Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the 1904 St. Louis Olympic Marathon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

As an aviation nerd I enjoyed the Dole Plane Race episode. The sound is kind of fucky on it but it's still listenable.

It's not exactly funny though as most of the contestants crash and die.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Falcon and the Snowman is also just a great one for pure ‘WTF’ moments

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

beats for junkies posted:

Cereal Men with Patton Oswalt, if only for Gareth's realization halfway through

That's not the one with Col. Sanders, is it? Because that slow revelation is so good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

That's not the one with Col. Sanders, is it? Because that slow revelation is so good.

its the one with the men who invented cereal. youre thinking of the episode called colonel harlan sanders

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

zenguitarman posted:

He had his own episode and it's one of my favorites because Gareth didn't realize until over halfway through.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
my favorite “gareth realizes what the subject is” is john pembertons drug tonics

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
if we're doing "great Dollops" again I will go to bat for the Willie Dee being among the best, because it's a great hook

if you want someone to start listening to the Dollop you could do a lot worse than "hey do you want to hear about the Navy ship that shot a torpedo at the President?"

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

scary ghost dog posted:

its the one with the men who invented cereal. youre thinking of the episode called colonel harlan sanders

lol that's a lot more on the nose than I remember

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Col. Sanders one is pretty drat good

But yes, it's very funny that Gareth doesn't figure it out until the midway point

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It took him until the second episode about opioids to realize Dave was saying Bayer and not Bear.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Every time I hear a story about rich people getting exotic pets drunk as party entertainment it blows my loving mind. I'm stealing it as a hook for Dungeons and Dragons.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I just finished the Evan Mecham episodes and I'm not a huge politics follower so the whole time I was thinking "Huh...THAT Ed Buck?"

yes, THAT Ed Buck

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Can’t believe I haven’t listened to the dollop for 2 years now. It used to be my favorite podcast. And then one day I stopped. That happens a lot with me, I have to admit. Are the new episodes still as good ? Any recommendations? Only read the last pages here and saw a lot old ones mentioned that I still remember.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mrfart posted:

Can’t believe I haven’t listened to the dollop for 2 years now. It used to be my favorite podcast. And then one day I stopped. That happens a lot with me, I have to admit. Are the new episodes still as good ? Any recommendations? Only read the last pages here and saw a lot old ones mentioned that I still remember.

its just as hit and miss as ever. recent favorites are toothpicks, the venus 2, year of the locust, and plennie wingo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah you just have to be selective. There are a lot more "Dave is angry at politics" episodes now, which was why I sort of fell off, but there are still plenty of classic Dollop moron episodes too. I can't remember names because I'm elderly and broken but there were a couple recent-ish baseball episodes that were good.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The Rube and Dolphin Fucker are the greatest Dollops and I will hear no arguments about The Rube.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

mrfart posted:

There’s a ten ep dollop uk as it’s own podcast that is absolute gold. I think that was within the last two years? They were touring there right before covid or right during or something.

Also just stop listening to things is normal I do that all the time. Usually I pick things up months or years later and turns out i was actually still really into it and it’s a great feast of content. Sometimes people are dead. Or have moved to Stitcher Premium.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

scary ghost dog posted:

its just as hit and miss as ever. recent favorites are toothpicks, the venus 2, year of the locust, and plennie wingo
Thanks, I'll give these a listen.

kater posted:

There’s a ten ep dollop uk as it’s own podcast that is absolute gold. I think that was within the last two years? They were touring there right before covid or right during or something.

Also just stop listening to things is normal I do that all the time. Usually I pick things up months or years later and turns out i was actually still really into it and it’s a great feast of content. Sometimes people are dead. Or have moved to Stitcher Premium.

Yeah, that UK Dollop has been sitting there between my other podcasts to listen to for years.
I'll have to take the plunge at some point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mrfart posted:

Thanks, I'll give these a listen.

Yeah, that UK Dollop has been sitting there between my other podcasts to listen to for years.
I'll have to take the plunge at some point.

The Ice Cream truck episodes for UK Dollop are really something else

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

FlamingLiberal posted:

A listener on Twitter made a bunch of graphs and charts in honor of the show's 500th episode (thread)

https://twitter.com/vicbrown89/status/1453120676219404290?s=20

It would have been fun to have stats about how often Dave brings up anal every time they do a sexual bit; I am pretty sure it's near 100%

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The history of bowling episode is one I keep coming back too.It's just such a bizarre and hilarious history for something so utterly benign.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Zeniel posted:

The history of bowling episode is one I keep coming back too.It's just such a bizarre and hilarious history for something so utterly benign.

