Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Accidentally opened this on my phone yesterday instead of the Giant Bomb thread, and that was a happy mistake because this thing is loving hysterical. So far my favorite episode is Ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I generally have waved off the idea that Gareth is dumb for not knowing this stuff, since it's mostly really obscure. But then I hit one of the last ones I have left, the talking board episode, and he drops the "Ben Franklin wasn't a president?" bomb on me. :psyduck: I mean, come on Gary, kids know that poo poo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

The "guttersnipe Talleyrand" discussion

Oh my GOD

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No the best part of the intro will always be Dave's kid.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

My Dollop pain is any time they come up against history they aren't talking about currently (oh my god that Talleyrand poo poo) or current politics. I couldn't finish the test site episode because of their idiocy regarding nuclear politics.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This week on the Dollop, Gary's doctrinal thesis on ethics and theology.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Australia Man is very annoying and seems more like he's lurking off to one side of the stage rather than being a guest.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not Operator posted:

Its not the best, but the Samuel Whittemore episode does have the funniest exchange I've ever heard.

"Hey, are you gonna retire?"
"gently caress NO, RETIRE'S GONNA ME!"

Whenever I try to get someone on the Dollop this is the one I use.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't know if you've noticed, but they're idiots.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Some pretty great twitter aggro going on over this.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

sure, dave should attribute

Period. This is not defensible Toxx.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

tnimark posted:

Have Dave and Gary responded yet? Last I heard from them was 'we will respond soon'. I really hope they aren't dicks about this and they acknowledge that they are in the wrong. I love the podcast and I really hope this can be resolved somewhat amicably.

They were both kind of smug about it on Twitter and acted annoyed that though was made public.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah you know what, he's treating the sources poorly and the fans, I think I'm done.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've gotten back on board after dropping it ages ago from the huge fit that Dave threw about the plagiarism business. That's handled now, it's fine, I'm liking the series, but I can't remember: which episode is about that guy who ran soup kitchens and whatnot, and then at the end the final twist is that he was secretly running a sex toy empire and in a three way relationship? Did a bunch of the episodes just get purged after the fiasco? It seems like it, I can't identify from the list which one was about the 3 guys who all thought they were Jesus and I believe that's the one that triggered said fiasco.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm back on the Dollop train again, and just listened to the jetpack episode. I expected it to be about the history of crazy jetpack invention attempts, but no, it's Record of the Rocket Wars holy gently caress.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"Comedians Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine super rich guy Erik Prince and his contributions to humanity."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think The Rube is still probably the easiest intro.

Nothing dark, nice guy, funny story, easy to follow.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

having their mind blown by obvious poo poo is definitely a repeat problem

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Snowy posted:

For those of you not into ads you can go to 9:40

yeah I was about to say, jesus christ Dave

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well I HAVE to listen to that ASAP.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Basically the only cardinal sin dollop ads don't commit is midrolling. Otherwise: they go on forever, they don't have any distinguishing music to mark the segment, and they roll in after the there song. And christ almighty it's often 10 minutes an episode.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dave's attitude invites a lot of it. Especially when he gets real smug over some incorrect conclusion he's made.

Mind, that same attitude makes it pointless to actual try to correct or criticize him so the people actually reaching out on Twitter or whatever are nuts. As for this thread, anyone should be able to be positive or negative about it as they like as long as it doesn't get super weird? It's not like Dave posts here.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Worth mentioning is there's actually one other guy who Gary missed after Onada:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teruo_Nakamura
Who doesn't get the same treatment because he wasn't ethnically Japanese.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

frankly it seems high time for Gary to followup his oral history of Dominos with a look at old Papa John

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Transportation episode was pretty bad.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's one of the most egregious examples of Dave and Gary squeezing every last drop out of a bit that wasn't great to start with.

ALSO, rather strange to have a lady guest on for this episode about how women get poo poo on and uh... having her be nearly silent WHILE they do their dumb bits.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lol Dave's fury at people skipping the insane ads.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Thaaaaat's Dave!

E ^you don't understand, the advertisers are WATCHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Countless podcasts somehow make it by just fine with only a single, minute long ad, weirdly enough

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 13, 2018