Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Tichborne episode might be one of their best but it's hard not to enjoy a story about Truth Butts

Seriously, that was peak Dollop. I checked my phone after a little over an hour and said "How the hell is this only halfway over? Where else can this story go?"

And that was before we even got the world's worst mother/"son" reunion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Ohhhh, boy, today's Dollop. The parallels were obvious throughout but right about the 50 minute mark I genuinely started feeling ill.

Luckily that's right near the end, so it was obvious that the downfall was going to come hard and fast. But that didn't make any easier to swallow.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I thought the audio quality was fine after the first 10 minutes or so, but that opening really was abysmal.

Great story all around, and yeah, I'm picking up some rye whiskey and honey this weekend. Ain't makin' no sissy drinks.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Me and my fiancee "Otto in the Attic" and cracked up. Then we listened to "The Terror of 1741", and did not laugh, because that was depressing as gently caress. What episodes are not depressing as gently caress, and are as funny as "Otto in the Attic"?

A big part of The Dollop's appeal to me is telling absolutely abominable stories in a pretty palatable way - though yeah, some of them leave you despairing, no matter how funny. That said, these were memorable episodes that don't involve the darkest elements of humanity exposing themselves and getting away with it:

The Egg Nog Riot (The story of the 19th century's worst college party)
Lenny Dykstra (Insane idiot fails upward)
The Dark Secret of Swimming Pools (You will never guess the Dark Secret)
Prince Albert Visits Australia (A royal trip turns into a comedy of errors and international incidents)
John Wayne Thompson's Armageddon (A young man in the Great Plains has a bad day)
The Car Known as "The Dale" (A story where every time you think you've heard the twist...you're wrong)
More University and One Taste Incorporated (Not to be enjoyed in mixed company)
Pedestrianism (Perhaps the show's best example of how bored people must have been in the 1800's)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Roger Babson's Fight is definitely up there for funniest episode in my book

Agreed. Everything about Mr. Babson was equally fascinating and confusing in turn, but the reveal of what exactly the titular fight is remains one of the biggest out-of-left-field moments in the show's history.

prefect posted:

This one depresses me quite a lot, but I know not everybody will have the same reaction. A teenage kid loses both his arms to a threshing machine but does not die.

Yeah, but he takes it in good humor, remember? Crackin' jokes with the woman who finds him in the tub and whatnot. He goes through that rough period of being a celeb but in the end he's alive, with both arms, and seemingly pretty well-adjusted despite the insane nightmare he endured.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 12, 2016

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I started listening to the Jetpack episode this morning on my way to work. "Seems kinda plain so far" I thought...but I stopped juuuuuuust before Larry showed up.

Oh my God :psyduck:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

AriadneThread posted:

i want to know that notary's story, such a small role, so many questions

https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/825043915505950720

https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/825044268544700418

I doubt she will be willing to answer them, however.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cael posted:

Also in "can't wait!" news:

https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/826885492889096198

gently caress yeah, Texas getting some attention.

They're not coming within 500 miles of me so I still get to complain, right?

rotinaj posted:

Oh boy. Dave said on Twitter that the newest episode would be rough. And it's about Enron.

:getin:

Enron seems downright quaint, these days :(

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Tickled is coming to HBO at the end of the month, along with a 20 minute follow-up featurette: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/tickled-hbo-documentary-broadcast-the-tickle-king-1201778507/

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I love the detour that yesterday's Monkey Whisperer episode takes into "Self-styled Doctor Doolittle decides he can solve 19th century African tribal wars simply by introducing them to a White Woman"

It was already a good story, but that was just a fantastic wrinkle in the middle of the (literal) monkey business

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPDVjid-4M&t=35s

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

They don't even have to cover his whole life and death, they could play up the rivalry with Cy Young and have that provide some structure to the plot while they go on a bunch of tangents in between.

"A bunch of tangents" here meaning "Rube chasing dogs he saw."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
3 men with the combined emotional intelligence of a 7 year old were given access to the world's coolest toy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

You have Dave's quote right, Gary is saying "I'll do one bump."

