Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Never saw this when it came out and it's on in a couple of London cinemas today and tomorrow... not in 3D though. Definitely torn as to whether to see it, especially as it seems like it'd be a lot more fun in 3D. Should've caught it at the BFI Imax when it came out damnit!

Don't see it in 3D, it's the worst 3D I ever saw. It actively made the movie worse. Huge landscapes looked like they were model-sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MikeJF posted:

Don't see it in 3D, it's the worst 3D I ever saw. It actively made the movies worse. Huge landscapes looked like they were model-sized.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is still the best comedy of 2015. I don't know why you guys hated it so much.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

This is still the best comedy of 2015. I don't know why you guys hated it so much.

When I left the theater I was certain that it was meant to be a disaster comedy in the vein of Airplane or the like.
I'm still not convinced that it isn't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Of all the articles written about the lady who was eaten by 3 things, that scene cracked me up. It was so over the top it had to be a joke during the making of
It.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know why you guys hated it so much.

Because everyone else liked it so much.

Hell, this reminds me of a pre-movie ad that I saw a lot earlier in the year, advertising some new website/service where you can record your own quick video reviews of popular movies. JW was one of them, and everyone gave JW 5/5. Except for the tall chubby guy who said the complete opposite of everyone else, giving it a 2/5. SA is that Guy Whose Review Is Put On Screen Because It's So Different.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MisterBibs posted:

Hell, this reminds me of a pre-movie ad that I saw a lot earlier in the year, advertising some new website/service where you can record your own quick video reviews of popular movies. JW was one of them, and everyone gave JW 5/5. Except for the tall chubby guy who said the complete opposite of everyone else, giving it a 2/5. SA is that Guy Whose Review Is Put On Screen Because It's So Different.

If that were true then no one here would like Fury Road.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Funnier than the Spongebob or Shaun Sheep movies?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Oh it's funny alright - just not 'ha ha' funny.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

MisterBibs posted:

MisterBibs posted:

Just got out of the theater, profoundly unimpressed. The movie is two hours of car chases wherein samey cars are blown up, watching samey Bad Guys be flung from the wreckages of said cars, while we watch samey waif-wifes and eventually samey old warrior women.

They had a chance with some interesting looking Head Bad Guys that don't get enough fleshing out, so their actions and deaths aren't interesting.

This movie is what happens if you make a cliff racer mod for Fallout, and the only other NPCs are Generic Bandits. Oh, and it has to be a foreign version of Fallout, because what little dialogue is in the film is usually unintelligible.

Yep that's goons alright, always gotta be contrary.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's kind of like the third Hobbit movie. It had a bunch of goofy elements (far more than Jurassic World) but didn't fully commit to it. The extended edition does, though, resulting in a fantasy film that's equal parts 300, a Total War computer game and Monty Python. That one scene in Jurassic World is the one scene with that tone. If the film had committed to it, it probably would have been a lot more fun, and that scene less jarring. All the rest of the "Dinosaur eats people" scenes are so comparatively sombre and imagination free.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yep that's goons alright, always gotta be contrary.

Contrary to?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

I'm saying that he's accusing goons of not liking this movie to be contrary, while simultaneously pointing out that he dumped on a movie that was almost universally praised by critics and goons alike (Fury Road).

I'm not sure why I have to point this out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

If that were true then no one here would like Fury Road.

No, they liked it here in part because nobody else went to see Fury Road. Had to make its money back overseas, like John Carter or Terminator Genesys.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 26, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MisterBibs posted:

No, they liked it here in part because nobody else went to see Fury Road. Had to make its money back overseas, like John Carter or Terminator Genesys.

Ah, so goons only hate films that are both critically and commercially successful. Good to know.

Oh wait, Jurassic World wasn't one of those.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

MisterBibs posted:

Fury Road made twice as much as both of those movies domestically and was universally praised by critics (97% on RT compared to 51% for John Carter and 26% for Terminator Genisys and 70% for Jurassic World). You're free to have your own (garbage) opinion, but trying to claim that Goons only like something because of an absurd (And incorrect) metric you pulled out of your rear end is pretty precious.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mrbibs is autistic.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Fury Road made twice as much as both of those movies domestically and was universally praised by critics (97% on RT compared to 51% for John Carter and 26% for Terminator Genisys and 70% for Jurassic World).

So? My point wasn't about the critical reviews (who give's a rat's rear end about that); only the popular/financial aspects.

Why are there so many people who hate JW? Because it was really popular and made a lot of bank. Cinematic jealousy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

So? My point wasn't about the critical reviews (who give's a rat's rear end about that); only the popular/financial aspects.

Why are there so many people who hate JW? Because it was really popular and made a lot of bank. Cinematic jealousy.

That's

Certainly a way to look at it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

MisterBibs posted:

Or, you know, it had a garbage script, uneven effects, mostly bad acting, and was mostly banking on nostalgia for a twenty year old predecessor that was better in every way.

But no, I guess I just don't like it because it made a lot of money :psyduck:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MisterBibs posted:

Lots of people here like Transformers though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
And loving love the original Jurassic Park, which was insanely successful.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Burkion posted:

That's

Certainly a way to look at it.

This year has actually been more tiresome than usual for CD because whenever some movie is even slightly a modest financial success, somebody like Groovelord Neato or whoever will drop in and be like BLURRRRRGH FURY ROAD.

It basically is jealousy. Or inferiority complex.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

broken clock opsec posted:

This year has actually been more tiresome than usual for CD because whenever some movie is even slightly a modest financial success, somebody like Groovelord Neato or whoever will drop in and be like BLURRRRRGH FURY ROAD.

