Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

My favorite bird is the Cedar Waxing.

They have a pretty cute mating ritual. Two of them will sit on a branch and pass food back and forth between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FreshFeesh posted:

Any bird that dive-bombs its target at over 180mph is fine by me. Of all the raptors, peregrine falcons are my absolute favorite:

I love that we live in an era when people can strap video cameras to birds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAx35x8O6Ts&t=50s

When he actually kicks into the dive he gets going so fast it made my acrophobia twinge.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
This thread has shown that there is a great variety of awesome birds out there.
Seeing as nobody has posted them, and rightfully so, I think we can all agree that the Canada Goose is the worst bird.

gently caress these guys.

OK Some Butt Stuff
Jun 9, 2002

Carnival of Shrews posted:

There are 29 Youtube videos of Dieter the Indefatigable, and about half of them are of an erotic nature. Are all budgies like this?

I have a love bird that's always jerking off.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

OK Some Butt Stuff posted:

I love a bird that's always jerking off.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

This happy guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vfsHYiKY

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

OK Some Butt Stuff posted:

I have a love bird that's always jerking off.

I thought that one of the advantages of being a bird was that mating season rolled around annually, and that even monogamous species could forget they were married for the rest of the year. It seems I was wrong, and that many social tropical birds (parrots, I'm looking at you) are sex fiends whenever the weather permits.

This might explain London's ever-growing guerilla army of ring-necked parakeets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4P_NhFlb5w

Also, no matter how amazing they are, don't ever be grabbed by an owl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAz1L8DlvBM

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Apparently this guy is related to a pigeon

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Also, no matter how amazing they are, don't ever be grabbed by an owl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAz1L8DlvBM

I like how it closes its eyes on impact like a goddamn sky-shark. :allears:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
bearded vultures

motherfucking bearded vultures

YEAH :rock:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Gaunab posted:

Bearded vultures are pretty cool looking.

YEAH

this guy gets it

the red coloration in the features comes from soil they rub into them. the iron oxide in the soil gives their feathers the awesome orange-red look. the brighter the look typically the older and more desirable and wise bird. it's not even done for any real purpose either, not for mating or scaring of predators or anything. they just do it. just 'cause.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Master Twig posted:

This thread has shown that there is a great variety of awesome birds out there.
Seeing as nobody has posted them, and rightfully so, I think we can all agree that the Canada Goose is the worst bird.

gently caress these guys.

Yeah, because this is Post Your Favourite Bird. The Canada Goose is no one's favourite bird. If the Canada Goose were an ice cream flavour, it would be pralines and dick.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I like Canada Geese :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Radio! posted:

I like Canada Geese :colbert:

I didn't know Canada Geese were allowed to post on the forums :colbert:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Blind Sally posted:

Yeah, because this is Post Your Favourite Bird. The Canada Goose is no one's favourite bird. If the Canada Goose were an ice cream flavour, it would be pralines and dick.

quote for fuckin troof

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Sandhill motherfuckin' cranes.

There were a few of them, including a juvenile, that used to spend the mornings picking bugs out of the fields at my highschool. One morning, some little rear end in a top hat decided it would be hilarious to run out in the field and try to gently caress with them. He probably just expected to run at them and force them to fly away. What he DIDN'T expect was for them to start pecking the ever living poo poo out of him. These birds get like 4 feet tall. Their beaks are not small, and they're pretty sharp too. The little bastard ended up running back towards everyone else while getting the poo poo pecked out of him, and the terror screams he let out were priceless.

Thank you, sandhill cranes, for being both majestic and :black101: as gently caress.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I think I'm the only moron in my country who likes these assholes:

(Great-tailed grackle)

They poo poo everywhere and break the trash bags to get the delicious food, they don't have pretty colors and are so common that one cares about them, but I have to admire the balls they have when dealing with birds of prey and other predators. They don't even give a gently caress if you are a human, get near a chick and they will come down together against you.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Blind Sally posted:

I didn't know Canada Geese were allowed to post on the forums :colbert:

My terrible secret is revealed!

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Matilda best bird

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Desperado Bones posted:

I think I'm the only moron in my country who likes these assholes:

(Great-tailed grackle)

They poo poo everywhere and break the trash bags to get the delicious food, they don't have pretty colors and are so common that one cares about them, but I have to admire the balls they have when dealing with birds of prey and other predators. They don't even give a gently caress if you are a human, get near a chick and they will come down together against you.

No! I love the grackles around town here, too. They're my fav city bird :kimchi:

They're pretty smart for a non-corvid and in Houston, at least, we get clouds and clouds of them as they migrate. We called them mall-birds growing up, because they all liked hanging out in the parking lots and being so noisy.

Here is a female one!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FutonForensic posted:

My favorite bird is the Cedar Waxing.

They have a pretty cute mating ritual. Two of them will sit on a branch and pass food back and forth between them.

Cedar Waxwings are wonderful.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hummingbirds. All of them.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Karma Guard posted:

We called them mall-birds growing up, because they all liked hanging out in the parking lots and being so noisy.

Haha, I called them french-fry birds as a little kid because they hung out around all the fast food restaurants eating fries that people had dropped :3:

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

I am a huge fan of rear end in a top hat birds.

Until recently, my favourite rear end in a top hat bird was the Eurasian Magpie.

