Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really didn't like Safety Not Guaranteed, and I am probably more upset than I should be that Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum won't be in this. But on the other hand:

D-Pad posted:

Chris Pratt as an accepted member of a pack of Raptors that he hunts with on a motorcycle?

I AM loving IN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Stare-Out posted:

Roland Tembo is also a total white knight.

I can't get over the punch sounds. I know they are stock punch sounds, but I never really noticed how funny they sound until now.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
The only thing I care about is whether or not Richard Kiley is still narrating the tour. Hammond spared no expense, after all.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

zVxTeflon posted:

I hope a raptor jumps a motorcycle off a ramp and high-fives a T-rex in mid air as they tag team super dino

This, but sincerely.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

brother I was completely sincere

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Macaluso posted:

I can't imagine it'll fly. Unless they, while making hybrid dinosaurs, literally made a dragon, which I would be like "uh" then "hmm" and then "yes good".

The overhead camera angle made me think that the pterodactyls get out (maybe the poster's idea about the new dinosaurs wrecking the other dinosaur areas releases them?). There's also the shot of the kid hiding in terror at what I imagine is a raptor, but that could be another trailer misdirection and and that could be one of Pratt's hunting dog raptors. He'll burst in and start licking the kid's face and then Chris Pratt comes in and is like "he likes you"

I did see a leaked clip that showed Pratt jumping between the kid from the beginning of the trailer and a couple of raptors who sorta did the "ERwAHH? Master say stop" look that dogs do when he put up his hands in a "Hold on now guys" motion. So I'm pretty sure those Raptors are going to be at least vaguely domesticated.

Crain fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 26, 2014

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i want the new dino to be a raptor/t rex hybrid that isnt trained by pratt so obviously it is super aggressive and hilarious

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

from Slashfilm

I hope the trailer is misdirecting a bit and a lot of the film takes place in the old park.

Also: teal and orange, goddamn :eyepop:.

twoot fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 26, 2014

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In my ideal version of this film there'd be a cheesy animatronic ride that simulates the first film. That or a 'Jurassic Park' film exists as an in-universe dramatisation of real events.

I want to see actors running around dressed as Malcolm. Or a squeaky toy lawyer for dogs to chew on.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I won't believe this movie is finally coming out until I am in a theater watching it and heck, I probably still won't be fully convinced until about a half-hour in

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Lost World is basically the Gremlins 2 to Jurassic Park's Gremlins, although the satire isn't exactly the same level of obvious, so the reactions to the two comparatively are quite similar.

I didn't dislike this trailer at all, although I wish the good raptors had guns.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
This looks like a loving Asylum movie. And I for one am not someone who enjoys that crap. You guys have fun with this one, it's just that now I have to pray that at least the Star Wars trailer doesn't disappoint me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope the reveal of the hybrid ends up being the most dangerous predator of all: man.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope the reveal of the hybrid ends up being the most dangerous predator of all: man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RuB3gT8t0&t=11s

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Man, this poo poo reminds me of that JP toyline about genetically fused dinosaurs. Which I still unironically like.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

SaltLick posted:

i want the new dino to be a raptor/t rex hybrid that isnt trained by pratt so obviously it is super aggressive and hilarious

um that's exactly what it's going to be.

Unfortunately since it's a Spielberg film most of the plot will be centered around the two dopey looking kids from the start of the trailer, and you'll get like one full scene with Rex Raptor, along with 2-3 Predator-like off-screen kills.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Abugadu posted:

Unfortunately since it's a Spielberg film

It isn't. I mean, he's still an executive producer and I'm sure he took a look at the script and all, but this has been Frank Marshall's baby and Colin Trevorrow co-wrote and directed the thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It's not a Spielberg film.

Spielberg movies have almost absolute PERFECT balance between human elements and showing the "monster"/effects. Jaws and Jurassic Park are probably the most premiere examples of the genre. It's the perfect mix of buildup/anticipation and not showing too much/or too little.

War of the Worlds was also excellent in this, for a more recent example.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Darko posted:

The Lost World is basically the Gremlins 2 to Jurassic Park's Gremlins, although the satire isn't exactly the same level of obvious, so the reactions to the two comparatively are quite similar.

