Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bell the Cat
Apr 5, 2004

Dirty pool old man. I like it.

1st AD posted:

This was after Sakurai lost to Anderson Silva in Shooto - Anderson was supposed to fight Hughes, but he signed with Pride instead and Mach got slotted in his place. Shame that he had to debut against the best welterweight of that era, but I have doubts that any of those Pride era Japanese guys would've ever made a real splash in the United States

Splash? No, I think not. But I have to believe that a couple of those guys could have been decent gatekeeper, top-ten figures. To wit: Crusher, Gomi, Gono, Mach, Ishida, and Sakuraba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
let's give olaf his due too, he was used as a punchline but he was tough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_m3jbdlcEw

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
No mid-tier PRIDE welterweight from the early 2000's could ever have been successful in the UFC.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Misaki, also, obviously.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i dont know a whole lot about jujitsu, it's imanari or palhares technically better?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i dont know a whole lot about jujitsu, it's imanari or palhares technically better?

Palhares, he's world class in straight grappling competitions.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Imanari looked pretty tepid on the ground against Bibiano Fernandes from what I remember, but those fights were awful and I'm not going to rewatch them ever. Just enjoy Imanari for the can crusher that he is, and dont expect too much from him or you'll end up disappointed.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

palhares is absolutely world class at no gi grappling. i've never seen imanari in no gi competition, or any grappling only stuff, except that time he got shut out against frazzato at deep x.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Chexoid posted:

Ikuhisa Minowa is always fun to talk about. He basically tried to base a career off the assumption that both pro wrestling and anime were real.

Also notable for:

-training by standing infront of a pitching machine and catching fastballs with his bare hands.

-training by racing planes landing at an airport

-nearly landing a rolling thunder on mirko cro cop.

and much more.

Minowa is the best.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
There was an article I read about a Japanese fight who had a "head based offense". The article was written to be humerous. I wish I could remember that guys name :(

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

There was an article I read about a Japanese fight who had a "head based offense". The article was written to be humerous. I wish I could remember that guys name :(

I thought it was Sakuraba but it was actually Fujita

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

THanks!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

SalTheBard posted:

it was actually more cranium

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Jeff Joslin was a cool fighter from Canada that emerged in the early 00's and just never caught a break. His dad had a kickboxing academy and he started training BJJ after seeing Royce in UFC 1. He won his first 4 professional fights by TKO in the first round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZMCUje3Vwg

He ran into Jonathon Goulet in November 2003 and lost by decision. Joslin lands a big one in the beginning of the first, but then gets pretty thoroughly wrestled. He still threw up all kinds of cool submissions with a very active guard and Goulet looked terrible after the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhSh6eRP5lo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGbO_HGoVRg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ3Y6CAwG6c

Joslin's next fight was against Jon Fitch. THE Jon Fitch. Joslin does pretty well in this fight, and some weird stuff happens. During an exchange in the first round, Fitch dazed Joslin with an accidental headbutt, breaking his nose and also knocking out a tooth. In the third, Joslin lands some big punchs on Fitch, Fitch shoots a desperation double, and then can't take him down so he calls a timeout. The ref actually stops the fight temporarily to let Fitch get a break and then restarts it a few minutes later. If you don't feel like watching the whole thing, just watch this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-iU6X3BUts

Joslin would lose by split decision. He tried out for TUF 2 but didn't make it, then he tried out for TUF 3 and was a finalist (despite being a WW, not a MW) but ultimately didn't make the show. He won another fight by TKO in the first round and then the UFC just decided to give him a fight because he owned. They matched him up with Josh Koscheck, and he gave Koscheck all he wanted but ultimately lost by decision again by being taken down and then nothing else at all. If you have fight pass, you should check it out.

After that, he had a series of concussions in training, back injury, and knee injury so he just retired. He still teaches in Canada I think. In a perfect world, I think he'd be a bigger name but he just kind of came in at the wrong time and had some unfortunate circumstances.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

How the gently caress was that Fitch fight not a TKO?