I believe the context is snorting some cremated guy's ashes. Dave is saying "hit" as if it was a hit of cocaine. Gary is using the same narcotics vernacular.

The quote in question is from the Ghosts episode, when they talk about how ingesting the remains of mummies was very en vogue for a period.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Under the vegetable posted:

Literally, this is Scott Aukerman's fault. He owns the ad company that places sponsors in all the podcasts and he's the reason that every single semi-independent video or audio production that runs ads is selling razors, berries, and prepackaged groceries iirc

Scott was a founding partner of Earwolf, which was just a podcast network, that merged years later with The Midroll - the ad company part - to create Midroll Media. He cashed out shortly thereafter, right before Midroll was bought out by media conglomerate E.W. Scripps.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Sometimes when I'm listening to an episode like the Chemical Reactor Block, I start wondering why I bother working a boring desk job when it's apparently incredibly easy to just con the living poo poo out of people, and governments, across the globe, for decades, without repercussions.

The simultaneously most and least shocking part of the entire story was that that the Buckley family was taken with the thing and worried that the Dems would nationalize it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It was on iTunes for me yesterday; a program I opened for the first time in a year or so, specifically to check this.

Really seems like a minor, temporary technical glitch that someone (Dave Anthony) decided was a massive conspiracy. Uber is not exactly in Apple's good graces at the moment, I do not know why they would go out of their way to protect them.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
There needs to be at least one instance of Gareth saying "Shut the gently caress up" with absolute conviction after the reveal of an absolutely terrible/wonderful twist.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

prefect posted:

I would not be surprised if Uber had issued some kind of legal threat, because that's the kind of classy folks they are.

Okay now I've actually listened to the episode and I definitely believe Uber flexed some legal muscle that got it pulled temporarily.

Much like they said at the end, I knew Uber was bad, I knew most of this stuff to begin with, but when it's presented in that intense nonstop parade of "Then they engaged in THIS cartoonishly villainous behavior," you realize just how horrible it has been for so long.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The last five minutes or so of today's episode is an instant entry in the pantheon of all-time great Dollop moments. A great reveal, and a perfect Gareth reaction that almost certainly mirrors your own.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Leper Residue posted:

It's not my favorite episode and I can't think of any quotes but 232 The Breaking of Glenn Burke; is one of my favorite episodes cause it talks about some really hosed up poo poo america did to just like one guy that is still important and also holy poo poo he invented the high five.

Like all baseball-focused episodes, that is a great (albeit pretty drat depressing) installment, but my favorite part is at the beginning when Dave is running through young Glenn's accomplishments.

"He loved to make the other kids in his class laugh."
"Alright."
"He attended church six times a week; two choirs, served as an usher."
"Okay...?"
"He bathed two or three times a day, but never felt clean."
"Uhhh, well...huh.

Can we say right now, maybe we've hit our first flag?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

beats for junkies posted:

Dave's got some good stuff for the new opening theme.

I hope he keeps "People say this is funny?" in there.

Because he says it in a funny way, but also after listening to story after story about "And then not only did the criminals get away with it, they also got very wealthy in the process" you start start to ask that to yourself, rhetorically.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I think it has something to do with this:

https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/889936167923318784

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yes, Maron ended last summer. I'm not sure how aware the staff was that they weren't going to be renewed.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slanderer posted:

deleted. what was it?

He's working on a Dollop about the founder of Blackwater/Xe/Whatever they're calling it these days

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

inthesto posted:

One episode that I don't think gets enough love is Phantom of the Open. It's a nice, lighthearted story about a man who's just delusional enough to never give up, but never smart enough to actually take any lessons. He's the guy you love because you know he'll never succeed.

Way, way up on my list. The idea of that guy getting into the Open because he submitted as a Pro just so he didn't have to provide a handicap, and nobody thought to check anything about that...just fantastic. Plus it has the legit/rare happy ending for a Dollop.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

alsothere posted:

Jet Pack Madness

"Pretty Bird."

