Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Dollop is my favourite podcast at the moment, and it's great to see Dave Anthony getting some success. Anyone else feel like he has picked up a few Greg mannerisms? Stuff like him singing a new theme tune at the start of episodes is very Greggy.

Toxxupation posted:

I'm surprised Competitive Endurance Tickling isn't on that list because it's the loving craziest loving thing ever

The Dolphin is fantastic just for being a slow decent into madness but Competitive Endurance Tickling is like an onion that somehow starts insane and is crazier and crazier over time

Even better was finding out Ash Williams (a regular feature on various Australian podcasts including FOFOP, which Dave is a regular guest on) has actually done work as one of the ticklees in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm not really looking forward to a full month of police brutality.

Yeah, it seems early in the podcast to have an entire month dedicated to one subject. One of the best things about the Dollop is how different every story is.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rodyle posted:

I generally have waved off the idea that Gareth is dumb for not knowing this stuff, since it's mostly really obscure. But then I hit one of the last ones I have left, the talking board episode, and he drops the "Ben Franklin wasn't a president?" bomb on me. :psyduck: I mean, come on Gary, kids know that poo poo.

On The Dollop at least, I think it's safe to say that Gareth is playing a character. The whole point of the podcast is him reacting with surprise to things.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Change (of name) we can believe in.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Luke McGregor is a funny comedian in person and can be great on podcasts, don't think this format was right for him though. He does a longer form storytelling, nervous act that doesn't fit the fact about history, quick joke, repeat, format format of The Dollop.

Plus I bet he was genuinely feeling nervous since he comes from Tasmania, where we Europeans managed to completely 100% wipe out the native population.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

I love the Dollop but if you're gonna straight up read an article someone else wrote (and get like $2k a month for it through Patreon) you could at least have the courtesy to be like "thanks for this episode go to [whatever site he's reading off of]"

Yeah. Dave posted that he doesn't have enough time to create a sources page, but that's a poor excuse when they are making money off this content. I'd certainly be fine with the Dollop only coming out weekly if it meant things were all above board.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Live Adelaaaaaaaaide episode this wednesday, I'm pumped.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

On Facebook Dave is getting agro at people asking if there was a backup.

There was, but it was on another sd card which he lost as well .

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Adelaide just this moment finished, but over two hours long and I don't know if it was the most rambling or best episode I've heard.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Maduo posted:

But did they celebrate and was it so nice?

Well there was an aftershow where at 1am the guys were on stage, a cake was brought out and everyone sung happy birthday to Dave.

The actual show will be interesting to relisten to and see if it makes any sense out of the room. The fact an audience member kept delivering them scotches means a lot of time is spent riffing vaguely on topic.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I am really curious to know what the numbers are like for their listeners here, but it must be massive.

At the Adelaide show (the one they were struggling most to sell tickets for) there were still hundreds of people in the room.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Maduo posted:

I love yelling about politics too guys, but we shouldn't force it on normal people and there are like 20 threads elsewhere on this forum you can have this discussion.

I will say I do miss Greg though, I wish he'd guest on a dollop. That might go horribly wrong, but oh well.

If only they didn't know him Greg would make a great Smollop episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Has anyone submitted an idea that's been used before? I'm currently putting together notes on what would probably be the most incredible Australian Dollop if it gets used.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GlenMR posted:

Today's second Dollop was a motherfucker of a show. When do the live ones go up? Regular schedule?

Without giving away any of the content can you tell us what the title of the show was?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GlenMR posted:

Alas, I cannot, because I don't know it. But it was about Macquarie Island.

Thanks!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Getting a poster signed after the show tonight found out that the story I researched was the first of the two shows last night. Super keen to hear it!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GlenMR posted:

That one took one hell of a turn man. I had no idea that guy even existed.

It's a crazy story for sure. I hadn't heard of him either but stumbled across him after I searched real Crocodile Dundee on a hunch and it was just :allbuttons:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'll grab the book out of support for the podcast, but I am curious how it will get humor across in the stories. I assume they are going for a funny tone given the cover and the fact that Fosdike is illustrating it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

I've always thought a Dollop on the history of roller coasters/theme park rides would be fun, but I don't know if Anthony would be up for doing the research himself, since I think you'd need to pull in a lot of sources. I know they have a lot of listeners do the research, how's that work? Do you pitch the idea first and then send in research, or do you just send a bunch of source links?

