Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

sharkattack posted:

moroccan lamb lasagna with feta béchamel

this is Extremely My poo poo. i know what i'm making over christmas break.

here's a few thanksgiving photos, not great pics since I was doing 90% of the cooking and the immediate family was all packed into my tiny apartment for the sake of convenience (big football game that saturday)

basic sage + sausage dressing. sausage was a mix of pork along with some moose and caribou my sister shot a couple weeks ago. the game flavors did a really nice job of balancing the "normal" flavor dressing.

hasselback gratin like everyone else this year. in addition to the gruyere i subbed incanestrato for parm regg, it was fantastic. i ran out of russets because I severely underestimated how much I'd need so half of one row was yukon gold. totally different texture but I almost preferred them, they did a lot better job holding onto the sauce when stacking them somehow. next time I should try to really dry the russet slices and see if I can't get them to retain more in each crack.

spatchcocked turkey. turned out perfect and juicy (came from a trusted source so i only cooked it to a breast temp of 140º :ssh: compound butter of garlic, scallions, and thyme under the skin

gravy with the turkey drippings

and here's a pumpkin pie. same one I made for thanksgiving but this was yesterday for a date. final presentation had it topped with whipped cream, a bourbon caramel sauce, and chopped candied pecans. my lighting is poo poo but the crust is browned and not anywhere near as black as it looks on the edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

you wrote your question inside my quote; it took me a minute to figure out you weren't just empty quoting me :v: anyway I'm really not sure since I haven't had that problem. are you sure you followed all the steps correctly, whisked it together extremely thoroughly, had the right measurements, etc? did you try to sub a different kind of cheese? if you don't have a good creamy cheese or if you're using lower fat cream if might not work properly, maybe it cooked too hot or there was something acidic? just for clarification, when you say it broke, do you mean the grease separated and floated on top and it got grainy? it's a cheesy cream sauce, it should be almost infinitely forgiving so i can't really imagine how that would happen. I'm sure someone else here can venture a better guess than me

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Things with kale..

salty chips on red lentil, roast squash and garlic soup

soup recipe? my friend just moved to DC and she's working at williams-sonoma while she's getting her interpreter's licensing done; they had a 40% sale off on some kitchen appliances on top of the employee discount so she got a vitamix 750 for just over $300 :captainpop: i'm super jealous and trying to give her as many good soup recipes as I can find. i'm also saving up to give her the money so she can buy the entire all-clad copper core line for me and save me over a thousand bucks on my dream purchase :v:

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 10, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

i pizza'd again. couldn't wait to eat some before taking a picture though

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

you know how john waters says if you go home with someone and they don't have books, don't gently caress them? don't gently caress picky eaters.

e: made banh mi on fresh pain a l'ancienne

money shot :fap:

sploosh

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 17, 2015

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

PatMarshall posted:

You have to tell me how you make your bread, I implore you.

i used this recipe as a base: http://www.crumblycookie.net/2008/07/17/pain-a-lancienne/

personally i let the dough sit in my fridge 3-4 days minimum and have yet to encounter an upper limit on how long you can leave it there. my fridge is especially cold though so it ferments incredibly slowly, results may vary with a warmer fridge. also i follow the note he leaves about baking it at the higher temp for a shorter amount of time. no one's (home" oven is going to drop 150+ degrees in a minute to make a difference there anyway. i cook it at full 550ºF blast, on a baking stone on the top rack for ~12ish minutes or until it looks good. I put my cast iron pan on the bottom rack when i preheat and when i put the bread in (with my peel) I dump a cup or so of hot water into it and close the door asap. about 6 minutes in i dump another cup (or whenever i stop seeing steam rise out o f the oven vent)

shape the boules however you want, i do banh mi size rolls for this but you can also make baguettes. it also makes an incredible pizza crust if you use slightly more flour and/or are more willing to work with rolling/tossing extremely wet dough. parbake the crust a little bit before topping imo to make it easier to work with

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

almost looks like a slightly leaner chuck roast. i did a big one sous vide then sliced it up for BBQ sandwiches, like slightly classier sloppy joes. it owned

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

gently caress YES

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

poo poo picture because i wasn't gonna gently caress around wasting time before i put these in my mouth. sous vide sliders, cooked rare and finished with the searzall. on the leftmost burger you can see the chopped chilis i put under the patty in-n-out style (i also blistered the jalapeño up with the searzall before chopping)

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

You're dumb.

he is, but the general elitist attitude of this forum is also why i almost never post here so i see where he's coming from

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Woof! Woof! posted:

Agreed.

