Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Maybe you guys should import some weed from Uruguay and :chillout:.

The weed here is mostly paraguayan. =(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Badger of Basra posted:

I'd like this to be a general Latin America thread, I've always wanted one :unsmith:

José Mujica called Mexico a failed state and had to apologize, even though he's totally right.

I like that his back track was "no, no, what I meant to say were all failed states, guys".

More mass kidnappings reported by French media in the state of Guerrero:

http://m.france24.com/en/20141126-video-new-kidnapping-case-cocula-mexico-france24-exclusive-missing-students/

quote:

Video: FRANCE 24 investigates new Mexico kidnapping case
Latest update : 26/11/2014
The southern Mexican city of Cocula grabbed global headlines after being named by officials as the place where 43 students who went missing in September were likely murdered. Now FRANCE 24 has uncovered a new kidnapping case in the same town.

A witness to the latest kidnapping told FRANCE 24 that more than 30 high school students, including her teenage daughter, were rounded up in broad daylight on the last day of classes. It was July 7 – the children have not been heard from since.

During and after the abduction, the kidnappers told Cocula residents they would kill them if they spoke out. Terrified families did not report the incident to authorities or the media, until now.

Their collective silence is due in part to what appears to be another case of criminal complicity between local police forces and drug cartels that operate with impunity in the region. Although the captors were wearing masks, they took the secondary school students away in police vehicles that they did not even bother to camouflage.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Conquest by a European power worked out so well for the people of South America the first time around, let's do another round of that! :wotwot:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Conquest by a European power worked out so well for the people of South America the first time around, let's do another round of that! :wotwot:

Thank goodness for vaccines.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Frijolero posted:

Firstly, gently caress you. Imperialism is the reason Latin America has been consistently poor and unstable.

Secondly, it seems like your main gripe is with Bachelet and social democrats. So what?

Thirdly, I feel like the fuel to your anger is "How dare those workers demand more pay in a time like this???" Well you should realize that those wages will be a miniscule part of the budget. Also, there is nothing but benefits by paying people more. Especially people who do important public poo poo.

He's a Pinochet apologist really a good reason for taking away sociopaths rights.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

Hola mis amigos! Soy de Chile! Yo quiero un American Carrier Group y deseo mi nacion convertirse Grenada! Me encanta Ronald Reagan! Ciao!

This made me realize that I don't remember enough spanish to make jokes about Chilean spanish anymore. Something about unnecessary pronouns and muddling the language to make it sound like Portuguese or something.

Oh well.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Chilean labor law is pretty dumb in a lot of ways. Below are just a few:

3 really nice things that workers don't deserve smallbusinessowner.txt
Weird how Australia has/had worker protections very similar to these (having weathered constant attempts at erosion by conservatives) and still manages to be one of the wealthiest and happiest countries in the world despite their obvious stupidity.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

hoiyes posted:

Weird how Australia has/had worker protections very similar to these (having weathered constant attempts at erosion by conservatives) and still manages to be one of the wealthiest and happiest countries in the world despite their obvious stupidity.

I couldn't speak to Australia. Maybe things there aren't administered by gomers. Probably they do not in fact work the same way, though.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

hobbesmaster posted:

This made me realize that I don't remember enough spanish to make jokes about Chilean spanish anymore. Something about unnecessary pronouns and muddling the language to make it sound like Portuguese or something.

Oh well.

The funny bit is that ciao is actually Italian.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh well.

Chilean spanish is like welsh english.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

I couldn't speak to Australia. Maybe things there aren't administered by gomers. Probably they do not in fact work the same way, though.

Maybe you would have had a decent administration if Pinochet hadn't overthrown Allende. Who knows!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

wateroverfire posted:

1) It is very expensive to lay an employee off. Employees on a fixed term contract have to be paid out to the end of their terms whether they're performing or not. Employees on an indefinite contract accrue a month of severence plus one month per year worked. If an employee challenges their lay off as "unjust" (which they will) and wins (which they will) they can get another 50% in penalties and might even get their job back so that the whole process starts again. This creates some really perverse incentives compared to, for instance, an American style unemployment insurance system or even a more generous european system. But it's rooted in the cultural animosity between workers and management and so is untouchable.

