Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anne Andrews

quote:

Dad used to say that there was no monster worse than human greed, and standing up for the working man was the best way to fight that. These days he doesn't say much, just sits and watches t.v. and drinks all the time. After the accident at the old plant killed most of his buddies the heart went out of him. I don't blame Mom for leaving, it's like living with a ghost some days. The company men that went round the town after the accident told everyone that it was "operator error" that caused the explosion, and because they promised to build a new plant in town no-one wanted to make a fuss. I guess they didn't want the jobs to go overseas, or to the next state. Dad tried to get an investigation going, to get justice, but everyone was too scared.

I know it wasn't the fault of those men that they died.

I know that the explosion wasn't an accident.

And I know that there are real monsters out there, worse than a C.E.O. trying to keep costs down.

No-one is going to believe me, but I'll find the thing that killed those men, that might as well have killed my dad. And I'll put it down before it can kill this whole town.

Character Sheet posted:

Anne Andrews, The Chosen
Look: Stubborn, Unwavering Eyes
Origin: Doing what's necessary.

Stats:
Hot +1
Cold -1
Volatile +2
Dark -1

Harm
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Conditions:

Experience Points:
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

[ 5 ] Strings on:

River 1; Maria 0; Matthew 1; Jamie 2; Zoe 1; Linda 2

Chosen Moves
To The Books
When the chips are down, and the sinister villain seems unbeatable, you can turn to your friends for research
help. Roll with the number of people assisting you. On a 10 up, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one:

• ask the MC a question (MC must answer truthfully);
  • your enemy gains the Condition secret weakness;
  • gain a String on your enemy;
  • carry 1 forward.

Growing Pains
When you fail to protect your friends, mark experience

Smiting
When smiting the wicked, add 1 to
your lash out physically roll and add
1 harm to any harm dealt.

>>
Your Backstory
You have two friends who you can rely on for monster-slaying support. Take a String on each.

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

Sex Move
When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all of your Conditions. If they disgust you, give them a String. If you disgust yourself, give them a String.

Darkest Self
None of your friends can help. They’re not strong like you are. You need to chase down the biggest threat imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or dangers that you encounter must be faced head on, even if they might kill you. You escape your Darkest Self when someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the hospital, whichever comes first.

a place posted:

The Old Plant has been shut down and closed off for a few years, declared unsafe since the explosion that killed more than a dozen workers. Of course, that doesn't stop nosy teens from going in to explore it, or to find somewhere private to make out for a while. What did they make here? Some kind of machines - maybe something military? Dad never said.

a rumor posted:

There's supposed to be a mass grave up in the hills, where there used to be a mine. Story goes that back in the 1890's a bunch of miners went on strike when people started dying in the mine, and the bosses hired gun-thugs to scare them back to work, only it ended up with almost all of the miners getting killed. Dad used to say that the spirits of the dead miners would yell at him if he got sloppy at work.

a person posted:

Mr Hill is the school custodian, and my Dad's only friend who's still in town and alive. He retired from working at the plant before the accident and he's hella old. Cool guy though, used to be in the Marines. Sometimes he comes round to talk to Dad, and it's the only time Dad seems alive again.

RP Agenda posted:

I want to learn more about the monsters - where they come from, what they are, how to kill them.
I want to maintain a sense of normality. Go to school, work, hang out with other kids.
I want to figure out what I'm going to do with my life after school. College? Professional Monster Hunting?
I need to protect people. My friends, Dad, the town, anyone who can't look after themselves. And that's pretty much everyone.
I'm afraid that I'm just crazy. No such thing as monsters, just a psycho little girl who can't admit she needs help.
I'm afraid that my powers are controlling me, rather than the other way around.
I'm afraid of the costs of my actions. Even if I am sane, I can't just go around killing people, can I?
I will never be a helpless bystander in the face of evil again. No matter what, I will act.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Oh ffs of course someone got a chosen app in before me.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

walruscat posted:

I can app something else.
If you want, that'd be cool. I like the mysterious viking past angle you have going there.

walruscat posted:

Weird that we both introduced a custodian npc.
Clearly it's ~destiny~ that the school have a cool old dude to help wacky teens with their problems.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GodFish posted:

Anne Andrews - The Chosen
Everyone knows monsters aren't real, so why are you so convinced that one caused the explosion? What does your mom think about your suspicion, and did you tell her before or after she left?

"Don't tell anyone - and I mean that, breathe a word of this and I'll beat the poo poo out of you - but I was there that day. Not in the plant, the guard wouldn't let me in and I was cutting school anyway. I wanted to see Dad, talk to him about some stuff without Mom being around. I was waiting for the shift to change at the picnic spot that looks down on the plant and I saw something, a man made of smoke and flame. He walked into the plant, put his hand on one of the buildings and it blew up. So yeah, I saw a monster, or a ghost or something. I've seen some other ones since then but they didn't seem as bad.

