Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
(E/N):

Typical story here. I'm about to turn 29. Got a stable job, lots of toys, some money saved up, and I'm unhappy. Why? Because as much as I love living in the PNW, I really really dislike going to work every day and doing stuff that means nothing to me. I've been at the same aerospace gig for almost 7 years without a promotion and I've been almost entirely confined to working a desk job. On the days I'm allowed to do anything hands on, my day flies, and I'm eager as can be to go to work. Management knows this and yet the amount of red tape to move me to a position where I would thrive is completely ridiculous.

This is the article that got me going: Your Lifestyle has already been designed

Well, gently caress. I thought by having a good, easy job, I had beat the system. Not so - the system has beaten me. I've looked for any and all distractions to move me through life and ignore what I was doing 80% of my awake hours to enjoy the 20% I have left.

So a few months ago I started thinking hard. Should I start a new job? Should I just leave without anything planned? Can I really afford to quit? Can I survive not being at work?

Can I really give up my toys???

We are about to find out. The stable only a few weeks ago is below, along with their current status.

'89 Comanche (gone, to brother)
'90 F-150 (tentatively sold)
'08 KTM Super Duke (really struggling with putting her up for sale)
'06 KTM 525 EXC (sold)
'02 WRX Wagon (sold)
'92 Miata (up for sale, not sold yet)

So a month ago, the gf and I decided to say gently caress it, and take a chance. We both broke our leases and started selling off our crap. I've already given notice to leave my position. For the next few months, we will live at my mom's house while prepping to hit the road. There's lots to do, lots to plan, and of course, money will be tight.

First thing on the agenda: USA. Including Alaska.

So since I'm selling off everything above, I bought something to tour the USA in.

'06 XTerra Off-Road. Nothing special, but big enough and comfortable enough and capable enough to get me through anything reasonable. :dance: and it's a 6spd :dance:

Lots more to come. Open to suggestions, places to see, couches to crash on, beers to drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Awesome.

If you come east coast, specifically New England/Maine, definitely tons of stuff you should check out and try.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Good for you! Find your happiness.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That's extremely brave. While I bet you'll regret it when you eventually run out of money and have to go back to the grind, you'll be very glad you did it long term.

Frankly I'm envious. I've only just gotten my life on track and don't have any money saved up to try something like that, but I wish I could.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's extremely brave. While I bet you'll regret it when you eventually run out of money and have to go back to the grind, you'll be very glad you did it long term.

Frankly I'm envious. I've only just gotten my life on track and don't have any money saved up to try something like that, but I wish I could.

I will run out of money. I'm well aware.

Lots of people are shocked at my decision. "How will you afford that? Are you rich?"

Ha. Yet consider the following statements:

"I'm getting married!"
"We're buying a house!"
"I'm having a kid!"

These are all normal things that cost way more than taking a few years off of work. Yet nobody asks you how you can afford it.

Rough estimates show that as long as I head towards asia about a year from now, I may have enough to be retire for 3 years. 2015, 2016, 2017. By 2018, I'll have to return to some sort of job, but I doubt I will ever return to the 'grind.' I already live far below my means, I really don't have a need for a corporate salary.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
There's money to be made by picking up the odd job along the way, almost always is.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Looking forward to hearing more about this and your adventures in general! Let me know if/when you end up in vt. beer and a meal at least, if not a room for a few days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wicked dude, loving wicked.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
Congrats dude! This is definitely something that most people would never be brave enough to do and you'll have a ton of fun. Stay safe and never stop posting.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Never regret a second of it.

Keep us posted.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 1, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, we'll expect constant updates on where you are and tons of photos.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Awesome. I'm looking forward to this. Stop by when you're in Minnesota. I'm always happy to host visitors and show you around.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm pretty jealous. Good luck to you, dude.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Well done, good luck, keep us in the loop

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I can't imagine doing something like this. I wish you all the luck in the world. Drop me a line if you come by Chicago.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Always wanted to just up and leave it all behind, congratulations on having the sack to actually go through with it! Good luck on your travels, and definitely keep us updated. If you ever pass through VA let me know, there's a ton of cool poo poo out here.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Man oh man. I always dreamed of doing something like this, but instead I bought a house.

