Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'm not surprised Dave is acting this way, didn't he mention something about the drugs damaging his brain in a way that he has huge amounts of rage or something? I hope he comes to his senses at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Dave's response is up on facebook. In general it's well handled except for the "you can't copyright historical events" bit and his complete lack of understanding about fair use.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm not surprised Dave is acting this way, didn't he mention something about the drugs damaging his brain in a way that he has huge amounts of rage or something? I hope he comes to his senses at some point.

That is his excuse for everything.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Fox News comparison is dumb and not the same at all. Anyway whatever, not going to stop listening or anything

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Dave's definitely been a lame rear end in a top hat but I expected that when I started listening to a comedy podcast hosted by standup comedians.

Yep.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
In case anyone doesn't want to look for it:

Dave Anthony posted:

JULY 9, 2015

First, hey girl.

I’m going to tell you a story about a podcast.

The format of The Dollop is me reading a factual and historical story, and then Gary and I doing our best to crack wise about it. I assemble these stories from many sources each week. One of our rarely used sources, an online author, has publicly stated that The Dollop plagiarized their work and violated their copyright.

I will admit to making a mistake here that has led to this situation. And it’s a Dollop worthy mistake. While every story is sourced, I have not posted them because we have had no official website. I now have one and am putting up all the sources and creating links of the episodes. I apologize for this. But The Dollop isn’t plagiarism, and it isn’t copyright infringement. Listeners of The Dollop understand that I do no original research on the historical facts we tell jokes about. It’s clear that I’m reading the words of other people, through my tone of voice, my constant referring to reading something, and my endless mispronunciations. Plagiarism would be me representing those words as my own, and I’ve never done that.

As for copyright infringement, historical facts are not copyrightable. And they shouldn’t be. There are only so many ways to say that on May 8th, 1936, a horse jockey named Ralph Neves was riding in the third race of the day at Bay Meadows Racecourse. Or that Peter Tomarken hosted “Press Your Luck.”

Once these facts are unearthed by someone, anyone is free to use them. It may not seem fair, but that’s the way it is. Facts are facts. The law doesn’t—and can’t—protect them. They’re free for anyone to use for any purpose.
Most importantly, the point of The Dollop is for Gary and me to tell “funny jokes” about these historical stories. Our “jokes” more often than not are based on political and satirical commentary and criticism of the story we’re discussing and its underlying themes. The law allows for the use of even copyrighted works for commentary, criticism, parody, and satire under something called “fair use.” Fair use is speech that is protected under the First Amendment and federal law. It’s important.

When a teacher discusses a news article in their classroom, that’s fair use. When Jon Stewart uses Fox News clips on the Daily Show, that’s fair use. When a documentary shows part of a copyrighted film or shows some copyrighted text, that’s fair use. Fair use doesn’t require seeking permission in advance. Fair use allows for criticism, commentary, parody, and satire, which is The Dollop.

To the extent that I didn’t properly attribute the source material for our funny commentary, I promise to do a better job going forward, and I apologize. To the extent that The Dollop is not funny, I really apologize. I also generally apologize for Gary. But I am not a plagiarist, and The Dollop is not copyright infringement. We are half naked in our logo, though.

Like head58 said, I think he handled it pretty well. It could have been worse (he admits to making a mistake, at least) or much more confrontational (it is Dave Anthony). Blaming the lack of a website was probably not the best way to excuse it (Dave has said he uses Squarespace for his personal website and he's done ads for them before, but that might have been back on WTR). Especially since they (or at least Dave) have a presence on reddit.

Hopefully he sticks to his promise, and this doesn't end up being a reason for him to dislike doing the show.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, there's a big difference between showing a clip and using someone else's words as your own. Dave says it's obvious he's reading articles, but he never actually made that clear on the show. Still like Dave Anthony the podcaster, but he's just wrong on this one.