Mom and I...We had a lot of arguments before she left. I said some things that probably sounded pretty crazy, and I think she thought I was trying to protect Dad in my mind. Making up a story with a villain so that things weren't Dad's fault, y'know? We haven't really talked since she left. She invited me to come and stay with her a few times but if I leave, no-one's going to look after Dad. Or go after that monster."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GodFish posted:

How are you planning on tracking down a fire-man that explodes buildings? Have you seen its fingerprints, possibly other explosions, anywhere else in town? And what did you do to these other monsters you've seen?

OOC Question: Looking at the moves you took, are you more interested in Anne dealing with the culprit of the explosion as her focus, or it being her background goal she works towards while she deals with a variety of other monsters? Or something else you have in mind.

"There hasn't been another explosion like that since the one that I saw. I spent a lot of time looking out for other fires and reading police reports in case something seemed familiar, but nothing stood out. Just meth labs and arson for insurance. I think...I might have been looking in the wrong direction. Instead of looking forward from the explosion maybe I should look back? If it's an old monster someone might have tried to fight it before."

"The other monsters...mostly I just watch them, try to figure out if they're actually hurting anyone. I can just sort of see them, know that they're different, once they do something, uh, wrong. Not like a crime but like, walking through walls or changing shape. There's more than you'd think, especially for a town like Salvation. I guess they figure that hiding out in a loser town makes them less obvious. I've only had two fights with them for real. The first time I was working a late shift in the diner with the manager Mia Jackson. We had just closed and I was cleaning up when this trailer-park skinhead came in, all meth scabs and cheap tattoos. He pulled a knife and yelled about this place being his territory now, and then I looked at him and he was a dead man who smelled like poison, his flesh splitting whenever he moved. So I hit him in the head with a frying pan until he fell over, took his knife away and stabbed him with it a bunch of times. He didn't bleed. He stayed down, but I don't know if he was dead for real. Mia made me go home, and she didn't speak about it again. The cops didn't show up either."

"The second one was worse. There had been a news report about a man following girls who were out jogging after dark near the railway tracks. I go jogging most days to stay in shape for the track team, so I figured I could change my route and check it out. If it's just some creep, I can call the police, right? If not I thought I'd figure something out. So stupid. Long story short, he saw me first, and clotheslined me as I came round a corner. Nearly broke my neck, knocked the wind out of me. Felt like he was made of stone or something. He starts this big speech about how 'people like you keep chasing me' and we should just leave him alone. I stood up, and he grabbed me and threw me through a window. Abandoned house, thank God. At this point I just ran for it, heading across the tracks towards town. I don't know why he chased me. I don't know why neither of us had noticed the train coming through. It sure as hell didn't notice him. I didn't stay to look for a body. I don't think Dad even saw that I was all cut and bruised."

"Fighting monsters sucks rear end"

OOC Answer: I'd prefer explosion man to be a long-term background threat, and deal with other poo poo for the most part.

Edit: Is the purpose of the "Hit the Books" move to only be used against one big enemy, or whoever is my enemy of the moment?

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 28, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GodFish posted:

What is life like for you at school, and how has it changed since the incident?

You can use Hit the Books for any enemy of the moment, yeah

School's OK, I guess. I mean, I like reading and learning, I like gym class, I'm not getting bullied or anything these days. Most of the teachers seem to like me, they keep putting words like "conscientious" and "diligent" on my report cards. I do an OK job of balancing school, work and other stuff. I don't really have any close friends though, just people I hang out with. I used to be close to a few people, but that's one of the things that changed after...you know. I don't know if I made it clear but Dad was the safety inspector at the plant. He didn't get officially blamed or anything, but a lot of people got mad at him anyway, and I got in a lot of fights about it with other kids who pushed that blame on to me. One of them was with Matt Collins, who was pretty much my best friend since elementary school. His dad died in the explosion, and his Mom blamed my dad, and when I tried to talk to him about it we ended up in a screaming match. We beat on each other until a couple of teachers pulled us apart and we haven't spoken since.

So that sucks.

The other thing that changed apart from basically losing all my friends is now I'm pretty loving sure some of the kids in the school are monsters, and I have no idea what to do about it. I haven't seen anything, but there's this constant feeling like a storm's coming. Eventually someone's going to notice that I'm getting twitchy and weird, or I'm going to see something and flip out and hurt or kill another student. No-one's going to buy a story like "Oh he was secretly a demon from hell, officer. You can trust me, I have some kind of second sight."

Christ, maybe I am just losing my mind. No way I'm talking to the counselor about this though, I've seen what the kind of drugs they give crazy people do to them.

Edit:

OOC: I was looking for a song to capture Anne's combination of a sense of purpose, the realization that she's stronger now, and her fear that she's crazy. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmPNuruWMTA

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 1, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Also we seem to have about one mother between us.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews, the Chosen

"I heard that her dad hits her like, all the time. She shows up to school sometimes looking like she was in a car accident or something. It's really sad the way she stands by him."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

You have two friends who you can rely on for monster-slaying support. Take a String on each.

