Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Jurassic Park is a perfect movie. Lost World isn't, but I still love the hell out of it, and Jeff Goldblum and I'm one of the few people that loves the T-Rex in San Fransisco bit that everyone hates. I get why people don't like the third one at all, I guess, but I'm down with just seeing the dinosaurs so I enjoyed 3 anyway (of course with the exception of the new dino killing the t-rex). So I am so down for Jurassic World. I got giddy at the final shot of Chris Pratt riding his motorcycle along his hunting dog Raptor pals.

I like the idea people are throwing around that the T-Rex is going to save the day at the very end, and it makes so much sense I think I'm gonna be a little disappointed if that doesn't happen.

I dunno why people have such a problem with the raptors being trained after being shown as killing machines before. People tame animals that should never rightfully be tamed all the time. There was that story a while ago about that giant crocodile that some dude became BFFs until it died of old age.

Honestly I really can't think of anything that a Jurassic Park movie could do that could really make me hate it. I don't care that much about how good the writing or dialogue is as long as we see dinosaurs doing their thing (I love that shot in the trailer of people kayaking down the Stegosaurus river) and eventually getting loose and causing all sorts of chaos.

oddium posted:

Is the hybrid dinosaur really named Diablosaurus Rex because that owns

I hope this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I, Butthole posted:

Whatever new dinosaur they're telegraphing, it looks like it'll be able to fly given the camera angle of the crowds running away and that 40-foot high fence line.

I'm so on board for this.

I can't imagine it'll fly. Unless they, while making hybrid dinosaurs, literally made a dragon, which I would be like "uh" then "hmm" and then "yes good".

The overhead camera angle made me think that the pterodactyls get out (maybe the poster's idea about the new dinosaurs wrecking the other dinosaur areas releases them?). There's also the shot of the kid hiding in terror at what I imagine is a raptor, but that could be another trailer misdirection and and that could be one of Pratt's hunting dog raptors. He'll burst in and start licking the kid's face and then Chris Pratt comes in and is like "he likes you"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think that Seaworld parody thing looks pretty great? :confused: I don't think an animatronic would've pulled that off somehow better.

I think we need to see more of the Dinosaurs before going "this is too much CG". All three of the Jurassic Park movies used both CG and practical effects, I see no reason to think this one won't.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I like 3 better than 2 for the simple reason that 3 is just kinda dumb and unambitious, whereas 2 actively goes out of its way to poo poo on the first film.

What how

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mr.48 posted:

I'm getting kind of tired of the "evil/reckless scientists wreak havoc with their creations" cliche. How about a drama about awesome scientists struggling to friggin' clone dinosaurs against all odds? Nope, we need a fourth movie where the dinosaurs break out and try to eat annoying kids.

E: The giant aquatic beastie was pretty baller though.

They made this movie already. It's a few minutes long and it's the Dino DNA thing in the first movie so we don't have to suffer through an hour and a half of dorks in lab coats pulling blood out if a mosquito's butthole

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The t-rex in san diego IS great and so is the t-rex roaring infront of the backdrop of the city and so is everyone in the boat somehow torn to pieces by the t-rex that was inside the big cargo hold

Every scene from the Lost World is great. The Lost World is great.

Well, the scene where the daughter beats a raptor by doing gymnastics is pretty whatever but

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

vainman posted:

It's really dumb that the scariest dinos of the first film have been whittled down so that Chris Pratt can hang out with them

It's awesome as hell actually

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

By the way for those worried about it (I thought everything in the trailer looked fine but), here's a bit from Jurassic World's director on twitter:

So that shot and I imagine a lot of the big sweeping park shots you see in the trailer were probably made specifically for the trailer

edit:

:allears:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 27, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It doesn't look like there's wings on the new dino like some were speculating

This trailer takes out the best part (Chris Pratt & the Raptor Squad) 0/10

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

vainman posted:

Wait, what? It can go invisible?

Invisible like a chameleon most likely, not invisible like the predator

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Electromax posted:

Lol

"Actually if they wanted the best ROI on dinosaurs they should only produce stegosaurs because the protein feed/weight ratio exceeds..."

You think a giant chameleon dino would make kids turn up their noses?

Ummmm no, that's totally unrealistic. Furthermore let me tell you about my Jurassic Park sequel idea that takes place completely inside a science lab and no one is eaten by dinosaurs

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Seriously, Disney World doesn't constantly add new things and update old poo poo just for the heck of it

edit: If you think about it, Duffy the Bear and the new hybrid dino are basically the same thing :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I thought the big about Chris Pratt's raptor squad was interesting:

quote:

“Owen’s relationship with the raptors is complicated. They aren’t friends. These animals are nasty and dangerous and they’ll bite your head off if you make the wrong move. But there are men and women out there today who have forged tenuous connections with dangerous predators. That’s interesting territory to me.”