I think he will probably come around eventually. He's in fight mode right now. This is more apt than ever:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

wafflesnsegways posted:

Yeah, there's a big difference between showing a clip and using someone else's words as your own. Dave says it's obvious he's reading articles, but he never actually made that clear on the show. Still like Dave Anthony the podcaster, but he's just wrong on this one.

I think he will probably come around eventually. He's in fight mode right now. This is more apt than ever:

Heh, nice.

They spelled Gary's name wrong, though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean it was always obvious to me he was reading something, I didn't come into the podcast struck by Dave's intelligence and research skills. Like I said I always just figured he was paraphrasing a wiki page he glanced over or something

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I mean it was always obvious to me he was reading something, I didn't come into the podcast struck by Dave's intelligence and research skills. Like I said I always just figured he was paraphrasing a wiki page he glanced over or something

It wouldn't bother me as much if it had been a Wiki page. The more recent episodes definitely have had a more comedic edge to them, and it's just lovely that Dave refuses to acknowledge that the author's effort to make the punchline stick might contribute to the success of the Dollop.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
"One of our rarely used sources, an online author, has publicly stated that The Dollop plagiarized their work and violated their copyright."

Very high-minded of Dave to go out of his way to still not mention the name of the website/podcast he's issuing this non-apology to.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

wafflesnsegways posted:

Dave says it's obvious he's reading articles, but he never actually made that clear on the show.

Doesn't the intro of the show say something like "Welcome to the Dollop, I'm your host Dave Anthony, each week I read a story from American history to Gareth Reynolds who has no idea what the topic is about" or something like that?

Regardless they still shouldn't do it without sources and I'm glad they're going to post that on their site at least

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Also he "rarely used" DI so it's totally okay to plagiarize. Is Dave so insecure about his banter with Gareth being The Dollop's draw that he's afraid he'll lose listeners to the podcast they're sourcing?

Real mature to speak disdainfully about the people writing the narratives that (some episodes of) your podcast wouldn't exist without.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 10, 2015

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I don't think that response is very good. He still clearly has no real understanding of what plagiarism is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah you know what, he's treating the sources poorly and the fans, I think I'm done.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You should tweet Dave telling him that :getin:
Also can we confirm (y)(n) the plagariastic content of Reverse Dollop? Retribution is coming for you Gaaaaaaaaary

(And so it was foretold the greatest episode of the Dollop was...the one about the Dollop)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 11, 2015

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The only time I can think of Dave actually sounding apologetic about anything was on Walking The Room when they apologized for saying "tranny". Greg really was a good buffer for Dave's ragey defensiveness. I honestly never thought he was actually putting these things together himself beyond the first few episodes, but holy poo poo man own up to it. I'll keep listening, but I do think less of Dave for this whole thing. poo poo his wife is a PhD she could explain that yeah this is plagiarism as gently caress as far as academia is concerned which is why his definition is of plagiarism doesn't work here. In the entertainment world this might fly but gently caress off outside of that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Good thing I came into this podcast not thinking anything of Dave to begin with

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I've recently been doing research on Dollop-esque topics (okay, serial killers, the one thing they've said they'd never do, but similar enough that they've been asked) for the purposes of recording well-paced and informative audio segments and I can confirm, it's a lot of time consuming work just finding your sources and choosing the right words to make everything pithy while conveying what you want to your audience. The drat Interesting guy has very obviously done a huge amount of work on his articles and to just have some chucklefucks profit off of chatting over it without a word of attribution is reprehensible to me. I love The Dollop, marathoned the whole show in about a week not long ago and listen to every episode as soon as it drops, but it's been in the back of my mind for a long time how much effort should be required for Dave's side of the podcast, how clearly Dave hasn't been the one doing that work since he never makes a big deal out of it, and how he almost never speaks a word about who actually is responsible for it, which has had me worried this would happen for a while. It's real unfortunate, and I don't think there even is a good way to make it right, not that they're even trying, but I am gonna keep listening to the show against Dave's childish wishes. I'm just going to feel dirty about it.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Good thing I came into this podcast not thinking anything of Dave to begin with

This is the correct approach. Dave Anthony is a very funny, deeply flawed man. I half-expected he would register an account to call us all cunts for poo poo talking him like this.