This one was tricky because Anne isn't a seasoned monster slayer with a support network, she's just getting started. Opted for the two who I thought would be most likely to have offered some kind of help

The day after I first fought a monster I was pretty freaked out. Partly because of the violence, the thought that I might have killed someone. Partly because of how much I enjoyed it. So when I had a spare moment I went to church. It felt a little weird, my family aren't really religious and I don't know what I though would happen - some cliche confessional scene with a wise old priest? We're not even Catholic. Anyway, the door was open and I went and sat down, just thinking about what had happened, when this girl came over and sat next to me. I didn't spill my guts or anything, but we talked for a while about...feelings, and doubts. She was a really good listener, and if I had to talk about my problems I think I could trust her.

Gain one string on Zoe Haven

I shouldn't get along with Ortiz. Dad practically spits whenever he hears the name, and his family have been bossing this town around (or trying to, anyway) for about as long as Salvation's been here. He's kind of an awkward nerd. But when I had my second fight and I was trying to attend school the next day looking like a crash test dummy he had a first aid kit in his locker, and he helped me get cleaned up. He didn't ask questions, or look at me with sad eyes like I'm some kind of victim. I think on some level he understands having to deal with this pressure to do things that people won't understand.

Gain one string on Matthew Ortiz

quote:

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

This one is all for you.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GodFish posted:

Group Discussion Questions
Where is Salvation located?
What industry supported the local economy before it backed out, dried out or ran out?
What is the school mascot and colors?
What grade are you all in?
What time of the school year is it?

Then if everyone could provide where you live (house, apartment, mansion, etc) and the state of your family (who lives with you, who lives elsewhere and who doesn't live at all) and finally let me know if I missed any rumors or locations established in your posts.

I think that Salvation is somewhere in the Rust Belt, maybe West Virginia? (I'm not from the U.S. but a quick look at Wikipedia makes it feel right.) The local industries used to be mining and manufacturing, but the mines ran out or got too dangerous to work, and the factories either shut down or blew up. The school mascot should be something that starts with an S: Serpent? Colors would probably be red or green, like the apple. I don't know how the U.S. grade system works but...the second last one? It should be the beginning of the school year.

Anne lives with her Dad in a slightly run down two story house a not-too-lovely part of town. Her Mom has moved away, and they talk mostly on the phone or by email. No other relatives live in the town itself, although there's a non-zero chance that some crazy grand-uncle or other lives in a shack out in the boonies.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_i8OlEMnPA

West Virginia is in the same mountain range as Kentucky, right?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

It's going to be easier for Zoe to seek Forgiveness than to ask permission.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hey Godfish, just so you can cross out a couple of those question marks in the OP of the game thread:

Anne still works part time at the diner, usually weekdays after school, occasionally late or on weekends.

The railway is still running, although there aren't any passenger services and the goods trains don't have any reason to stop. They do slow down enough for an enterprising hobo to hop on or off though.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GodFish posted:

The scene seems to be wrapping up, could everyone post here what their character is planning on doing for lunch?

Do you just mean eating, or general plans over the lunch break? Because in terms of food Anne is going to hit up the cafeteria, avoid anything with red meat or sauce, and probably isn't super hungry to start with. Otherwise she just mostly wants to chat with Jamie, maybe see what River's planning on wearing to the party, avoid Linda, chill with Zoe/Matt, and maybe be dimly aware of the existence of Maria.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Some people say Anne is outta her mind
Fighting monsters is her daily grind
Muscle and blood and sticks and stones
A mind that's afraid and a soul that's strong

You slay sixteen ghouls, what do you get
Another day older and closer to death
Please Linda don't you stop me 'cause I gotta go
I'll take the blows till I can't take no more

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my hammer and I crossed the train line
I broke all the limbs of a wandering ghoul
And the Tea Boss said "Anne, don't be a fool"

No time for thinkin', I aint got no plan
Fightin' dead fellers is my usual game
I was raised in the holler by an ol' union man
Cain't no-a black-heart woman make me walk the line

If you see me comin', better step aside
A lotta things didn't, a lotta things died
One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't a-get you
Then the left one will

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 11, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah, let's roll.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

my timing was terrible, I'll edit that out.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Taking a move from another skin for Anne's advance:

Smiting posted:

When smiting the wicked, add 1 to
your lash out physically roll and add
1 harm to any harm dealt.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

1) Fine for the scene to end.

2) Anne is going to try and cut the last half of school.

3) Prepare for the party - Rosie the Riveter costume with tool-belt for improvised weapon action.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I just posted in the MIA thread that I'll be traveling for the next three weeks. Feel free to put Anne on autopilot/NPC status to keep the game moving if you need to.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I'm back and able to post again.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Wow Jamie, things got Dark last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Thanks for running, it was fun while it lasted.

• Locked thread