Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Interest post - thinking of doing a Serpentine. Help me, I can't stop applying for *World games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Matthew Ortiz - The Serpentine

I think my dad is crazy. I mean, when I was a kid, I used to love hearing his stories about ancient temples and rituals to make the sun come up and floating gardens. But nowadays when he goes on about it, I look at our garden with the rhododendron and think "seriously?" And he goes on about restoring our former glory, when we live in a Podunk town that's too far from anything interesting. Then he asks me to go on errands for him. Harmless stuff, mostly.

I think so, anyway.

School is... okay. I don't have many friends, and sometimes I say or do something that makes people look at me funny. I mean, nobody picks on me, really? But I'm not one of them. My dad's rich, I spend my evenings playing Minecraft, there's nowhere to hang out except the mall... Like, I don't get it, really. I want to hang out with them, but everyone just thinks I'm the weird kid. And Dad doesn't want me to be friends with any of them. He says they're beneath me, they're not worth my time. He says I should listen to my family. What, the aunts and uncles and cousins all living in exciting cities, that never come over except on Christmas? What do they know?

He asked me to get him a knife from the army surplus store. It wasn't hard. I printed a fake ID.

Why can't I be normal?

quote:

Name: Matthew Ortiz
Look: Skittish, Darting Eyes
True Form: Green Feathers all over, a snake head
Origin: A family from old wealth
Skin: The Serpentine

Stats: Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Moves:
Failing Dynasty

In the age of serpents, your family was powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a shadow of their former glory. The Quetzel Bloodline wants to regain their political clout.

Whenever you are convinced to do the bidding of a family member, carry 1 forward to doing it and that family member gains a String on you. Whenever you help your family regain some of their former glory, mark experience.

The Big Reveal
When you reveal your true form to someone, they take a String on you. If they accept your true self, they mark experience. If they reject you, carry 1 forward against them.

Temptation
Your suggestions carry a preternatural power. When you convince someone to do something, they carry 1 forward to doing it, and if they succeed choose one: mark experience; gain a String on them.

Sex Move: When you have sex with someone, they become a part of the Failing Dynasty (and subject to the move’s mechanics).

Darkest Self
You aren’t ever going to be able to reconcile the human and serpent worlds. You can’t live with the lies and insanity any longer. You need to reject one side or the other to escape this madness. Run the gently caress away, hide, return to the bosom of your serpent family or abandon them entirely for the human world. You’ll threaten, hobble or destroy anyone who tries to keep you enmeshed in contradictory obligations. You escape your Darkest Self when you submit yourself to the old obligations once more, or you shed your past life and integrate yourself into a new family.

History
You’ve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.

Your family seeks to control your every move. The head of your family gains two Strings on you.

Harm: ()()()()
XP: ()()()()(Advance)

Conditions:
Carry Forward:
Family Commands:

Strings on: 1 on Anne, 3 on Zoe, 1 on Linda

Place: The Army Surplus Store, for when you seriously want to give kids access to dangerous poo poo. Anyone in this town who owns a gun, or any dumb kid who tries to impress their friends with a knife - they got it from here. It's run by old William Appleby, who's kinda deaf and kinda out of it.

Rumor: They said there used to be a killer in the park nearby. Said he killed two kids when they tried to go swimming in the lake. It's just a story to scare people, but people stay away from the lake in the dark. It's not safe.

Person: There's Miss Angela Dunlop, the school librarian. She insists on wearing this horrible pink cardigan all the time, and the younger kids say she's a witch. No witch with an ounce of self-respect would wear that cardigan, right?

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 2, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

GodFish posted:

Just ... a knife, is that really going to help? Your Father seems a bit washed out, just like Salvation. Surely somewhere like New York or DC would be a better place to gain power. Do you know how he plans on regaining the lost power and glory from here, or at least, why he insists on staying?

"I... I'm not sure I can tell you this. My dad tells me stuff, but not everything. I had to look up some stuff myself. And I can only kinda guess some of it.

My family are old. Like, really old. The way dad talks about it, I think we were around for either the Aztecs or the Mayans. And, uh, if you know anything about them and what they did with knives, well, it's not much of a stretch to imagine what that knife would be for, right? But my dad can't be doing that! They did sacrifices daily, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any rooms in the house for that kind of thing, hahaha. Like, I'd know, right? I'd know if my dad was crazy!

