Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

In regards to Nisman and what is obviously his murder, it is important to note that there is a deep internal conflict between the Argentine intelligence agencies, particularly within the ex-SIDE, as well as Army intelligence. The intelligence services are the only part of the military who have not had their budgets left to wither to inflation, and they're quite powerful behind the scenes. The new Chief of the Army is the former army intelligence boss, and he's been beset by accusations of involvement in the dirty war (and is most certainly guilty in some degree, there are witnesses who place him inside clandestine detention and torture centers). I don't know if he had anything to do with this, but it goes to the general context that these are institutions that operate how they want and with a fair degree of insulation from the rest of the state.

Both the AMIA and Israeli embassy bombing investigations had a very tough going from the beginning, and they have not made much progress. The intelligence services have been involved from the start. The whole thing with Iran was a cock up that went nowhere.

It's rather tenuous and fantastical to think that the President ordered this man killed, but it is evident that he clearly knew something, or was extremely close to discovering something important. This is probably an internal fix.

E:

This is because a hundred and fifty years ago the 7th male son of a family would be pretty much destined to be a social pariah. At the very least get beaten up at school etc. At worst killed or driven to live in the mountains or something. The tradition of the president becoming the godfather (or godmother, now) is so that nobody would gently caress with these poor kids (given that there was no foundation, surprisingly, that these kids would turn into werewolves). It's obviously just a silly photo op for a slow news day now.

It used to be pretty fun to read the (supposedly) former SIDE agents forum, seprin.com.ar, to see what are the new conspiracies around the government and everything in the news but now It looks like they weren't loving around.

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I'm about to spend a few months in Argentina and Chile, and I was talking to someone I know in Buenos Aires and she said people are banging pots and pans (one hour ago). Sounds like there are some demonstrations tonight, too.

This is more... common than you would think. It started as a form of protest ("cacerolazo", cacerola = pot/pan) around 2001 when the economy collapsed. But nowadays it's been sort of ran into the ground.

E: VVV Also when the lights get cut off because the city's energy infrastructure is poo poo. I mean, I get it for the few neighborhoods that have no lights for weeks on end, but my neighbors did it after an afternoon once and we've always gotten our electricity back pretty soon.

Markovnikov fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 20, 2015

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I think it was in 2013 or early 2014 that there were cacerolazos every time the president spoke on tv, and that was almost daily.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

hecko posted:

It used to be pretty fun to read the (supposedly) former SIDE agents forum, seprin.com.ar, to see what are the new conspiracies around the government and everything in the news but now It looks like they weren't loving around.

Those guys don't gently caress around, ever. Sometimes they're successful, that's the only difference. And the removal of the former head of intellgence (the "señor cinco") and replaced with a guy you could call Cristina Kirchner's right hand (Oscar Parrilli) didn't make anything but entice them to go full speed ahead with their ops.

In the meantime this is the information about the prosecutor's death. In a nutshell, nothing's ruled out but suicide looks very likely, with the body found blocking the bathroom door on the inside and no other possible access, and the gun seemingly having been fired by Nisman himself, still pending gunpowder-on-tissue check under microscope.
http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/179902/prosecutor-fein-no-third-party-in-death-of--nisman-forced-suicide-not-ruled-out

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Iranians would. Its certainly an interesting death.

She must be crushed before it is too late.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I don't think he was murdered really. He lived in one of the most secure ares in Buenos Aires (as in, any strange event would have been caught by a million security cameras), had police custody (which could be a good or bad thing here really), and from the data we've been getting so far it looks like a classic Sherlockian closed-room death. It does go to show that sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.

It will kick up a whole lot of sand, specially it being an election year.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Iranians would. Its certainly an interesting death.
I've always heard the rumour that Menem's (president during the 90's, hosed up the country a whole bunch) son, who died in a helicopter crash, was actually offed/made to crash by them or someone else in Menem's shady arms deals.
If any of you ever want to see what neoliberal politics are capable of, read about Menem.

