Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Looking for a recommendation for glass jars, primarily large ones for food storage, but a few smaller ones for spices as well.
I see a bunch of options, but no idea which ones are durable without being exorbitantly expensive.

If it doesn't have to be glass: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SYQXZ8B/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Looking for a recommendation for glass jars, primarily large ones for food storage, but a few smaller ones for spices as well.
I see a bunch of options, but no idea which ones are durable without being exorbitantly expensive.

Ball jars all the way, they’re cheap and you can’t get much more practical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sDNIwAx2g8

Also I like using the one cup size for wine but I have a huge collection of these jars

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm looking for affordable, good quality headphones. At night, when my wife and kid are asleep, I use them when I'm playing games so that there isn't any noise to wake them up, and a lot I've tried off the shelf are pretty meh, and earbuds just hurt my ears. I've not found a really good pair anywhere in town, and I'm afraid of accidentally ordering hot garbage online. What do you guys recommend?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Leavemywife posted:

I'm looking for affordable, good quality headphones. At night, when my wife and kid are asleep, I use them when I'm playing games so that there isn't any noise to wake them up, and a lot I've tried off the shelf are pretty meh, and earbuds just hurt my ears. I've not found a really good pair anywhere in town, and I'm afraid of accidentally ordering hot garbage online. What do you guys recommend?

There's a whole thread on headphones for you

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oh, holy poo poo. I should have known there'd be a thread on that.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Instead of getting those, go to a restaurant supply store and buy Cambro products. They are usually significantly cheaper, have universal sizing and are very well regarded (basically every commercial kitchen uses them).

See, e.g.,
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3087/food-storage-containers.html?vendor=Cambro

If you need glass, yea,I’d agree with the other poster and just use ball mason jars in the sizes you need/want.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

1redflag posted:

Instead of getting those, go to a restaurant supply store and buy Cambro products. They are usually significantly cheaper, have universal sizing and are very well regarded (basically every commercial kitchen uses them).

See, e.g.,
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3087/food-storage-containers.html?vendor=Cambro

If you need glass, yea,I’d agree with the other poster and just use ball mason jars in the sizes you need/want.

Ugly as gently caress and don't really seal. Fine for a commercial kitchen.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Re: Containers: I was thinking about picking up some Rubbermaid Brilliance containers, mainly because of how terrible the ones I currently use are and the positive review here:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dry-food-storage-containers/

But I haven’t yet bought them so I can’t say whether Wirecutter is full of poo poo on this.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Anybody know where I can find scans of LEGO set instructions online? Particularly sets from the 90s?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

queserasera posted:

Anybody know where I can find scans of LEGO set instructions online? Particularly sets from the 90s?

Have you already checked what Lego has on their site?
https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/search

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oi, no posts in this thread in over a month...

... gently caress it, might as well crosspost it here anyway.

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m looking for a laptop carrying bag/case that will fit a new Dell XPS 17. I need something messenger bag or briefcase style, with regular carrying handles, a shoulder strap, and a trolley strap (aka that thing you use to strap it to the handle on your rolling luggage). I don’t give a loving poo poo how big it is, as long as I can carry it around in one hand. I DON’T WANT A loving BACKPACK, and I don’t want it to have wheels or a telescopic handle like a suitcase unless that’s the best I can get with all of the other features I want. I also don’t give a poo poo how much it costs.

I DO NOT have to get it from Dell.com like I mentioned earlier; I can save that Dell Rewards money for something else.

Here’s a list of the features I NEED it to have:
• Impact resistant and/or shock resistant
• Water resistant
• All the other poo poo I said in the paragraph above

And the features I REALLY REALLY WANT IF I CAN GET THEM, but don’t necessarily need:
• Checkpoint friendly
• Enough storage space to hold a power cable, a mouse, maybe a peripheral or two, etc

Or, if y’all don’t have any recommendations for specific cases or bags, then can you at least tell me other places I can go to find some? I’ve already checked Dell.com and Amazon, and Google isn’t showing me many other options besides Best Buy or Staples. I don’t want any cheap Chinese garbage like Amazon seems to be filled with nowadays.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/laptop-bags/products/air-porter-carry-on-bag

Maybe not specifically that one but their bags

George H.W. Cunt has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Jul 1, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

quote:

$359

Okay I care a little bit how much it costs :gonk:

