Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Cavenagh posted:

A Beef Cobbler.

wow...never even heard of that, it looks like something I definitely need to eat!
Any recipes/tips/instructions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Cavenagh posted:

Basically it's a rich stew with a dumpling top, in this case a beef, oyster and Guiness stew with horseradish scone dumplings. What I've found that it's best to make the scones thin as if they puff up too much, they can be dry. Plus they're best made with suet. Aside from that, use the scone/dumpling part as a means to add fresh herbs into the mix or other flavours. It's very adaptable and good for winter.

Thank you!!
will definitely be making that...
(I like the horseradish idea)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ypu can also do a Chicken version. We had a bunch of leftovers to go through, so my mom and I threw together some chicken, veg, mushrooms, cream, and chicken stock in a baking dish, then topped it with my favorite drop biscut recepie. It was delicious. Mild enough for mom, and i just threw on my own hot sauces on my own portions.

That sounds great as well, will definitely keep that in mind!
The beef version will come first though, I have an awesome islamitic butcher around the corner with beef that is excellent for stewing...not completely sure what it is they sell, but the beef from my supermarket takes at least 4.5 hours to get near the edible stage and theirs falls apart in 1.5 hours (and is way more delicious)
I am a fan of chicken and mushroms as well, so your version will be next, thanks!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Baked some pork loin, cooked some potatoes, added an apple to the apple jus the pork came from and made some red cabbage...from an actual red cabbage, not a jar...I think that's a first! (and it was a lot better than the jar stuff)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
one day I had babi kecap on rice

and the next day I had some (rather large) oysters with a grapefruit dressing as an appetizer

I forgot to photograph the fishes that came next..

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Bad lighting, great food ;-)

Steak with the sides wrapped in cured ham, underneath baked mushrooms and a port/honey sauce,
with potato gratin and cauliflower in a pumpkin puree

And the next day we had a brussel sprout mash with potatoes, bacon and cheese, with smoked sausage...and a beer

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Killed a pumpkin and had it as a soup with chicken stock, coconut milk, spanish peppers, red pepper flakes, lemongrass, ginger, onion, garlic and spring onion

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
First Christmas day we went to my bro for a family tapas dinner, no pictures taken.

Second Christmas day (wich is an official holiday over here) we didn't go out, I pictured some of the things eaten:

as a starter, we had smoked salmon (with a honey mustard dressing), eal and a quick pickle

then an duck breast salad (not pictured) sans salad, because we forgot to buy that...the duck tasted fine on its own though.

Followed by a frizzante with pear ice

And the entrez was a turkey thigh we deboned and filled with cheese and cranberries soaked in brandy, with a red wine sauce, green beans wrapped in pancetta and a rather tiny serving of broccoli

Finally we had a cheese platter, wich was not pictured due to too drunk.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

baw posted:

Sounds just crazy enough to work.

We have three Christmas days here and we only had to cook for one of them :cool:

It worked out great, although the cheese (a chaumes) was nowhere to be found after baking.

three Christmas days, wow

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Didn't feel like meat today, so I made a bowl of lentil "chili" and a small pull apart bread with cheese, spring onions and jalapenos.

no regrets

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

iajanus posted:

Love that bread, could I get the recipe, please?

I didn't make the bread myself, just used a small storebought Italian bun and did this to it: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cheesy_jalapeno_pull_bread/

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Tacier posted:

Baked apples stuffed with cranberries, pecans, cinnamon, brown sugar, butter, and oats. Pictured here while I was browning the tops and bottoms before tossing the whole thing in the oven for half an hour.

Looks like you've found the best use for apples!

I decided that it was time to make my own stock for the first time, so I put a gigantic tupperware box in my fridge and collected all vegetable cut-offs for a while, and luckily got to add two duck bones in the mix as well. When the box was full, it was time to do some stock making, I added another onion, a tablespoon of black peppercorns, two bayleafs and a bit of dried thyme to the pot and let the stuff simmer for about three hours. Used that time to wonder about the enormous amount of veggies I would normally have thrown out.
Anyway, the pot:

It tasted great, even though I found out that I use A LOT of spanish peppers...the stock almost burned a hole in my tongue. I think that there will be a lot of Thai soup in my future.
The tupperware box is in my fridge again, to collect new stuff for the next batch.

Then there were two days this weekend on which we had snails as an appetizer. We found out that my new grocery store sells little cans of snails, so that will be had often from now on.

