Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Vendruck

16/16 AP

Arthak. A detestable and cursed name if ever there was one. One of the quickest to claim what he wanted, and now that his greed had caught up with him and cost him much of his people and his entire domain to ice he came traipsing here. Was it he who had sacked Hjelkar? Possible, but Vendruck didn't think so. Arthak would have moved on and his people would not have waited to die. Besides if he had, the barbarian would be gloating about it even now. Still, Vendruck was curious about the origin of these Dwarves. Had they managed to survive capture, or had they been loyal but chosen to live on the surface? Or were they filthy traitors, who had turned their backs on him and now suffered for their lack of honour and duty. He had to know.

The Dwarves above the gate, moved a great contraption into place. It was a set of complicated glass plates of many colours and focus. When light was channelled through them they produced an image of what had been carefully worked out ahead of time. In this case it was Vendruck. Arthak was desperate and full of bluster, so Vendruck would play off of that for the time being. A lantern was brought to bear and the image flickered into light, startling the miserable captive dwarves. Arthak burst into hideous and mocking laughter.

POOR LITTLE VENDRUCK, TOO AFRAID TO MEET ME IN PERSON! LOOK AT YOUR TRICKS, WHAT WILL YOUR SCARY GHOST DO? OOOOH!!!

The barbarian waved his hand through the image, causing the complicated set of reflections to shine onto a different point than intended and distorting the image. The crowd behind him brayed obediently.

"HAIL MIGHTY ARTHAK. GLORIOUS CONQUEROR OF THE PLAINS OF PARN." Vendruck began, referencing the homelands of the barbarian peoples. His voice was laced with spite and insult, and spoke their tongue although accented and slightly crudely. Few of the dwarves in Batjullik would understand the exchange. "HOW GOES YOUR HERDS? YOUR SHAMANS ARE WELL STOCKED WITH HERBS FOR HEALING AND VISIONS I HOPE? HOW DESPERATE ARE YOU THAT YOU MUST EAT MY CHILDREN, WHO YOU SO HUMBLY REMINDED ME WERE NOT...IN YOUR WORDS, A 'REAL PEOPLE' AND 'CRUDE IMITATIONS OF THE WORK OF TRUE GODS'. YOUR GLORY IS HUMBLING THAT YOU MUST STOOP TO SUCH LOWS."

Good, get him angry and keep him talking. Meanwhile Vendruck reached out, slightly, to sense at the connection to the Dwarves. Were they his? Or did they belong to another?

All this time, his sappers moved into position...ready for Vendruck's command.

Vendruck needs to know if these Dwarves are worthy of saving. Are they promised to another god, dead or alive, or do they remain faithful to him?

Artifice [+2] to distract Arthak and his forces with a pretty light show.
Dwarf [+4] to test his connection to his 'children' out there.
Grudgebearer [-4] because he hates Arthak as a bully and one of his tormentors. There are no imagined grudges here I am sure.

Total +2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Vendruck

14/16 AP

Vendruck's eyes clouded for a moment with a terrible rage, and part of it was directed to himself. But he had to do something now, to save the others. The sappers were ready, he gave the signal and it went through the tunnels. He counted. 1...2...3...4...then just after five he yelled out across the entrance in dwarven; MARQU HAEDEDU; "Brace yourselves!"

At the same time the sappers detonated their charges and began to collapse the caverns and tunnels lying directly between the bulk of Arthak's forces and his captive minor godlings. Arthak, due to his proximity to the dwarves there was spared from the collapse however. A shame, but it gave Vendruck the chance for personal retribution later. The sappers had already fallen back to more secure positions in the tunnels, ready to fight off the survivors.

This was Arthak's folly, he was so used to charging along or across plains that he did not think in three dimensions. The surface was flat, but underneath it the world was not. He would learn this lesson in his final days.

He was temporarily surprised by the presence of Malador, who suddenly found rows of crossbows trained on his position.

"Speak, child of the hells. I have no time for you and you have no claim to my children. Or have you and your kin finally decided to cast aside your pretend treaties and claim the rest of the world below from me? You shall not find me a meek opponent who gives up what is rightfully his."

I believe this is an attack of sorts;
Artifice [+2] for the detonators and charges,
Dwarves [+4] for the use of his sappers in detonating the tunnels below,
Underground [+2] because Vendruck is utilising more than just the approach to Batjullik
+2 AP because I want to punish Arthak and his followers.

Total of +12

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Vendruck

9/16 AP

There was a fine line between a berserker rage and the all consuming anger that comes from great tragedy. It was a kind of white hot clarity that seared at Vendruck's mind. In an awful logic he assessed the situation.

If he went to defend the city against the godling, whom he could probably kill easily, Arthak would slaughter many of them.
If he went to defeat Arthak first, the godling would have a freer reign in the city. There would still be losses.
Then there was the matter of Malador, whose purpose was unknown to Vendruck but he did not seem an ally to Arthak. Or maybe he was, and Malador was simply a fool...

He had choices, but there was only one he would take, every time this scenario was presented to him. He go for the head and hope the rest of the body would wither away. He'd need to be decisive, burning much of his power to assure a quick win. Vendruck had a few seconds to say quick words before he leapt into battle.