2) Medical leaves of absence may be taken at any time, with doctors' permission, for anything from injury to stress, for an indefinite sequence of 1 week periods. While on leave an employee can't be replaced and they're entitled to return to their old job at their old pay plus whatever seniority they accrued while on leave. In theory this would be sort of ok but FONASA (the state insurance plan) gives no shits about fraud and the system is rampantly abused at great cost to the state and employers. When an employee decides they're outie it's not uncommon for them to take a year's worth of paid leave to pad out their eventual mandatory severence payment.

3) Chileans have to work a fixed schedule set by contract, and deviation from that without a bunch of paperwork is a violation for the employer if the employee complains (whether it was to the employee's benefit or not). Flex time is legally dubious. Allowing people to work from home is legally dubious. Allowing alternate schedules is illegal. Basically, we can't be modern about how people work. It frustrates everyone and yet it's untouchable because ARE WORKER PROTECTIONS.

These are all good things actually maybe you should rethink your economic positions?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

420DD Butts posted:

The funny bit is that ciao is actually Italian.

Chau, ciao, eh 50% is good enough

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Well actually...

Why do so many South Americans seem to suffer from this weird South American unexceptionalism. The fact there are stupid, ignorant, or lazy people in countries other than their own seems to be unfathomable. Yeah the girl at the kiosk had to count on her fingers to check the change to give from 3 reais out of 10. Seen the same thing in Australia, no big deal. But a middle-class Brazilian will walk away from her saying "nossa que povo BURRO aqui tem!"

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

These are all good things actually maybe you should rethink your economic positions?

If only they worked out the way you'd think they'd work out.

Alas.

hoiyes posted:

Well actually...

Why do so many South Americans seem to suffer from this weird South American unexceptionalism. The fact there are stupid, ignorant, or lazy people in countries other than their own seems to be unfathomable. Yeah the girl at the kiosk had to count on her fingers to check the change to give from 3 reais out of 10. Seen the same thing in Australia, no big deal. But a middle-class Brazilian will walk away from her saying "nossa que povo BURRO aqui tem!"

IDK. I think it's a matter of degree. I've traveled all over and while I've met some dumb and sometimes truculent people nothing seems quite like home.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hoiyes posted:

Well actually...

This is a good post. Depending on the country it's a mix of various levels of racism and classism. In Brazil, Peru, or Bolivia the level of racism is probably higher. The people always lamenting how dumb everyone is are white as hell.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
So unions are complaining about getting a real-terms pay rise (however small) during times of economic difficulty? Oookaaay.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Maybe you would have had a decent administration if Pinochet hadn't overthrown Allende. Who knows!

Maybe. Probably we'd be a failed state limping by on international aid. Chile didn't have the massive human and physical capital reserves to plunder that Argentina did when it decided to run itself into the ground.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Maybe. Probably we'd be a failed state limping by on international aid. Chile didn't have the massive human and physical capital reserves to plunder that Argentina did when it decided to run itself into the ground.

You mean when it was run into the ground by a junta?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

You mean when it was run into the ground by a junta?

Nah, by Peronismo.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Turns out making your country a neoliberal resource farm for industrialized nations doesn't turn out so well?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rscott posted:

Turns out making your country a neoliberal resource farm for industrialized nations doesn't turn out so well?

Australia? :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Eh, they (used to) make cars and poo poo in Australia

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

wateroverfire posted:

Which time?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Americas should unite was a global economic/military powerhouse instead of the Current United States bully hegemony approach. Imagine all the domestic activity that could occur with some changes to borders and drug policies. Instead of spending billions a year to hold Afghanistan together you create law and order in the greatest modern civilization in world history. Let Russia and China and everyone else work out their own problems.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

McDowell posted:

The Americas should unite was a global economic/military powerhouse instead of the Current United States bully hegemony approach. Imagine all the domestic activity that could occur with some changes to borders and drug policies. Instead of spending billions a year to hold Afghanistan together you create law and order in the greatest modern civilization in world history. Let Russia and China and everyone else work out their own problems.

At the risk of being glib:

"And Spanish shall be the governing language of this federation."

"Wait a loving second, whose Spanish?"

