Grove christened in honour of the two cities alliance and future together.

Scurrying Chambers gains trait: Sacred Grove of Ascalon (not actually Sacred)

Larissa - Mountains of the New Empire

An army was too good a thing to waste, even if it had just been driven wholly into rout and slaughtered at the hands of a greedy and rapacious God. Raising the Rod of Necromantic Might high, Larissa wove her power into the last of the night's rays to force mobility and sentience back into damaged and cold flesh. Slashed throats and broken jaws creaked and groaned as Vampire Queen's power coursed through them and with careful and methodical work a hundred thousand heavily armed troops stood ready for her command alongside the twenty five thousand mindless dead chaff her priests had created alongside her. Mindful of the coming day, the Thaisaidain's army hurriedly fed and butchered their way through the corpses to provision themselves for the march ahead as its scouts crept ahead to locate the next closest population center.

LARISSA (+8) uses the ROD OF NECROMANTIC MIGHT to cast spell, Mass Create Greater Undead! Roll was great success! 100,00 HEAVY TROOPS UNDEAD were created! Mortal priests cast spell, Mass Create Undead! Roll was success! 25,000 (nonsentient) UNDEAD were created! UNDEAD ARMY consumes 50,000 corpses! UNDEAD ARMY gains an expendable +2 Upshift to next action! 75,000 corpses remaining in zone! Mortal orders: Scout Ahead are in progress!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Wallastra
10/16 AP - 1 AP

That will do now to deal with our 'guests'. They have outstayed their welcome languishing in my dungeons for a good while now that will not do at all. The thought has been dwelling on his mind, more then the dwindling resources.

We can't let them go, they might come back, they might come back with hordes of barbarians. That will create issues I am not willing to confront
I could just pitch them off the walls, no one will be none the wiser if I get my personal guards to do it. But if they get an inkling of what I intend to do them, they would have nothing to lose from a breakout
Leaving them there will just give them ears the moment something goes wrong.
Integrate them into society, preposterous, they seem very set in their ways, nothing will change their minds at time point.

"Not unless you forced them."
...?
"Your power attains to greater dominion over all who are marked as civilians within these walls"
... But the people I marked were willing. They were merely children, I ordained what was in their best interests.
"Men are fallible, free will is fallible, there will come a time where you will be forced into measures that mortal's find distasteful"
I am in the dungeons, I have the sacred ointment of my order in my hand, how did I get here?
The priesthood are your will, the people are your right hand, but the left hand shrivels at the stump
This is the cell of the infiltrators, I have the key. Where is the guard?
Worst is coming, harsh times require harsh measures. Prepare. Prepare. Prepare.
Prepare...

The Wizard was asleep, all that yelling and starvation get the better of him. All the better, if he struggled this would be difficult. As was the practice with newborns, scented oil, marked on the forehead and a small expenditure of divine energy. But this time it was not a gentle touch, it was a forceful grasp, a slight but concentrated burst of divine power directly into the mind of the prisoner. 'Be still, and listen'

You feel [+4] The Voice of the People, a brief whispering of the hopes and fears of all in the city, they would hear it, as he heard it, and they would be connected directly to the sway of the populi. As the people were under his protection with this power, these men would be bound to it directly. His word was the word of the people, and their words would be his. A blinding flash (1 AP) the words were seared into the mind, the mortal tools of a powerful god. These will be the Sect on which I can enact the means to ensure this city thrives, and survives when the courage and determination of mortal men would falter. The Utopian Sect.

This is the right thing to do, this is for the good of the people. by the +2 Ancient Compact I promised that I would protect this city.
This is for their own good.
I am doing it for them.
[-2] By Any Means Necessary
I am in the right, I know I am in the right.
And yet something feels terribly wrong

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 3, 2015

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Parelle

There was a certain eerie silence and stillness to her old home. The forest had stood up well to the ice, though this obviously wouldn't be the case forever. Her eyes kept sliding away from her broken home, from the graves and to the mundane. She remembered playing on that hillock over there. There used to be flowers there. They were a mix of purple and gold. When the twilight would hit them, she remembered how her sister enchanted them to make one color turn from the other. They were dead now of course. The flowers, her brothers and sisters, but the house stood.