I didn't dislike this trailer at all, although I wish the good raptors had guns.

Gatts posted:

Aliens, Gremlins 2, and Jurassic Park have similar underlying themes of man and nature and control or weaponizing it and failing. Gremlins 2 is the only one where an attempt at dialog between the two parties was made but ended in bloodshed. Aliens was to nuke it and survive. Jurrasic Park was to respect it and let it be.

Prometheus is a meditation of how trying to understand it can lead to madness and disaster and not being satisfactory.

I agree.

Also, about red on screen...Howard is a redhead and she is blocking the screen. Yowza, hot stuff.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

twoot posted:

from Slashfilm

I hope the trailer is misdirecting a bit and a lot of the film takes place in the old park.

Also: teal and orange, goddamn :eyepop:.

During production there were several images released (via Twitter, I believe) of things from the original JP, like the dock sign and the T-rex-crushed old school jeep. I thought it was for nostalgia but now I wonder if the restricted area on the map is the original site from JP and that's where our heroes/movable feast retreat to at some point in the film. Perhaps as a last resort. Cue original recipe Hammond-model T-rex to save the day.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
What if the new dino is a hilariously obvious genetic failure that, while dangerous, is unlikely to survive long? Like, a big-rear end T-rex-looking thing with ingrown claws that are slowly cutting its chest open, and, I don't know, an entire pack of fetal Velociraptors welded onto its left side. It kills at least one character by vomiting its own blood and guts on them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After watching the trailer, I am really excited for this movie. Hopefully it can at least be the 2nd best Jurassic Park movie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Spacebump posted:

After watching the trailer, I am really excited for this movie. Hopefully it can at least be the 2nd best Jurassic Park movie.

It's guaranteed to be THE best Jurassic World movie at least.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Darko posted:

They're saving that for the eventual money shot of Official Trailer #3. Can't blow your load right away man.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

wordsauce posted:

During production there were several images released (via Twitter, I believe) of things from the original JP, like the dock sign and the T-rex-crushed old school jeep. I thought it was for nostalgia but now I wonder if the restricted area on the map is the original site from JP and that's where our heroes/movable feast retreat to at some point in the film. Perhaps as a last resort. Cue original recipe Hammond-model T-rex to save the day.
Also judging by the viral marketing http://www.masraniglobal.com/about/divisions/jurassicworld/index.html

There seems to be a volcano on the island to the north so that's also a reason why it's probably closed down

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Darko posted:

Don't insult Gremlins 2 like that!

DominoDancing posted:

This looks like a loving Asylum movie. And I for one am not someone who enjoys that crap. You guys have fun with this one, it's just that now I have to pray that at least the Star Wars trailer doesn't disappoint me.

The CG here is a bit much. What made Jurassic Park 1 work was the seamless mix of CG AND Practical effects. This looks ALL CG which is a big mistake. Cracked recently did a nifty video about the CG/Practical behind the scenes
http://www.cracked.com/video_19182_14-movie-special-effects-you-wont-believe-werent-cgi.html

Jurassic Park is a near perfect movie in a lot of respects:
1. When the characters experience awe in the dinosaurs for the first time- so does the audience. We don't fully see the bracheasaurus or any dinosaur until Grant does.
2. Most of the violence is left "up to the imagination". Excluding the lawyer getting eaten- Every death is off-screen and made better for it.
3. The opening character introductions are pitch perfect. The first 20 minutes are all about introducing the characters and each time a new character is met- everything you need to know about that character is made from their first scene.

Thinking about it, the Lost World is a lot like the Matrix Reloaded. We wanted to spend more time in that world -- and got exactly that. Unfortunately there was no audience surrogate who we could relate to.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 26, 2014

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

achillesforever6 posted:

Also judging by the viral marketing http://www.masraniglobal.com/about/divisions/jurassicworld/index.html

There seems to be a volcano on the island to the north so that's also a reason why it's probably closed down

Also, don't forget the line about "InGen security" protecting construction workers from "native wildlife"...

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I like 3 better than 2 for the simple reason that 3 is just kinda dumb and unambitious, whereas 2 actively goes out of its way to poo poo on the first film.

