Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's also really weird for having a single line plot point that goes loving nowhere but is the most interesting thing in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

PriorMarcus posted:

It's also really weird for having a single line plot point that goes loving nowhere but is the most interesting thing in the film.

Care to share?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
edit: Ah gently caress it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 27, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vaall posted:

Thats what it looked like in the movie so I don't understand your point.

And I liked JP3 more than the Lost World. It had Sam Neil back and the amount of redshirts in the Lost World getting owned got old real quick. Not to mention that LA bullshit.
I don't know, I love the Don't Go In The Long Grass scene. Also gently caress the haters the T-Rex in San Diego is great. :colbert:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The problem with The Lost World is that it was a sequel to Jurassic Park, that along with Jaws is one of those few perfect movies.

That isn't to say The Lost World is great or anything, but it is pretty entertaining and fun.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The t-rex in san diego IS great and so is the t-rex roaring infront of the backdrop of the city and so is everyone in the boat somehow torn to pieces by the t-rex that was inside the big cargo hold

Every scene from the Lost World is great. The Lost World is great.

Well, the scene where the daughter beats a raptor by doing gymnastics is pretty whatever but

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's when they first see the Spinosaurus and Alan Grant starts pondering it's existence, nothing that it wasn't created by inGen. This is never brought up again in the entire film despite being a big loving deal presumably.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
It's really dumb that the scariest dinos of the first film have been whittled down so that Chris Pratt can hang out with them

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

vainman posted:

It's really dumb that the scariest dinos of the first film have been whittled down so that Chris Pratt can hang out with them

It's awesome as hell actually

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

vainman posted:

Do you people just not get how likable he is? Raptors are smart enough to see that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Jurassic Park III is basically Galaxy Quest. It's about Sam Neill, the artist, coming to terms with the fact that he will forever be known as 'the jurassic park guy'.

The only trouble with this premise is that it's based on the idea that Jurassic Park is somehow a disreputable film. They compensate by having him literally roped into a mercenary sequel, but that leads into some unfortunate 'ha ha it's bad on purpose' humor.

The thing is, though, that this is absolutely no different from The Lost World. They just replaced Jeff Goldblum's wry detachment with Sam Neill's Orson Welles/Alec Guinness contempt for the material. There's also, I suppose, a difference in the basic joke: Goldblum is begged into participating in the fiasco by a sad old director who wants to make something socially responsible. Neill, on the other hand, is only on it for the money and a quick vacation - and then can't back out once he's contractually obligated. That all sets a cynical tone that most people can't get past, but the joke is ultimately on the cynics. Like, the villain of the film is basically the embodiment of cynicism.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

vainman posted:

It's really dumb loving sweet that the scariest dinos of the first film have been whittled down so that Chris Pratt can hang out with them

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Nah, it's just a dumb shot that shows dinosaurs aren't dangerous and we can train even the fiercest ones to behave like dogs

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
That kind of reminds me of what happened to Darth Vader or the Xenomorphs: holy poo poo, were they scary at first but they ended up being normalized due to people liking and wanting to see them so much.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

If riding a motorcycle through a forest while flanked by your own personal Raptor Pack isn't cool then I'm no longer with It. They've changed what It is

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oddium posted:

If riding a motorcycle through a forest while flanked by your own personal Raptor Pack isn't cool then I'm no longer with It. They've changed what It is

"It" is being a whiny baby about something you saw as an 8 year old.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

vainman posted:

Nah, it's just a dumb sweet shot that shows dinosaurs aren't dangerous and we can train even the fiercest ones to behave like dogs

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

vainman posted:

Nah, it's just a dumb shot that shows dinosaurs aren't dangerous and we can train even the fiercest ones to behave like dogs

I wonder if humans ever did this before.

With wolves.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I have no problem with the trained velociraptors because I find the idea cool and I also have no doubt that they will be eating people by the end of the film. This is a Jurrasic Park film and there was a part in the trailer with one of the kids hiding from a raptor so...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Jurassic Park III is basically Galaxy Quest. It's about Sam Neill, the artist, coming to terms with the fact that he will forever be known as 'the jurassic park guy'.

The only trouble with this premise is that it's based on the idea that Jurassic Park is somehow a disreputable film. They compensate by having him literally roped into a mercenary sequel, but that leads into some unfortunate 'ha ha it's bad on purpose' humor.

The thing is, though, that this is absolutely no different from The Lost World. They just replaced Jeff Goldblum's wry detachment with Sam Neill's Orson Welles/Alec Guinness contempt for the material. There's also, I suppose, a difference in the basic joke: Goldblum is begged into participating in the fiasco by a sad old director who wants to make something socially responsible. Neill, on the other hand, is only on it for the money and a quick vacation - and then can't back out once he's contractually obligated. That all sets a cynical tone that most people can't get past, but the joke is ultimately on the cynics. Like, the villain of the film is basically the embodiment of cynicism.
Yeah Sam was in it for the money since his winery costs him a lot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

By the way for those worried about it (I thought everything in the trailer looked fine but), here's a bit from Jurassic World's director on twitter:

So that shot and I imagine a lot of the big sweeping park shots you see in the trailer were probably made specifically for the trailer

edit:

:allears:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 27, 2014

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That was the dumbest movie trailer I've ever seen. It's like they are trying to cash in on that Sharknado demographic.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pycckuu posted:

That was the dumbest movie trailer I've ever seen. It's like they are trying to cash in on that Sharknado demographic.

You realize what all those SyFy mockbuster shark movies are riffing on, right?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Gammatron 64 posted:

JP3 just didn't do anything interesting. It was just a bunch of people trying to escape the island and there wasn't much plot beyond that. The movie was a letdown because it just didn't try to do anything.