I love that episode too. I really like Dollops about wacky weird poo poo like the history of bowling or a bag of flour that becomes a celebrity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I love that episode too. I really like Dollops about wacky weird poo poo like the history of bowling or a bag of flour that becomes a celebrity.
The whole Truck Nutz saga is incredible

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Truck Nuts was one of the most surreal things to listen to because it made me realize that I sort of knew and had spoken with one of the alleged inventors many, many times with zero knowledge of his involvement in truck nuts. After hearing it, all I could think was "yeah, that adds up. He'd definitely do that."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

RandolphCarter posted:

New York to Paris is such a great episode and I hope Adomian comes back one day.

Adomian is a riot, he was on fire that show.

*in Chicagoan

Whaddaya know, pity dat happened. Be a shame if somethin' happened to ya french car

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Might'ent I the gristle???

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Whoolighams posted:

Might'ent I the gristle???

I chuckled reading this. That poor reporter.

The 1904 Olympics episode isn't quite as good as the NY to Paris one, but it's got some good bits. I'm a fan of Beautiful Jim Key, the horse who can make change.

AND reference Bible verses where a horse is mentioned, obviously.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 18, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think my all time favorite "broken Gareth" moment is in The Caning of Charles Sumner episode, when Dave tells him (don't remember the actual numbers) that like 57 Representatives voted to expel him from the House, and Gareth starts to say "well sure, great" but Dave continues on with "which was 4 short of the number needed" and Gareth just audibly dies.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

swickles posted:

I think my all time favorite "broken Gareth" moment is in The Caning of Charles Sumner episode, when Dave tells him (don't remember the actual numbers) that like 57 Representatives voted to expel him from the House, and Gareth starts to say "well sure, great" but Dave continues on with "which was 4 short of the number needed" and Gareth just audibly dies.

I'm pretty sure there's a similar setup in the Hayes/Tilden Election episode, where over half the senate votes one way, Gareth is relieved, and then Dave reveals that they need a two-thirds majority and he just breaks.

Also: "Tony the fuckin' Tiger is in cahoots!?!?"

I know I've mentioned this one before and it's not quite "breaking" him, but the ending of the James Otis episode (the man who Babe Ruth'd being struck by lightning) is great. "I want to keep talking about this for another half hour!"

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I need to listen to the Bummer and Lazarus episode again. I always laugh to myself when I think about newspaper reports just sitting at the bar getting shithoused watching stray dogs run around.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

beats for junkies posted:

I chuckled reading this. That poor reporter.

The 1904 Olympics episode isn't quite as good as the NY to Paris one, but it's got some good bits. I'm a fan of Beautiful Jim Key, the horse who can make change.

AND reference Bible verses where a horse is mentioned, obviously.

Beautiful Jim Key cracks me the gently caress up, it's such an amazing name for a horse

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the 1904 Olympics was my introduction to the Dollop because it was linked in the description of the Pretty Good episode about the relay race

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Previa_fun posted:

I need to listen to the Bummer and Lazarus episode again. I always laugh to myself when I think about newspaper reports just sitting at the bar getting shithoused watching stray dogs run around.

"Hey look at those two dogs! That's Marvellous!"

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Alaois posted:

the 1904 Olympics was my introduction to the Dollop because it was linked in the description of the Pretty Good episode about the relay race

"I seem to have misplaced my pack of wild dogs."

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Moving Day is up there in absurd human behaviors episodes. I relistened to it along with straw hat riot and newsies strike on a long drive and had my fellow passengers also cracking up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Quixotic1 posted:

Moving Day is up there in absurd human behaviors episodes. I relistened to it along with straw hat riot and newsies strike on a long drive and had my fellow passengers also cracking up.

There's still moving day in Canada. It's very much a thing.

edit: It's July 1st.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
God the Boston Corbet reveal of what he cuts off is just so great. It's still funny no matter how many times I hear it.
I wish there was video of it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

God the Boston Corbet reveal of what he cuts off is just so great. It's still funny no matter how many times I hear it.
I wish there was video of it.

Video of the reaction, right?

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

“I would never do an episode about a guy who cut off his own dick. *pause* So he went home, grabbed a pair of scissors and cut off his…”

That segue was just so perfect.