Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The fact that we have recently found out that Spinosaurus was primarily a quadrupedal, aquatic, fish eating dinosaur really vindicates my childhood since I knew that T-Rex losing that fight was bullshit. Also bullshit is that the movie didn't end with the two T-Rexes from the TLW coming out and avenging the death of its child. (Yeah apparently that T-Rex was the baby T-Rex from TLW grown up)

I'm hyped for this movie man; its basically going back to the days when I played Zoo Tycoon Dinosaur Digs or Jurassic Park Operation Genesis and watching me get bored and deciding to kill all the guests by destroying/blocking the exits and letting the dinosaurs out of their enclosures :unsmigghh:

Also cool to see a marine reptile in this franchise, they are really interesting creatures.

Finally don't care if its goofy, a pack of tamed raptors is badass as hell! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

He is, in fact I think we can hear him in the trailer briefly too when Chris Pratt's character talks about the claw marks. Wu was awesome in the book, and deserved more than what he got in the first film so I'm psyched he's back for this.
He also deserved more in the book too

Veks posted:

Yeah, they could've at least made the Gallimimus feathered. But anyways, getting hyped as gently caress :pcgaming:
I want this to kind of be the reason why attendance is slumping is because the park is getting denounced a lot by Paleontologists for presenting inaccurate dinosaurs. Basically calling out Jurassic Park as like a massive Creationist Museum Theme Park.

Stare-Out posted:

You are my kind of guy. This whole post is my kind of post. I don't have much love for Jurassic Park III for a lot of reasons, but I still watch it from time to time. I'm a sucker for actors reprising their roles for sequels and so far Jurassic Park movies have gone 3 for 3 without recasting which is great. It still thrills me a tiny bit to see Sam Neill as Alan Grant in JP3 and somehow the fact that they got BD Wong to reprise his role as Henry Wu in JW blows my mind for how smart it was.
I love Sam Neill because he gave a life to the character of Dr. Grant that immediately resonated with me at the age of 5. (I immediately knew I wanted to be a paleontologist after seeing JP) Much better than the novel version since movie Dr. Grant has an actual arc.

I didn't really like Sam Neill in JP3, his character was kind of bitter and had changed his opinions from JP where he called the dinosaurs "animals" to JP3 where he is calling them "genetic monsters".

Also I want there to be a cameo scene of Jeff Goldblum watching CNN from his apt as the park is in flames and starts to :smug:ly smile as the headlines read "Jurassic World in Chaos"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Going back to JP3 I just want to say that this really vindicates my childhood hatred of that movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LlkiA7_H5M
(If you have the time watch it, really interesting doc plus it has my curator of the Carnegie Museum where I volunteer in the public paleolab)

But yeah gently caress you JP3 Spinosaurus you think you were all the poo poo, but this is what you really looked like

Just a top heavy, giant, webbed foot, aquatic dinosaur; T-Rex would have kicked your rear end :argh:

Really if Jack Horner really wanted to make a "Super-predator" to kill T-Rex he should have gone with Carcharodontosaurus which literally means "Great White Shark Toothed Lizard"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

theironjef posted:

To be fair, a massive crocodile with extra accoutrement would be pretty cool in any other situation besides fighting a T-Rex. Have that thing just menacing a group of survivors in zodiac rafts? Get out of town that would be amazing. If they want to kill a T-Rex they could go with their new Mosasaur though which has to be somewhere between two and three t-rexes long.
Its kind of funny how the final "battle" with it in JP3 is actually pretty accurate with how it lived as a swimming dinosaur.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

No joke the scene in JP3 where the Spinosaurus just chills at the edge of the jungle and looks at Grant & Co. for a while before attacking is pretty slick.
The best part is also that the cell phone ringtone is still audible even though its in the colon of that giant dinosaur

Crain posted:

Let's just establish right now what the second and third movies were really missing. The real reason they suck compared to the first Jurassic Park.

They neither had a character as awesome as Robert Muldoon nor a death scene as bad rear end as his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5wryDdEI0

Jurassic World might be on the right track with Pratt"s character, but they need a truly bad rear end death scene with equally quotable final words.

Jurassic World needs a "Clever Girl".
That and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clU0Sh9ngmY

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

Roland Tembo is also a total white knight.
He also defeated a bull T-Rex with just a rifle with a tranq dart... while on foot :stare:

They got rid of this scene just because they didn't want him too likable

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

wordsauce posted:

During production there were several images released (via Twitter, I believe) of things from the original JP, like the dock sign and the T-rex-crushed old school jeep. I thought it was for nostalgia but now I wonder if the restricted area on the map is the original site from JP and that's where our heroes/movable feast retreat to at some point in the film. Perhaps as a last resort. Cue original recipe Hammond-model T-rex to save the day.
Also judging by the viral marketing http://www.masraniglobal.com/about/divisions/jurassicworld/index.html