Which makes it sound like they aren't simply tamed raptors. Something could trigger his raptors going too out of control

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

echoplex posted:

Watching TLW as an adult made me laugh - because the secondary antagonist says "I'm off, laters" right before the climax and then he actually leaves. That's some bold script writing.

I don't really feel like he's an antagonist. Maybe at first a little until the two sides are forced together, but he's barely even on the side of the InGen dude who wants to capture all the dinos to bring back to America. All he really cares about is being able to hunt a T-Rex. I think his arc ends perfectly fine. He wanted to hunt the T-Rex, he eventually gets his chance but the victory is kind of ruined for him since his friend died, and he's also just not used to like. EVERYONE around him dying, since he says "I've spent enough time in the company of death". I imagine his normal hunting trips don't usually end with like half of the people he was with just now dead.

achillesforever6 posted:

He's the worst and the reason that everyone gets hosed in the first place.

I like him too, I especially like all the banter between him, Malcom and Eddie. Him sabotaging the InGen's cages and releasing all the dinosaurs didn't gently caress anything up but the camp, and I guess the tree that Roland was waiting in while he hunted. What hosed everything up was Roland baiting mama and papa T-Rex. All hell broke loose once that happened.

This sounds like I'm contradicting the first part of my post but Roland wouldn't have even been there if it wasn't for the InGen Dino Capture Party, Peter is the antagonist and he never really learns his lesson, even when a T-Rex is rampaging through a city.

The only characters I can say I'm not a huge fan of, are the daughter who felt just kind of forced into the movie so you could have a kid be in danger (even though you knew she'd never die) and Sarah who was just kind of boring (I blame Julianne Moore for that. I'm not a fan of her). They're still alright.

Really the only thing I can say I hate in Lost World, even worse than the Gymnastics Attack on the raptor, is this:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

When Ian leaves, Hammond counts out the members on his team on his fingers like a preschooler who just learned to count and then is like :buddy: like he finally learned how to count up all the way to 3. It's just a dumb moment that feels like they lingered the camera on the actor too long and he didn't know what else to do

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Chris Pratt is one of Malcom's other adopted kids

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Vaall posted:

This movie is going to have more CGI than the hobbit. :ughh:

Goddamn CGI. Hopefully it's minimal and they build full robot flying pterodactyls. The raptors better be marionettes. Stop motion clay t-rexes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

There we go!

Someone should photoshop some cool shades on Pratt + Raptor Bro (Brolociraptor?)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't really understand why this argument is happening here anyway. All three Jurassic Park movies had a good mix of both CG and practical effects, there's no reason to assume the fourth won't be exactly the same. Especially considering they've had "leaked" on set pics of the physical dinosaurs they are gonna use. The director of the film has straight up said the trailer is far more CG then they are doing for the actual movie as well, like the park gate not being CG in the final movie.

Also Azog looked fine CG wise. His problem was just he was a very basic villain. His character and design was boring

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yo that shot of Chris Pratt in the pen training the raptors was awesome gently caress you guys

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Just Offscreen posted:

I don't really know if this has been discussed, but The TRex that is (most assuredly) going to appear in the movie is the same one from the first movie. That makes me geek out a bit just for that.

gently caress yeauhhh

I really hope the movie shows a montage or something of how they finally built the park. Did they build the T-Rex's viewing area AROUND its nest? DId they tranq all the large carnivores and just keep them asleep while they built? How did they build anything with raptors running free?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh man. I hope we get to see the new tour of the place and we get a new ridiculous CGI Mr. DNA video.

OR we get the same Hammond video and the kids joke about how old it looks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Party Boat posted:

Sadly we won't have Richard Attenborough fluffing his lines. :(

Ah that's right, I forgot half of that video relied on John Hammond being there IRL. Wellp. My first option then!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

http://www.jurassicworld.com/dinosaurs/metriacanthosaurus/
http://www.jurassicworld.com/dinosaurs/suchomimus/

Those sure are two straight up carnivores, one of them with a "high" aggression rating, on the no-fence canoe ride

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Lego Jurassic World has a trailer. :3:

This is hilarious. It sounds like they're just straight up using the audio from the movie for the voices which I am TOTALLY okay with, instead of having horrible sounding impersonators.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

I played the Genesis Jurassic Park so much I could beat it in under 15 minutes, both with Grant and the raptor. That game ruled.

