Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I've seen Jurassic Park like a hundred times. I've been really hesitant to get excited about this movie, but I liked the trailer. It looks like a real theme park and I can't wait to see the other attractions they come up with and watch people get eaten.

I just want to see dinosaurs in a decent movie.

And I hope the T-Rex gets more than just a cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jerkface posted:

I'm sorry but I can't take this movie premise seriously... There is no way attendance would decline at a theme park of real dinosaurs. I would go there every year. Gonna have to pass on this one!

Several people have said this and I can't tell it they're being serious.

That's such a weird reason to not see a movie. It's all about whether or not they make the plot believable within the framework of the world they set up. It is not inconceivable to me their their target demographic (rich people) have become used to the dinosaurs and attendance begins leveling off or declining. Throw in a few irresponsible executive/investor types desperate to increase profits. They visit the park and find out Wu and his scientists have the ability to essentially create a new dinosaur by splicing together genes of existing dinosaurs, and the leap to "let's create a new dinosaur to get people interested in the park again" isn't hard for me to believe.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Somebody turn the fact that the T-Rex scene in JP has a magically appearing cliff into a some kind of metaphor about how life finds a way.

Alternatively, draw a map that explains that scene to me because I still can't wrap my head around the location of the cliff in relation to where the T-Rex broke out.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That map is hilarious. Where did you get it and are there more?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This movie won't be good but I'm going to go see it because it has Chris Pratt riding a motorcycle with a gang of raptors and flying dinosaurs killing tourists.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I never felt like the relationship was ambiguous. They live in a trailer together, they talk about having kids a few different times in a way that indicates that has been a long-standing disagreement in their relationship, Ellie calls Grant honey, Grant straight up says that he and Ellie are dating when asked about it by Malcolm...

The scene with Malcolm is meant to confirm 100% that Grant and Ellie are together, but that they've reached a place in their relationship where people can't even tell that they're together.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Toady posted:

Sharing a mobile paleontology lab doesn't necessarily mean they're together. Just before Hammond's helicopter landed, the script had them embrace and kiss, but the removal suggests the ambiguity was deliberate. They could be a couple, but it's one interpretation.

Having them share the trailer and claim they were saving champagne for a special occasion doesn't mean they're a couple, but it definitely implies it along with the other list of stuff in the movie.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Putting feathers on dinosaurs irks people because it makes them seem like birds. Birds are not scary. Reptilian dinosaurs remind us of things like alligators, crocodiles, and big lizards. Those things are scary.

Also feathers are gay.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This movie looks hilarious.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't stop laughing at this GIF

It looks so bad

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is the best CGI in Jurassic Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1koa2xAxCAw

Also here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Co3A3fLBo

I think the most impressive thing is how well they blended scenes with the auto-erotica T-Rex with the CGI T-Rex.

That part where the T-rex flips the vehicle is even more impressive when you know that the vehicle is CGI too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

feedmyleg posted:

New clip:

https://amp.twimg.com/v/9a544f96-dde1-4665-a3b3-5cc850369814

Man is it distracting to see Lauren Lapkus there :stare:

This is a pretty cool scene and the effects look good.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I haven't seen The Lost World in so long. For some reason they only ever play the first and third movies on TV.

I guess that's fine because I either get to watch one of my favorite movies of all time, or I get to laugh at talking nightmare raptors, the hilarious plane crash scene, a kid gathering dinosaur piss for survival...that whole movie is hilarious.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You know that part in Jurassic Park where Muldoon and Arnold suggest putting the lysine contingency into effect? Why does Hammond get so upset at the suggestion? Is it because it would take too long for the dinosaurs to die off and Hammond wants to do something more immediate?

Also, how did the dinosaurs survive for The Lost World and JP3 without lysine?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Some of these track names are hilarious.

As the Jurassic World Turns

Owen You Nothing

Gyrosphere of influence

Raptor Your Hear Out

It's a Small Jurassic World

lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The South China Morning Post gave the movie 4 stars!

