Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Veritek83 posted:

I decided to go meatless for January, simply to lower my sheer caloric intake post-holidays, and I really should have just resolved not to read this thread. Between chili, wings, and prosciutto-wrapped chicken, I'm being sorely tested right now.

Probably not a good time for me to decide to do my first post-Christmas-presents (Anova and Searzall) steak dinner then, either. But I did!

Strip steak @ 135F for about 90 minutes, herb roasted taters, green beans with lemon butter and cayenne.

My phone takes surprisingly not-exceptionally-lovely pictures. Also of all the things to burn myself on, what with the blowtorching, I burned my finger on the oven while extracting the potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I just did a variant of my usual lazy linguine-with-clams-and-cream-sauce, and added in some broccoli florets than I browned in a really hot pan with some olive oil. It helped cut the richness of the cream sauce down a bit and also added some nice green flavor and I liked it a lot. That is today's cooking story.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

goodness posted:

Where do chili cheese fries fall into this.

I'd put them in the "stew" category.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I made chicken piccatta. Rice could have been a little more exciting, I just got lazy.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
You can come over to my place and jerk it whenever you want, that looks fantastic.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I did an attempt at blackened tilapia (tasty, kinda ugly) and panzanella (tasty, less ugly, made way too much) over the last couple days.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, cast iron on the grill, why have I never even thought of that?

I wish my apartment complex let me use my grill :(

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My girlfriend and I made steaks a while back and they were the best steaks we've ever made:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
We used a hot cast iron (on our electric range, we started at max heat, then throttled back to like 80% after a couple minutes to prevent burning the oil) and several tablespoons of oil, flipping it about every 30 seconds. For the last couple minutes of cooking we tossed in a couple tbsp of butter and some shallots and basted, still flipping every 30sec or so. It worked out really, really well, easily the best, most even crust we've ever gotten.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 7, 2015

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
:iiam: it worked for us--total cooking time was about what you'd expect from a 1.5-ish-inch-thick steak coming up from refrigerated. It did end up in the low side of medium (definitely above a medium-rare if that's your thing) but it was so tasty I didn't care. (I do favor the more medium side of that spectrum, so...) We could have taken it out of the pan sooner without much loss in crust; the bulk of it builds early on with the flipping.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I made a couple hundred potstickers today, because I needed a project.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hard to follow up an ICSA entry, (drat dude that looks awesome) but chickens were on sale for $1/lb, so I fried a chicken:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

I got a pasta roller/cutter for christmas so now I am deep in the throes of a "make pasta for dinner every night" binge.

I also got a salami for christmas so I put crispy salami shards in this plate.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

~my fiance~ and I made mapo tofu and it was amazing. A+ would make again.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
We've been roasting whole fish lately which is great, but I did a side of charred green beans with a little leek, harissa, and garlic, and it was awesome. Put harissa on your green beans. Shamefully I did not photograph them.

I did 1lb beans, the light portions of 1 leek, sliced thin, a clove or two of garlic, and about a tablespoon of harissa. Char/blister the beans in a pan, then cook off the leeks/garlic with more oil, add beans back in, add harissa, a little water to loosen things up, and cook until the beans are just soft. It's Good.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Our CSA box gave us collard greens, so we went Full Southern last night.

Cornbread was a little light maybe, but still tasted good.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Last night we made macarons and I'm really happy with how they came out.

Also I am a child.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, reverse sear is "cook slowly to core temp, then blast that sucker under a broiler."

or a pan, whatever

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of meat, I found a big ribeye at the base commissary today and splurged. Side dishes are overrated/shallots are a vegetable, right?

I also cracked my cast iron, which is a thing that can happen? I guess I heated it up too fast. Had to do this one on my stainless pan.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 10, 2016

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I did sous-vide beef shortrib!

and I have leftovers for daaaaaays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I did knockoff Japanese fast-food curry, breaded and fried my own chicken cutlets to go with. It's not exactly hard (curry blocks are practically cheating) but it pushes a very specific nostalgia/comfort-food button for me.

• Locked thread