Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The "SASHA! NOOOOOOOOOOOh." fakeout was outstanding. More thoughts later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

This is so much more fun than GoT. I genuinely give a poo poo about these characters.

Have to say I'm disappointed with the way Vasquez went. It kind of felt like his comeuppance should have come from Rhys. Maybe they couldn't afford to keep Patrick Warburton.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Roman Reigns posted:

This is so much more fun than GoT. I genuinely give a poo poo about these characters.

Have to say I'm disappointed with the way Vasquez went. It kind of felt like his comeuppance should have come from Rhys. Maybe they couldn't afford to keep Patrick Warburton.

It was worth it for Gortys's plucky efforts to wake the silly sleepy man. We might see some more blowback about Vasquez's death once we get to Helios, he was the big thing standing in the way of Rhys and Vaughn's return and their old jobs.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Roman Reigns posted:

I was fine with it because his death, her involvement in Athena's capture, and Vaughn's possible death (he's not dead but still) sets Vallory up as a great, worthy villain. I can't wait to put her down.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
So I'm assuming Vazquez dies no matter who you blame? That's totally okay with me, but interesting to know my choice would've had no effect.

I love Gortys's optimism and childlike wonder - I honestly felt bad for her about that confrontation with Dr. Cassius, who I ended up killing. Although that was moreso the result of eeny-meeny-miney-mo, cos I had no idea what to do.

Also DAAAAMN THAT CHANGE STATION WORKED? I tried finding a cursor spot to click but found nothing! I might play the episode again if I can be bothered - the possibility of playing dress-ups is too good to pass up.

Curious: for those who picked up Athena's shield in Episode 2, how did she pop back into the story for your runthrough?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

So It Goes posted:

Anyone have suspicions on who the masked guy is, assuming he is a known character? His personality doesn't seem to match with anyone like Felix for example.

Tiny Tina.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

R.I.P. Gary :(

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Funny episode, made me laugh a few times.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I know it's probably a terrible idea and all, but trusting Jack at the end of episode 2 means he's writing all of the info blurbs for Rhys scans and it is the best loving thing.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Caidin posted:

I know it's probably a terrible idea and all, but trusting Jack at the end of episode 2 means he's writing all of the info blurbs for Rhys scans and it is the best loving thing.

ENGORGE

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Frankston posted:

The funniest part was when Fiona started telling her side of the story where she kicks the grenade into Vallory's mouth and the 'deal with it' sunglasses drop down onto Fiona. I seriously did not expect that and laughed extremely hard.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
So, updated the game but now my save is missing for some reason. Is there a site that has saves for games like this or a save editor or something?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Frankston posted:

There were plenty of good moments for humour. "make her head spin," the falling sequence, trying to drag Vasquez's body, Athena's deadpanning about her dead sister, "I cannot hold back the tide of your bad decisions" etc etc.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

So It Goes posted:

Anyone have suspicions on who the masked guy is, assuming he is a known character? His personality doesn't seem to match with anyone like Felix for example.
Personally, I think it's Marcus.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Good episode, but my god, why is what is essentially a three hour cutscene so poorly optimized on the ps3? Telltale desperately needs to build a better game engine.

DivisionPost posted:

The "SASHA! NOOOOOOOOOOOh." fakeout was outstanding. More thoughts later.

I'm kinda disappointed choosing :byewhore: doesn't blow back on you at all.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I'm pretty sure that masked person is one of the sirens, but I'm not sure which. No idea why I think so, but I REALLY trust this hunch.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They don't really sound anything like any of the characters we've met so far, so either it's someone we know who's doing an excellent job of acting or it's a new character. Or someone from the main games I wouldn't recognize, I guess.

Also, how did some people get Vaughn to not be paralyzed? He got hit by an electro-dart while we were escaping and spent the game until we met the scientist frozen, but I've seen screenshots where he's moving around and I'd hate to have missed out on some good interactions considering he might be gone for good. Was it because I didn't let Jack take over the security system?

Speaking of Jack, there's quite the difference between making friends and blocking him out - apparently he takes over your Echo Eye and turns up in the background making fun of people if you trusted him? I almost forgot about him completely in my run, he showed up about twice in the whole episode. It's kind of making the whole "Devil on your shoulder" thing a little too easy, so hopefully even if you're trying to ignore him he'll have some more presence on Helios.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dolash posted:

They don't really sound anything like any of the characters we've met so far, so either it's someone we know who's doing an excellent job of acting or it's a new character. Or someone from the main games I wouldn't recognize, I guess.

Also, how did some people get Vaughn to not be paralyzed? He got hit by an electro-dart while we were escaping and spent the game until we met the scientist frozen, but I've seen screenshots where he's moving around and I'd hate to have missed out on some good interactions considering he might be gone for good. Was it because I didn't let Jack take over the security system?