Somebody in the Laptop megathread linked this site too. Is that where you got it from?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

https://www.redoxx.com/cpa-laptop-briefcase-92096/p?skuId=701807

I use this one. In terms of space it will fit giant laptops with room to spare. It's padded and weather resistant. I've used mine for four years of a job with 75% travel and it doesn't show much wear.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

I. M. Gei posted:

Transit Arkiv or Khyte. I have the Khyte and love it for my commute, before the time of corona, but it sounds like the Transit may have some of the options you're looking for.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I love Waterfield bags. I got one back in...2007? And it’s still going strong. (Their Cargo bag, though at the time it was a little cheaper because it came in a yellow synthetic fabric instead of the leather. Also had an airplane seat buckle instead of the paragliding buckle. At the time it did not have that weird slot for slipping over wheeled luggage handles.)

In fact, I liked it so much I picked up a Muzetto in 2012 or so, so I’d have a more professional looking bag for work-related stuff.

Yes, they’re pricey. But most bags that are big enough for a 17” laptop and are good enough to last for a while are going to be $150 and up, so $350 for something that’s fairly high quality and looks more professional that a Timbuk2 bag is pretty reasonable. (That’s not to say that a Timbuk2 bag can’t look professional. Depends on the industry, but for lots of stuff that’s totally fine. Leather just classes things up and costs more. But I think a go-to messenger bag recommend for over a decade has been Timbuk2. I don’t particularly like them but to each their own.)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/laptop-bags/products/cadet?variant=14816806961215

And appropriate size model of this

https://www.tombihn.com/products/cache?variant=6900280393791

I think it’s going to be size 15b but best check the sizing guide yourself.

It’s going to be $215 total, so maybe still to expensive?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Arcturas posted:

I love Waterfield bags. I got one back in...2007? And it’s still going strong. (Their Cargo bag, though at the time it was a little cheaper because it came in a yellow synthetic fabric instead of the leather. Also had an airplane seat buckle instead of the paragliding buckle. At the time it did not have that weird slot for slipping over wheeled luggage handles.)

In fact, I liked it so much I picked up a Muzetto in 2012 or so, so I’d have a more professional looking bag for work-related stuff.

Yes, they’re pricey. But most bags that are big enough for a 17” laptop and are good enough to last for a while are going to be $150 and up, so $350 for something that’s fairly high quality and looks more professional that a Timbuk2 bag is pretty reasonable. (That’s not to say that a Timbuk2 bag can’t look professional. Depends on the industry, but for lots of stuff that’s totally fine. Leather just classes things up and costs more. But I think a go-to messenger bag recommend for over a decade has been Timbuk2. I don’t particularly like them but to each their own.)

sigh...... I don’t suppose any of these Waterford bags are both impact/shock-resistant and checkpoint friendly?

The product descriptions I saw didn’t really say anything about either.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
How's this? https://www.rickshawbags.com/cosmo-briefcase

I use one of their messenger bags on a daily basis and it's amazingly well-built. Customize it with the X-Pac on the outside and it's incredibly water-resistant too. Not sure how well the padding translates to impact/shock resistance but you could probably just ask them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Forgot to add, I actually don’t hate the look of this, but the inside dimensions are just slightly too small for a new XPS 17.

A new Dell XPS 17 is 14.74” x 9.76” (x 0.77”)
This bag can only hold 14.10” x 9.60”

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Forgot to add, I actually don’t hate the look of this, but the inside dimensions are just slightly too small for a new XPS 17.

A new Dell XPS 17 is 14.74” x 9.76” (x 0.77”)
This bag can only hold 14.10” x 9.60”

The reason they're kinda rare is because unless you're built like an NFL player having that much weight on one side of your body is going to piss you off pretty quickly

I used to be part of that 'lol backpacks are for kids' camp - 3 tumi briefcases (went more compact to limit how much poo poo I could put in it, then got a convertible when that didn't work, realised I couldn't be hosed to convert it plus it made for a half-assed backpack anyway) and probably enough lugging around of my 14" work laptop + charger / mouse + ipad + water bottle later I finally said gently caress it and got a proper backpack

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

.Z. posted:

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/laptop-bags/products/cadet?variant=14816806961215

And appropriate size model of this

https://www.tombihn.com/products/cache?variant=6900280393791

I think it’s going to be size 15b but best check the sizing guide yourself.