That said he did the thing I wanted about as well as I thought he would, so I don't really feel any guilt listening to this going forward. Of course, assuming he's not lifting from DI or anyone against him citing their work for profit anymore. Again, content in the internet age: a series of crazy gray areas.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Dave's response is bullshit. This is coming from someone who's a big fan of the show, he should just loving sack up and say that he didn't write the material himself and give research credit at the start of each episode. It would take all of ten seconds and not leave him mired in a plagiarism scandal.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

basically Dave sucks but the Dollop doesn't

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Fiendly posted:

...but it's been in the back of my mind for a long time how much effort should be required for Dave's side of the podcast, how clearly Dave hasn't been the one doing that work since he never makes a big deal out of it, and how he almost never speaks a word about who actually is responsible for it, which has had me worried this would happen for a while. It's real unfortunate, and I don't think there even is a good way to make it right, not that they're even trying, but I am gonna keep listening to the show against Dave's childish wishes. I'm just going to feel dirty about it.

This.

I love the podcast, but goddamn is Dave being a loving petulant teen about it. Cite, give credit, ask to do so if possible. Reading a wiki is not the same as a sourced, well written narrative.

If he read most of an episode from Hardcore History and then just riffed on it, nobody would argue that Dan Carlin's engaging writing had nothing to do with that.

Still gonna listen, just pointing that out.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are you out there Dave
Are you reading this right now???

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

If you can hear us, Dave: Take the test, Dave. Post the certificate. Stop being a dick.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
drat Interesting readers, please forgive this unusual departure from our irregularly scheduled programming. Also, please do not view this as an invitation to antagonize anyone involved, we merely want to bring this problem to light and resolve it.

Update, 10 July 2015: When I first discovered that The Dollop was using our writings in some of their episodes, I surmised that it was a callous and cynical plot to profit from others’ efforts. But following a turbulent yet predominantly civil conversation with Dave Anthony of The Dollop, I believe that the harm was not intentional, but rather a confusion of copyright, an understandable error. I received no apology, but I think I observed remorse. There are plans afoot to set things right, the matter is tentatively settled.

Amid discussions involving this post on social media, I have seen a number of commenters assert that the Fair Use exception in US copyright law protects podcasters who wish to use another’s writings—even at great length—without permission or attribution. We do not feel that is the case, as Fair Use is intended to provide wiggle room for teaching, criticism, reporting, and research to include brief quoting of copyrighted material. Fair Use is a complex and nuanced exception to copyright, so it’s possible we’re misinformed, but in our view such usage—especially without attribution—is incompatible with fair use. Let us hope we need never test our view in court.

I’ve also encountered the sentiment that one cannot copyright facts, which is true, but irrelevant to this discussion. That is a “straw man” argument, one meant to resemble our objections while being more easily defeated. No one is claiming ownership of facts here, we are claiming ownership of our words, our lengthy writings.

I hope this post didn’t cause anyone undue consternation, but I feel it’s an important conversation to have. Thanks to all who provided thoughtful input.

Alan Bellows

===================

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I almost want to side against the guy for writing like that, holy poo poo. But at least they seem to have reached some kind of agreement. I wonder what it is.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Practical Demon posted:

I almost want to side against the guy for writing like that, holy poo poo. But at least they seem to have reached some kind of agreement. I wonder what it is.

Some more writing from him

Alan Bellows on Metafilter posted:

Hi everybody, Alan Bellows here. I am working on a follow-up to post on drat Interesting, but the short version is that Dave and I seem to have reached an understanding through email. He recognizes that there was real harm done to DI, but he's convinced me that it was a dark comedy of errors rather than intentional. He's planning to take some steps to set things right. Perhaps I'm being manipulated, perhaps not. Time will tell.

