Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
We all knew this day would come: today's episode is Killdozer.

Also, since I was reminded that today is the anniversary of the Boston Molasses Flood, I really need them to do an episode on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Reformed Pissboy posted:

:patriot: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1075649 (in on page 4 hell yeah)

The Molasses flood is crazy for how destructive it was compared to how silly it sounds, but I'm not sure you can wrangle a whole story out of it. Then again they got a lot of mileage out of the Kentucky Meat Shower, so what do I know!

There's a lot of story leading up to it, what with the circumstances surrounding its construction, one worker who kept having dreams about the flood before it happened and kept trying to prevent it, and the spin the company tried to put on it during the trial.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

Wait, what?! I knew nothing about it other than "molasses kills like 10 people." Now I'm simultaneously mad at you for spoiling the inevitable episode and really loving excited to hear Gareth's reactions to it :stare:

Believe me, that doesn't even come close to spoiling just how hosed up this whole situation was.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yes... "back in the day."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is the audio in the new George Spencer episode weird for anyone else? Sort of tinny and echoing?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

Dear God, that trailer. Did Peter O'Toole need money that much?

Booze costs money, man.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I've just finished up the William Walter episode and this podcast is great. I should have been listening to this the day I put it on my podcast list.

I know I'm a horrible person, but the Ferguson episode is the funniest in a very dark way. Just listening to Gary become crushed as it goes on is amazing.

Boy are you going to love this most recent one then.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The missus almost drowned at Action Park as a kid so this one is pretty interesting for her.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

ChetReckless posted:

I really enjoyed the Three Jesuses episode but I'm bummed that Dave just read someone else's work more or less word-for-word.

Well, it looks like whoever runs DI noticed.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Apparently the latest episode was pulled because of "relentless complaining." Does anyone know what that's about?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The thing is, it wasn't even really very echo-y. I didn't notice it at all when the episode was on. And one dude complains so Dave throws a poo poo-fit and deletes it?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Apparently they found the SD cards, so thr missing shows will appear at some point. From the sound of it they had slipped into a pack of gum in Dave's pocket.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

Im currently 40ish minutes in and I've had to stop it a few times due to it making me so angry. This has to be the darkest Dollop.

I think it's a real contender for it but I didn't feel as absolutely depressingly crushed by this one as I did by Ferguson.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Today's Dollop is pretty great if you're at all familiar with Marblehead, which is only marginally less lovely now than it was during the time of this Dollop. Their police log is rather telling on this front, as a number of the calls to the police can be boiled down to "I saw a brown person, please help."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes. I'm sad they didn't have a live guest. Maybe they will have one lined up for the Chicago shows.

The one from last night at Lincoln Hall was Patton.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

They did a repeat? Boo.

No, it's not about Ten Cent Beer Night at all. It's just the video recording of the latest one, about the Disco Demolition.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Saw the trailer for Free State of Jones this weekend; I'm pretty sure it shows the baby scene about to happen in the trailer.

The first baby scene, not the second. Although that would also be good.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Dave posted in that thread about ten minutes ago and spells it out pretty well:

quote:

My problems with twitter are far more extreme. I'm watching a liberal ugliness that has always been there but has been given a voice and action from the medium. I've been trying to figure out exactly what it is but really don't have it boiled down to its essence yet. They certainly loathe leftists, of which I am one. This election has laid that bare.

At the end of the day, I've never been more disgusted with the people who are supposed to be on my side of the equation. I've watched as a lot of people I know and respect say some horrifically stupid poo poo on twitter - and they have no desire to learn. They just want to stay in their place where everything is the same, where the others are bad and we are good and that's that.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Dr.Radical posted:

And then the thing about the fire not being hot enough to cremate the bodies, which was said by more than one expert who examined the case.

What's really weird to me is how Dave just sort of gives up and says "yeah, it turns out it was hot enough to cremate them after all." I get that he doesn't actually have a lead to follow up on, but that doesn't mean that the experts were wrong. I actually asked a friend who's a mortician and listens to the show, and 45 minutes in house fire temperatures is nowhere near enough - you'd absolutely have something left over that was recognizably human remains. No one's ever going to get to the bottom of this at this point, though, so all we have left are questions.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

rotinaj posted:

The Boston episode last night was really great, and Gareth went off on an extended tangent riff that went so long and so hard, he got a third Gary chant from us over it. Dude was on point last night. And I got a very pleasant hug from him when I bought a poster.

Please tell me that I didn't miss an episode on the Molasses Flood.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Did I miss something, or did no one ever actually reveal what the CRB was?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I love this dead gay podcast but I cannot handle three hours of Trump Dollop right now.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

This story is about a hair’s breadth away from being Hanna-Barbera Wacky Races.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

I hope we finally get the Molasses flood episode

As much as I know that story inside and out, my body is READY for that Dollop.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is there a five minute or so long silence in the middle of the intro plugs or is my phone just making GBS threads itself to death?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Had no idea they were separate. Thats... not the best approach.

Does anyone have the rss, because my pod thing of choice can't find the feed.

http://dollopengland.libsyn.com/rss

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Binowru posted:

Does anyone remember which episode has the story about a woman who (I think) survives a kidnapping and walks back to her hometown through the wilderness? They call her the female Hugh Glass, if I recall.

Isn't that literally the most recent episode? Marie Dorion.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I never watched the West Wing but am I correct in assuming that people hate it now because they blame the show for making politicians think they can simply debate everything calmly like civilized people instead of screaming at each other and that no longer applies?

Once you strip away the clever-seeming dialogue style, the actual writing of the show seems questionable, and thus the politics espoused in the show as well. The episode that nearly gave Dave a coronary involved a trade bill amendment that had strong bipartisan support but was, according to the show, going to be completely killed over an amendment against child slavery.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i made a pretty significant turn in my 20s. i can't understand making the bad turn though since it requires you to buy into all sorts of things that aren't just morally wrong but empirically wrong.

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I should have realized this was going to happen from the subject matter but while I listened to today’s episode there was a horrible moment where I realized that a Dollop was going to intersect with someone I actually know. Since it just came out today I’ll put this up behind spoilers.

There’s obviously a lot of speculation about whether certain episodes/guests on Jerry were real or fake, and unfortunately the dude who fell in love with his horse is 100% real. He’s my friend’s dad and it gets worse, because the horse was hers when she was a little girl. The dude hosed that family up so goddamn bad.