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/48-hours/article/1818328/film-review-jurassic-world-dinosaurs-return-bigger-ever

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I feel like they should have just made a good movie instead of making a dumb movie that makes fun of dumb movies.

The whole thing was just real meh for me. Oh well.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wish the movie had more scenes of dinosaurs killing people and rampaging through the park. The best scene in the movie is when the flying dinosaurs were attacking idiot tourists. I thought we were going to see the iRex and T-Rex and raptors killing park goers. I was really excited when they were tracking the iRex and it was heading south. It felt like the movie created the looming threat of 20,000 people being in mortal danger, but it never really paid off completely.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Even now this scene is so effective and terrifying. Nothing in Jurassic World even comes close to matching this level of tension and excitement. The acting in this scene is fantastic. Lex and Tim seem genuinely terrifed, and Grant and Malcolm's :stonk: expressions convey how unprepared and screwed everyone is.

I think my favorite part is:

Dr. Grant: Hey! Hey! *waves flare*

Rex: Rooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

Dr. Grant: ...uh....

Man, Jurassic Park rules so hard. I love Spielberg. I can't wait to go see Jaws in theaters next week.

Colin Trevorowroworawrowrowr can suck my balls.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sir Kodiak posted:

That scene is, of course, better than anything in Jurassic World. My point is merely that it's not better because the CGI in Jurassic World, or the effects work in general, is worse than in Jurassic Park (which I'm not suggesting you disagree with).

Yeah, I got off topic :)

Any time I watch the T-Rex scenes from JP I just start gushing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember when a movie came out that had a dinosaur die in star lords arms while Ron Howard's daughter watched and rediscovered her humanity?

I liked when they kissed because movies.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jagermonster posted:

That original Jurassic Park clip is kind of garbage how it goes from:

T-Rex chasing Malcolm

cut to: shot of bathroom

cut to: shot of Genaro in bathroom

cut to: bathroom being destroyed

cut to: Malcolm falling into the debris of the shattered bathroom structure

What the gently caress happened?? Why didn't the T-Rex eat Malcolm? Did it punt him into the bathroom or something? How is that anything but laughably lovely film making?

The T-Rex tried to eat him but as he goes to snap him up he misses, knocks Malcolm through the air, and destroys the bathroom hut at the same time. Genaro is left sitting on the toilet so the T-Rex eats him instead.

What's confusing or bad about that?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

At the end of the film, the raptors pretend like they're going to kill the people, but then Blue whispers a signal to Pratt. Once Pratt is ready, Blue turns around and screams the raptor equivalent of 'gently caress you!' - which is why iRex starts killing everyone.

That isn't what happened :confused:

The raptor isn't pretending. It fully intends to kill people until Pratt reestablishes his bond with the raptors and they decide to align with him instead of the iRex.

Or are you joking or something...?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm taking about what happens immediately after that.

Pratt removes the camera, Blue calms down, and then the scene plays out exactly as I described.

Oh, I thought you were implying that the raptor was somehow in cahoots with Owen the entire time lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ah, yes. Dr. Slatter.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm still shocked they used CGI for that I mean christ is it so hard/expensive to make an animatronic for that?

RIP Stan Winston

Who do people go to now for practical special effects, anyways?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jagermonster posted:

You guys are being facetious right? Watch the clip. It's a jumbled mess that leaves the viewer to fill in the improbable blanks because whatever was filmed to show what happened ended up being unusable.

I'm not being facetious. I have no problem with that scene. I don't feel like I have to fill in any blanks.

He runs away towards the bathroom hut...

T-Rex tries to bite him and flings him through the air...

He lands on the ground...

And gets covered by debris...

There are also shots of the actual roof caving in and all four walls of the hut collapsing.

What is the viewer left to fill in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jagermonster posted:

You know what? After my many many times watching that movie, and that specific scene just now, I had never once discerned that he's actually shown on top of the T-Rex's snout right there.

Hahaha it crossed my mind that you might not have noticed it and that's why I took screenshots :hfive:

• Locked thread