Some people have been saying I should not have "gone public" in this way, that I should have conducted this in private. Part of me agrees with them, because the way I did it has amplified the sadness caused by the initial discovery of the infringement. But incidents of podcasters cribbing our work has been increasing alarmingly, and it's slowly bleeding us dry. There needs to open discourse about it. The infringing podcasters have a huge advantage because they can skip the long researching and writing cycle, freeing up time for luxuries like marketing, live shows, and frequent episodes. And their episodes obviously come out after ours do, so theirs also benefit from being more recent. They amass huge audiences fueled by our content while we monthly wonder if we'll be able to afford to stay online. It's unsustainable.

Dave cannot say so, of course, but I am pretty sure he knows that his official response would not withstand legal scrutiny. But he can't not reply, and fully owning up to this kind of mistake exposes him to some dicey scenarios. Regardless, it was not my intention to destroy anyone's career or credibility, I just want people to stop crushing us with our own material. And in this case it seems to have worked, Dave and I have had a difficult but civil conversation via email and emerged on something resembling friendly terms . The whole incident is oddly reminiscent of grade school, when I got in a fist fight with another kid, and the next day we became friends.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

quote:

I just want people to stop crushing us with our own material.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Looks like the new episode has a link to a sources page, which seems reasonable! Saving it for a drive so haven't heard how the elephant in the room gets addressed.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I really don't get why they couldn't have just added something to the end of the podcasts like, "One of the sources we used in researching this article was a really good article at drat Interesting. That site's great and you should really check it out." It would've given credit where credit is due and promoted a good site.

I think I'm probably done with The Dollop for the foreseeable future. It was annoying enough to hear somewhat clueless people who couldn't understand simple concepts like word meanings and social norms changing over the decades and centuries, but this poo poo is just too much.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Dave's also absolutely wrong to say "There are only so many ways to say..."

Isn't he a writer for Maron? Doesn't he write jokes, even if not literally writing them down but putting the phrasing together in his head? He might have avoided all this from the start if it wasn't for the fact that it was the same exact text.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Now that the two guys in question have appearantly found a solution they can both live with ... would all you guys who never posted in here before the drama kindly grab your outrage and gently caress off again?

This show needs more episodes about drunken riots where nobody really gets hurt.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

It's not so much that there are audio issues on so many of their episodes, it's that each one has a different audio issue. That's pretty amazing. The pregnancy one is unlistenable.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

...would all you guys who never posted in here before the drama kindly grab your outrage and gently caress off again?

Nobody was outraged, it's not your thread, go gently caress yourself.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

DangerDummy! posted:

It's not so much that there are audio issues on so many of their episodes, it's that each one has a different audio issue. That's pretty amazing. The pregnancy one is unlistenable.

By the pregnancy one do you mean the 'Childbirth in America' episode? What's wrong with it?

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
I'm outraged by Dave's inability to pronounce the word 'subsequent'. It's a word that is in very common use in modern English, and it regularly comes up in the course of episodes because he's talking about series of events taking place.

It's really weird that he pronounces it sub-see-quint.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I am also taking umbrage by Dave's inability to pronounce "Gareth".

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Gareth's story about getting high and going to the airport (and not being able to admit it to Dave) might be the funniest thing I've heard on the podcast in a while.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

ChetReckless posted:

Gareth's story about getting high and going to the airport (and not being able to admit it to Dave) might be the funniest thing I've heard on the podcast in a while.

Am I going to be okay?

Yeah that was really really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
A third party weighs in on the plagiarism stuff. Basically echos a lot of the conversation in the thread.

Also, all of the podcasts (or at least all the ones I checked) have sources now. Besides being more responsible, it's an easy way to do a little more reading on interesting stories. Which is cool.