Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

wheez the roux posted:

hasselback gratin like everyone else this year. in addition to the gruyere i subbed incanestrato for parm regg, it was fantastic. i ran out of russets because I severely underestimated how much I'd need so half of one row was yukon gold. totally different texture but I almost preferred them, they did a lot better job holding onto the sauce when stacking them somehow. next time I should try to really dry the russet slices and see if I can't get them to retain more in each crack.

I tried doing this last year but the cheese and cream sauce broke and the potatos undercooked and it wasn't great... What did I do wrong?

e: phonepost

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

wheez the roux posted:

you wrote your question inside my quote; it took me a minute to figure out you weren't just empty quoting me :v: anyway I'm really not sure since I haven't had that problem. are you sure you followed all the steps correctly, whisked it together extremely thoroughly, had the right measurements, etc? did you try to sub a different kind of cheese? if you don't have a good creamy cheese or if you're using lower fat cream if might not work properly, maybe it cooked too hot or there was something acidic? just for clarification, when you say it broke, do you mean the grease separated and floated on top and it got grainy? it's a cheesy cream sauce, it should be almost infinitely forgiving so i can't really imagine how that would happen. I'm sure someone else here can venture a better guess than me

Ha. Phone posting and missed that.

Yeah, the sauce separated out and got weird. I don't know what I may have done, I followed the SE recipe as close as I could. It was a year ago and i thought that maybe thats just The Way It Is Supposed To Be. I am willing to try it again though because it should be delicious. I used parmesiano reggiano cheese, heavy cream, all the good stuff. I wonder if doing it in the thin aluminum service pans could have ruined it :shrug:

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Pigs feet in aspic for christmas eve dinner. My aunt used to make this every year for christmas, but she passed away last year. So my mom is teaching me how to make it for the family. Fantastic stuff, I hope it sets up nicely.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Made some catfish en papillote for the first time on the suggestions of the quick recipe request thread and it was amazing.

Onions, mushrooms, green peppers, lemon slices, topped with garlic and shallots and white wine. Will do this again for sure. I think id love it with some fennel instead of onion.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Stringent posted:

I like to make a Japanese style risotto where I swap sake for wine and use dashi for the stock. It's quite good.

poo poo, this is such a good idea, thanks.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Casu Marzu posted:

pajeon drunk snack

weisswurst and ultra crispy taters and roasted carrots

monte cristo madam with rye bread

Holy poo poo
:fap:

Did you put pastrami in the monte cristo or ham?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Cavenagh posted:

Mardis Gras / Shrove Tuesday meal of mashing together different cultures. So a New Orleans Seafood Gumbo with Spring Onion Pancakes come together to make Seafood Crepes.

Can you share your gumbo recipe? I'm fixin' to make some myself and don't know where to start

• Locked thread