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Problems with Chile:

• Workers have some rights

Welp, looks like it's time for another 9/11

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

rscott posted:

Eh, they (used to) make cars and poo poo in Australia

Australia more or less went the resource export route predicated on Chinese consumption, we'll see how they end up. Also they are also having a currency weakness issue at the moment, maybe it is an economic thing not an ideological one?

wateroverfire posted:

1) It is very expensive to lay an employee off. Employees on a fixed term contract have to be paid out to the end of their terms whether they're performing or not. Employees on an indefinite contract accrue a month of severence plus one month per year worked. If an employee challenges their lay off as "unjust" (which they will) and wins (which they will) they can get another 50% in penalties and might even get their job back so that the whole process starts again. This creates some really perverse incentives compared to, for instance, an American style unemployment insurance system or even a more generous european system. But it's rooted in the cultural animosity between workers and management and so is untouchable.

2) Medical leaves of absence may be taken at any time, with doctors' permission, for anything from injury to stress, for an indefinite sequence of 1 week periods. While on leave an employee can't be replaced and they're entitled to return to their old job at their old pay plus whatever seniority they accrued while on leave. In theory this would be sort of ok but FONASA (the state insurance plan) gives no shits about fraud and the system is rampantly abused at great cost to the state and employers. When an employee decides they're outie it's not uncommon for them to take a year's worth of paid leave to pad out their eventual mandatory severence payment.

3) Chileans have to work a fixed schedule set by contract, and deviation from that without a bunch of paperwork is a violation for the employer if the employee complains (whether it was to the employee's benefit or not). Flex time is legally dubious. Allowing people to work from home is legally dubious. Allowing alternate schedules is illegal. Basically, we can't be modern about how people work. It frustrates everyone and yet it's untouchable because ARE WORKER PROTECTIONS.

1 and 2 are expensive for employers and actually contribute to lower wages because those things get factored into offers. They protect lovely employees, somewhat, but everyone gets payed less as a result. Awesome. 3 is a pain in the rear end for everyone.

As other have said, most Americans wished they had those protections. Modernity in your manner of speaking means ultimately less protection for workers. As for fraud itself, there are ways to work with that beyond just cutting those protections.

quote:

You have to understand the context. The U.S. has a pretty functional public school system in places that aren't poor. Chile does not have a functional public school system and hasn't since ever, really. The voucher schools are a lovely alternative to a functional public school system but they're still BETTER than Chile's public schools. The poorest of the poor (rural Chile) are hosed, yeah. It sucks to be poor. Bachelet's plan will not make it suck any less. No one is talking about quality at this point - it's literally an ideological putsch against the concept of profit.

Basically, it is a situation where a portion of the population has no hope of moving ahead because the state system has been under funded. It is broken and it needs to be fixed, and even if you believe many schools should remain privatized, there is little argument against greatly increase funding.

quote:

With respect, bro, you weren't here and you haven't followed the issue from inside the country. The right was going to lose but could have lost to a center-left figure like Andres Velasco, who was Bachelet's finance minister during her first term. Bachelet had huge star appeal that was pretty much unparallelled in Chilean politics. Now she's polling down around 50% iirc.
register.

She was president previously, and she is a known quantity, she wants going to have an advantage versus the right either way after Pinera.

Anyway, the argument for tax based incentives is weakened by the fact that Chile has had them for a while, and the companies that were going to take advantage of them are already in Chile and weren't likely to leave based on relative marginal increases in taxation. Chile if anything clearly needs to improve quality of education across the population if it wants to remain competitive and a future based on mining (in my opinion) is going to be suffocate the country.

Ultimately, I think Chile is in such a position Bachelet's presidency will come under pressure, not because she is a firebrand leftist, but because Chile is in a poor structural position. Basically, all countries with economics based on raw material exports or energy are having trouble at the moment and will likely continue to do so.

Anyway, from what I have seen about recent politics, it is hardly just leftists on the offensive when there are plenty of rightist groups on the streets as well and the country is clearly polarized. (Knowing Chilean history, this isn't unpredictable)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 26, 2014

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Every day OP wakes up and is disappointed that the newspaper doesn't run a headline like:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The Warszawa posted:

At the risk of being glib:

"And Spanish shall be the governing language of this federation."

"Wait a loving second, whose Spanish?"

