Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dreamcast rush owned because you could pretend the cars were powered by a jet engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Richard Burns Rally trip report: I passed Rally School and Richard Burns himself let me have a can of Red Bull with him.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I hope that someday, The Crew will be good.

Maybe someday...

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If you do not care how the cars handle, play racing games with your keyboard, and your experience with cars consists of public transport or driving an automatic commuting to and from work/school then the crew may be right up your alley.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 3, 2014

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Extra posted:

If you do not care how the cars handle, play racing games with your keyboard, and your experience with cars consists of public transport or driving an automatic commuting to and from work/school then the crew may be right up your alley.

Very epic condescension over extremely innocuous poo poo going on in this post. Well done goon.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's not blatantly arcadey enough to be fun in the way say Wipeout, SCUD race, Initial D, and Ridge Racer are.
It doesn't have enough sim-style components to be fun in the way sim/arcade fusions like Dirt, Grid, Forza, Sega GT, Project Gotham, and Gran Turismo are.

Wormskull posted:

Very epic condescension over extremely innocuous poo poo going on in this post. Well done goon.

There's nothing wrong with people who do that, I'm just saying the game was not made for people who enjoy certain aspects of the driving experience. It's apples and oranges. In fact it's probably a good business decision to make the game far more accessible for keyboard and/or gamepad users. Most average joe people who have a passing interest in cars will probably enjoy the crew.

zen death robot posted:

You'll find most people, including myself, mostly drive automatics to and from work and poo poo like that. Sorry.

There's no need to apologize for the reality of the situation. There's something about the handling that feels off compared to Forza and Gran Turismo that the majority of people won't even care about.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 3, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Automatics are better than manuals. Cheers.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

No way.I switched to manual years ago and it is a better experience.The only drawback is the steep learning curve, but it is entirely rewarding.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
City/traffic driving with a manual transmission blows chunks for sure. Also if you live in a place that has no twisting/back roads at all. Compared to that poo poo The Crew is the most fun thing ever invented.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Burnout Paradise was the best "car game" so far, to me. If I want a realistic driving experience I'll just go get in my car and curse at rush hour traffic like I do most days.

play driver san fran immediately

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

ArfJason posted:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
something i have learnt from 'forza' gamers is that they are insufferable wheen it comes to renditions of cars in games. much like gun idiots and guns in film.

more burnouts pls industry

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

VideoGames posted:

something i have learnt from 'forza' gamers is that they are insufferable wheen it comes to renditions of cars in games. much like gun idiots and guns in film.

I don't know a damned thing about cars and Forza is one of the ones I played most. Goodbye.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

zen death robot posted:

So is the complaint that it's an "arcade" racer and not a "sim" racer?
The complaint is that it's neither. The handling is unrealistic in ways that aren't fun, as opposed to Burnout games, where the handling is unrealistic in ways that ARE fun. Cars aren't supposed to feel this heavy, drifts aren't supposed to be this hard to get out of.

Let me put it this way: I had an easier time getting the car where I wanted it to be in Richard Burns Rally - a hardcore sim - than in The Crew. That's hosed up. That's making a game feel more simmy than a sim and I don't like it.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

VideoGames posted:

the reason why gun nerds get angry over films being dumb about firearms is because the people who write gun laws write them based on those films

i am not making this up

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

You say this because the vast majority of your roads are probably boring. There's nothing like rowing through the gears, even in a lovely car when the roads are twisty.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Wormskull posted:

I don't know a damned thing about cars and Forza is one of the ones I played most. Goodbye.

the difference with you wormskull is that you are a gamer, not a 'forza' gamer. there is a big difference.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Triple A posted:

the reason why gun nerds get angry over films being dumb about firearms is because the people who write gun laws write them based on those films

i am not making this up

guns are trash so it doesnt matter. this is not a thread to discuss gun laws.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

VideoGames posted:

the difference with you wormskull is that you are a gamer, not a 'forza' gamer. there is a big difference.

youre an idiot

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

elf help book posted:

youre an idiot

nah

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I got in late but I been playing some TrackMania 2 lately, and it's a pretty good one OP.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Tunahead posted:

A Star Wars rhythm game?

not sure if you put that in there on purpose or not but this exists and it's amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRTRGehkuM

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I got in late but I been playing some TrackMania 2 lately, and it's a pretty good one OP.
Valley rules, Canyon drools.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I picked up a copy of Richard Burns rally on thread recommendation. Also Moto Racer because I enjoyed playing that as a kid, wasn't much to it but it was fun.

Anyone got any love for Big Red Racing? Another racer I played as a child and adored. I think it was one of the first PCCD games we had.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Richard Burns Rally owns but it's a bit dated and that one french mod that's supposed to update it is a pain in the rear end to get going.

There's a few car games I play depending on what I wanna do:

- Assetto Corsa if I wanna be a sim racing tryhard
- Dirt 3 if I wanna feel like a rally badass with minimal effort and maximum graphics
- Distance if I wanna play a half baked Rush 2049 that looks like Tron 2
- Euro Truck Simulator 2 if I wanna deliver poo poo leisurely while listening to podcasts
- Spintires if I wanna deliver poo poo through mud and get frustrated when I get stuck
- BeamNG.drive if I wanna smash cars up
- Next Car Game if I wanna smash cars up and still enjoy the driving

They're all certified Good Car Games but I mostly just play Assetto Corsa because mods in that game are :krad:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

88h88 posted:

I picked up a copy of Richard Burns rally on thread recommendation. Also Moto Racer because I enjoyed playing that as a kid, wasn't much to it but it was fun.

Anyone got any love for Big Red Racing? Another racer I played as a child and adored. I think it was one of the first PCCD games we had.

Oh, I got ALL the love for Big Red Racing. I've yet to play a more varied racing game, and the best part is, most vehicles felt really fun to drive! :waycool:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm still waiting for a Good Car Game where you do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_9xBDx7nX8

Seriously, devs, get on that.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

ArfJason posted:

i put this on my steam wishlist. thanks for the rec.

Wormskull posted:

yeah its really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Rock n' Roll Racing is extremely loving win.

• Locked thread