Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Kindle Unlimited is a new service from Amazon. Pay :10bux: a month and get all-you-can-eat reading. Amazon promises "over 700,000 books" available on any device that can run the Kindle app (PC, Android, iOS, Kindle). The problem is it can be overwhelming to search through thousands of books like Her Purrfect Match and Fealty of the Bear ("Adult only bear shifter romance") to find anything really worth reading.

This thread is for finding the diamonds in the rough. Or just more trashy romance, if that's your thing.

To start, some popular series are available in full, including The Hunger Games, The Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter.

I can't recommend SA's own Zack Parson's Outer Echelon series enough. It's a series of short sci-fi novellas all taking place in a post-acopaclyptic future ravaged by war, but the stories are fresh and original, and manage to create a rich and fascinating world in just under 80 pages each. His novel, Liminal States is also available and worth a read.

Some other popular titles I noticed were Kitchen Confidential, 1984 and Animal Farm, a whole host of Vonnegut novels, a collection of Michael Lewis books including Flash Boys, which is essential reading for anyone even a little interested in Wall street and trading, and a bunch of book club type books including Water for Elephants, Life of Pi, and Everything is Illuminated.

It's also worth noting there are a ton of educational books. I recently started learning computer programming and there are countless books on learning Python. You can find books on learning languages, software, math, and more.

Share your best Kindle Unlimited finds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Are there any books that aren't included?

Also denying an internet service to different countries is still bullshit.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

It's worth noting, though I only noticed it yesterday, that any books on the Unlimited plan, also include the companion narration via Audible. That's a nice bonus. I've recently become hooked on the greatness that is Whispersync. Now, I never have to stop reading.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Megaspel posted:

Are there any books that aren't included?

Also denying an internet service to different countries is still bullshit.

Most books aren't included. That's why this thread is for recommending the best of what's available.

Agreed completely that the region lockout is ridiculous.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010
Are the audio books downloaded or streaming? It didn't say on the link you posted.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Here's a few that I've read and would recommend. I don't actually have Kindle Unlimited, but all these books were offered for free on Amazon at one point or another and are part of the Kindle Unlimited program now.

(Citation Needed): The Best of Wikipedia's Worst Writing
A quick and fun read highlighting some retarded wikipedia entries.

The Fairies at Browning Grange
A novella about fairies running wild on an English estate in the 1920's. Great job on the interesting characters, storyline, setting, and scenes with fairies creating pandemonium

Correction Line
Correction Line is a difficult book to describe. It's a little like a Clive Barker book with a rural prairie setting. You have the cast of an enigmatic cult-like leader, the devoted hitman, the burned out encyclopedia sales man, and the woman who can make a mysterious healing liquid. It has a totally unique storyline and you won't be able to predict what happens next.

The Icarus Void
The Icarus Void is like a novelization of a set of movies and games in the space horror genre. Mix Aliens, Solaris, Dead Space, and Half-Life together and you get The Icarus Void. The plot involves a spaceship on a research trip to the sun that comes across an alien artifact. They haul it into the ship for further study and all hell breaks lose.

Swarm
A fun read about drones gone wild. Drones are a fairly cheap weapon of the future to manufacture. What happens when a fleet of them gets in the wrong hands? You get the techno action of Swarm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've had a hard time figuring out how this could be worthwhile when there are an essentially infinite number of free kindle ebooks already, just from out-of-copyright titles, from Wilkie Collin's The Moonstone, Kipling, Dickens, Twain, Austen, Trollope, Jules Verne, etc.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I look at it this way: if I read even just one book a month I would have paid more than ten dollars for, it's completely worth it. If you're only interested in older literature out of copyright, then it's not worth it, but if you are interested in newer books in their selection it can be.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I guess that's my issue -- the books I read are either very old and thus either out of copyright and free or unlikely to be in the program at all, or else new and esoteric to the point that I'm generally lucky if an ebook edition even exists; hell half the new fantasy I read seems to be unavailable in America, period, much less available on kindle. But if you're reading more mainstream stuff it could probably be worthwhile.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

dantheman650 posted:

I look at it this way: if I read even just one book a month I would have paid more than ten dollars for, it's completely worth it. If you're only interested in older literature out of copyright, then it's not worth it, but if you are interested in newer books in their selection it can be.

That's the thing though, most of the books in the program are under 10 bucks anyway.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

XBenedict posted:

That's the thing though, most of the books in the program are under 10 bucks anyway.

Depends how much you read though, and how broad your tastes are, at my best i might read 20-30 ish novels a month, sometimes only 2 or 3, realistically either way this would save me money and in an extreme case (assume $8 per book ish) I might save over $100 a month,.

Yet again, depending on your tastes YMMV.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I've been on a poetry kick, and have been seeking out new stuff. Usually I stick to fantasy/sci-fi prose, but Judith Tarr made a recommendation for G.T. Alexander's poetry http://www.amazon.com/Loom-Fates-Gwyndyn-Alexander-ebook/dp/B00VD8ATN6 , which can be brutal at times, but covers everything from fairy tales to takes on classic mythology. I know some of her stuff is free right now (it being poetry month and all), but it looks like all of her selections are available for Kindle Unlimited.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Brilliance is a pretty interesting series on Kindle Unilimited. It's sort of a "what if the x-men were real?", only with more grounded powers. An entertaining read.

Wool is also on kindle unlimited. If you haven't read it yet for some reason, you really should.

I'm about to start the Wayward Pines trilogy so I'll report back.

Also, anything by Chuck Tingle is just fantastic. I usually recommend people start with My Billionaire Triceratops Craves Gay rear end since it's the most accessible, but if you don't mind the more highbrow stuff, Pounded by the Gay Unicorn Football Squad and Pounded by President Bigfoot are some good reads.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 12, 2015

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Brilliance is a pretty interesting series on Kindle Unilimited. It's sort of a "what if the x-men were real?", only with more grounded powers. An entertaining read.

Wool is also on kindle unlimited. If you haven't read it yet for some reason, you really should.

I'm about to start the Wayward Pines trilogy so I'll report back.

Also, anything by Chuck Tingle is just fantastic. I usually recommend people start with My Billionaire Triceratops Craves Gay rear end since it's the most accessible, but if you don't mind the more highbrow stuff, Pounded by the Gay Unicorn Football Squad and Pounded by President Bigfoot are some good reads.

My KU trial just ended. I've decided to continue on for now. During my month I consumed 8 books, so I guess it was with it.

Good Orwell selection. I did read the Wayward Pines trilogy and it was quite good. Also Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis Trilogy, which was also good.

I've read Wool before and it was a good, if incomplete, read.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
The Executioner series is available through KU. Enough said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

There's a pretty great José Saramago collection. Blindness is phenomenal, and I recently read The Gospel According To Jesus Christ and am working on All the Names, which is quite entertaining.

• Locked thread