Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
What if the new dino is a hilariously obvious genetic failure that, while dangerous, is unlikely to survive long? Like, a big-rear end T-rex-looking thing with ingrown claws that are slowly cutting its chest open, and, I don't know, an entire pack of fetal Velociraptors welded onto its left side. It kills at least one character by vomiting its own blood and guts on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I like 3 better than 2 for the simple reason that 3 is just kinda dumb and unambitious, whereas 2 actively goes out of its way to poo poo on the first film.

EDIT: And gently caress the T-Rex; killing it wasn't making GBS threads on the first film. Its death was a dumb scene, but I didn't feel personally insulted by it and if you did you're dumb.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Wandle Cax posted:

And why wouldn't you be able to train a raptor?

Because uh uh uh they're evil!!! :mad:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
"Waah, the aquatic reptile is too big! That's not realistic, things don't get that big! Less is more!" That's literally how loving big they were, shut up. I was obsessed with this poo poo when I was a little kid, and the aquatic reptiles were my favorite; I'm ecstatic to see them represented in a Jurassic Park film and I'm even more ecstatic to see them represented accurately in a Jurassic Park film. I'm not certain which species this one is, but eating a great white shark in one bite is completely within the realm of possibility for many of them. Also, giant facilities, particularly ones designed for amusement, are one of my great loves in life, and that loving arena is cool as hell. I will not have you take this away from me because your sense of wonder is screwed on backwards.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Red Bones posted:

I'm taking this away from you goon, the size of the largest mosasaur is estimated at 17m at most, and the one in the trailer has a head about eight and a half metres long. They also didn't have little spines down their backs, and they had that same blue-grey top/white bottom colouration that a lot of big ocean predators do (I think the trailer one might have that a bit though, it's hard to tell). Like I don't really care if the film is inaccurate but if you love this poo poo enough to get all salty about it, you should probably keep up with discoveries in palaeontology instead of relying on what you read in children's books years ago.

The trailer makes the film look like a bland, serious, standard hollywood blockbuster film plot with a vaguely interesting backdrop, so I'm probably not gonna watch it. The original film was a really good movie because all the parts of it worked really well, not just because it had cool dinosaur FX shots. This film doesn't look like it's going to be like that.

*cries in corner about misremembered oversized aquatic reptiles*

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Reference to this in Jurassic World, please.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Gammatron 64 posted:

JP3 just didn't do anything interesting. It was just a bunch of people trying to escape the island and there wasn't much plot beyond that. The movie was a letdown because it just didn't try to do anything.

This is why I like 3 better than 2. I like an ambitious movie that succeeds most of all, but I'd rather have an unambitious movie than a movie that fails in its ambitions.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

User-Friendly posted:

"People losing their wonder in science and taking it for granted? In a park full of DINOSAURS?! Yeah, right!"

"Bah! This unfinished CGI looks terrible! Those dinosaurs are soo fake! Better luck next time, movie!"

Thank you for putting this into words.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

electricsugar posted:

Trailer looks poo poo.

Movie will be poo poo.

To give this line of argument credit, you can't rationally argue with it.

Movie looks like it'll be awesome btw

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Mosasaurus Feeding Show posted:

With feedings every two hours, this predator of the deep will wow you with his massive maw as it gives Jaws his just desserts. Pack a poncho, because the Mosasaurus Feeding Show is one big splash zone. May be disturbing for small children.

:allears:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

achillesforever6 posted:

I want to know how exactly that tank for the mosasarus exhibit works. I thought it was going to be that they have it living out in a cove, but then again you probably don't want to give it a chance to escape into the wild. Maybe they just found a really deep sinkhole and filled it with water.

I'm guessing that it is a cove, and they've dammed up the access to the ocean so it can't get out. At some point in the movie the dam's gonna open... :getin:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

achillesforever6 posted:

No judging by the map its a man made thing in the island

http://www.jurassicworld.com/park-map/

Dammit, I saw the park map and then promptly forgot that the Mosasaur's area was landlocked. How's it gonna get to the ocean now? :saddowns:

EDIT: Jurassic World 2: Free Lio

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 29, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Misandrist Duck posted:

It's also entirely possible that both Chris Pratt and the raptors are running away from something, and it isn't worth their time to stop and eat him.

Wonder what it might be.

People who say things like this bug me, because it's literally already public knowledge that Chris Pratt's character revolves around having successfully tamed raptors. :psyduck:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
IMO, Jurassic Park is nearly a perfect movie. Only flaw that I can pick out of it is that the electric fence scene makes no sense. If the electric fence is powerful enough to deter a dinosaur, then, dramatically speaking, a human being shouldn't be able to survive it. I can think of two alternate possible versions of the same scene that'd make more sense:

1) Tim loving dies. I'm not one of those people who has an irrational hate-boner for child actors; I think Tim and Lex contributed a lot to the movie, but I actually do kinda like this version. It grants more weight to the scene, as well as granting more weight to Lex's character during the final raptor chase - a single terrified young girl evading raptors feels like a much better archetypal character/moment than a pair of siblings in the same situation; it's sort of a "final girl" type thing.