This is why I like 3 better than 2. I like an ambitious movie that succeeds most of all, but I'd rather have an unambitious movie than a movie that fails in its ambitions.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

It's when they first see the Spinosaurus and Alan Grant starts pondering it's existence, nothing that it wasn't created by inGen. This is never brought up again in the entire film despite being a big loving deal presumably.

That sounds like one of those things that got left in when a plot line got taken out in case they get another sequel. In Jurassic World we have another company running the park. It's possible they had already taken over by JP3 but were under the radar and just dumping dinos on the island.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I don't know if i'm going to be calling Chris Pratt's character the "Raptor Wrangler" or the "Raptor Ranger" from now on.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

LaughMyselfTo posted:

This is why I like 3 better than 2. I like an ambitious movie that succeeds most of all, but I'd rather have an unambitious movie than a movie that fails in its ambitions.

When I was a kid I liked 2 more than 3 because it's the one with a T. Rex rampaging through a city, but on rewatching I realize it's not as coherent as 3. Sure the plot of 3 about some people looking for their kid doesn't have a very wide scope, but at least it's not the insane pile of colliding motives that is The Lost World. A lot of the second book, and to some extent movie, is just about addressing criticisms and trying to keep the science current. There's some references in The Lost World book about scientists wanting to reclassify Deinonychus antirrhopus as a subspecies of Velociraptor, hence the raptors are actually the right size but only the name is wrong. There's plenty of other stuff, but that one really stands out. It fits neatly into the book but you'd need a really ham-handed scene to cover anything like that in the movie, which is why The Lost World kind of struggles.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I don't even really hate JP3 per se, I just think it's kind of boring and mediocre. The Lost World is most definitely flawed, but it's pretty entertaining and tries something new. JP3 is just Sam Neil and a bickering family running from dinosaurs again.

The mysterious origin of the Spinosaurus and Dr. Grant's sidekick stealing raptor eggs were both plot points that could have been interesting, but they just didn't do much of anything with them. Where did the Spinosaurus come from? Is InGen still breeding dinosaurs? Is some other company with questionable ethics trying to breed them? What if raptor eggs got brought back to the mainland? I don't care about the family squabbles of a few unlikable characters, and I think most people in the audience didn't, either.

This new movie looks extremely dumb... but hey, at least it's trying.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

D-Pad posted:

That sounds like one of those things that got left in when a plot line got taken out in case they get another sequel. In Jurassic World we have another company running the park. It's possible they had already taken over by JP3 but were under the radar and just dumping dinos on the island.

PriorMarcus is mistaken; the Spinosaurus was created by InGen, but wasn't officially listed because it was a failed experimental project or something.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
"People losing their wonder in science and taking it for granted? In a park full of DINOSAURS?! Yeah, right!"

"Bah! This unfinished CGI looks terrible! Those dinosaurs are soo fake! Better luck next time, movie!"

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

User-Friendly posted:

"People losing their wonder in science and taking it for granted? In a park full of DINOSAURS?! Yeah, right!"

"Bah! This unfinished CGI looks terrible! Those dinosaurs are soo fake! Better luck next time, movie!"

Thank you for putting this into words.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
I liked the trailer and am looking forward to this movie, Jurassic World.

edit:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Someone please post that comparison of the Guardians of the Galaxy first trailer and the final release trailer.

Misandrist Duck fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 27, 2014

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

PriorMarcus posted:

Heh, interesting.

Macaluso posted:

By the way for those worried about it (I thought everything in the trailer looked fine but), here's a bit from Jurassic World's director on twitter:

So that shot and I imagine a lot of the big sweeping park shots you see in the trailer were probably made specifically for the trailer

I can just hear Trevorrow muttering "Fuckin' internet nerds" as he posts that.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

hiddenriverninja posted:

I don't know if i'm going to be calling Chris Pratt's character the "Raptor Wrangler" or the "Raptor Ranger" from now on.

Look out, Raptor Ranger Wrecking Crew coming through

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I prefer practical effects because the internet told me I hate CGI. I like to critique trailer CGI because I'm a giant spergy pedant. If I were unable to share my uninformed views on CGI with the internet I'd never be project the illusion that I have actual opinions.

I exist on a TVTropes level of reading comprehension. I believe story ideas and plots can be stupid unto themselves and aren't reliant on execution. I have opinions, world. I am alive, and I can be hurt, but in fact the pain does not come from CGI but from being a vapid mindless nerd incapable of analytical thought. I have ruined my capactiy to enjoy things for their own merits. I must make judgements without information. If I don't tell people what sucks they'll think I'm some kind of plebe who actually likes things.

I am goon. Hear me *fart*

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I prefer practical effects because the internet told me I hate CGI. I like to critique trailer CGI because I'm a giant spergy pedant. If I were unable to share my uninformed views on CGI with the internet I'd never be project the illusion that I have actual opinions.

I exist on a TVTropes level of reading comprehension. I believe story ideas and plots can be stupid unto themselves and aren't reliant on execution. I have opinions, world. I am alive, and I can be hurt, but in fact the pain does not come from CGI but from being a vapid mindless nerd incapable of analytical thought. I have ruined my capactiy to enjoy things for their own merits. I must make judgements without information. If I don't tell people what sucks they'll think I'm some kind of plebe who actually likes things.

I am goon. Hear me *fart*

This post makes you sound like the exact sort of thing you're criticizing.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
Trailer looks poo poo.

Movie will be poo poo.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

electricsugar posted:

Trailer looks poo poo.

Movie will be poo poo.

To give this line of argument credit, you can't rationally argue with it.

Movie looks like it'll be awesome btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

electricsugar posted:

Trailer looks poo poo.

Movie will be poo poo.

This post is poo poo.

• Locked thread