Speaking of Jack, there's quite the difference between making friends and blocking him out - apparently he takes over your Echo Eye and turns up in the background making fun of people if you trusted him? I almost forgot about him completely in my run, he showed up about twice in the whole episode. It's kind of making the whole "Devil on your shoulder" thing a little too easy, so hopefully even if you're trying to ignore him he'll have some more presence on Helios.

The creepy Atlas doctor can cure him. I dunno if it's a guaranteed thing but it happened in my run.

Edit: Completely misread that. I'm in the same boat as you; no idea if there's a way to have things play out differently.

Man, this game is gonna make me do so many playthroughs to see all the possibilities. I've been running this one trying to get Rhys to distance himself from Hyperion whenever possible and that includes telling Jack he can go gently caress himself whenever possible.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Vaughn doesn't get paralyzed if you let Jack take control at the end of episode 2, and as a result has more a of presence in episode 3, including writing ECHO descriptions and even uses Rhy's body as a puppet at one point

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I have a feeling going down the Trust Jack Completely route will end up super badly for Rhys at some point. Just a hunch.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

In the escape at the start I trusted Jack and then helped Vaughn get the universal remote to get loaderbot, but it looked like there was an option to help Sasha instead? Anyone check that out?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like Rhys's character arc, where there's Jack and all the success, money and power he idolizes on one side and his friends and life outside of being a grasping corporate stooge on the other. In fact the only issue I've had with it so far is it's almost a little too good at letting you cut Jack out if you want. I guess maybe if you've been an rear end up till now then stuff like the road trip and the down-time at the pretty dome are meant to belatedly build some rapport and friendship in the group, so maybe the conflict works better if you've given into temptation a few times like trusting Jack to get you out of the base, because otherwise Rhys doesn't seem all that conflicted. I'm curious if the extra scenes you get with Vaughn for trusting Jack are meant to try and draw you back toward the friend side of the equation?

Fiona's direction as a character is still a little vague. You've got Sasha to look after (I can't wait to see her reaction to Rhys's flirting), Athena and by extension Felix was trying to train you for vault hunting, adventure, taking charge and being independent. She has some tension in her character surrounding revenge, like reacting to Felix's betrayal or when Athena tries to murder the scientist. I want to say her story's about whether she's hardening to the unfairness of the world or whether she's still a con with a heart of gold. Which is bad news for Sasha, since the ultimate test of that character would be how she reacts to losing her sister, something they teased this episode with what Athena said.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Dolash posted:

I like Rhys's character arc, where there's Jack and all the success, money and power he idolizes on one side and his friends and life outside of being a grasping corporate stooge on the other. In fact the only issue I've had with it so far is it's almost a little too good at letting you cut Jack out if you want. I guess maybe if you've been an rear end up till now then stuff like the road trip and the down-time at the pretty dome are meant to belatedly build some rapport and friendship in the group, so maybe the conflict works better if you've given into temptation a few times like trusting Jack to get you out of the base, because otherwise Rhys doesn't seem all that conflicted. I'm curious if the extra scenes you get with Vaughn for trusting Jack are meant to try and draw you back toward the friend side of the equation?

I trusted Jack for the escape but told him to gently caress off afterwards- there was the whole re-writing the echo eyes, Jack possessing Rhys, does this happen otherwise? and Jack basically straight up says that he'll kill you the first chance he gets.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I hope the game sees me saying "sure I trust you" to him after not letting him take over at the end of the last episode is me just telling him what he wants to hear, since I didn't mean it but there wasn't a [lie] option and I didn't want him actively plotting to take over...

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
That was awesome. Again. Tell Tale has been killing it with this series, I can't believe how much they made me actually CARE about the borderlands universe and characters. Intro sequence song was awesome, and perfectly appropriate again.

I was legitimately upset when Athena got rocketed, and right after I tried to save her with the shield. Poor Janey is going to be stuck wondering where she went :( . Kinda sad Vasquez is out of the picture too, if only because Patrick Warburton's voice acting is just the best.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

So I'm pretty sure Athena getting rocketed is what directly leads to her being captured and interrogated by Lilith during the Pre-Sequel. So now at least we know when this takes place.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Single best moment of the episode is when The normally cold-hearted Athena just can't even believe that you would be carrying around an eyeball. "It's not that weird" "OH MY GOD, YES IT IS"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The helmeted stranger has to be General Pollux, or one of his men. His whole "I AM DEFINITELY ALIVE IN THIS BOX AND I KNOW ALL ABOUT THE GORTYS PROJECT" spiel was way too involved for a single hilariously dark throw-away gag.

If Fiona hasn't ditched that eye, she's in trouble.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Goddamn this series just keeps getting better and better.

I'm pretty bummed because I missed out on the dress-up station, faffed about too much and then clicked on the plot by accident. I didn't pick the flower with Sasha at all, because I knew that was gonna backfire somehow, and I'm surprised more people didn't do that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Kerrrrrrr posted:

So I'm pretty sure Athena getting rocketed is what directly leads to her being captured and interrogated by Lilith during the Pre-Sequel. So now at least we know when this takes place.

