Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Whole wheat bread, Mark I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I cookied.

I think these are the prettiest cookies I have ever produced. I've been steadily perfecting my recipe -- I started with Keller's recipe as a base and modified slightly -- and I think I've finally nailed it all, including the baking time. I made these as little end-of-year gifts for the staff at one of my best hangouts, but I made a ton so I'm going to have lots of leftovers.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Decided to make dinner for my girlfriend as I'm off for several days and she had to go back to work today.

Nothing fancy but it was delicious. Roast chicken breast topped with herbed bread crumbs, and sauteéd zucchini with garlic and tarragon. I don't cook with meat much, so this was something of a rarity. Also made a fresh loaf of bread, but I've posted enough pictures of boules already.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We bageled for the first time today.

I didn't plan ahead, so I could not make poppy bagels (i.e., the best bagels) but they are really good. A little time consuming, but less so than bread, and very good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Dinner tonight:

Chickpeas and baby spinach braised in coconut milk with ginger and lemon. Served over a Hasselback russet potato. Sorry for the crappy photo, I thought it came out better and when I realized it didn't we had eaten it already.

bosko posted:

Christmas treats!

I don't know what any of those are but I want to eat all of them

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My dad just got back into town last night. He loves gingerbread and my mom never makes it (he is inept in the kitchen, and unlikely to make it for himself) because roll-out cookies are such a pain in the rear end. So we made gingerbread for him as a welcome-home present. He's a veterinarian, and I got little dog themed cookie stamps for them.

The ones with actual dogs were the hardest to get good results from. The upper right cookie is a little Scottie dog, that one transferred the least well; the lower right is a dog's head. The others (doghouse, bone, and hydrant) were easier to get good results from.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Happy new year! We made luck and money for a crowd of 24:

We also made more gingerbread, this time with a simple glaze, and milk chocolate fudge.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We decided to do elementary school lunch today. Fresh bread for PBJs, and three flavors of potato chip.

Plain salt:

Sea salt and rosemary:

BBQ:

Potatoes on the mandoline to get them super thin; this is 3 potatoes worth, less the ones we ate straight off the cooling rack. I was just gonna do salt, the other flavors were my girlfriend's idea. The rosemary ones are spectacular. We weren't sure what to season with for BBQ; these have chili powder, cayenne, paprika, and kosher salt. Thinking about it, they should probably have had cumin in, but they were good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Tacier posted:

I never imagined a russet potato could look so appetizing as the focal point of a meal.

Forgot to say -- thank you! :3:

Migas and refried beans for breakfast today. Never made or eaten either before, so I hope I got them right, but they were good. I gather there are all kinds of migas variants and this is the Tex-Mex one.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

IslamoNazi posted:

Can refried beans be lumpy like that? Not knocking you here, from :australia: and those things are basically unheard of here. Is it just one of those "this works for me, it's done" kind of things?

I'll let the Latino contingent answer that definitively, since I have somehow previously gone 30 years without eating refried beans, but as I understand it you just mash them til they're as mashed as you want them. My potato masher blows and I decided it was good enough.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We made lemon-poppyseed muffins. They don't look like much but they are delicious. We had too much leftover lemon juice so we made a lemon glaze.

edit: whoops we don't need a 3200px image, not even in timg tags

guppy fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 11, 2015

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Mexican chicken en papillote:

Spicy as hell, but delicious.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Tacier posted:

Lemon Chocolate Pie

I used the Cooks Illustrated/Serious Eats crust recipe that Kenji came up with (sans vodka) and I'm never making pie crust without a food processor again. Sooo flaky.

Inspired by this, I made my first pie in a while. This one is apple.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We were going to go out and do something tonight but we decided we were too tired. I said I didn't want to go out, so we rooted through the fridge to see what was there, and we came up with an acorn squash that we bought a week ago on a whim and had been meaning to try out. (Neither of us had made or even eaten acorn squash before.) We brainstormed a bit and looked at some ideas online, and read up on acorn squash preparation generally; then we hit the kitchen and halved and roasted the squash, which we then stuffed with a mixture of quinoa, panko, sliced almonds, and parsley, and garnished with the toasted squash seeds and served alongside kale.

Super happy with how this came out. Delicious, rich, hearty. Perfect winter meal. Also it turns out I am super into the idea of food that is its own container.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Four Banger posted:

Made some soft pretzels, buttered then cinnamon/sugar sprinkled on top

These look delicious

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I went ahead and made the "cheat" pizza with self-rising flour and no rise. Came out pretty well, though I'd like a crispier crust, and it doesn't quite have the full flavor of a traditional yeast-risen dough.

I'll have to play around with the cooking process -- the recipe calls for no cooking except 5 minutes under a broiler on high, which I assume is why the crust is still soft.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks to both of you! I will try all of those things.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Axikal posted:

Looks delicious. Was it hard to make?

Thanks, and no, it is actually stupidly easy. Per pie:

1 1/2 mugs self-rising flour*†
1/2 mug tepid water (the same mug)
A bit of olive oil

* self-rising flour is AP flour with baking powder and salt added already, the proportion I used was 1 cup AP flour : 1/2 tsp salt : 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
† "mugs" are a stupid, inexact measure, but the only thing that really matters is that 3:1 ratio between the flour and the water

Because of the self-rising flour you don't have to rise it so it takes no time at all. Sauce can be homemade or bought (this was made, but very simple). This was broiled for 5 minutes, which is why the cheese is brown, but the crust was very soft; I'm going to play around with the suggestions I got above to help with that. It also doesn't have as much flavor since there's no yeast or rise. On the other hand, it doesn't take a few hours of advance planning.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
In my experience GWS is very interesting in making quality food, and is very helpful, to beginners or anyone else, if you have questions while trying to do that. They are less interested in helping you be Chef Boyardee. Personally I'm good with that. A lot of the people here are also industry or very serious hobbyists and the conversation tends to skew that way.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I made fish for the first time ever today. Wanted trout, made the mistake of not going to Wegmans where I know they had excellent-looking trout, ended up with thicker cod fillets instead. Asked around for suggestions, referred to Bittman, made panko-crusted baked cod.