She took a big breath to steady herself. Her mortal followers were watching her now. She felt the weight of their collective gaze upon her. She would need to attend to them soon, but to make them a home she would need help. She couldn't let them watch what she did next and so she whispered, "I will be back in just one moment. I will not go far," and stepped away faster than a blink. The rumble of Pirsuq could be heard, but Parelle was gone. Not far at all in fact, but just out of sight to the other sight of the house. To the hastily dug graves. She stood among them, each marked with a stone etched with their names in an oddly childlike scrawl. Parelle didn't remember doing that, but then again, she didn't remember many things about this place. She sounded off with each name, eleven of them, until she came to the one she was looking for. It wasn't the last, but her eyes slid away from it until the moment came.

"Hello Reginald," she said quietly. "Master craftsman. Master builder. I remember when you built our house. I was so pleased with my kitchen. Everything was in order. Everything was in its proper place. It's a bit of a mess now. That's why I need you after all," she said to the grave, a an undercurrent of hysteria slowly rose in her voice. "I'm a long strider, a hope giver, a warmth grantor, and a bringer of nourishment. Now I'm just a little more. I'm a storm tamer and I'm even beginning to know the path of a warrior, but I have absolutely no clue about hammers, nails or boards." She looks at her hands. There were callouses there, but in all of the wrong places for building anything, and she needed a new home for the mortals here. "I need you, Reginald. I need your skill. I can't let the sanctity of a grave stop me from my work. I need you," she repeated, and began to cry. "I'm sorry that I can't just let you sleep."

There was no shovel and perhaps there were better ways to do it, but Parelle broke through the frost with her hands and scooped the frozen dirt out with her hands. She needed her brothers and sisters. Perhaps one day they might walk with her again, but she couldn't raise them all. She may not even be able to raise one. She began to sing as she cried and her choked sobs marred the music, but it still came. It was a song they all sang as children, a song she would hum in the kitchen, a song of togetherness and family. She sang it as her fingers uncovered his wracked body, and then his desiccated face. She sang it even as her body was wracked with all the pain that she had been burying for so long. She reached into her pack and retrieved a piece of candy, his favorite, with mud and blood streaked fingers. She hadn't even noticed that some of her fingernails were gone from the scrabbling. "Silly," she thought distantly, and placed the piece of wintergreen candy into his mouth. His favorite.

"For we have been parted for far too long, together we shall be. The years are long and the miles are far, but we stay a family."

"Reggie, won't you please wake up?"

Parelle is defiling a grave to try and resurrect one of her brothers as she is a rather terrible builder. +2 food and drink to lure him back with his favorite food, +2 warmth to help restore warmth and life to him, +2 hope because she desperately wants him back, and +2 travel to make the way back into his body easier for his soul from wherever it may be. I will be sinking in the last 3 AP. Also if I could get an upshift for defiling the graves or using an existing body as I don't plan on doing this again, that would be super.

2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 AP = 11

Possibly +2 for the upshift if you're feeling generous which would mean a +13 total.

I want to resurrect Reginald the Builder, a minor god who has a +2 in construction.

0 AP left.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 3, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Enki, Lord of the Secret Places Belet-Seri, Scribe of the Earth

The Beast from Beneath remains hidden, Belet-Seri realizes, before smugly thinking to herself, but it, or whatever other Divinity may be here, shall by no means succeed in tricking the Trickster. And yet, there is no reason to face the Creature alone when I cause it to reveal itself…

And so Belet-Seri finds her way to the pinnacle of the Obsidian Ziggurat, manifesting herself in all her terrible glory to the squabbling undead princes. "Greetings, Lords of Undeath!" she intones, her voice carrying far and wide for all to hear. "I, Belet-Seri, Recorder of the Dead and intermediary for Enmesarra, Judge and Regent of the Underworld, declare you to be Edimmu -- the Remnants of those not yet properly judged in the afterlife -- and declare your souls forfeit to me. Your goddess has abandoned you; oppose me, and I will personally escort you into Eternal Torment. Heed my words, however, and you may escape with your unLife, and with your power intact." With that dire warning hanging in the air, she calls upon her divine power to begin drawing their souls inexorably to herself.

