Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Yeah I agree that sounds awesome. I'm still mad it's such a project to find affordable oxtails here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Virtually everything on this list has been on my mind lately to either cook or eat. Goddamn.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Casu Marzu posted:

pajeon drunk snack

weisswurst and ultra crispy taters and roasted carrots

monte cristo madam with rye bread

Them some good pics.

There's a similar Japanese dish like pajeon right? God a recipe for yours, as well as whatever sauce you might dip with it?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah, okonomiyaki is kinda similar.

I dont really use a recipe anymore, just dump stuff together until the consistency is correct. It's probably pretty close to Maangchi's recipe though. http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/pajeon

Chicken and andouille jambalaya for Fat Tuesday

Meatballs in red sauce tonight

Yeah I usually wing things too, but I've never actually had any these types of pancakes so I wanted a decent baseline, thanks. I'm pretty sure I've got a similar recipe from Cooking with Dog booked somewhere too. Any other sauce recommendations besides the hot sauce in there?

That gumbo is awesome

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Nelson Mandela posted:

I'll shank you.

gently caress yeah I want that in my face right now

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

paraquat posted:

wanted some gyoza with a cheese filling, so I grated two hard cheeses and a mozzarella, added some fresh ginger, spring onions and black pepper

after the gyoza where made and dumped into the fridge for later use, lots of filling was left (as always),
so I opened a pack of tortilla wraps, coated them with lao gan ma chili crisp aka angry lady sauce and added the leftover cheesemixture

leftovers are great!

This thread has tons of awesome posts over the last week, but I love this because I love getting every last bit out of a shopping trip, especially when it looks as good as all that...

Typing that made me feel old. 21 year old me would laugh.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Elderbean posted:

Tried making Pelmeni for the first time, with sour cream and vinegar. Pretty tasty, although the dough was a bit thick. My apartment smells wonderful though.

Nice! I've never actually heard the name before. I just always assumed they were just thin pierogis. But unless you're at a Ukrianian place pierogi is used interchanbably for all three dumplings here usually.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

goddamn that really put me in the mood for bok choy now. Never had that fried chicken but it looks wonderful as well

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

A good post.

I'm actually making asparagus soup tomorrow. My girlfriend turned me onto to it, she's under the weather, and requested it. Would love another recipe to try it a different way since I just kind of winged it

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Admiral Bosch posted:

Cheapo Chicken Marsala, mushrooms cooked in the sauce. The side is boil in a bag rice and green beans. I thought it turned out pretty good.

Brown your chicken more!! It's the best part!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Admiral Bosch posted:

I have a couple more chicken breasts so I'll be making it again later this week. Advice duly noted, thanks!

GWS wiki can be hit or miss, but this is a rock solid recipe that I use in my regular food rotation. This is pretty much the perfect way to make a pan sauce

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chicken_Marsala

drat now I want some haha

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Yeah I gotta try guanciale in carb. Those pics look great.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Them some good burgs

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Casu Marzu posted:

Yep, I did a chocolate oatmeal stout and a big scoop of vanilla

Hah, my thought was that better be one of those sweeter stouts. I need to try this stat

e: I kind of really want a 'dilla for dinner now.

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 14, 2015

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

That's some drat fine looking chicken

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Nhilist posted:

Grilled Baby back ribs this afternoon. Did something different today, no sauce, just a light splashing of homemade pepper sauce (tabasco peppers and distilled vinegar) and that was it. Combined with the dry rub, I may not do barbecue sauce again for awhile.

I love dry rub over bbq most times but I had a totally opposite epiphany. A couple weeks ago we had a poker day and busted out a few smokers and did ribs. My friend make a loving killer bbq sauce that kind of converted me.

Them look like good ribs though!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

emotive posted:

Crispy pan seared salmon and a mango/avocado salsa.

yes

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Nhilist posted:

Fry some oysters

Add eggs, bacon and scallions

Let it sit for just a moment

Add some hot sauce..

And now you are doing the hangtown fry.

yooooo

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Cast iron is dope for that bootleg bar pie with a tortilla. I've also had good deep dish pies in it (and some bad ones too). I've seen people make their pies by flipping their cast iron for some reason. At that point it's better to just get a stone or steel.