That said, if you're in Tucson AZ, I've got a spare bedroom with a trundle bed you're welcome to use, and I'll take you out to some authentic Mexican food down here.

Are you living out of the xterra? Or are you going to buy a small trailer?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Yeah this is pretty rad. Especially that you have someone to do it with. Make sure to hit up the occasional restaraunt that's been featured on the Food Network, as I did my last cross-country road trip. And don't just stick to the interstates, they're in crap condition anyway.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
If you stop by the Philadelphia area I'll let you drive a Zamboni.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
This is awesome, did something like it in my early 20s, just had to get away from everything for a while.

If you are in the Albuquerque, NM area let me know. I have a decently stocked garage if needed and would be glad to take you both out for some good food.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
If you stop in the Chicago area (please stop at the Chicago area), I'll let you drive my 300ZX!

It'll be fun!

I promise!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Your always welcome to stop and visit if your in Iowa. Theres lots of oil leaks in my garage!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Polish posted:

If you stop by the Philadelphia area I'll let you drive a Zamboni.

I feel like this should be an open offer to any AI goon.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Best of luck with your road tripping Blaise :)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Hell yeah man, live the dream. I would love to do the same thing - I really dug that article, really crushed all of my hopes and dreams.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm super jealous. On the Road is my favorite novel and I've always wanted to travel out West.

Hell, I even started quoting the book in this post without realizing it.

Good luck!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I just had dinner with a couple of friends who decided to sell everything and drive around the USA for their honeymoon. It was supposed to be for a month or two, but they've been at it for a year and a half and are now about to head to South America. They were able to make pretty decent money working as tour bus guides at national parks in the summer and at ski resorts in the winter. It's a wild lifestyle. Best of luck!

If you are ever in north Florida drop me a line. I'm good for a home cooked meal and a place to crash.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
If you pull a stunt like this (or mine) is it a pre-life crisis? A pre-mid-life crisis?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
If you pass through Vegas I know where some awesome abandoned mines and cities are.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Das Volk posted:

If you pull a stunt like this (or mine) is it a pre-life crisis? A pre-mid-life crisis?

I'm pretty sure any 30 year old now that is going through this stuff is actually having a mid-life crisis. I'm just waiting for the day that someone actually proves that wifi and cellphones cause cancer, and our generation will be dead by 60.

Edit: I can type better than this.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Das Volk posted:

Growing up today sucks. Not accounting for a poo poo job market and employers want to try to figure out how to pay you less than minimum wage.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Congratulations Blaise for doing what we all want to to but are too chickenshit to actually go through with.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

If you pass through Vegas I know where some awesome abandoned mines and cities are.

I'm planning on going thru Vegas on my way across the country in 2 weeks actually!

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Das Volk posted:

It's not a crisis. Just because you choose to do something other than the normal does not qualify as a 'crisis.'

I think the normal is wrong. Working 9-5, 48 weeks a year with 2 weeks vacation until you 'retire' at age 70 is wrong.

I will not turn 60 and regret not doing more when I was younger.

:)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Blaise posted:

I'm planning on going thru Vegas on my way across the country in 2 weeks actually!

AWESOME. Fancy some wheelin and perhaps a beer or three? :D

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
This is absolutely awesome! If you find your way heading through the Fraser Valley in BC, on your way to Alaska, let me know. Really good wheeling around here to limber up your ride for the drive north.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Try and get the Seattle AI group together for another meetup before you go, because who knows when you'll be back?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

If you end up in Knoxville let me know. I have beer and a garage full of old German stuff.

We have some great roads and off-road areas in the area.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Das Volk posted:

i like pre-life crisis.

I did something similar when I topped out in my glorious career of building semi trailers. I sold everything moved across the state and went back to school.

No regrets, change is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Blaise posted:

I think the normal is wrong. Working 9-5, 48 weeks a year with 2 weeks vacation until you 'retire' at age 70 is wrong.

It helps if you don't hate your job, that being said the good ones don't usually last forever.

Also helps if you really enjoy where you live and don't feel the need to "escape" to somewhere else.

Been there before and have sold everything, haven't traveled as much as you're planning to but moved around enough and experienced enough to figure out where I want to be in life. Chasing the money is overrated.

Good luck man.

• Locked thread