It was good; a little less flavorful than I'd like, maybe I should have used a more strongly-flavored herb than parsley in the coating. Squeezed the lemons over it and it helped a lot.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Olpainless posted:

That looks pretty nice. A bit of lemon thyme and some of the lemon zest would probably add a bit more umph to the coating if that's what you're after, but I have to admit I have a soft spot for just some well-crumbed cod and that would hit the spot.

Anything special done with the cucumber?

Ooh, that sounds good, I'll keep that in mind. And thanks.

That is actually zucchini, and no. I meant to add tarragon -- I've done that before and liked it -- but it's been a long couple weeks and I'm exhausted and forgot it, so it's just salt and pepper.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I helped some, but these are largely my girlfriend's handiwork. I thought they turned out amazing, though, and I wanted to share. Lemon cupcakes:

Topping is just piped whipped cream; we adapted these from a recipe for a lemon cake, so it called for a lemon glaze, but we thought it would be too sweet, so we went with this instead. I also really liked the cup liners.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We made trout fillets for the first time tonight. (These were raw rainbow trout fillets, not the smoked ones.) This is probably the single best ratio of mindlessly easy to prepare to amazing result of anything I have ever made.

Pardon the mildly unphotogenic lemon wheel. We had zested a few lemons for the lemon cupcakes last weekend, and we saved them since it was just the zest missing. I used half of one of the lemons for the juice, and the other half went to the garnish.

EDIT: Never done this before since I have barely cooked any fish ever, but thanks to the GWS hivemind for the all-important "Don't gently caress with it" advice. Skin came out crispy and delicious.

guppy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 19, 2015

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Apple cinnamon bread:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Tofu pad thai a la Martha Stewart:

Also cross-posting this from the bread thread, we made our first challah. It's good but should have come out sooner.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

VelociBacon posted:

Looks good - do you still have to put some butter on that mat or do you just put your dough right on it and put it in the oven?

Thanks. Nope, Silpat is like non-disposable parchment, no greasing required. Great for most baking. My best cookies are made on it.

Unfortunately I wasn't thinking and started to slice the bread on the mat, which is a no-no. There is a fiberglass weave inside, so it would be potentially harmful to continue to use it. I cut a slit in it and had to throw it away. I've already ordered a replacement, I don't ever want to be without again.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

franco posted:

Spaghetti alle Vongole using cuttlefish ink spaghetti (black is such an appealing food colour *ahem*). Did it in bianco style:

This looks cool as hell

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Spur of the moment, office-closed-snow-day project complete.

Not the most photogenic, and I've carefully avoided photographing some of the ones that look worse, but they're pretty good! I made chocolate, raspberry, blueberry, and chocolate raspberry, but the raspberry preserves seem to have kept the chocolate from melting for some chemistry-related reasons I don't fully understand, so those look a little funny.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Made African peanut stew:

Quite good! Recipe here: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/08/african-peanut-stew-vegan/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Snickerdoodles!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I no longer remember where I got the recipe and inspiration from -- it was definitely a message board, I think it was GWS but can't find it now -- but I made a spinach-feta borek.

I did a silly plating for funsies, we ate more than this:

It looks like Cthulhu in phyllo dough because I used fresh spinach and the stems are on. Whoever it was that inspired me to try making it, thank you. Recipe here: http://littleferrarokitchen.com/2014/01/spinach-feta-borek-turkish-spinach-pie/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Deep dish pizza a la King Arthur:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Midniter posted:

Money shot NOW please. It looks amazing, but more like an amazing lasagna than a deep dish pizza - let's see some innards!

Here you go. It's not the Chicago-, four-inches-of-cheese-and-toppings-style, but it's good. It's also been sitting there for about 20 minutes, versus the other shot where it had just come out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Lazy Sunday breakfast, fresh beignets with homemade strawberry jam:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Last night we made peanut butter cookies with bittersweet chocolate.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I know it's May, but gently caress it, we wanted latkes. I made those, girlfriend whipped up some homemade applesauce:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hob_Gadling posted:

Those look delicious.

Thank you!

We had to make a strawberry shortcake for a birthday yesterday, and I tried a little experiment. We reserved a little batter and made a few miniature ones in a muffin tin. The idea was to slice them horizontally, put fresh strawberry jam in the middle and relayer them to wind up with a layered cylinder, then put fresh whipped cream on top and garnish with a strawberry.

It sort of worked. The top domed, which I should have expected, but that doesn't really matter since the whipped cream would cover it. More concerning, the edges browned and flared back up. We ended up using a paring knife to trim the edges off. Mostly it worked, although they didn't look as perfect as I'd have liked. But they were delicious. I brought my mom some for Mother's Day.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

That looks real good. I found this recipe, will that produce the right result? If not, can you offer a recipe?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Tonight I made my first from-scratch cake, a hot milk cake. Despite being a novice at cakes, I called an audible and added a little cinnamon to the batter. I'm glad I did because it was delicious. Topped with powdered sugar, served with whipped cream:

Really been feeling the cinnamon today, started with it in homemade cinnamon whipped cream with my coffee this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I made pork chops. My first time cooking pork, other than bacon. Here they are, smothered in onions and apples. Parsley garnish, green beans on the side.

Got a little more done than I wanted, but not bad for a first try.

• Locked thread