(I think this is a good idea for a Dollop because many of the rides in the history of theme parks doubled as murder machines, such as the first looping coasters, which pulled like 12 Gs)

I emailed Dave suggesting a topic saying I'd be happy to dig up info on it, he said it sounded interesting so I wrote a few pages of stuff with sources attached, sent it back, and they just ended up using it pretty much as it was written.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Dr.Radical posted:

You probably mentioned this earlier but what topic was it?

Rod Ansell.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

Goddamn, is their book not coming out until next May? I thought I'd get it as a Christmas gift for my brother to get him interested in the podcasts.

Also, podcasts are like, gently caress, the hardest things to try and convince someone to give a try. If they don't already listen to other podcasts it is such a foreign thing to them that I feel like I'm in my own Dollop. You pretty much have to trick these luddites into an hour long car ride to get them to listen.

At least the Dollop is easily available.

I'm a big fan of The Worst Idea of All Time, and it's a podcast where it is definitely best to start from the beginning. I've converted a few people onto it but they've just removed the first season and put it up exclusively on a paid service. Sure there is a free trial, but try explaining what a podcast is and then after the person is interested explain that they just have to sign up for a trial with this service and then download the app just for this one podcast and you might as well not bother.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wil is great (have seen his show at the Adelaaaaaiiiidddddddeeeee Fringe every year for the last few years) but I'm playing a Live Dollop drinking game now where I drink every time Wil makes a joke and then explains the reference and tells the audience to gently caress off for not getting it.

Yet to finish one of his episodes sober.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

The Jetpack story demands to be a mini-series, there's enough story for at least 8 episodes. Definitely a Coen Bros type project.

Make a season of Serial about this and everyone will forgot about Adnan.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BeigeJacket posted:

TROY ATLANTIS

That may be my favourite episode in a long time just because of the happy ending.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

rotinaj posted:

Does Patreon have a setting for campaigns where they turn off the thing that tells you how much they're making? The Dollop's one recently vanished, as far as I can tell. My other patreons all say how much they're pulling in, but the Dollop just says how many patrons.

Patreon added that lately. For the most part Patreon pages doing good numbers tended to turn off the income visibility, while those with less income leave it visible. I suspect it's counter-productive since now I assume that Patreons with hidden amounts are doing decently so pay more attention to those with lower listed income.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

Way, way up on my list. The idea of that guy getting into the Open because he submitted as a Pro just so he didn't have to provide a handicap, and nobody thought to check anything about that...just fantastic. Plus it has the legit/rare happy ending for a Dollop.

It's one of my favourite episodes. Listened to it with my partner on a flight back from a nice holiday and it was so great to have a Dollop with a happy ending.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

mrfart posted:

Hugh Hefner,

There must be enough material for a smollop about that guy? Or would Gareth guess it straight away?

Dave has said that he isn't interested in Hugh Hefner other than thinking he was an rear end.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

waffles beyond waffles posted:

With needle pork and thread, duh...

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm far down the podcast rabbit hole and my fiancee and I are going to the Thailand show next year.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

mrfart posted:

Also thought about this. But I'm afraid ko samui will be filled to the brim with Aussies and brits getting shitfaced 24/7.
And june in thailand is gonna be rather hot.
I dunno, might still ask my girlfriend. Or is it sold out?

Having been to a bunch of Dum Dum Club live shows that's pretty much what I'm expecting. Not sold out but resort is apparently selling fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Pretty sure those are the episodes recorded while they're on tour, in their hotel room, I think with an iPhone (because Dave forgot to bring recording equipment).

I'm pretty sure they started recording in the studio on the episode before Gareth's mom visits and dropped the Lil Garfy story, because that was for-sure recorded in a studio.

Recording in the studio is the worst because it means no more Jose, random lawnmowers, or Daves kid dropping shade on Gary.