EDIT: And gently caress the T-Rex; killing it wasn't making GBS threads on the first film. Its death was a dumb scene, but I didn't feel personally insulted by it and if you did you're dumb.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think that Seaworld parody thing looks pretty great? :confused: I don't think an animatronic would've pulled that off somehow better.

I think we need to see more of the Dinosaurs before going "this is too much CG". All three of the Jurassic Park movies used both CG and practical effects, I see no reason to think this one won't.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I like 3 better than 2 for the simple reason that 3 is just kinda dumb and unambitious, whereas 2 actively goes out of its way to poo poo on the first film.

What how

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

2 makes fun of 1 and parts of it (and the dumb book), just like Gremlins 2 does the same with 1. It doesn't "poo poo" on it, it just makes light of certain things, and puts a self aware audience member (Malcom) in the center of the film.

3, I don't know what the hell 3 is, and the pacing/buildup is as bad as good as the other two are.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LaughMyselfTo posted:

What if the new dino is a hilariously obvious genetic failure that, while dangerous, is unlikely to survive long? Like, a big-rear end T-rex-looking thing with ingrown claws that are slowly cutting its chest open, and, I don't know, an entire pack of fetal Velociraptors welded onto its left side. It kills at least one character by vomiting its own blood and guts on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVzHF1mBjTY&t=55s

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I think that Seaworld parody thing looks pretty great? :confused: I don't think an animatronic would've pulled that off somehow better.

Of course it looks good. Using an animatronic sea monster to jump out of the water like that would be a terrible idea with CG available. It would look awful and there's no way a mega budget modern film would use animatronics in that way. Very predictable that the CG vs. practical effects complaints have started already though.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Wandle Cax posted:

Of course it looks good. Using an animatronic sea monster to jump out of the water like that would be a terrible idea with CG available. It would look awful and there's no way a mega budget modern film would use animatronics in that way. Very predictable that the CG vs. practical effects complaints have started already though.

When the effects on the sequel aren't par with the 20 year-old original something is wrong. :colbert:

See also: The Thing (2011)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Darko posted:

2 makes fun of 1 and parts of it (and the dumb book), just like Gremlins 2 does the same with 1. It doesn't "poo poo" on it, it just makes light of certain things, and puts a self aware audience member (Malcom) in the center of the film.

3, I don't know what the hell 3 is, and the pacing/buildup is as bad as good as the other two are.

JP3 is a bad Horror Movie where instead of Jason and Freddy you have Spinofucker and raptor chodes. JP3 had like no point to it other than "Look here's Sam Niel again! Look Dinos! Now run and be scared like the first one!"

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I understand them not going with multicolored feathers because of how iconic the Jurassic Park takes on the velociraptor and t-rex and such are. But man I would kill to see a dinosaur movie that rolls with that.

Yeah, I think feathered dinos look loving boss.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
Judging from the trailer it seems like this franchise is about to go full retard. A "genetically-hybrid-super-killer-dinosaur" and a squad of raptors apparently helping humans to hunt it down and kill it? Are you loving kidding me?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Why are people so upset about the raptors, if I was building a park I would probably want to train them too so maybe they wouldn't go around killing every single person they come across. Things that intelligent with that kind of mean streak/sadism should not left to their own devices.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am fairly certain the engineered dino reveal is that it has chameleon like abilities. The big bad in the second book was a dinosaur that had chameleon genes and was basically invisible if it didn't move (get it?) And I always wondered why that has never made it into one of the films as it seems such an obvious direction to go.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Vaall posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

No. It is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
The trailer looks like someone spent an afternoon on the couch watching Jurassic Park and Deep Blue Sea back to back and I love that cheesy poo poo so much.

I don't care if everything else about it sucks, just those scenes of the park with the slowed down theme are enough to give me chills. Just the park looks so much loving better than I, as a kid, could ever imagine.

And then it gets better because the dinosaurs escape and eat people again, loving again, they didn't learn poo poo from the first three movies, did they.

And then it will get even better because at the end the raptors AND the rex will attack the new dinosaur as it stands poised to eat Chris Pratt's pretty little face off.

empty sea fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 26, 2014

• Locked thread