"You want to talk your fool errand later, fine, slay the pathetic overlander and we'll talk."

Then Vendruck activated two devices, the first was a grappling hook and the second was a kind of contained explosion in a tube that could be used to propel someone or something quickly. His plan was to knock Arthak down into the pits where he had the advantage and the barbarian would be weaker. Vendruck had his great hammer, which while was purposed for crafting things could also cave a man's skull in. Dwarves had always favoured the larger heavier weapons, they suited their lower centre of gravity and their naturally dense structure.

Like a cannonball, Vendruck struck out using the grappling hook to guide him and the rocket to propel him.

Attacking!
Artificing [+2] for the grapple + rocket combo to get Arthak underground.
Dwarf [+4] combat is traditionally done with great hammers, axes and other two handed weapons because of their low gravity and tough strength. A hammer of which Vendruck posses...
Underground [+2] terrain is where Vendruck is stronger, and I expect, Arthak weaker.
AP [+6] because I want to kill this rear end in a top hat now, and PDQ combat favours quick overwhelming strikes that gut an enemy's chance to defend and strike back.
Total: +14

Defending!
Dwarf [+4] bodies are tough and resilient.
Underground [+2] terrain is no problem for Vendruck, and he can use it to avoid blows as well as stage surprise attacks from any direction.
Total: +6

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Vendruck

3/16 AP

THE EMBERS OF YOUR DIVINITY WILL FUEL THE FIRES OF MY CHILDREN'S SURVIVAL! Vendruck screamed at Arthak as he continued to beat on him, his mind focussed on murdering him and ending the danger to his children. This crime would never be forgotten or forgiven. Or permitted to occur again.

Attacking!
Dwarf [+4] combat is traditionally done with great hammers, axes and other two handed weapons because of their low gravity and tough strength. A hammer of which Vendruck posses...
Underground [+2] terrain is where Vendruck is stronger, and I expect, Arthak weaker.
AP [+3] because I want to kill this rear end in a top hat now, and PDQ combat favours quick overwhelming strikes that gut an enemy's chance to defend and strike back.
Freaking Out [+2] KILL KILL KILL!
Total: +11

Defending!
Underground [+2] terrain is no problem for Vendruck, and he can use it to avoid blows as well as stage surprise attacks from any direction.
Freaking Out [-2] KILL KILL KILL!
Total: +4

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Vendruck

0/16 AP

The walking rat calls me a god of vermin? My vengeance will not be denied! Vendruck yelled out of their pit at the Lorax and then collapsed the floor beneath him and Arthak, drawing them deeper underground for the time being. He pulled out a device from his belt and threw it up into the hole his impact from the city had made. It created a shimmering wall, easily broken through by a god, but giving him precious more time.

I would argue that since Arthak and Vendruck are in an undeground cavern system, and you are on the surface of the mountainside outside of the gates, that Bismark is not in a position to intercept any physical attacks made by Vendruck against Arthak. And if you can do it at range with divine powers, then by the same reasoning I should likewise be able to bypass your attempts at intercession.

Attacking!
Artifice [+2] created the barrier to delay and keep out Bismark.
Underground [+2] to draw Arthak deeper underground and away from Bismark.
AP [+3] because I want to kill this rear end in a top hat now, and PDQ combat favours quick overwhelming strikes that gut an enemy's chance to defend and strike back.
Total: +11

Defending!
Artifice [+2] created the barrier to delay and keep out Bismark.
Underground [+2] terrain is no problem for Vendruck, and he'll use it to keep Bismark away from them as well.
[/quote]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Vendruck

13 1/16 AP

NO. YOU WILL NOT HAVE HIM! Vendruck bellowed in his rage. HE CAME TO THE LAST PLACE OF MY PEOPLE, TAUNTED ME, SACRIFICED SOME OF MY CAPTIVE CHILDREN AND NOW TRIES TO BURN THE LAST DWARVES TO ASHES. I WILL NOT FORGIVE THIS. NOT ANYMORE. I WILL TURN NO CHEEK TO ANY GOD WHO STRIKES ME DOWN OR HUMILIATES ME. He screamed at not really anyone at particular and pulled out his explosives, casting them around him to the edges of the cave system as his grappling hook took him out of the way of the incoming cave-ins. He would be tired, he would be weak, but he needed to end this before any more of his people died. Before it was too late for the Dwarves...he drew upon their power, coming to them all like in a prayer. It was more of a feeling than an actual visitation, but for a moment all the Dwarves could feel and know what he felt was at stake and why he was taking some of the energy to help sustain him through this fight.

Refreshing my AP. Since I had 13000 people left I think I can get 13 AP, but let me know if this is wrong.

Attacking!
Area Attack on Arthak and Bismark!
I'm too tired to write full justifications right now. [+8] for my domains though. Basically, Dwarves good at underground and cave-ins, artificed explosives and undergound cave-ins.
AP [+8] because I want to kill this rear end in a top hat everyone now.
Grudgebearer [-4] Really ought to apply here given how I'm writing this.
Total: +16

Defending!
I'm too tired to write full justifications right now. [+8] for my domains again.
AP [+4] Because I want to not take a whole bunch of damage.
Grudgebearer [-4]

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 8, 2014

• Locked thread