Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Third annual Hobbit party

Afternoon tea - scones with jam and seedcake, mostly already devoured. Dinner - Roast duck, cheeses and breads, pork and mushroom pie, eggs in baked celeriac, salad, apple tart.

For the road.

Bo kho - Vietnamese beef and carrot stew with Vietnamese style baguette

Also made a basic sourdough boule while the oven was on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Le0, generally something like Emmental.

ColHannibal , a lot of restaurant pad thai is an Americanized overly sweet version and uses ketchup and/or sweet chili sauce. It's never red when I make it at home with tamarind/fish sauce/palm sugar/dried shrimp/etc.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
It's not just that natural cocoa powder is lighter than Dutch processed. The original red for red velvet cakes comes from the reaction of natural cocoa powder to the acidity of the batter (e.g. from buttermilk) which results in a reddish hue. It's the same compound found in red cabbage that makes it red in acidic conditions and blue in basic conditions.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
The butter, flour, and egg yolk are slightly acidic. I would guess if the entire mixture is even just slightly acidic, then the batter may not be very red by that reaction alone, but enough so that your food coloring comes through.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Made this croquembouche for a wedding, was a fun project! I want to make more of these now.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Breath Ray posted:

Yes you can pull off the crackling. Personally I'm afraid of getting shards in between my teeth. Is the sushi bowl the crockery or is there actual fish in there?

The primary ingredient of sushi is the seasoned rice (vinegar, kombu, salt, sugar), not the fish.

PiratePing posted:

It's what I call putting all the ingredients for sushi in a bowl because I can't be bothered to do the rolling. Pretend I made rolls with a side of edamame :v:

You can also call it chirashi. :)

mich
Feb 28, 2003
One of my favorite Thai dishes, kao ka moo. Braised pork in soy sauce, oyster sauce, and spices. And plenty of chile vinegar to top.

Shakshuka, labneh, cucumber/tomato/radish salad.

Made Korean bbq for the weekly Sunday Supper I host. Galbi, bulgogi, pork belly, spicy pork bulgogi. Didn't get a picture of the full spread but had the leftovers for lunch. With napa cabbage kimchi, kale kimchi, and radish kimchi. I am already tearing through the radish kimchi too fast, shoulda made more.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

prinneh posted:

Could you pm the link to your food blog, that looks amazing!

Thanks! Sadly I don't have a blog, I just like to take food pictures when I remember to!

The kao ka moo is similar to this but I used pork butt instead of shank (which is more traditional). I also used oyster sauce not Golden mountain sauce and I used some honey too. http://importfood.com/recipes/khaokhamoo.html

The shakshuka is from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem: http://food52.com/recipes/20281-tomato-y-yogurt-y-shakshuka

Labneh is just yogurt mixed with some salt and strained in a mesh strainer for over 24 hours until it becomes something like cream cheese consistency, serve with olive oil and spices.

All your Korean cooking desires can be found at Maangchi: http://www.maangchi.com

mich
Feb 28, 2003
A friend and I made a cake for a rehearsal dinner. It is vanilla yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

guppy posted:

This is beautiful, are you a professional?

Olpainless posted:

That's absolutely beautiful. Are you making the cake for the married couple-to-be?

Thanks! Nah, not a pro, just like to bake. And no, the groom's mother commissioned us to do the rehearsal dinner cake. We did make a wedding cake for a friend last month.

Today we put together this for a weekly Sunday Supper I host with friends!

mich
Feb 28, 2003

I am so happy whenever I am reminded of this video.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Daang battlemonk, that's awesome.

casu took this pic of some stuff I made with help from icehook, ricola, and bombhand: Nashville hot chicken, buttermilk biscuits, slaw.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Unnf I love that recipe, I think I know what's going on the dinner menu next week.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I think it may depend on your stove too. I have a crappy electric stove and my cast iron pan always browns food better than my stainless steel pans, and I have nice All Clad pans. I recently did some pan roasted chicken thighs that I didn't want to cook in two batches so I cooked half in my cast iron and half in my stainless steel pan and the cast iron ones turned out much better with browner and crisper skin.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
For a Jurassic Park themed Halloween, friends made goat curry and a salad with goat cheese ("he's gonna eat the goat?!!?"), and cute dinosaur egg rice krispy treats. In Halloween spirit, I made many other sweets with orange flavored "amber candy", cherry pie, and mojito jello.

“Alejandro’s prepared a delightful meal for us. Chilean sea bass, I believe." - Then I made this fish dish based off a screenshot and it turned out way better than I thought it would.