But then, after what amounts to only a gentle tug, she pauses dramatically. "Enmesarra, who calls himself Malador, does indeed seek to lay claim to your souls for your offenses against his authority. His arrogant pretensions notwithstanding, though, the King of Hell is a fool. His will does not hold sway here; nevertheless, Larissa has not the strength to oppose him should he come for her. She cannot even protect this majestic City of the Dead from the Divine Being that at this very moment is coming from Beneath you to devour all. Thaisaidain needs a new regent, one who has the strength and foresight to properly rule and defend this timeless place -- you know this, and I know this. With Larissa, the pretender to the throne, forgetting her place and abandoning her sacred duty in order to pursue one of her vain and foolish quests against the mortals, the time has come for you to show yourselves to be the rightful Rulers of Thaisaidain by purging the interloper skulking through this place!"

I'm going for social combat with the most powerful of the sentient undead, Flipping Out [+2] and using an area-effect "spell" from Ambush to bend those nominally in charge to my will. I'm obviously threatening them, but also buttering them up a little bit in an attempt to convince them to prove themselves by going up against the Lesser Tomb Horror. Relevant traits are Trickster Spirit [+4], Everything New Under the Sun [+2], and Inbetween All Worlds [+2], along with the Upshift [+2] against Larissa's undead society, since I'm trying to separate them from her control and bind them to my own (permanently, assuming any of them survive what's coming). Total is [+12], and if the Ambush is successful that will inflict an additional Rank of (social) damage on my opponents as well. I'm spending 2 AP on top of that; I want to gain absolute control of the undead lords (and through them, the undead foot soldiers) as quickly as possible so I can have a passel of Undead Minions on hand to track down the Tomb Horror -- and let's be honest, to take the brunt of the damage as well, should the Thing prove to be feisty.

Ending AP: 7/16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Larissa
Mountains of the New Empire

Raising her new legion had brought her some joy, but it just wasn't creative enough. Any ole idiot could raise powerful undead given corpses of this caliber to work with - her nobles had managed, and that was proof enough. No, she needed to do something bigger, grander and awfuler with the remnants of her slain foes. Clambering to the top of one of the charnel piles, the Vampire Queen held the Scepter of Necromantic might aloft. She sent her own dark energies coursing into it, she admired the way it crackled and pulsed with her divinity, and then drove it into the pile. She wanted the whole thing, all thousand or so bodies, to animate all at once, to fuse into a single being.

She'd repeat the process on the remaining 75,000 corpses. With any luck, she'd have at least fifty Fleshpiles* ready to decimate Imperial defenses and horrify the living ready to go by nightfall. In the meantime, her troops were both integrating the newly fashioned undead and readying to march when their God gave them her command.

-----
*Fleshpile, as with every name Larissa gives, is a temporary one - she'll waffle back and forth between two or three other titles for them, same way she does the Rod and Vampire Queen / Queen of All Undead.

Animating Greater Undead, specifically, trying to fashion the remaining bodies into giant flesh golems. Larissa is concerned about attacking cities and castles, since her army is currently a bit short on siege weapons. These guys should hopefully fix that particular problem, since they're incredibly huge / tough wrecking balls. As far as her troops go, she just wants them to be ready to march when the scouts return with (hopefully) possible locations to attack.

Undead [+6], Scepter of Necromantic Might [+2], for a total of +8.

No AP expenditure this turn.

• Locked thread