Here's a 45 day ribeye steak cooked to 135f

The searzall instructions say repeatedly not to use MAPP/propylene under any circumstances since it'll burn out the screen. Have you noticed any problems? I'd like to run it at the higher temp

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Is it the spiky clamp you use on the vegetable because that thing has never worked well for me

Only managed to ding myself once but my old roommate did lose a good bit of thumb. They never found the piece.

it works well on hobart deli slicers but only on large pieces of meat so we would freehand a lot (okay almost all) of them. felino fiore was especially fun because it was maybe 1" diameter and extremely dry and firm, and the width of the spinning blade was >1" to the blade guard, so you'd have to feed it directly into the blade by applying pressure directly perpendicular to the blade while feeding it in with your thumb and trying not to lop it off

of course we all managed to lop off a chunk of thumb on that loving thing at some point but we all got it reattached. i almost lost a finger to some sopressata too when I was in a hurry to go on lunch break and the heat from my hand caused the grease to slicken and off went the tip of my index finger. which was flopping on by a thread and got reattached fine.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

my insomnia was really bad and i couldn't sleep at all last night, so i made red velvet cupcakes to share with my class this morning

there were a few people who didn't want any, which is fine. but one of them was a girl who looked visibly repulsed by them. then when one of our later instructors came in he brought some standard safeway sugar cookies with sprinkles and she was all over those. idgi

also cooking red velvet anything makes your kitchen look like a murder scene

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

someone else asked and I clarified that it's glorified chocolate so she was aware

i'm definitely gonna make morcilla blood muffins now though because hail satan

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

I changed a couple things. for one I'd do significantly more salt (I doubled it to 2tsp and thought it could possibly use more). I used way less sugar and no vanilla extract in the frosting because I like it a lot more tart (but I did use neufchatel), wanted the pure flavor of the cheese, and wanted to keep it white and not yellowish for better contrast. I did a half cup of cocoa and used dutch process which worked out really well, I also used a higher ratio of cake flour. The recipe also says "1oz (3tbsp)" of food coloring but 1oz is 30mL and a tablespoon is 15mL, so I went with the full 45mL because RED. I also got really good results results by doing dry->wet->dry->wet->dry, but reserving the creamed butter in a separate bowl during that process and beating it in last. Also it worked just fine with a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer, since I've only got the former in my current apartment.

i did use the duck eggs but i'd have to make a 2nd batch with chicken eggs to see if i could tell a difference. i had them on hand so it was easy enough but i doubt i'd seek them out if it they weren't easily available. i miss living 5 minutes walk from pike market and being able to get any egg i could imagine at a moments notice. ostrich egg omelettes were hilarious to make for friends at a 90s night party where we watched jurassic park

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 15, 2015

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

squirrelzipper posted:

If you mean mine yeah, it's our new 9'x4' harvest kinda table. It's pretty big.

he was sarcastically telling you that your photo is breaking all the loving tables not actually commenting on your kitchen table

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

i'm guessing it was basically like a chicken wellington with porcinis used for the duxelles but if i'm wrong then yeah i'll take a recipe for that too

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

so a syncretic chicken cordon wellington. more or less

tha sounds cool

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

got a great deal on some lamb and ground pork at the moscow coop so I decided to make meatballs. mixed the meat with garlic power, onion powder, smoked salt, oregano, shalllots, sumac, incanestrato, cayenne, chili flakes, olive oil, pimenton, pepper, and a few other things. before adding the egg + breadcrumbs (I have a bunch of great sicilian breadcrumbs from my old place of employment) i reserved some of the meat mix on the sign to make a greek-persian inspired pizza. made persian flatbread, parbaked it, then rubbed it all over with my good olive oil and sprinkled with seasalt, then topped with the meat and fresh ciligene mozz, finally topped with grated mizithra and oregano. whole process took <30 minutes and gently caress it's so good.

if I'd had olives and spinach on hand i would've put that in there too, plus some sherry vinegar or lemon juice would've been good to add to either the meatball mix or on the pizza but w/e. next time!

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

i loving love chicken fried steak

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Veritek83 posted:

The horrible burns you get from drunken pizza'ing are a treasure you'll keep with you forever.

fact. i have all kinds of marks on my arms from running an oven with a baking steel at 600º+ while drunk and high as poo poo and fumbling with my peel. i miss that kitchen

here is my substantially safer drunk late night dinner for tonight

penne all'arabbiata with incanestrato, complete with drunken attempt at plating

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've smoked out [in] a few kitchens in my time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

chicken pot pie

• Locked thread