Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Those look incredible.

I tried making sushi... came out alright for a first time and using a towel to roll. A bit too much rice. Left is roasted sweet potato with schichimi, right is cucumber/carrot/avocado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Wow, that's a really nice first batch!!
I do hope you used some plastic wrap with that towel when you made the inside out roll :-D

edit to add that the easiest way to roll sushi and avoid cleanup afterwards is getting a bamboo mat and placing it in a ziploc bag when you want to make sushi

paraquat fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 11, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

paraquat posted:

Made some of Fuchsia Dunlops Sichuanese wontons (from: Every Grain of Rice)

So I had to make some for my freezer first

and then some more for lunch!
Almost forgot to make a picture, so only half of them left in the pic....(made up the sauce myself with the stuff I had on hand and how I like it)

Nice way to spend part of a free day, imo...even though I lack a Chinese family or the proper friends to fully enjoy the process.

Can you explain how you make these? I'm tired of the standard triangle/bindles I always end up with but I can't find round wrappers at my local store.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Can you explain how you make these? I'm tired of the standard triangle/bindles I always end up with but I can't find round wrappers at my local store.

Yep, I used this to help me with the folding (scroll down and look at the pictures....it's not too difficult, took me two or three wontons to get the hang of the folding)
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/how-to-make-sichuan-wontons-in-chili-oil-dumpling.html

Btw, I used wonton wrappers, those are square like is shown in the pictures

round wrappers are gyoza wrappers, they're not really suitable to make this shape

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

paraquat posted:

Yep, I used this to help me with the folding (scroll down and look at the pictures....it's not too difficult, took me two or three wontons to get the hang of the folding)
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/how-to-make-sichuan-wontons-in-chili-oil-dumpling.html

Btw, I used wonton wrappers, those are square like is shown in the pictures

round wrappers are gyoza wrappers, they're not really suitable to make this shape

Right, I need square shapes with some variety since I don't have round! Thanks.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I did knockoff Japanese fast-food curry, breaded and fried my own chicken cutlets to go with. It's not exactly hard (curry blocks are practically cheating) but it pushes a very specific nostalgia/comfort-food button for me.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I lost 60 pounds on a ketogenic diet, then gained 20 of it back by living a little the last 4 months. 2017 is here and I'm back on the wagon. Everything you see here was cooked on good old fashioned cast iron. Sirloin and asparagus, what an awful combination :haw:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Farking Bastage posted:

I lost 60 pounds on a ketogenic diet, then gained 20 of it back by living a little the last 4 months. 2017 is here and I'm back on the wagon. Everything you see here was cooked on good old fashioned cast iron. Sirloin and asparagus, what an awful combination :haw:

Awful delicious. :grin:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Seared Halibut, Turmeric Potatoes, Rasam Broth

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I'd be all over that. Nothing like a good fish and chips ;). Details on the rasam broth?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Thoht posted:

I'd be all over that. Nothing like a good fish and chips ;). Details on the rasam broth?

Took it from the Nopi cookbook.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/recipes/ottolenghi-sea-bass-and-turmeric-potatoes-in-rasam-broth-1.2644211

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.

overdesigned posted:

It's not exactly hard (curry blocks are practically cheating) but it pushes a very specific nostalgia/comfort-food button for me.

Looks tasty! Love me some Japanese curry-from-a-box (Golden Curry) for the same reasons. Made some a few weeks after Thanksgiving using cubed turkey breast leftovers from the brined bird as an experiment. Worked quite well and filled my Japanese curry quota for a while.

Now I need to find time to blow up the kitchen with some tonkatsu followed by katsudon with the leftovers!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
It was nothing to look at, but tonight I shredded up some white cabbage and white onion and honeycrisp apple and cooked it in butter and white wine with some browned boars head kielbasa. Finished with parmesan and red pepper flakes and lots of black pepper.

So easy and good. Next time I might try it with a more tart apple. The honeycrisp was fine but it would have been nice to have more apple flavor since it went so well with the sausage.

I love cabbage.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is my first time making potato & pea sabzi, mixed in with basmati rice. It may not look like much but it tastes incredible. Next time I'll make it with chicken.

Here's the recipe if you want to make it too, with a better picture of what it looks like finished.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sweat poteto posted:

Nice one. Skillet pizza is my method now. If the pan is well seasoned you can use little or no oil and get a traditional base.

I still use olive oil anyway because pizza crust bottom fried in olive oil is awesome.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Finally got around to using the grits I got on a recent visit to my hometown. Made gouda grits, and on top is pan-fried flounder and corn. Seasonings include black pepper, cayenne, paprika, and adobo; corn is fried additionally with some garlic and chives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Oh... hey - new thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805594

• Locked thread