Pan fried sea bass (New Zealand, from Whole Foods, so no worries, I did not purchase unethically sourced Patagonian toothfish), green beans, and tomatoes with a light chicken based broth flavored with ginger, lemon juice, habanero, fish sauce, cilantro, and green onion. Topped with fried sweet potatoes. It was pretty simple to make (I cooked it at like 11 while tipsy) and turned out really well and way better than I thought it would but then I realized the fish was seasoned a bit like Vietnamese steamed fish which I love so it wasn't as pulled out of my rear end as I thought it was at the time.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I looove Hainanese chicken rice and all its variants.

This is one of the Thai dipping sauces for it that I really love:
1/3 cup of roughly chopped fresh ginger
4 medium cloves garlic peeled
5-8 bird’s eye chillies
1/2 cup fermented soybean sauce (looks like this)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark sweet soy sauce
1/4 thin soy sauce
1/3 cup white vinegar (not rice — oh gawd, not rice vinegar)

Pulse everything into a coarse puree in a food processor
Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil for 30-40 seconds

Simple Vietnamese sauce:
Lime juice, salt and pepper

Vietnamese ginger lime sauce:
3-4 Tb minced ginger
4-5 Tb fresh lime juice
2-2.5 Tb sugar
2-3 Tb fish sauce

Singapore sauce:
2 or 3 large red chiles, such as Fresno or cayenne, coarsely chopped
2 or 3 hot Thai chiles, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon hot chicken poaching broth

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Man, we really do need someone to step up with a Southern food thread because everyone just thinks it's all fried, drowned in butter, and full of sugar, but there's a lot more to it than that!

Not it. >_>

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Jamsta posted:

Went with this one, but with diced chicken breast.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/nashville-style-hot-chicken

This recipe is too much brown sugar and too much oil in the spice paste, the spice paste shouldn't drip and pool off the chicken that much, though that may also be because using diced chicken breast made the breading a little too thin to cling onto the spice paste. It also needs black pepper. I also like a lot more seasoning in the chicken and dredge itself.

Brine for fried chicken (at least 4 hour brine):
1 egg beaten
1 cup buttermilk
20 g - 40g salt (~1.5-2.5 Tablespoon coarse salt / 1-2 Tb fine salt - use less for overnight brine, more for shorter brine)
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp sharp paprika (or half sweet half sharp)
1 tsp garlic powder (some mashed up garlic cloves works too)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried sage
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or more depending on spice level desired
Adding some hot sauce that you like here would be good too

Dredge:
260 grams / 2 cups flour
10 g salt (~2 tsp coarse salt / 1.5 tsp fine salt)
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 Tb black pepper
1.5 Tb sharp paprika (or half sweet half sharp)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried sage
1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne

Spice mix for Nashville hot (this amount is about medium level or so for a whole chicken, can potentially double this or more):
1/4 cup cayenne pepper
1 Tb black pepper
1/2 tsp fine salt
2 tsp Sharp paprika
1 tsp smoked or sweet paprika (or both!)
1-2 tsp of whatever other pepper powder you like: more cayenne if you don’t have anything, I love Aleppo pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Ladle in and whisk just enough of the hot frying oil to form a paste. It should be just thin enough to coat the chicken without the spices clumping on it but not so thin that the spices are too dilute.

Also gotta serve it on soft white bread to absorb any extra hot grease that does drip off.

Here's some I've made though I deviated by serving with biscuit instead of said white bread.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

2.) Forgot to add chopsticks to the presentation.

Hey, maybe don't feel like this is a thing you should have done. Do you need to include a fork if you're presenting a plate of pasta? Asian food can stand for itself without adding exoticizing props.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I explained what my problem is. Asian food doesn't need to be exoticized with props. The food can stand alone by itself without you adding things to the picture to emphasize "HEY LOOK THIS IS ASIAN." It's something that happens with photography of Asian food a lot. Some Asian cultures don't even use chopsticks! Adding utensils to a picture of food can play a role if the purpose is in the composition of the photo. Adding it as a prop to make the food more "authentic" is problematic. Plus, it looks like you squirt sriracha all over a bowl of Chinese noodles, how "authentic" is that?

I know it seems like not a very big deal but it's all part of a bigger picture of "othering" Asian culture.

If you don't realize how prevalent it is, look at the google image search results for "spaghetti":
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...504.IzGPyeqFaBQ

Now look at pho:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...318.zgcvDCEa4Fo

mich
Feb 28, 2003
White fragility is really cool.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Theophany, you came in saying "gently caress off" right off the bat, I did not see your reply as an invitation to have a serious discussion.

I will not gently caress off pointing out how ridiculous it is to photograph Asian food with chopsticks merely to add to its "authenticity."

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I roll my eyes and think "man, white people."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003

I mean, you can see the sauce smears on the side of the bowl in this pic too, but please, let's worry about the chopsticks for the presentation.

• Locked thread