Markovnikov fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 20, 2015

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

Markovnikov posted:

I don't think he was murdered really. He lived in one of the most secure ares in Buenos Aires (as in, any strange event would have been caught by a million security cameras), had police custody (which could be a good or bad thing here really), and from the data we've been getting so far it looks like a classic Sherlockian closed-room death. It does go to show that sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.

Not just police custody but the coast guard (the Naval Prefecture) as well. Strange as it sounds, that area is still legally a harbor and the Argentine coast guard has it under their watch.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I don't see the point of killing yourself in a position like the one he was in. I do think it could be possible he was forced to commit suicide, maybe some relatives of his were threatened if he didn't.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Azran posted:

I don't see the point of killing yourself in a position like the one he was in. I do think it could be possible he was forced to commit suicide, maybe some relatives of his were threatened if he didn't.

The investigating prosecutor said she's not ruling that out yet. Apparently he had asked to borrow the pistol from someone in his office that he shot himself with, weird.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

The investigating prosecutor said she's not ruling that out yet. Apparently he had asked to borrow the pistol from someone in his office that he shot himself with, weird.

CSI better make an episode out of this or something. :v:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Yes it's now been confirmed that he only had that weapon in his possession for a few hours before killing himself. The weapon (a. 22 caliber pistol ) wasn't his property or registered to him in any way. The president has published a letter in which she defends herself and her administration's conduct, obviously, and also slings a lot of accusations around and keeps banging the media conspiracy drum. Nothing new.

There were marches in every major city pretty much. There was even a march in Punta del Este :cryingmediopelo:

The investigation has not ruled out an "induced suicide"

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
Apparently he owned a .32? According to this journalist: https://twitter.com/ntarnopolsky

But who knows. Why would he kill himself without leaving any note or anything? To me, that makes it obviously murder or "suicidio inducido".

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Also, a new update says there was little to no trace of gunpowder on his hands. It does say it was such a small weapon that it would be hard to find some residue, but still.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
Here's the article: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1761553-no-encontraron-vestigios-de-polvora-en-las-manos-del-fiscal-alberto-nisman

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

Apparently he owned a .32? According to this journalist: https://twitter.com/ntarnopolsky

But who knows. Why would he kill himself without leaving any note or anything? To me, that makes it obviously murder or "suicidio inducido".

Especially in his situation - if you know you're willingly balls deep into something that might well kill you/severly hurt you and your family, I don't really see him just killing himself like this.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Today they found a 3rd, somewhat hidden access to the apartment, where they found a fresh footprint and a fingerprint (from here).

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
And the locksmith said the service door wasn't really locked from the inside.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
Apparently with a .22, there usually isn't much GSR, but this is in Argentina where the bullets would typically be of low quality for your regular .22 owner in say the USA, meaning they emit a lot more GSR (someone else's explanation, not mine). "He" also shot "himself" behind his ear.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
It seems that drug cartels are now using drones loaded with drugs to cross the border.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/in-english/2015/drone-carrying-drugs-falls-down-in-tijuana-100426.html

guess they beat Amazon Prime Air.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

El Laucha posted:

Today they found a 3rd, somewhat hidden access to the apartment, where they found a fresh footprint and a fingerprint (from here).

I keep saying this is out of some loving spy thriller. Someone get on that book deal.

Qué país generoso.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

I keep saying this is out of some loving spy thriller. Someone get on that book deal.

Qué país generoso.

Argentina has a history with very, very shady accidental deaths and suicides in the 90's. You know, the decade in which the case he was investigating took place.

What I'm saying is that we don't just have material for a book, but for a whole series.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Mrs. K would make a good Bond villain.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Is that a parody newspaper?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

papasyhotcakes posted:

It has to be.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Yes. Think of it as the Argentinian Charlie Hebdo for the closest analogue.