Favorites you haven't covered:

The Egg Nog Riot
The Car Known as "The Dale"
The Dark Secret of Swimming Pools (If you liked Newport Sex Scandal...yeah.)
More University and One Taste Incorporated

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
He used the power of Squarespace: http://the-dollop-sources.squarespace.com/

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Update: José has developed a taste for human flesh

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbFll1xFdgh/

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Pedestrianism is probably my favorite "People trying to figure out this whole 'entertainment' thing" story. Boy were they tryin'!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Probably something about the Irish.

(All those potatoes, you see.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slotducks posted:

Which are the best episodes from like 0-300?

237 - Jet Pack Madness, first and foremost.

I just read through an episode list looking for solid recommendations and...you really can't go wrong with most of them. Anything that seems interesting to you probably will be. Even episodes I started thinking "this is just going to be a bummer" like the LAPD quadrilogy or the Iraq War turned out to be funny and engaging, even if they weren't exactly the most uplifting stories.

That said, when I started listening, I remember the one-two punch of 16 - The Two Daredevils and 17 - Rainbow Man being the point where I thought "Okay, I am totally down with this show." 201 - Roger Babson's Fight is a very memorable example of an episode where it starts and ends in two extremely different places, while 157 - More University & One Taste Incorporated is one that starts at "This is insane" and just continues to escalate the entire time.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Guy Goodbody posted:

What's the episode about the guy who tried to travel across Australia with a bathtub?

Was that the Burke & Willis expedition, where they set out with an ungodly amount of unnecessary gear?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

NmareBfly posted:

Tell us which ones you like and we will tell you other ones that sound boring but are actually amazing like, hm. The dark secret of swimming pools.

More University and One Taste Incorporated is still my favorite when it comes to "Wait, what is this one about? I've never heard of either of these things" to :stare: in record time

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Jet pack madness is a top 10 for sure

Just wanted to say I gave Jet Pack Madness another listen a few days ago and I think it's still the best, craziest story the show has ever covered.

"Larry visited Joe's family and told them he thought Brad killed Wright - and if the police wouldn't punish him, he would."
"...Can't we just get back to jet pack tomfoolery? Couple guys in a field with some oxygen, trying to go 65 miles per hour for 30 feet?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I write historical fiction sometimes, and find that The Dollop has a lot of information and topics that help me with ideas, sometimes. This leads me to a question:

I am writing about con artists around the turn of the century, mostly before it. Are there any good episodes that cover this topic besides the Victor Lustig episode? I love that one have heard it three or four times. But I am looking more for slightly earlier stuff. Suggestions?

The Prince of Swindlers is a recent one that covers this; Lord Gordon Gordon from a little while back is also good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Isn't that the guy Stephen Root played in Boardwalk Empire?

The very same.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what was it. i assume it was about matt shea. also gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Politico headline: What would Bernie bomb?
Dave reply: the Politico offices, hopefully

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

"Supernatural"
"What the gently caress"
"Dave being Dave"
"Gary being Gary"

I was not expecting "America's First Ghost" to just...end. No big reveal, no definitive modern forensic explanation, just "And that was the last anybody saw of the ghost, everybody involved died shortly thereafter, The End."

The Piedras Negras Jail Break was amazing. Meanwhile all the "Dave Being Dave" episodes are one that I have consciously avoided or shut off halfway through. I want to laugh, not sit there feeling miserable for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Very interesting episode, I was surprised that they got an hour and a half out of something that seemed relatively straightforward. I think Dave was projecting a lot on the "Workers/labor are trying to find ways to screw themselves" angle, though, as that seemed beyond the scope of what Rhinehart was consciously doing. What I heard was the story of a mentally ill (if not "ill" then, at the very least, "unwell") man who monetized his idiosyncrasies in an environment where venture capitalists are willing to gamble millions on just about any wild idea that comes along as long as it has the veneer of advanced science ("This man - who is not a nutritionist - skimmed a textbook and has identified the key nutrients the human body needs! This is groundbreaking!")

I bought a sample pack of Soylent from Amazon a while back, after the real VC money had come in and they introduced flavors beyond "nutrient paste." As an occasional breakfast/lunch replacement - It's fine? But why anybody would willingly want to live off of it is beyond me.