But sometimes dad goes on "trips" to other places, to meet the rest of the family. Aunts and cousins and things. We're all over the place, but we're not like what we used to be. So he goes upstate, or to New York, I have to look after myself for a bit when he's gone. Apparently decisions get made here, and my dad got chosen to do... something. I don't... want to...

Look, my dad's a good guy, okay? He works at the bank and he does long hours and he buys me stuff and he wants me to do well in school! He can't be crazy! I mean, I come home and he asks me how school was and it's not like he talks about trying to make the sun come up every day! He's just... weird! Okay?

Anyway, my family's coming down for Thanksgiving. Want to see how I'm doing. It'll be nice to see them again. Auntie Izzie always has a present for me from Europe or something."

OOC: Michael doesn't want to think his dad's a bad person. He still loves his dad, and has pretty normal interactions with him outside of the commands of his family. There's an obvious conspiracy in his family that he wants to ignore. Salvation was chosen either because it's out of the way and would draw less attention than in a big city like New York, or maybe because his dad's too crazy even for aztec snake people, and the family want him out of the way.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 28, 2014

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

GodFish posted:

Despite your Father's wishes, you've made friend at school. Tell me about her.

OOC Question: What sort of requests do you think would be the most interesting for Matthew to try and carry out, in general.

Oh, you mean August? She's... alright. We sit together in Religious Studies. She's pale and tin, and she's one of those weird druidy new age types. The only reason she's not got more friendship bracelets and mood rings on is because of uniform regulations. She talks about all the cool myths and stuff, like how Thor dressed like a woman to defeat frost giants. I like her stuff about King Arthur the most. She smiled at me once.

She doesn't seem to care about my family - or, at least, what people know about my family, which is mostly "weird rich people." Which is nice. I'm not "the weird rich kid" to her. I don't think she'd be my friend if she knew what I was, though.

OOC: The most interesting family requests, imo, would be ones that interfere with the other players whilst not being necessarily antagonistic. Matthew might stand up to his family if they ordered him to hurt or combat people he knew, but there'd be no harm in, say, "recovering" a certain book from the library - one the Chosen happened to be looking for at the same time. If he fell in enough with his family, Matthew might be more inclined to more direct requests. I suspect initial requests from his dad might be fairly low-key, and then his extended family could demand more extreme or dangerous tasks be performed if/when they get involved.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The third note is specifically for The Deleter: If I ever edge a bit too far into Serpentine territory, just tell me and I’ll dial it back. You’re the kid from a toxic family (who is also a snake-person) here, I’m just a deeply closeted guy that’s trying to make people think he’s just a kid from a toxic family. I think we’ll be fine, since it looks like we’re focusing on different parts of the skin and I’m only kind of a Serpentine in the first place. but it’s still worth thinking about. (Also, if we both get in we need to figure out how to handle both of us possibly applying snake food and all the other thematic stuff that comes with two people tapping into the same pool of moves, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.)

I think having both of us in the game COULD work, although it's not reccomended to have dupes in a game. I'll probably avoid Snake Food moves as Matthew currently is not big on holding grudges, but the best laid plans and all that.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

GodFish posted:

Lately, whenever your Father talks about making the sun rise and that stuff, you've been having odd, unnerving dreams afterwards. Tell me about them.

Well, there's this one that comes up the most. I'm standing on top of this temple, surrounded by deep jungle. Sometimes I'm in my true form, and sometimes I'm in normal form but I'm wearing my nightwear. The whole place stinks of sweat and smoke and... something coppery. I think it's blood. And there's this altar, and someone is tied to it, but I can't see their face. It's a different person every time. My dad's there too, only he's a twenty foot long snake thing, with wings. I guess that's his true form? I've never seen him in his true form. And he says, son, you have to do it, you have to make the sun rise. I say to him, I can't do it, I don't know who this is. I can't kill a stranger. And then he says it doesn't matter, the sun is falling, you have to hurry. I reach out to whoever it is on the altar, and I wake up before I can turn their face to me and show me who it is.

Creepy, right? That's the one I have the most. There's also one where I'm running through the jungle and a panther with Auntie Clara's face jumps out at me. I always jump awake on that one. I have a few dreams about playing some kind of sport, but they're pretty hazy, and I'm not a sports kid anyway. There's also one where I'm in this big stone bath being washed by girls in robes, but uh, I'm not sure that one's related to any of the others at all. Sometimes it's dudes?

