Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

oddium posted:

Is the hybrid dinosaur really named Diablosaurus Rex because that owns

Hermanos! Come, the devil has built himself a dinosaur!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vaall posted:

Judging from the trailer it seems like this franchise is about to go full retard. A "genetically-hybrid-super-killer-dinosaur" and a squad of raptors apparently helping humans to hunt it down and kill it? Are you loving kidding me?

No one's joking around here. Raptor squad is the poo poo.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I hope they don't show the T-Rex in any of the trailers. I want to see it in the theater, and be seven again.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm loving down for this. Yeah it might be dumb but it can't be worse than JP3 man. JP 3 was loving bullshit and just awful the whole way through.

Also don't give a poo poo about the t.rex if he comes out and saves the day. Just want to see how the park is run for real for a bit and then new dino wrecking poo poo, and Chris Pratt and his raptor crew.

So down.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I hope they also go hogwild in bringing stuff back from the dead, I want an aquarium full of Cambrian organisms, I want a trilobite touch tank (mainly because it would make old research adviser/prof happy) and a greenhouse with Carboniferous Period insects. Have kids riding 10 ft long millipedes drat it!!! :argh:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vaall posted:

Judging from the trailer it seems like this franchise is about to go full retard. A "genetically-hybrid-super-killer-dinosaur" and a squad of raptors apparently helping humans to hunt it down and kill it? Are you loving kidding me?

And why wouldn't you be able to train a raptor?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I'm excited. Loved the theme at the end, and the shot of Howard with the flare looked siiick. The logo being brushed metal with 90s-as-hell typography will never not be dumb though

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Wandle Cax posted:

And why wouldn't you be able to train a raptor?

Because uh uh uh they're evil!!! :mad:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Darko posted:

3, I don't know what the hell 3 is, and the pacing/buildup is as bad as good as the other two are.

I loved Sam Neill in JP3 because Alan Grant wanted to be back on that island about as much as I wanted to stay in my theatre seat.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

The only issue with the CGI is that it looks a little rough. I have to assume it isn't final. Not worried about that.

I just really hope those Chris Pratt lines play better in context. His performance just feels stiff and weird. He sounds like he might burst into tears when he says to evacuate the island.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

quote:

Twenty-two years after the events of Jurassic Park, Isla Nublar now features a fully functioning dinosaur theme park, Jurassic World, as originally envisioned by John Hammond. This new park is owned by the Masrani Corporation. Owen (Chris Pratt), a member of Jurassic World's on-site staff, conducts behavioral research on the Velociraptors. After many years, Jurassic World's attendance rates begin to decline and a new attraction, created to re-spark visitor interest, gravely backfires.

I'm sorry but I can't take this movie premise seriously... There is no way attendance would decline at a theme park of real dinosaurs. I would go there every year. Gonna have to pass on this one!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ApexAftermath posted:

He sounds like he might burst into tears when he says to evacuate the island.

To be fair, he is on an island where everything has gone to poo poo. With dinosaurs.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
God I hope they've used Muldoon's DNA in the making of the hybrid to explain its hunting skills.

Get me to June NOW!!!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

D-Pad posted:

I am fairly certain the engineered dino reveal is that it has chameleon like abilities. The big bad in the second book was a dinosaur that had chameleon genes and was basically invisible if it didn't move (get it?) And I always wondered why that has never made it into one of the films as it seems such an obvious direction to go.

The twist would be that the chameleon dinosaur was secretly in the background of every shot thus far.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The twist would be that the chameleon dinosaur was secretly in the background of every shot thus far.

This would be awesome, loving hell why hasn't any horror movie done this. Closest thing I can think of is Uzumaki which has hidden spirals all over the place.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Vaall posted:

Have you not seen any movies made in the last 5 years? Full retard is the new standard.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jerkface posted:

I'm sorry but I can't take this movie premise seriously... There is no way attendance would decline at a theme park of real dinosaurs. I would go there every year. Gonna have to pass on this one!

Several people have said this and I can't tell it they're being serious.

That's such a weird reason to not see a movie. It's all about whether or not they make the plot believable within the framework of the world they set up. It is not inconceivable to me their their target demographic (rich people) have become used to the dinosaurs and attendance begins leveling off or declining. Throw in a few irresponsible executive/investor types desperate to increase profits. They visit the park and find out Wu and his scientists have the ability to essentially create a new dinosaur by splicing together genes of existing dinosaurs, and the leap to "let's create a new dinosaur to get people interested in the park again" isn't hard for me to believe.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

They could also play off the Seaworld angle where it came out maybe giant animals need more room to move around. If there's a public shift in opinion like that, it could start to tank your business, especially if your animals cost a huge amount to maintain.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I hope Child Protagonist only got a ticket because it was Gennaro Memorial Coupon Day

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I'm getting kind of tired of the "evil/reckless scientists wreak havoc with their creations" cliche. How about a drama about awesome scientists struggling to friggin' clone dinosaurs against all odds? Nope, we need a fourth movie where the dinosaurs break out and try to eat annoying kids.

E: The giant aquatic beastie was pretty baller though.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 26, 2014

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

I'm getting kind of tired of the "evil/reckless scientists wreak havoc with their creations" cliche. How about a drama about awesome scientists struggling to friggin' clone dinosaurs against all odds? Nope, we need a fourth movie where the dinosaurs break out and try to eat annoying kids.