And some chicken, baked sprouts in a red wine sauce/glaze and homemade fries....new stock bones, yay.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

FrancoFish posted:

Sage and smoked paprika porkchop stuffed with ricotta, spinach, prosciutto, and cranberries,white rice, portabella and onion wine reduction. Came out pretty good but the pork was a little drier than I would have liked.

That's beautiful...

I had a quick computer dinner last night, fried rice, quick pickled cucumber and a chicken thigh from the oven.
(made enough fried rice to last me six dinners apparently, so that means more computer/netflix time in my future)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
yep, I marinated it, then shoved it in the oven, skin side up, for 40 minutes on 180 Celcius, no movement, no effort.

today was another day at the computer:
quick summer rolls (because it's winter) with salad leaves, chicken filet, carrot, spring onions, pickled jalapenos, and enormous amount of ginger to clear the nostrils and soothe the throat, and because it tastes awesome.
All was had with a storebought thingy of satey sauce, because I felt particularly lazy today

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Had a stir fry with pork loin, egg noodles, ginger, onion, paprika, peanuts, spring onions and lao gan ma chili crisp, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and shoaxing wine

it was really nice, but a lot less hot than expected (I have a brand new jar of the lao gan ma, so I was experimenting: next up is lao gan ma black bean chili sauce, which I have to fetch tomorrow)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I made mapo tofu for the first time (first time I ate it as well)

incredible taste, way too hot, way too salty, but drat!!!....will definitely make again

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

EVG posted:

That was me! Serves me right for feeling like I had to clean out those old 'cooking' pictures from my Imgur gallery.

I can't edit the original thread to fix it, but some kind soul moved it to the GWS wiki, and the pictures are there!

http://goonswithspoons.com/Peanut-Butternut_Squash_Stew

That sounds absolutely delicious, will definitely make it soon .. #bookmarked

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Made a sloppy joe with an Italian roll and a (fake?) piece of cheddar,
so with all that authentic stuff going on, I figured I could throw some
lao gan ma crispy chilli into the filling as well, and I did.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Cavenagh posted:

Ma Po Tofu made with Red Cabbage and Green Beans and garnished with Deep Fried Shredded Red Cabbage.

want!

We started with artichoke (not pictured) and a dipping sauce (with mayo, capers, lemon juice, honey, salt, peper, wine),
and as a main we had lemon sole (with the leftover dipping sauce), pumpkin puree, asparagus, samphire and potato wedges.
I like weekends.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
had some pork in a char siu type marinade since last night, so I quickly baked some rice and made a satay sauce while the meat was in the oven.

and there it is: a telephone pic with flash.....hmmm

anyway, it was really nice stuff for a monday

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Casu Marzu posted:

Aha that makes a lot more sense.

Tried to class up some leftovers. Leftover 24hr sous vide chuck seared off again in a pan super quick, roasted brussels, and leftover cheesy mashed potato cakes with beer gravy

yep, fried rice (I knew something wasn't right)

anyway, now you made me hungry, that looks great

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Nelson Mandela posted:

I'll shank you.

You win

Now gimme that!!!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
wanted some gyoza with a cheese filling, so I grated two hard cheeses and a mozzarella, added some fresh ginger, spring onions and black pepper

after the gyoza where made and dumped into the fridge for later use, lots of filling was left (as always),
so I opened a pack of tortilla wraps, coated them with lao gan ma chili crisp aka angry lady sauce and added the leftover cheesemixture

leftovers are great!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

THE MACHO MAN posted:

This thread has tons of awesome posts over the last week, but I love this because I love getting every last bit out of a shopping trip, especially when it looks as good as all that...

Typing that made me feel old. 21 year old me would laugh.

Thanks!
With a one person household the largest part of the week, I found out too much is thrown away generally, so I try to make a point out of using as much as I can. It's not even that hard, really....the gyoza were nice, but not better than the leftover wraps above ;-)

anyway, today I ate some of the gyoza:

again, the cheesemixture for the filling: two grated hard cheeses and a grated mozzarella, added some fresh ginger, spring onions and black pepper

a one meal batch

baked and steamed and baked....with a dipping sauce of black rice vinegar, soy sauce and lao gan ma crispy chili

the first bite!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

sharkattack posted:

beef and guinness hand pies that I wish I didn't already eat all of...

wow...a perfect reason to celebrate St Patrick's day!
Thanks for the recipe (and the great pics, as always)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
weekend dinner:
lambsrack (because it's almost Easter, I guess), green asparagus tips, sugarsnaps and potato gratin.