"Hope: It is trusted that when prosecutor Nissman's death is explained, it will explain the cover-up that, once explained, will explain the AMIA bombing"
Under that: "Second Edition: Unexpected Twist: The prosecutor might have drawn caricatures of the SIDE (the spy agency)"

Markovnikov fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 22, 2015

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

papasyhotcakes posted:

It is and it owns.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

hecko posted:

It is and it owns.

I stand clarified by the clarification clarificated in this clarificating posts.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Barcelona is the only newspaper I could actually trust.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Loving that motto:

"An European solution for the Argentine's problems." :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

El Chingon posted:

It seems that drug cartels are now using drones loaded with drugs to cross the border.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/in-english/2015/drone-carrying-drugs-falls-down-in-tijuana-100426.html

guess they beat Amazon Prime Air.

Drones are robbing good honest working class people of jobs.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
According to Buzzfeed the president is now saying rogue intelligence agents murdered the guy? This is such a weird story.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

The guy who broke the story fled the country to Israel and was apparently tracked by spies.

Is it just assumed that this is never going to be solved?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Fat Lowtax posted:

The guy who broke the story fled the country to Israel and was apparently tracked by spies.

Bear in mind that this is the kind of poo poo that happens in my country:

For those unaware, that's the official Twitter account from the Presidential Palace. The Tweet was also shared by other state agencies and such.

:laffo: :laffo:

He fled to Israel from Uruguay so that he didn't had to take an Aerolineas Argentinas flight. Of course, those aligned with the govt. are saying that he's a zionist pig alligned with mossad and all that kind of bullshit you'd expect from the shitbrains that keep supporting these people.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Nothing beats all the people I see day to day that think this is just:

- A plot to make our current government look bad (as if they needed help)

- A cover up for the TRUE KILLER: the media (or any particular media person, like Jorge Lanata)

- Another Jewish crime, where Israel wants to keep the truth hidden.

- A drug deal gone wrong that has absolutely nothing to do with anything else.

I did find a particularly funny quote today:

quote:

This crime will never be resolved and the truth will be never be revealed... because the truth is just a subjective construction made by individuals or groups of individuals. Ergo, truth as a concept is invalid.

:smaug:

Seriously though, I hope nothing happens to Pachter.

Azran fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 25, 2015

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

Azran posted:

Seriously though, I hope nothing happens to Pachter.

The guy's definitely overreacting. He didn't reveal anything different or out of place (like any clues suggesting a real conspiracy from the government) yet he says he fled because the government is out to get him? The whole connection journalism/spies in Argentina is by now a classic discussion. It's only now the general public is seeing how deep it is.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Fat Lowtax posted:

It doesn't seem that unlikely that the reporter did the job himself or was involved with whoever did after the prosecutor found evidence that Iran wasn't involved in the Jewish center bombing. There's certainly one country that would not like a result exonerating Iran. How strange that the reporter suddenly flew to that very country.

Either that or is was Colonel Mustard. That guy's a dick.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Azran posted:

I did find a particularly funny quote today:

quote:

This crime will never be resolved and the truth will be never be revealed... because the truth is just a subjective construction made by individuals or groups of individuals. Ergo, truth as a concept is invalid.

:smaug:

Please tell me that this was said by someone of consequence, and not just from the comments section of a news site. :pray:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

7of7 posted:

It doesn't seem that unlikely that the reporter did the job himself or was involved with whoever did after the prosecutor found evidence that Iran wasn't involved in the Jewish center bombing. There's certainly one country that would not like a result exonerating Iran. How strange that the reporter suddenly flew to that very country.

Either that or is was Colonel Mustard. That guy's a dick.

Haha seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I just re read that post, and did he just imply Pacther killed Nisman.

Please tell me that this was said by someone of consequence, and not just from the comments section of a news site. :pray:
[/quote]

Sadly, no - just a friend of mine. It was still pretty funny.