How about a drama about you struggling to make a good post against all odds?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

oddium posted:

I hope Child Protagonist only got a ticket because it was Gennaro Memorial Coupon Day

This has to happen.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mr.48 posted:

They made this movie already. It's a few minutes long and it's the Dino DNA thing in the first movie so we don't have to suffer through an hour and a half of dorks in lab coats pulling blood out if a mosquito's butthole

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

D-Pad posted:

I am fairly certain the engineered dino reveal is that it has chameleon like abilities. The big bad in the second book was a dinosaur that had chameleon genes and was basically invisible if it didn't move (get it?) And I always wondered why that has never made it into one of the films as it seems such an obvious direction to go.

It at least made it to Sega's The Lost World gun game that was out at arcades soon after the movie.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everything in this trailer just seemed tremendously uninspired to me, from the quality of the CGI to all I've come to know of the plot. Such a pointless series reboot, but at least it probably won't stop people from going to see it anyway and at a later point complaining about the lack of originality in Hollywood.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Apparently the gate is an actual real physical object, yet it looks as otherworldy CG as the rest of the special effects?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Honest Thief posted:

Apparently the gate is an actual real physical object, yet it looks as otherworldy CG as the rest of the special effects?

Just because it's a physical object doesn't mean it isn't CG in that shot.

The worst CGI is the dead shark, because they could've easily used a model for that and it has no weight to it at all. Also the Mosasaur is way too big, it just looks dumb.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Honest Thief posted:

In the film, the trailer shot is CGI because it's a trailer shot

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

PriorMarcus posted:

Just because it's a physical object doesn't mean it isn't CG in that shot.

The worst CGI is the dead shark, because they could've easily used a model for that and it has no weight to it at all. Also the Mosasaur is way too big, it just looks dumb.

It kinda seems like an 80ft sea monster that could leap out of the water and take out the first dozen rows of spectators over the barrier is pretty unsafe. Don't worry though, I'm sure it's a directorial masterstroke to demonstrate the inherent instabilities of any system that attempts to control engineered monsters for the entertainment of the well-to-do burgeosie consumer culture. And so on and so forth.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

exquisite tea posted:

Everything in this trailer just seemed tremendously uninspired to me, from the quality of the CGI to all I've come to know of the plot.

It's trailer CGI, they almost always suck in the first trailer since they're still working on post.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Everything in this trailer just seemed tremendously uninspired to me, from the quality of the CGI to all I've come to know of the plot. Such a pointless series reboot, but at least it probably won't stop people from going to see it anyway and at a later point complaining about the lack of originality in Hollywood.

There are reasons why the CGI is so lackluster

https://np.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/2ndx0r/the_full_jurassic_world_trailer/cmcs22y

the tl;dr version.

1. Trailer shots are typically a rush with the SFX guys just getting a call from marketing to push X Y and Z shots out asap.

2. The original jurrassic park benefited in part of people not knowing whether what they were doing was possible or not. Nowadays CGI is taken for granted, meaning more ambitious shots (the original used tricks to hide the CGI, where a modern film will just go balls out) and kind of "gently caress it, CGI is magic" attitude towards how much effort and manhours good CGI actually takes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Then why even show those big effect shots at all if they're going to look like junk. Who watches this trailer with plasticene dinos apparently modeled in Unreal 3 and goes "aha yes, I am thoroughly excited for this movie now."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

They're not trying to convince people to see a movie half a year from now, they're telling people it exists

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Millions of advertising dollars spent, big Thanksgiving Day reveal just to let folks know hey, this lovely-looking movie exists. Keep it on your radar.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

Going back to JP3 I just want to say that this really vindicates my childhood hatred of that movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LlkiA7_H5M
(If you have the time watch it, really interesting doc plus it has my curator of the Carnegie Museum where I volunteer in the public paleolab)

But yeah gently caress you JP3 Spinosaurus you think you were all the poo poo, but this is what you really looked like

Just a top heavy, giant, webbed foot, aquatic dinosaur; T-Rex would have kicked your rear end :argh:

Really if Jack Horner really wanted to make a "Super-predator" to kill T-Rex he should have gone with Carcharodontosaurus which literally means "Great White Shark Toothed Lizard"

Literally the first thing I thought of when I saw that pic was Jaws, so Jaws as dinosaur would be even more awesome.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

exquisite tea posted:

Millions of advertising dollars spent, big Thanksgiving Day reveal just to let folks know hey, this lovely-looking movie exists. Keep it on your radar.

You either have an amazing eye or are really analyzing the trailer because it looks fine, especially when it's going to be seen out of the corner of someones eye during Dinner or in the haze of a food coma between football games.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought it looked pretty bad too, but I think a lot of CGI looks bad in big blockbuster movies these days

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Then why even show those big effect shots at all if they're going to look like junk. Who watches this trailer with plasticene dinos apparently modeled in Unreal 3 and goes "aha yes, I am thoroughly excited for this movie now."

The people complaining about the effects are still gonna see this movie.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mercury Hat posted:

They could also play off the Seaworld angle where it came out maybe giant animals need more room to move around. If there's a public shift in opinion like that, it could start to tank your business, especially if your animals cost a huge amount to maintain.

I can think of several reasons that jurassic park might not have a great reputation with the population in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

exquisite tea posted:

Man, all those people that go to the theater this holiday weekend to see it sure are going to feel foolish!

• Locked thread