I had a stone for a while and my gf got me a steel last year. It's definitely way better. Keeps temp better, gets a better crust (I assume to getting hotter and keeping heat better). It's also way more durable. I some how exploded two of my stones. I'd have to try really hard to do that to the steel, and I'd die an honorable death if I did.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Butterflying the chicken or lowering the heat will let you get good color without having it taste like hay. I saw you're in Japan. Is fresh parsley/cilantro that expensive? Because it also appears in a lot of stuff so if you're cooking fairly regularly it will rarely go to waste. Even on a rice and beans budget diet, it's a huge part of those dishes, and you will really notice the difference vs dried. If it's a money thing, if you've got a tiny bit of space with ample light you can definitely just get seeds.

also yeah, while the GWS wiki has a lot of cool stuff, there's definitely odd or straight up bad recipes occasionally. Back when I didn't know better, I made a pad thai recipe with like 12 tablespoons of brown sugar or something totally insane.

Some are just non traditional, which is basically what yours was, some Americanized alfredo/carbonara mash up, but unless you cook enough to realize that, you wouldn't know that. I like that and other different takes on traditional stuff a lot actually, but most people think carbonara as something more traditional like this http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spaghetti_alla_carbonara which is why the wiki can sometimes be unreliable

ColHannibal posted:

Steak au Poivre

:swoon:

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 12, 2015

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Nhilist posted:

Oyster Po' Boys with stone ground mustard caper remoulade, it's wierd, I lose weight all week yet come Monday I weigh the same, frlipping scales are broke again.

niceeee po boys.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

gently caress yeah I do something similar and I love that dish.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

red beans and rice forever yo.

franco posted:

Hah aye you went a lot chunkier than I did. Mainly because I had just gone from this old hunk'o'junk VVV

to this shiny new hotness ^^^

First time I've owned an actual decent quality stick and the difference is insane. So here's mine which I took to "ludicrously smooth" consistency:

ogopogo posted:

Egg and pancetta on sourdough.

holy fuckin moley I need those now

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 10, 2016

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I am so jealous of you. Fantastic looking pizzas.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

That's a fine looking burg man

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

http://zserbo.com/soups/the-great-tale-tellers-favorite-soup/

this came out really good. I made a lot more than what the recipe called for, so I will probably add some beans tomorrow. Otherwise it was really good. I kept it pretty close to the recipe, but I made a full on stock with the smoked pork knuckle, and added a little white pepper and caraway seed, and some green pepper

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

that all looks awesome. I actually just did a similar salad - cucumber, tomato, red onion, mint, feta, pear vinegar, and a few olives with some nicely done chicken. Just a really nice, light flavor for warmer weather.

That bread looks fan-loving-tastic

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

MrSlam posted:

I really want to make this sometime. It looks difficult, if only because all eggs hate me.

it's stupidly easy and changes your life - do it!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Xoidanor posted:

Old but I'm lazy as hell, did some cooking for Easter this year.

Entrée: Swedish Kalix roe with gravlax, sweet cured salmon, lemon-soured whipped cream, chives, crushed salted potato chips and finely diced red onion.

Main dish: Traditional Swedish Salmon Pudding (same sweet cured salmon as above) with chives and dill.

this looks rad. What the hell is in a salmon pudding??

also that Shakshukah looks good, nice job! I just add the eggs for no more than like 2-3 minutes at the very end, only as many as you'll be eating in that sitting.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

that whole thing looks dope, but especially that corn bread.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

blixa posted:

I tried shakshuka for the first time. Girlfriend is anti-red or orange pepper due to a recent bad experience, so I went with the budget bytes recipe that omits peppers and adds cannelini beans. Served with freshly baked ciabatta.

So. drat. Tasty.

nice!!

I was itching for some chicken marsala. Such a good, simple dish. Should have charred my cauliflower about 10 minutes more though.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

that is creepy, hahaha.

You found non-wimpy asparagus though!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

yeah them green beans look crazy good

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

yeah I make it with everything but egg. Light on cheese too, since I like to throw that at the end.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

dijon du jour posted:

I made stuffed cabbage! This isn't my first time making the dish, but it IS the first time 90% of the leaves didn't get ripped to hell!

I accidentally simmered it on too high a heat so a regrettable amount of the sauce ended up burned on the bottom of the pot. The cabbage rolls themselves escaped unscathed, thank god.

(Sorry about the filthy presentation. They were so delicious I forgot to take a picture until they were almost all eaten)

Looks good

re: sauce, chop up some leftover cabbage and throw it on the bottom of your pot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Doom Rooster posted:

Made a big bowl of red beans and rice with andouille on top.

hot drat.

• Locked thread