Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Previa_fun posted:

Dope Lake was an amusing episode. I completely thought it was going to go in a different direction at the start though.

I thought the pilot was going to somehow survive the crash and the story would be about him trying to recover his cargo. It ended up crazier than I could have hoped though.

I was confused as hell, thinking it was a repeat.
I've already heard of the story, but I must have read it rather than heard a podcast about it. Could have been a longform article about it linked in PYF that I read before so I knew what was going to happen.
Giving a quick google search now to find the story I found there's a movie about it, and a book on "dirtbags" that mentions it - apparently ever since the end of ww2 Yosemite has been full of a counterculture population of climbers and campers called "dirtbags".
But I think this is the longform article I read last year about the plane crash and the pot : http://www.mensjournal.com/features/articles/the-legend-of-yosemites-dope-lake-w209503

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
204 Ron Ansell, 205 The Sydney Ducks, 140 The Pig War
Also ny sanitation, airships, when the cars came, iraq war, lapd, boston busing

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Martian Manfucker posted:

do advertisers expect 2+ minute ads in episodes they sponsor or is Dave just awful at reading copy? i'm inclined to think it's the latter.

that being said, the hypnocult episode is one of the best in awhile. Gareth was very funny and the guest had some choice jokes, too.

They brought in ads about a month or two ago, then quickly added the promo with his kid or a second ad. It sucks because Mike Duncan at revolutions podcast just does one ad for the same poo poo for about 90-180 sec (E: razors, beds, or blue apron etc), while the dollop went from nothing to about 4min of loving around. And on top of that is tour dates.
Hell even Dan Carlin is less long winded with the ads, and that's saying something. Not complaining about free content, just commenting on you have to skip a lot at the beginning of the dollop these days, especially if you're in another country so every promo is irrelevant.
Also not complaining because at least they don't have ad breaks during the show that some podcasts do have.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 6, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
New one out. Seems USA Tues (aus wed) is now the release day. As usual skip the first 7min30sec at least.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
New one out. Skip the first 10min (unless wanting tour info or other banter)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Fo3 posted:

204 Ron Ansell (drug fueled orignial crocodile dundee), 205 The Sydney Ducks(aussies in san francisco), 140 The Pig War (USA and Canada fighting over vancouver area islands)
Also ny sanitation, airships, when the cars came, iraq war (must hear), lapd, boston busing

A lot of good ones been mentioned in the last page but also these are good.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 22, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Trabandiumium posted:

still hoping for a united fruit/chiquita ep

That would be good.
I wonder if when they go to Australia they'll do a thing on hutt river province (some guy in the 1970s WA proclaiming himself a principality, even going to the effort of coins and passports), he's still around and only this year abdicated to his son. It was a big tourist attraction 20-30 years ago

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 27, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'm not old enough to remember Errol and his films, but I'm old enough to remember the song "errol" by the band Australian Crawl.

"Oh Errol, I would give everything, just to be like him"

quote:

Convict state
It just won't rate
He want to get higher
Apple isle, the inbred smile
He's gonna get by'a
His mother's hand
He could not stand
He left for the islands
To fish and hunt
To take a punt
The new guinea highlands
Chorus
Oh errol I would give
Everything, just to be like him
He had to go
The sirocco
He's sailin' the high seas
Hollywood, captain blood
He's billing the nazi's
Took a rebel stand
With the contraband
Coast of Mexico
He want to pounce
Like an animal
To girls he just can't say no
Chorus
He had them all
Screamin' for more
He play the wild scene
Ah scandalize, no comprise
He's down on his knees
Swashbuckling
He was the king
The toast of tinsel town
They build him up
They took it all
And they just cut him down
Chorus

E: Those are just the first lyrics I could download and quote, but it seems to miss an important line repeated after the second half. "Don't tell me it's true. I don't want to hear about it"

I identified a lot with Will on this one. At first I thought oh Errol, this will be fun. Then :(

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 6, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Binowru posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from the Dollop (and these cartoons) it's that alcohol has really been the engine of history.
No poo poo. I mean you've probably already heard of the whisky rebellion (US) and the rum rebellion(AUS), plus all sorts of soldiers mutinying due to lack of booze. America's independence wasn't about tea, they were a bunch of rum smugglers that didn't want to pay tax.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Popelmon posted:

I love the four part series about the LAPD so much.
Definitely one of the best out of the really early ones (besides the rube and 10c beer night)

prefect posted:

He said on one of the shows that he just had some back surgery, didn't he? I could definitely see that knocking a person off their game a bit. But yeah, would have been better to have had him at full power.

I don't know about surgery but he said somewhere (not sure if on the dollop), that he has a spine condition so bad he can't sit down long and it's getting worse. He has a TV show in Aus where he really, really, didn't want to do it unless he could stand up the entire time and he couldn't, so he had to sit through the entire thing in agony and not say much.
If he did say something during last years dollop I'm pretty sure he went into more detail on one of his stand ups like critically wil or wiluminati or an ABC TV programme anyway. E: :lol: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-17/wil-anderson-arrested-after-incident-on-aeroplane/8627834

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 22, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Poor hippo.
I was spotted by the media near a garbage dump once. That poo poo follows you.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
^ Bad hobbyists!

This dollop was a great ep and I don't care about Larry David or whatever.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

fool_of_sound posted:

Fair, but most of those people don’t have a factual historical podcast, albeit a comedy one.

No, many of them have a news network, or a position in government.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Doesn't really matter and pronouncing things wrong might even add humour.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

mike12345 posted:

I thought comedians get heckled on the reg, how can he be such a little bitch

Because what is the point of it all? Provide a free podcast just to be bitched out? They could just be like "gently caress it, do live shows and people can pay to hear and only a few bitch", rather than the whole world listen for free and a whole heap of people complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

britishbornandbread posted:

Wells Fargo was ok when it got going but there’s a lot of financially complicated poo poo that’s all a bit grown up for me so I just had to assume I had to be outraged and depressed.

Nauru was just a horrifically upsetting episode.

On the other hand as an aussie I find their Australian episodes boring as I already know all that depressing poo poo. Which is why I'll probably never watch a live show when they come here.
Wait until one day you find out the Aboriginal Protection Board did not actually do any protection of aboriginals but sent them off as indentured servants
not paid, got raped

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 31, 2018