Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

beerinator posted:

My two patty smash burger didn't get as smashed as I wanted, but it was still an incredible burger.

I cook a lot of burgers, rarely the smash variety. Main flaw with this run was not greasing up my metal spatula.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html

Here is a pretty great article for smashed burgers. I love serious eats so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

guppy posted:

They are less interested in helping you be Chef Boyardee.

drat dude you made me wake up my sick gf with laughter.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Yes! All foods (other than one distinct thing by itself, eg. an apple or a steak) fall into the following five categories:
  • Sandwich - Anything on or in any kind of bread (eg. pizza, burrito)
  • Pie - Anything on or in any kind of pastry (eg. pasty, tart)
  • Soup - Any liquid that could be served in a bowl (if it's always served in a glass or mug then it's a drink)
  • Stew - Any cooked up mixture of foods (eg. curry, spaghetti bolognese, stir fry)
  • Cake - Any mixture of foods that becomes a solid item (eg. omelette, slice)

Soup, stew and cake are basically differentiated by how liquidy they are and how much they hold together, so whether something like pasta bake or lasagne is a stew or cake might be a bit debatable, depending on how well they hold together, and a particularly liquidy stew might almost be a soup, but if you serve it on a plate instead of a bowl then it's definitely a stew. :eng101:

Where do chili cheese fries fall into this.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

overdesigned posted:

I'd put them in the "stew" category.

Seems like it needs 1 more category.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Axikal posted:

gently caress yes. Nothing beats a good filet.

A nice aged Prime Rib cooked rare-medium rare :smug:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Axikal posted:

-cries- But in seriousness, I'm seeing some awesome eats and recipes here. Kinda eager to learn new cooking ideas/techniques.

I made something that reminded me of you and thought you would want to try it out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676982&pagenumber=24#post441413785

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Crossposting from th[ general thread.

Broke down my first chicken today, how do you guys think I did? Overall it was not too hard though I had a little trouble extracting the breasts. Once I really felt what the joint felt like at the thighs and wings it was pretty easy to cut them.

Obligatory small slice on my finger from flicking the new chef's knife :/

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Jyrraeth posted:

You did way better than I did, the first time I broke down a chicken. Hope you washed your cut really well. :ohdear:

What do you mean washed the cut? Now I'm s scared :ohdear:

Like run some water on the chicken and clean the knife after I'm done?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Axikal posted:

Didn't you mention accidentally cutting yourself on your new knife?

Oh dur, yeah I did! I thought you meant the cut of chicken haha.

The injury was a good lesson to learn. This is the first knife I have ever owned that was actually sharp.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

The table that food is on is HUGE.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

squirrelzipper posted:

If you mean mine yeah, it's our new 9'x4' harvest kinda table. It's pretty big.

e: oh yeah. wine's better than i thought

:D Your steak looks delicious though! I'll have to see if I can find some of that wine if it is that good.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Fried my first chicken in a cast iron! Mixed some flour with garlic powder, white/black pepper, cayenne pepper and dipped flour-egg-flour. Ended up buffaloing some in franks hot, Serrano pepper, a little ghost chili oil, and balsamic vinegar.

goodness fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 18, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Hey goodness, your pictures are huge.

In the url, in front of the .jpg, put a lower case L, so that you get i.imgur.com/XxDhqCEl.jpg. It will show a more manageable sized version of you photo.

Made lomo saltado. Far be it from me to tell the Peruvian people their dish sounds kinda stupid, but mixing french fries in sounds stupid, so I put potato wedges on the side.

edit: also if you happen to have a wok and a super hot burner, you might try doing this. It was invented by Chinese immigrants in Peru and would really lend itself well to a good wok stir-fry

Thanks for the heads up. It was a good size on my phone and computer screen, weird.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

I cornbreaded. Cast iron on a black stove photographs poorly.

Now that I have a cast iron, how do I do this :swoon:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

ColHannibal posted:

Oh hey! I made Pad thai also, but I made the food and wine version. My grocery store apparently had a run on bean sprouts so I did not have any, but some fresh red Jalapenos really kicked it up as I also was without thai chilis.

Does Tamarind really dye the noodles red? I never get my Pad Thai as red as any Thai place I have been to and I assume it has to do with using vinegar as opposed to Tamarind paste.

Paprika for the red!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

every drat day

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Made a blue/blackberry crumble . Unfortunately forgot the lemon zest :smith:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

Salsa is so drat delicious and easy to make, I can't believe I just now got around to it. I forgot to buy chips at the store, so this batch is lasting me longer than normal.

What was your recipe?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

m

Filosofem posted:

I said, 'cheeseburger' because it's those crappy (yet awesome) processed cheese slices that probably contain about as much cheese as a grain of rice. I said 'salad' because it's nothing more than some spinach leaves, rocket leaves, a tiny bit of red pepper and cucumber. I'm not sure what the definition of salad is but there's pretty much nothing too mine so I used the term loosely.

Thanks for the positive comments, gives me a little bit more confidence in the kitchen.

What you made was a cheeseburger and salad by the majority of Americans everyone. If you had made some sort of high tech deconstructed burger then you could call it a "cheeseburger"

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

I'm Canadian. I took it to mean a wedding rehearsal where they even rehearse the cake cutting part 'just to make sure' they cut it right on the day of. If its a cake to thank the people for attending a wedding rehearsal that makes more sense.

:911:

• Locked thread