I hope it's not prophetic. August is always going on about the meanings of dreams. I haven't told her any of them, because I have no idea what the hell she'd say.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matt has a mom! She's busy. Somewhere. :tinfoil:

Also if you lived in Salvation, the boringest town to ever bore, I'm pretty sure you'd have a weed problem too.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

GodFish posted:

Bonus Round, Question #4
Everybody: What does someone who isn't your friend at school say about you, behind your back or in front of it?

Matthew Ortiz, the Serpentine

Well that's... basically everybody. But they mostly just call me the weird kid with the rich parents. That's not a problem.

But sometimes I went to the games club, where we play all the usual nerd crap, right? Magic and all that stuff. I'm kind of an outsider there. And there was this guy, Mark, who was in the year above me, and who was meant to be really good. So I sat opposite this guy, all acne and sweat, and I beat him. He flipped the gently caress out. Sooo, I don't go to games club anymore. And Mark's the head nerd around here, so everyone thinks I cheated and I'm an rear end in a top hat.

I didn't cheat. He just wasn't very good. Should I have let him win? What did I do wrong?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

quote:

You’ve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.

Okay, so I know it sounds creepy, but I've been watching Anne Andrews. Just, you know... she seems so confident all the time, so I wanted to see how she does it, so maybe I could be more confident too. Also, I heard there were rumors about her dad, and she always comes in bruised or with a Band-Aid on. So maybe I sympathise a little. I helped her clean up one time, when she'd been ina fight. Pays to have a first aid kit handy, you know? She's... attractive, as well. God, I hope she hasn't figured me out. If it gets out I'm creeping on someone, I'm even more in the poo poo than I already am.

quote:

Your family seeks to control your every move. The head of your family gains two Strings on you.

I guess my granddad, Hugo Ortiz, is the one everyone listens to. He runs a bank or something - he's super rich. I don't see him very often, just on holidays and stuff, but when I do, he's always going on about the plans he's got for me, saying I'll be important one day. He wants me to do well in my studies, too. Maybe he wants me to take his place or something? That'd be cool.

Matthew currently lives in a fairly large house in the more affluent area of town, with his dad, Charles Ortiz. The rest of his family are not living in Salvation, but pop in from time to time - it's a pretty large family, so it'd be better to only list who's who when they come up.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 4, 2014

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Gazetteer posted:

Currency
- Jamie
- Matthew
- Zoe

^ I take a string on you three, and you need to describe "something off-putting" I have said to you at some point.

"So, uh... I think Linda might know what I am. She always scared me a bit - she always seemed really intense, like she had to micromanage everything all the time. And I'm not sure how she isn't dead from tea overdose. But one time, she passed me in the hall, and her head snapped around like some kind of predatory bird to look at me. Like, gently caress, it was some wildlife documentary poo poo. National Geographic gone crazy. I got startled, and she just smiled at me and said, "Don't be so chicken, Ortiz." Then she went off to her class.

"I mean, I might just be being paranoid, right? I haven't shifted in forever. She can't possibly know... right?"

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 5, 2014

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I want to see if Anne can get Hot or not.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think now would be a good time to go over boundaries and make sure we're all agreed on certain things.

I'm new to Monsterhearts, so I'm basically not going to try and push things. I'll pay attention to what others say and help keep the game safe, and avoid all the typical no-nos of Monsterhearts. I think I'll go ahead and say that I'm no big fan of body horror - I do understand it is a big theme of some classes, although they're not present as such in this game, but I find it really hard to deal with. I'll let you know if something is too much for me. That's about it for me.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 9, 2014

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matt's gonna hit the cafeteria too, in order to have his meeting with Linda. Then he'll go hang out with Anne and Zoe and be chill.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I want to ask - can I swap my starting move choice from The New Order to The Big reveal? I don't see any reason for Matt to end up triggering it in the near future, and the Big Reveal would work much better for the group I'm in as it stands.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
All good here!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
1) Good to go, boss.

2) Matt's just gonna go through his afternoon classes.

3) Will probably want a scene where Matt goes to Linda's house to pick up the tea. Going home and changing into costume might also be a scene but we can skip that.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Taking "Temptation" as my next advance.

quote:

Your suggestions carry a preternatural power. When you convince someone to do something, they carry 1 forward to doing it, and if they succeed choose one: mark experience; gain a String on them.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Gonna spend my advance on +1 Hot, because puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hey, Zoe, things are getting Cold.

• Locked thread