It basically is jealousy. Or inferiority complex.

Okay maybe so- I tend to avoid most of the threads here so I wouldn't know about them.

But to write off EVERYONE who has issues with JW is more than a bit short sighted. Writing it off as jealousy is just stupid.

I don't even give a poo poo about Fury Road or anything else- if a movie is bad it's bad. JW is just...flawed.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also i really like godzilla movies and this was the best godzilla movie to come out in a while.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I watched JW because I wanted to see some cool dinosaurs. I got to see the dinosaurs, and they were cool, so it accomplished the very basics to satisfy me.

On top of that, I liked the way the park was designed and the "corporate shark" atmosphere of the first scenes. For the most part I did not like the humans, but who cares about those.

This is no masterpiece but it does what it sets out to do. Can't complain about that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Fury Road made twice as much as both of those movies domestically and was universally praised by critics (97% on RT compared to 51% for John Carter and 26% for Terminator Genisys and 70% for Jurassic World). You're free to have your own (garbage) opinion, but trying to claim that Goons only like something because of an absurd (And incorrect) metric you pulled out of your rear end is pretty precious.

Ratings mean nothing for me, I like watching them myself several times before I figure it out. But I love reading about the costs of movies.

John Carter

Why did they make a movie for 250 million about a lovely story from the civil war time.

Terminator

Meh, enjoyed the flick. It made back over double the costs, expect to see more.

Jurassic World

Man I thought this movie flopped, watched it again this weekend a few times. Its ok, hope they do better. No matter how you look at it the movie did well. Expect many more in till the golden goose is dead.

Now lets look at your champion

Mad Max

Holy poo poo, I liked this movie too. But those dollar bills, I hope they make more, Its just the cost of making a rated r film.

Noting aside of John Carter did bad. I don't know what kind of return ratio they expect when they make a movie, but I'm pretty sure they expect a positive return ratio and wont risk it on more Tomorrowlands.

Who cares it people dont like the same things as you?

Ok, here's a bonus, why found footage films will never die.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 26, 2015

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Do those figures factor in home video/streaming revenue? If so John Carter is only a failure from a broader perspective of getting so little return on a huge 250 million dollar investment.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Marketing New Brain posted:

Do those figures factor in home video/streaming revenue? If so John Carter is only a failure from a broader perspective of getting so little return on a huge 250 million dollar investment.

John Carter was a failure for so many reasons, money is just one of those factors.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

El Grillo posted:

Never saw this when it came out and it's on in a couple of London cinemas today and tomorrow... not in 3D though. Definitely torn as to whether to see it, especially as it seems like it'd be a lot more fun in 3D. Should've caught it at the BFI Imax when it came out damnit!

It was amazing at the BFI IMAX

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Just the box office money I think. So this doesn't include the old movie becoming a cult classic and outselling dvds like a mad man.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Do those figures factor in home video/streaming revenue?

I don't believe so, but trust me, the marketing folks are always up for another "Well, it made its money back on X and that's super important because reasons".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MisterBibs posted:

I don't believe so, but trust me, the marketing folks are always up for another "Well, it made its money back on X and that's super important because reasons".

That kind matters in the long run, maybe they would finance another movie in the next 10 years. They go off box office numbers to decide if they are going to finance another movie in the next 1-2 years. Ever wonder why there was a scarymovie/dumbmovie every year?

Two different things that kinda matter.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

Just the box office money I think. So this doesn't include the old movie becoming a cult classic and outselling dvds like a mad man.

Dredd :smith:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

That sequel is coming just wait.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tenzarin posted:

John Carter

Why did they make a movie for 250 million about a lovely story from the civil war time.

Because it included all of the previous production attempts of John Carter. This is also why Tangled and Frozen have such high budgets, although they both did well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
John Carter was a doomed movie. It had way too much baggage on it just from all of the different attempts to make it and it was always going to struggle to make its money back, and then there's the half hearted way they actually attempted to make it.

The original John Carter stories have the very intentional and more than not kind of racist "White Man Saves The Day" stuff that old pulp would delve into, but you could play with that in a number of ways. Notably, changing the actor playing John Carter for one, but even if you didn't do that you could still include an element of John Carter that the movie just didn't.

John Carter was never a normal human being. In the stories John Carter was a literal living tall tale, even on Earth- immortal and ageless who just appeared one day and was already super strong and a badass. He also had very little to do with the Civil War if anything which is just this whole weird Thing the movie forced on itself. Play up the fact that John Carter is this proto Superman, living legend figure that just happens to go to Mars and fights a corrupt empire to save the natives. Make it full on escapist fun.

Instead they both tried to ground it in reality while simultaneously doing nothing of the sort in regards to his nearly literal cartoon animal sidekick, our hero fails at drat near everything he does and almost never wins a single fight, and the tone is weird as gently caress. It tried to appeal to a lot of different ideas and instead tore itself apart.

Also it made the racisim stuff a bit more glaring and opened some unwanted questions by making the main character a literal unrepentant Confederate soldier which, curiously, was their own choice.

Also that stupid loving thing about his nephew being the author of the books. You deserve what you got movie.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Burkion posted:

Also that stupid loving thing about his nephew being the author of the books. You deserve what you got movie.

I thought the bookend was kind of clever, but otherwise yeah.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, John Carter really needed to seem more like a near-unstoppable force of nature that you absolutely did not want to gently caress with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, John Carter really seemed more like a near-unstoppable force of nature that you absolutely did not want to watch.

agreed.

• Locked thread