Midwestern American Spanish, of course.
Because even in our Pan-American utopia Iowa is important.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

McDowell posted:

This is the one where nothing changes except for even more direct American intervention in their economies, right? This is a Eurozone/ECB/Germany/Greece joke, correct?'

e: No hablo Americano Blanco.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Every day OP wakes up and is disappointed that the newspaper doesn't run a headline like:

Latin American media is so hosed. This tumblr got started during the Brazilian election, making fun of Veja for their ridiculous headlines (one of which they moved up to the day before the election and then were banned from publishing because it was electoral manipulation): http://desesperodaveja.tumblr.com/

LULA AND DILMA ALWAYS KNEW IT WASN'T LUPUS

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

I like that his back track was "no, no, what I meant to say were all failed states, guys".

More mass kidnappings reported by French media in the state of Guerrero:

http://m.france24.com/en/20141126-video-new-kidnapping-case-cocula-mexico-france24-exclusive-missing-students/

So, uh, any reasons the military response to this isn't working? Too limited? Government is dumb? Counterinsurgencies don't work?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Glenn Zimmerman posted:

So, uh, any reasons the military response to this isn't working? Too limited? Government is dumb? Counterinsurgencies don't work?

Probably because militaries make for poor police forces, and if society destabilizes to that extent, the military can pretty much keep the streets clear. Granted corruption and incompetence, including in the military and federal forces, is also a big issue in Mexico obviously. It is a case of effectively what are now warlords with secure revenue stream dividing up a country with weak state institutions and little leadership.

That said, if anything it is surprising the US is letting this happen considering a stable Mexico is in its direct national interests.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Glenn Zimmerman posted:

Depends who the military is fighting for the benefit of at any given moment :v:

Nieto's strategy to "cool off" the narco wars appears to just be ceding large chunks of the country to de facto rule by cartels, which at this point are largely indistinguishable from many local governments. That's why you look at Iguala, the site of those student kidnappings, and the cartels and local government operated side by side.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

So unions are complaining about getting a real-terms pay rise (however small) during times of economic difficulty? Oookaaay.

Yea, and there are some interesting issues in how public unions should be treated vs. private company unions. At least in the vast majority of countries nurses and doctors can't go on strike just because, and even strikes among transportation workers is limited. It seems perfectly reasonable to have restrictions on what public unions can do when they are performing tasks vital to the infrastructure of the state.

wateroverfire posted:

1 and 2 are expensive for employers and actually contribute to lower wages because those things get factored into offers. They protect lovely employees, somewhat, but everyone gets payed less as a result. Awesome. 3 is a pain in the rear end for everyone.

More worker rights = automatically better seems to be the axiom around here, but that really does seem ripe for abuse. I'm really not sure why I should cheer on rights that could very well hurt the majority of people for the benefit of people who abuse the system.

Like number 3 is just nonsense in the global economy, I have no idea why people are mindlessly nodding along to that one. It's completely antiquated, like it presumes everyone is still on a factory assembly line or something. 1 and 2 have generally good ideas that probably just need to be reworked a bit.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Ardennes posted:

Probably because militaries make for poor police forces, and if society destabilizes to that extent, the military can pretty much keep the streets clear. Granted corruption and incompetence, including in the military and federal forces, is also a big issue in Mexico obviously. It is a case of effectively what are now warlords with secure revenue stream dividing up a country with weak state institutions and little leadership.

That said, if anything it is surprising the US is letting this happen considering a stable Mexico is in its direct national interests.

America's implicit agreement with the Mexican government has seemed to me that as long as trade keeps flowing and the cartels know to keep their heads down on the other side of the border America will largely look the other way and let Mexico sort it out (or not) however they deem fit. Sure, there's the Merida Plan but that's just another excuse to sell guns. Or the DEA can come in and take someone down when it is politically beneficial.

But then there's not really much that can be done until people are willing to sit down and really tackle the issue of violence and its connection to American demand for drugs.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

wateroverfire posted:

According to D&D the solution to economic and political problem in every country is to just go more leftwards

The less they know about the issue the more true this is

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Typo posted:

According to D&D the solution to economic and political problem in every country is to just go more leftwards

Well maybe we should try a more rightward approach.

Maybe a program for economic development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Typo posted:

Wow do we have two Pinochetistas in one thread?