There seems to be a volcano on the island to the north so that's also a reason why it's probably closed down

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Why are people so upset about the raptors, if I was building a park I would probably want to train them too so maybe they wouldn't go around killing every single person they come across. Things that intelligent with that kind of mean streak/sadism should not left to their own devices.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I hope they also go hogwild in bringing stuff back from the dead, I want an aquarium full of Cambrian organisms, I want a trilobite touch tank (mainly because it would make old research adviser/prof happy) and a greenhouse with Carboniferous Period insects. Have kids riding 10 ft long millipedes drat it!!! :argh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ApexAftermath posted:

I just really hope those Chris Pratt lines play better in context. His performance just feels stiff and weird. He sounds like he might burst into tears when he says to evacuate the island.
He knows how hosed this park is when this is all over, why must these movies end with the Park closing down forever, why can it be they solve the problem and everything goes back to normal.

I bet this poo poo starts because some Animal Liberation Front/Greenpeace assholes let the new death dinosaur escape because the dinosaurs are ruining the population of the unique indigenous wildlife. Screw the Isla Nublar deer, no one goes to this tiny island to see them, they come to see dinosaurs drat it! :argh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ijyt posted:

As a palaeontologist, you guys complaining about accuracy in a movie about genetically modified monsters are just the worst.
Especially since most of these dinosaurs would be out of breath due to the atmosphere of the Mesozoic being about 10% (I think) more Oxygen rich than it is today :goonsay:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Had the best Hammond monologues too

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Vaall posted:

Thats what it looked like in the movie so I don't understand your point.

And I liked JP3 more than the Lost World. It had Sam Neil back and the amount of redshirts in the Lost World getting owned got old real quick. Not to mention that LA bullshit.
I don't know, I love the Don't Go In The Long Grass scene. Also gently caress the haters the T-Rex in San Diego is great. :colbert:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Jurassic Park III is basically Galaxy Quest. It's about Sam Neill, the artist, coming to terms with the fact that he will forever be known as 'the jurassic park guy'.

The only trouble with this premise is that it's based on the idea that Jurassic Park is somehow a disreputable film. They compensate by having him literally roped into a mercenary sequel, but that leads into some unfortunate 'ha ha it's bad on purpose' humor.

The thing is, though, that this is absolutely no different from The Lost World. They just replaced Jeff Goldblum's wry detachment with Sam Neill's Orson Welles/Alec Guinness contempt for the material. There's also, I suppose, a difference in the basic joke: Goldblum is begged into participating in the fiasco by a sad old director who wants to make something socially responsible. Neill, on the other hand, is only on it for the money and a quick vacation - and then can't back out once he's contractually obligated. That all sets a cynical tone that most people can't get past, but the joke is ultimately on the cynics. Like, the villain of the film is basically the embodiment of cynicism.
Yeah Sam was in it for the money since his winery costs him a lot.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

LordOfThePants posted:

Apparently the new dinosaur called the D-Rex may have been spoiled by some Lego sets:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/jurassic-world-dinosaur-hybrid-d-rex-revealed-lego-set-points-new-dinosaurs-and-395448

Some speculation on the velociraptors there too.
It also has been leaked from some French site

http://i.imgur.com/9usfTRS.jpg

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

echoplex posted:

If that's how it actually looks, that doesn't seem to be too XTREME DINOROAR or anything, so that's cool.
It looks like a Carnotaurus without the stubby little arms that made T-Rex arm's look long

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Bizarro Watt posted:

The leaked D-Rex concept is a fake:

Aww drat it now its probably going to look dumb :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

This is an ability that makes no sense for a tourist attraction.
Could be pretty great when you think you are in a jungle all alone until boom T-Rex size carnivore out of nowhere!!!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Website is up
http://www.jurassicworld.com/

God I love viral marketing

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I want to know how exactly that tank for the mosasarus exhibit works. I thought it was going to be that they have it living out in a cove, but then again you probably don't want to give it a chance to escape into the wild. Maybe they just found a really deep sinkhole and filled it with water.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I'm guessing that it is a cove, and they've dammed up the access to the ocean so it can't get out. At some point in the movie the dam's gonna open... :getin:
No judging by the map its a man made thing in the island

http://www.jurassicworld.com/park-map/

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Darko posted:

This movie needs Lou Gosset Jr. running the place.
Ray Arnold Jr. who is actually just Sam Jackson again

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If1aP51aqcE
Hilton Isla Nublar ad :allears:

Interesting interview with the director that explains a lot of the things going on in the movie
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/11/29/jurassic-world-director-talks-new-dinos-raptor-training-and-more/

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SirDrone posted:

I hope this results in Operation Genesis V2 or even a freaking Lego Jurassic Park game, and to be super optimistic Trespasser V2.
Operation Genesis could have been so much better than it was, I mean seriously they limited the game so much by putting caps on everything!