"Ref, my lip is bleeding and I need to catch my breath!"

"...sure?"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

After that, he had a series of concussions in training, back injury, and knee injury so he just retired. He still teaches in Canada I think. In a perfect world, I think he'd be a bigger name but he just kind of came in at the wrong time and had some unfortunate circumstances.

He still teaches, and also pretty frequently puts up instructional videos on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/Joslinent/videos

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Does anyone know what Mark Weir's deal was? He looked really impressive at UFC 38 vs. Eugene Jackson then at UFC 40 he comes so close to winning impressively several times against Philip Miller, then it seems his career was up and down, mostly down. He seemed really ahead of his time especially for a British MMA fighter.

Also this prompted me to investigate Philip Miller's record too, this guy beat a young Jake Shields, went 16-0 and retired in 2003 to be a policeman full time. I wonder if he could have been a champion.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Philip Miller was offered a fight with Phil Baroni and didn't think it was worth it for the money and retired. Most of the guys that stuck around through the old days are just plain crazy and loved to fight.

As for Weir, he was already pretty old by the time he made his MMA debut, and even in Cage Rage he couldn't find any consistency. He was a pretty drat good fighter, especially in the adolescence of the UFC, but as the level of talent steadily got better in MMA he was still the slightly old British kickboxer and his ceiling was pretty firmly established.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Anyone know what David Terrell is doing nowadays? He fought for the middleweight title once, then got a bunch of injuries and was released from the UFC in 2008. On wikipedia it said that he wanted to keep fighting back in 2010, but never did. He's from Alpha Male city, so does he teach?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Anyone know what David Terrell is doing nowadays? He fought for the middleweight title once, then got a bunch of injuries and was released from the UFC in 2008. On wikipedia it said that he wanted to keep fighting back in 2010, but never did. He's from Alpha Male city, so does he teach?

He still teaches and coaches, and I believe one or more of his guys are actually fighting in the UFC, although it's all dudes pretty low on the card.

Terrel was always known as a bit flaky mentally but supremely talented, even before he started fighting (there was a time when the unquestioned four best grapplers in the United States were Terrel, Lister, Laimon, and Almeida, and when all four of them were regularly competing Terrel would often go on hot streaks and then vanish for a while). A pretty well known incident was when he and Jeremy Horn were supposed to fight in the IFC, Terrel showed up either late or early (can't remember which) for weigh ins and weighed in when none of the other fighters were there. The next day, Jeremy asked him to step on the scale because he wanted to know what the weight difference would be; Terrel not only refused, but left the arena and no-showed the event. I believe Cesar Gracie temporarily suspended him from the fight team after that.

A friend of mine once opined that he believed that Terrel had serious confidence issues, and the reason he kept getting hurt in training was that he couldn't bring himself to step into the ring or cage unless he'd trained constantly as hard as he possibly could in the lead up - and since he was so afraid of taking even a single session off, he constantly ran himself into the ground and got injured. Obviously I have no idea about Terrel's real mental state, but that particular theory always rung true to me. If it is, I would imagine he's much happier coaching.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Oh cool, he teaches at NorCal Fighting Alliance in Santa Rosa. That is super close to me, I should check it out.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Oh cool, he teaches at NorCal Fighting Alliance in Santa Rosa. That is super close to me, I should check it out.

I totally forgot that Joe Soto was one of their dudes; that's probably his most high-profile student right now.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/The-Man-Who-Might-Have-Been-King-37643

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I went to Cobra Kai in Vegas and was pretty bummed Sim Go was not there. I'm going back in January but was thinking about stopping by Sergio Penha's place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fatherdog posted:

The next day, Jeremy asked him to step on the scale because he wanted to know what the weight difference would be; Terrel not only refused, but left the arena and no-showed the event. I believe Cesar Gracie temporarily suspended him from the fight team after that.

I vaguely recall thinking this brashness was some hallmark of the Cesar Gracie team. Seeing the Diaz brothers now, I guess that held true.
It is Terrell, btw.

• Locked thread