We ate extremely early, and ended up going to the snackbar for some fries with satesaus and a frikandel speciaal:
not my picture, but it looked pretty similar:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
yeah, I only read about korean fried chicken so far...it looks delicious

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
a great day to eat some more vegetables, so I made a spinach salad;

spinach, soy beans, carrots, onion, spanish pepper, bacon and pine nuts
with a dressing made from coconutmilk, orange zest, lime juice, chili sauce, grated ginger and some salt

it was really nice, but I'm going to leave out the bacon next time,
the dressing is a winner, although not the most appetizing thing to look at.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

PiratePing posted:

Is that sweet chili sauce or sambal? Because I have pretty much all that and I want that salad.

Made pho at some point but didn't take a pic, made sweet omelette spring rolls for lunch from the leftovers.

It was sweet chili sauce, the tiny bit of heat came from the spanish peppers in the salad.
(btw, I think I used about 1-2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce to 100 mL of coconutmilk)

Your addition of omelet to the summer rolls is something that never even occured to me, will definitely be copied. Thanks!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
^^ niiiice ^^

We had some grey shrimp yesterday

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
lambchops and lamb tenderloin with couscous, delicious

the mackaerel was really nice as well, but probably would've looked better plated

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Wow, that looks really good. Do you have more exact measurements on that dressing?

Yes, I used about 100 mL coconutmilk, 1-2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce, 2 tablespoons of limejuice, orangezest (because I had an orange laying around, but you can use limezest just as well), fresh grated ginger and a bit of salt.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
first time tteokbokki (simple version), I love the new taste and especially the new texture,
going to use the remainder of the tteok to make it with mapo tofu sauce

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
we had an ehm..."Meal of Things",

inari and edamame, small meatballs in satay sauce, tuna salad, blue cheese and bread

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

PiratePing posted:

Puda:

I usually make them with grated ginger, scallions, turmeric plus whatever catches my eye. Bolded part because seriously, a LOT of oil.

Thanks for linking Dino's puda recipe, i gave it a try!
also with turmeric, scalions, ginger (and some chili powder, salt and LOTS of oil)

made mine too thick, which made folding no longer an option, so I will thin it down a bit more next time.
but it was delicious!

ate it with truffel(oil)-hummus, and roasted eggplant/red onions/red pepper and sun dried tomatoes on top

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Went to Belgium (Antwerp), had some fries...with mayo

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
yeah, I know...my partner asked me why I was eating "around the mayo" :-/
so I pointed out the fact that the fries I ate HAD (a lot of) mayo, I just wasn't willing to eat the ones that couldn't be recognized as fries anymore.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I dunno, the sausage looks like the size of my forearm. Look at the fork stuck in it! And the fries look as big around as my thumbs. Then there's the pint of mayonnaise on top.

The sausage was a "sitostick": cubes of turkeymeat and onion, in a batter, fried.
It wasn't that big, and the fries were a normal size (the portion was a "small" one, but I'd say it was regular size for one person)

Didn't finish the fries, not because the amount was too much, but because my stomach can only handle so much fried food and sauce.

anyway, the saddest thing was that I went to Belgium but somehow didn't eat shrimp croquettes
I did have a great horse steak, though!
and beer, lots of beer...

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

PiratePing posted:

Awesome! A bit more water does look like a good idea but don't worry about the foldability. You'll only have earned the privilege of making it half-way through before it all falls apart. They're pretty poo poo wraps basically, I'm just glad I live alone so no one was there to see me eating like a hot sauce covered toddler.

I considered the experiment a success because it was delicious but uhh... V:shobon:V

That's good to know, thanks!
In that case my future puda's will be cute small rounds/pancakes instead of trying to fold one over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Laminator posted:

everyone needs to behold this amazing mint chocolate chip espresso cake my fiancee made for my birthday

she even used some of my home-made creme de menthe in the frosting! she's the best :)

That's........as festive as it can be,
and now I wish i could get a piece as well!
happy Birthday, btw ;-)

I had a salad of spinach, medjool dates, red onion, almonds, red pepper flakes, sumac, balsamic vinegar, evoo and salt
with baked potatoes covered in sesame seeds

it was great, but it wasn't a birthday cake.

• Locked thread