When did Athena hook up with Janey? I thought it was after the Pre-Sequel.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So after finishing Episode 3 I felt like going back through the game on a new playthrough going all gung ho Jack! Picking the other option at the end of 2. But while doing so I found something new in Episode 1, or at least something I didn't know was possible. After meeting Shade for the second time when Fiona is in the ducts trying to set the EMP I took too much time trying to listen to the conversation and didn't manage to place the EMP in time, and Felix just told Sasha to keep going and hope Rhys doesn't scan the key. Rhys does actually scan the key, recognizes it is fake, and then as August looks on in confusion drops it, then the usual bandit invasion happens. The story then continues as normal. I had kind of expected that it would either wait for you, or that it would be a failure condition. But nope it continued on anyways.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Wanderer posted:

When did Athena hook up with Janey? I thought it was after the Pre-Sequel.

I assume during the time that Borderlands 2 happened. The part where Athena got captured and is interrogated by Lilith happens after BL2, the pre-sequel stuff is just her telling the story of what happened before BL2.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Here are all of the choices for Episode 1 and Episode 2.

He forgot to include my favorite part of Episode 1: the choice of blowing his mind or breaking his heart.

Jubs fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 28, 2015

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

dmboogie posted:

Goddamn this series just keeps getting better and better.

I'm pretty bummed because I missed out on the dress-up station, faffed about too much and then clicked on the plot by accident. I didn't pick the flower with Sasha at all, because I knew that was gonna backfire somehow, and I'm surprised more people didn't do that.

Wait, that's an option? What happens if you skip it altogether?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ryuujin posted:

So after finishing Episode 3 I felt like going back through the game on a new playthrough going all gung ho Jack! Picking the other option at the end of 2. But while doing so I found something new in Episode 1, or at least something I didn't know was possible. After meeting Shade for the second time when Fiona is in the ducts trying to set the EMP I took too much time trying to listen to the conversation and didn't manage to place the EMP in time, and Felix just told Sasha to keep going and hope Rhys doesn't scan the key. Rhys does actually scan the key, recognizes it is fake, and then as August looks on in confusion drops it, then the usual bandit invasion happens. The story then continues as normal. I had kind of expected that it would either wait for you, or that it would be a failure condition. But nope it continued on anyways.

That's actually really cool!

Also, Jack doesn't possess you if you trusted Fiona over him. I went and looked up what happens if you do, and holy crap there's actually quite a lot of little differences. I watched a pro-Jack run on youtube and not only were scenes significantly changed, the tone of different character relationships and interactions were changed too. It made me very happy to be playing friendly Rhys.

Honestly, Telltale games usually get a lot of flack for lacking choice or for the choices not mattering as much as they appeared to, but for some reason Tales from the Borderlands doesn't feel like it has that problem. I think a large part of that has to do with tone, since the more dramatic games try to build up these ~tough decisions~ which set high expectations, since if the decision doesn't end up having enough impact then it wasn't as important as it seemed. Comedy adventures like this work better since choices that focus on character over results can feel meaningful just by being funny, so that when there's unexpected real differences that come out of your decisions they feel like a bonus.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kaethela posted:

Wait, that's an option? What happens if you skip it altogether?

If you don't pick the flower, Sasha does, and the whole escape thing still happens.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What does having a Telltale Games account get you?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dolash posted:

That's actually really cool!

Also, Jack doesn't possess you if you trusted Fiona over him. I went and looked up what happens if you do, and holy crap there's actually quite a lot of little differences. I watched a pro-Jack run on youtube and not only were scenes significantly changed, the tone of different character relationships and interactions were changed too. It made me very happy to be playing friendly Rhys.

Honestly, Telltale games usually get a lot of flack for lacking choice or for the choices not mattering as much as they appeared to, but for some reason Tales from the Borderlands doesn't feel like it has that problem. I think a large part of that has to do with tone, since the more dramatic games try to build up these ~tough decisions~ which set high expectations, since if the decision doesn't end up having enough impact then it wasn't as important as it seemed. Comedy adventures like this work better since choices that focus on character over results can feel meaningful just by being funny, so that when there's unexpected real differences that come out of your decisions they feel like a bonus.

The writers don't seem to feel the pressure to make everyone out to get the POV character(s), which is one of the most common complaints for other Telltale games. No matter how you acted to someone, they would always show up as an antagonistic rear end in a top hat at the scheduled plot beats, which I think is what really gets under people's skin. I don't know if the difference is a lesser need to constantly raise the stakes or some property of the Borderlands setting.

Really Pants posted:

What does having a Telltale Games account get you?

I thought it let you see the choice percentages at the end but I don't know.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

This is from the first trailer.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Which fits perfectly with what he's saying since the Pre-sequel cutscenes with Athena take place on flying Sanctuary after BL2.

• Locked thread