2) Tim successfully climbs down the second before the power comes back on. There's no kind of warning alarm, so the characters have no idea what a close call they made. The only people aware of the danger are the audience, because we intercut between the breaker scene and the fence scene, creating an eerie effect when the movie continues as though nothing happened. This version's not nearly as interesting as the first, but it involves almost no script changes, making it a much simpler change, and it's certainly better than what the movie actually did.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I will never cease to be pissed off at people who criticize the dilophosaurus frills on the basis that they're totally made up - their being totally made up is the entire point. It's pointing out how many regular features of animals would not show up in the fossil record, and therefore how many surprises we'd be likely to receive if we had something other than fossils (like cloning) to go on.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's tied in with the theme of "artificial" family units (Malcolm with his adopted daughter

Wait, what? Yeah, I know she's black and he's white, but I thought she was just supposed to be mixed? Did I misunderstand some dialogue? Malcolm really, really doesn't seem like the kind to adopt a kid.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Octy posted:

Now, the characters in Jurassic Park III (sorry, I mean Juras/i/ /ark) are all obnoxiously awful, except for Alan Grant. 50 minutes in and they're still calling out loudly to each other despite this having led to the deaths of three characters.

Eh, I like 'em. I'd like to think I wouldn't be as dumb as them, and they certainly do immoral things, but I've never gotten the complaints that they're unlikable. Being unlikable is a very different thing from being stupid and unscrupulous.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There's nothing in the film about this. People are making things up based exclusively on a joke the character tells in a different film four years previous.

Meanwhile, in reality, Spielberg has two adopted kids: Theo and Mikaela.

No, the daughter character delivered the line. In JPII. I thought I kinda respected SMG and the forums were dogpiling him for actually caring to analyze movies, but holy poo poo, here I am telling him to rewatch a movie he's making claims about.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Just Offscreen posted:

Yeah I always just figured the Rex woke up, thrashed around and mauled people, chased some below deck into the hold, and a dying man closed the doors.

It literally doesn't make physical sense; one particular dismembered arm indicates that the T-Rex must have gotten to the opposite side of the boat (likely too small for it to even fit on) and reached through a small window (likely too small for it to fit its head through) to consume someone using the ship's steering wheel, in the process causing no noticeable structural damage to the boat. Before getting locked in the cargo hold. I didn't need to hear that they'd originally intended it to be Velociraptors for it to be blatantly obvious that they'd originally intended it to be Velociraptors, and didn't even bother to change any elements of the set piece when they reworked it. It's the most blatantly obvious "meh who cares our audiences won't be that smart" moment in all three Jurassic Park movies.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I actually really liked Prey. I understood it was bad, but it stuck me as something that, much like Jurassic Park, could have been turned into a classic movie in the hands of creative folks who actually had some idea of how to tell a story.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Cnut the Great posted:

It sounds kind of bad on paper, but the movie version of Hammond actually does work better and is more interesting.

It doesn't even sound bad on paper, TBH.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

oddium posted:

In the book Hammond has a tiny elephant that bites people

TBF this is pretty good but I feel like it could've been worked in without actually using the book version of the character.

The whole Petticoat Lane scene is great.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Bruceski posted:

I'll be honest, the trailer could have been mostly a pile of triceratops poo and I wouldn't have noticed because I was blinded by the mosasaur. That thing has been at the top of my awesome dinosaur-like creatures scale ever since I was a small kid and it was used as the "oh crap get out of here" creature in the Evolator at the Albuquerque dinosaur museum..

Aquatic reptiles are my favorites. I am hyped. If they learned the wrong lesson from Jurassic Park 3, that is, "don't kill T. Rex, it'll piss the fans off", then oh well, but otherwise I look forward to watching Mosasaurus drag a T. Rex underwater.

Vaall posted:

This movie is going to have more CGI than the hobbit. :ughh:

Which movie (or both) is this intended as an insult to? (I didn't see the Hobbit.)

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Senor Tron posted:

Didn't someone do some referencing of what they've shown of the T-Rex and figure out from the scars she's probsbly the Rex from the first movie? If they are putting that level of fan service in there's no way they are killing her off.

There could be more than one. :getin:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I actually really like the kid characters in the first Jurassic Park movie, and not even in a "I was a kid so I related to them" way. More of a "they're defenseless and need to be brought to safety" thing. Frankly though they need to die occasionally to create a real sense of tension. Same thing for the women. No category of people may be immune to dinosaurs, or else that category of people loses their ability to maintain tension. "Protagonist figures" is unfortunately such a category; it'd be awesome for the franchise if Chris Pratt's character died early on.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Kids can totally be smarter than and make better decisions than adults; it's just that this should generally reflect poorly on the adults, not well on the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

SirDrone posted:

or they just screw and create a new breed of mega t-rex that ends up wrecking the place as Malcom laughs at the footage of the park being demolished.

What if the new dinosaur has some kind of mind-control fungus in it that infects the old T-Rex and causes it to do its bidding and help it destroy the park, against its will? Y'know, like in Terminator 3.

• Locked thread