Then when I moved the the US this summer, I met Bluejays:

The only rear end in a top hat birds I hate are Canada Geese. Those guys can go gently caress themselves for all the noise they would make outside my bedroom window at 3 in the morning.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Natalie Fartman posted:

I am a huge fan of rear end in a top hat birds.

Until recently, my favourite rear end in a top hat bird was the Eurasian Magpie.

Then when I moved the the US this summer, I met Bluejays:

The only rear end in a top hat birds I hate are Canada Geese. Those guys can go gently caress themselves for all the noise they would make outside my bedroom window at 3 in the morning.

Blue jays are corvids so yeah, they will clown on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifCmvLNQl3s

Canada geese are just hateful shitmachines.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Blind Sally posted:

I like pralines and dick.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Hummingbirds. All of them.

never heard a hummingbird hum

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

BloodWulfe posted:

YEAH

this guy gets it

the red coloration in the features comes from soil they rub into them. the iron oxide in the soil gives their feathers the awesome orange-red look. the brighter the look typically the older and more desirable and wise bird. it's not even done for any real purpose either, not for mating or scaring of predators or anything. they just do it. just 'cause.

That is insane as gently caress.

Kookaburras are pretty awesome, they're insanely friendly too. A Wattle Bird was chasing one out the front of my place the other day and the just flew up and landed between my arms then started laughing at the Wattle Bird because he knew it would be too scared to take both the bird and me on.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Sapphaholic posted:

The kestrel, such a tiny and awesome bird of prey!

I have a bird feeder set up in my backyard. In spring and fall we play host to black-headed grossbeaks, but most of the year it's just sparrows of various species and house finches. One day a Kestrel came in and snatched one of our sparrows. It was a "Hey! That's MY sparrow!" combined with "That was really cool!"

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

plain blue jacket posted:

never heard a hummingbird hum

If they get close to you, you can hear the wings flapping really, really fast, which is sort of a hum. There was an Anna's hummingbird at my Mother-in-law's house that would fly right up to your face, hover in front of you, about 2 feet away, seemingly pass judgement, then fly away.

One fun thing that the male Costa's hummingbird does is buzz on a descending note. He does this particularly when courting a female. He will fly over hear in a U-shaped path while buzzing. Since he's making a descending note, it gives the impression of a strong doppler shift, and it is assumed that females are attracted to fast males. The fake doppler shift makes him sound faster than he actually is.

Here's a video someone shot where you can hear the buzzing call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDZIJCJtyS0

it can be heard between 10 and 20 seconds, and then at about 1:55.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 28, 2014

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Keas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBdvRCkCNfo

2nd African Grey

Greys are smarter than you are.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I present my favorite bird:

tada!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Natalie Fartman posted:

Tawny frogmouths are the most amusing birds but not actually an owl.

I got to look awkward holding one last summer! He was the best. I want one as a pet.

Edit: I suck at phone posting.

Well, I learned something today. Continuing my theme of Australian birds, the Major Mitchell's Cockatoo is fabulous.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

genesplicer posted:

If they get close to you, you can hear the wings flapping really, really fast, which is sort of a hum. There was an Anna's hummingbird at my Mother-in-law's house that would fly right up to your face, hover in front of you, about 2 feet away, seemingly pass judgement, then fly away.

One fun thing that the male Costa's hummingbird does is buzz on a descending note. He does this particularly when courting a female. He will fly over hear in a U-shaped path while buzzing. Since he's making a descending note, it gives the impression of a strong doppler shift, and it is assumed that females are attracted to fast males. The fake doppler shift makes him sound faster than he actually is.

Here's a video someone shot where you can hear the buzzing call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDZIJCJtyS0

it can be heard between 10 and 20 seconds, and then at about 1:55.

hummingbird's flapping totally produce a humming sound. i see lots of them and if you have a feeder they will come and eat from it even if you're standing right next to it. they are always jonesin' for that sweet, sweet, sugary water.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

mikerock posted:

Keas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBdvRCkCNfo

2nd African Grey

Greys are smarter than you are.

Some New Zealanders might disagree, but I've always wanted to visit just to see the Keas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGtWxq7aH9Q

Also these fat, adorable guys, but they're critically endangered so I doubt I'll ever get to see one up close:

:parrot:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vfsHYiKY

I cannot believe you did not add this video to your post.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
P1000446 by vexborg, on Flickr

The Uhu :)

Also known as the Eurasian eagle-owl.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RaspberryCommie posted:

Some New Zealanders might disagree, but I've always wanted to visit just to see the Keas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGtWxq7aH9Q

gif shamelessly stolen from a friend:

bonestructure posted:

The best thing about green-cheekies is that habit they have of using their molted feathers as head-scratchers. Mine will pick up a tailfeather, carefully nibble the quill to the sharpest possible point, then go to town on the back of his head and his eyerings. :allears:

also yes this is the best :3: when mine doesn't have a molted feather around he'll grab one of my fingers, yank it around until he's satisfied with its positioning, and then start scratching his head against my nail.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

you are a very smart bird to be posting on an internet forum

you must be a bearded vulture because they use tools, and a computer is a tool, therefor you are LITERALLY A [BEARDED VULTURE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmM_8BIx-Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kidney Stone posted:

P1000446 by vexborg, on Flickr

The Uhu :)

Also known as the Eurasian eagle-owl.

Eagle-owl in football game. Shows at about 40s, sorry for the bad quality vid, the better one was removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ad8Iu7AJI

It used to live in the Stadium.

• Locked thread