At least you can mod the files to get rid of those caps though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

We better get some kinda bad rear end dinosaur survival horror game out of this, though, doesn't even have to be JP themed, just get 'dinosaurs are fuckin scary' back in the pool of ideas.
I think the video game world is ready, its been over a decade since that really lovely Turok game on the PS2, I think we can have fun games with dinosaurs again

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

I know this is from a couple pages back, but I am delighted how everything except the raptor hands on that wooden kiosk are actual JP toys rebranded from the previous movie lines. Fantastic.

I want to see some of the merch from the ice cream scene in the first movie to show up now; I don't care how outdated that stuff is; have a "Jurassic Park Classic" section to explain it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

No...NO! Please! Please don...

drat.
Its kind of weird honestly to find myself liking the posts SMG posts about Jurassic Park.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

If they brought back Tim, they should have him played by his original actor, he's still doing acting gigs right? I know Lex's actor is a painter.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

Nothing near big enough to justify headlining this kind of movie
Well I don't think Pratt's character is Tim personally, I wouldn't mind if Tim showed up though

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I once ran into Pete Postlethwaite on a rainy Manchester winter afternoon in 2004 or so. My mind went completely blank and the only film I could remember he was in was The Lost World. I told him he was great in it, but he just shot me a dirty look and walked off without replying.
See I would imagine this would have been the look I would have gotten from Juilianne Moore when she was sitting near me and my aunt at the Pittsburgh Zoo food court. I would have been genuine too because I legit like The Lost World almost as much as the original :shobon:

I mean there are worse movies that Pete Postlethwaite was in, you could have said "Hey man you were great in Dragonheart! :buddy:" (wouldn't be wrong either since he's good in Dragonheart)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Octy posted:

Even the environmentalist photographer? I rewatched it this afternoon and initially I was groaning at the idea of Vince Vaughn in a movie, but his character was actually okay in the end. Malcolm's kid, though...
He's the worst and the reason that everyone gets hosed in the first place.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah but you realize everyone has to get hosed for there to be a movie.
That is true, but he comes off as a douche, though because of him Roland has to take down a Bull T-Rex with nothing but a rifle with tranq rounds!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

echoplex posted:

Watching TLW as an adult made me laugh - because the secondary antagonist says "I'm off, laters" right before the climax and then he actually leaves. That's some bold script writing.
I'm kind of happy because any other director would have him killed/eaten by the T-Rex just after he was able to take one down because you see his obsession lead to his death. I'm glad he's not even an antagonist, he never tries to kill the main characters and lives by his rules of honor. They deleted a scene because by having it, Roland would be seen as probably a secondary protagonist.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Sarah's an idiot, or did you think "bring a bleeding child to our only safe shelter so its 40 foot long parents will come for it" was a GOOD idea?
I thought that was Vince Vaughn's character's idea? Of course Sarah didn't just tell him no and drop the loving T-Rex baby.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I think the most interesting part of Jurassic World, from this fan's perspective will be how they managed to make the park successful and up and running flawlessly up until the events of this film, as Crichton's main themes have always been about the perils of genetics and the futurism (whilst making an entertaining story), so it'll be interesting to see how the new film compares to the views he had.
Probably by having a good security system/staff. Not hiring shady fat looking slobs who keep complaining about their pay.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

If for nothing Jurassic World will make for probably a good episode of Half in the Bag

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Muldoon breaking out the HE rockets was a real turning-point in the book, where it went from a theme-park out of control to ohfuckwereallgoingtodiehere. The movie didn't do his character justice, despite how awesome Bob Peck was in it.
And poor Gennaro who was also a badass in the book, but in the movie he got combined with the Ed Regis character

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've actually never gotten around to reading the Jurassic Park book. After reading the Jaws novel and hating it I vowed to never read the source material for beloved childhood movies.

I should fix that I guess.
It should make you feel better that the author really felt bad for writing Jaws and spent the rest of his life trying to help promote shark conservation.

Also I dislike the novel just because while the movie has less technical jargon and awesome action scenes, I really like how Spielberg changed the characters for the movie and find most superior to the novel (except for the aforementioned Gennaro)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

For a guy with the education that he had, Michael Crichton was pretty stupid and believed in a lot of dumb bullshit.

Andromeda Strain, Congo, Jurassic Park, Timeline, and Sphere are the only books of his that I like.

Eaters of the Dead made for a fun movie though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

That and prions which Crichton just read about and so had to dedicate a lot of words in talking about prions and how interesting they are. Also Dr. Grant is such a better character in the movie because he has an actual arc, I mean sure its the typical and cliche Spielberg grumpy 40-50 year old who hates kids, but then learns to like them, but Sam Neill makes it work because he's a great actor. Same for Jeff Goldblum who is playing his typical role, but he's so good and naturalistic that you can't help but love him. I mean who can hate Jeff Goldblum or think he's a bad actor?

• Locked thread