That game was impossible, stop lying to the good folks of somethingawful.com

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That's what I thought too!

I also thought it was a can of whipped cream when I was a kid cause I had no idea shaving cream was a thing, and he puts it on the pie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Who cares about the acting in a scene with no dinosaurs. I'm just glad that Jurassic Park Starlord isn't going to be all >:| the whole movie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm more worried that the dinosaur scenes will just be the same old poo poo and the CGI won't even be AAA work. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the new measuring stick, and if you're making a loving Jurassic Park sequel, you'd better strive to be as good or even better than what's come before. I know I'm too old for a new movie to reproduce what I felt seeing Jurassic Park for the first time, but I'm thinking more about the kids of today who will see this movie. If they watch it and say "those dinos look fake, this isn't as awesome as Planet of the Apes or Godzilla", then there is a problem.

I think some of you guys are really overestimating the amount of people who are going to think the dinosaurs look bad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Uhhhhh did that trailer show the new dinosaur was loving ordering the pterodactyls to go abduct people like they were his minions? Cause it sure looked that way.'

Also they are absolutely going out of their way to not show the T-Rex in the trailers. I thought the trailer was awesome as hell, and the dinosaurs looked great, I don't care what you guys say. The shot of the CG raptors running through the jungle looked real good IMO.

Also I remember some people in this thread were hoping the Ankylosauruses would treat that ball vehicle like a bat and ball and the trailer showed that absolutely happening

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Deakul posted:

That trailer confirmed every fear I ever had about the movie, looks loving stupid as hell.

My interest is pretty much lost. :(

I don't get some of you people

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah. It's actually way worse.

The Lost World is awesome, the only outright bad part is the gymnastic thing and if you don't like the t-rex loose in the city you can eat farts

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I Rex, hanging from the edge of a cliff, reaches for T Rex, "Give me your hand!" she pleads. The T Rex just smirks and waves goodbye with her little baby arms.

The scene from the Lion King except it's the I Rex and the T Rex. The T Rex drops the I Rex into stampeding Gallimimuses

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Imagined posted:

I always picture the people who try to defend stupid, bad poo poo as "lol turn off your brain it's entertainment" as watching 'Teletubbies' the rest of the time. "What's not to like? It's moving pictures hurrr"

It could just be people defending a thing they think looks cool. I think Jurassic World looks legit awesome

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, everything about that whole sequence is pretty great aside from the gymnastics stuff. Also the trailer-over-the-cliff bit is a really nice action setpiece too, with (poor) Eddie frantically trying to pull the trailers back up and the windshield cracking under Sarah always makes my hands sweat.

I thought the shot of the three of them hanging on the rope while the trailer falls around them was awesome. I'm also a sucker for all the little quips during the movie so I liked when Eddie asks them if they need anything else and they order burgers. Ian has such a sarcastic "I am so done with this poo poo" attitude about everything and it's great.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Just Offscreen posted:

We already do- they are called cats.

The kitchen scene from the first movie would still basically be the same scene if you replaced the raptors with cats

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That CGI looks like poo poo! They should go back to stop motion! :what:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Death By The Blues posted:

The music is good. But god drat those are some fake looking raptors, and those blue streaks.

They actually looked awesome and the blue streaks were cool. You're all a bunch of wieners

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hemp Knight posted:

They got out. Clever girls.

Do the raptors move? That's awesome

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hi Jurassic World thread. I just got back from the movie and wanted to say the final battle was amazing and everything I could hope for and if you didn't like it then you are a big ol' poophead.

I loved the shot of the I-Rex coming up to the four main guys + the 3 raptors, and then the raptors looking back at the main peeps and then turning around and going full attack mode on the I-Rex. And then the T-rex showing up! And then the Mosasaurus delivering the killing blow. Oh man, it was great. I had the biggest smile on my face during that entire thing. Seriously the big final battle basically being between the "heroes" (the humans, t-rex and raptors) and the "villain" (the I-Rex) It was like it was made for me!

I see people saying the raptors talking to each other was dumb?? PFFFT is what I say to THAT. I loved that, and I especially loved I-Rex talking to them because he was part raptor. Honestly I was totally down with everything they did with the raptors in this movie.

I dunno if we're still doing spoiler tags in this thread at this point but just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Laserface posted:

Mossasaur being fed great whites is pretty LOL when you realise how many are left in the wild and how long they take to mature.

like feeding it more than once a day would make them extinct pretty fast.

Surely if they can bring dinosaurs back to life, they can bring sharks back to life in the park and and keep great white sharks in stock

• Locked thread