It’s going to be $215 total, so maybe still to expensive?

This might actually work.

No trolley strap tho :whitewater:

EDIT: WAIT NEVERMIND I TAKE THAT LAST PART BACK, the pocket on the back converts to a strap. I had to read pretty far into the description to find that out, which is dumb as hell, whoever wrote this dense-rear end thing should’ve just included a photo of that, but yeah, it does have one.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Jul 1, 2020

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

Get a sewing machine and add one?

Also re: Waterfield bags, I am not sure if they have one that's big enough for a 17" Dell, but what you really want to do is get the bag and also get one of their laptop sleeves. They're gently padded and you can pull the sleeve out for a checkpoint without much trouble. I've found that's easier with bags that keep your laptop vertical (portrait) as opposed to horizontal (landscape).

Is it impact/shock-resistant? I dunno. Depends what you mean by that. Is there a spec out there I'm not aware of that you're thinking of? Or what are you hoping for?

In general, the problem with a checkpoint-friendly bag is that it'll really just be a padded sleeve with a shoulder strap on it. Adding any other space (for, say, a power cable) will mean that you have interference with the x-ray machine and disqualify it from being checkpoint friendly. So I'd recommend just sucking it up and pulling your laptop out of your bag at x-ray machines like the rest of us.

e: Looks like Waterfield doesn't do a sleeve for a Dell XPS 17. Just the 15s. That makes sense - my Cargo and Muzetto bags would fit a 15" mac laptop pretty snugly but I wouldn't want to go much bigger than that. That's probably because the only folks going for 17" laptops are gamers and that's not their target demographic. Also the bit above about carrying a 17" laptop in a messenger screwing up your back.

Arcturas has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Jul 1, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

It has one though?

quote:

The outside back of the Cadet features a wide, quick-access pocket for a magazine or newspaper (it's the only external pocket on the Cadet that doesn't zip shut). The bottom of this pocket unzips so you can slide the Cadet over the handle of rolling luggage.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

.Z. posted:

It has one though?

Yeah they did a shitass job of making that clear on the product page, but I just saw it. Really would’ve been nice of them to include a photo of the bag strapped to a suitcase handle so I wouldn’t have to read that entire long bitch of a description to find that out, though.

That whole product description is kind of a loving chore to read, not just because it’s long but because the letters are tiny and the lines aren’t spaced far enough apart. Whoever typesetted this needs a few dozen swift hard boots to the skull.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah they did a shitass job of showing it on the product page, but I just saw that. Really would’ve been nice of them to include a photo of the bag strapped to a suitcase handle.

That whole description is kind of a loving chore to read, not just because it’s long but because the letters are tiny and the lines aren’t spaced far enough apart. Whoever typesetted this needs a few dozen swift hard boots to the skull.

Yeah, their web page design in general is pretty meh.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well I admit I’m not the biggest fan of “minimalist”......... anything, but it looks like the Cadet fits all of my needs, so I guess I’ll be going with that.

Those Waterfield bags are kinda hot though, I gotta admit, and I get the feeling they might be able to do a custom-sized order for a new XPS 17 if I ask nicely.

Thanks for all the recs!

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Jul 2, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Well I admit I’m not the biggest fan of “minimalist”......... anything, but it looks like the Cadet fits all of my needs, so I guess I’ll be going with that.

Those Waterfield bags are kinda hot though, I gotta admit, and I get the feeling they might be able to do a custom-sized order for a new XPS 17 if I ask nicely.

Thanks for all the recs!

Their full-size outback duo bag would fit the XPS17 and doesn’t need a sleeve. Just not as TSA checkpoint friendly.

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/briefcases/products/outback-duo-laptop-brief?tab=Specifications

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any recommendations for big & tall t-shirts? Preferably with a nice thickness/durability?

I used to get the shirts from The Foundry Supply Co as they were heavy duty with a nice length in the Tall sizes. However, they are exclusive to JC Penney which is circling the drain and the shirt quality has dipped in recent years.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Thwomp posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for big & tall t-shirts? Preferably with a nice thickness/durability?

I used to get the shirts from The Foundry Supply Co as they were heavy duty with a nice length in the Tall sizes. However, they are exclusive to JC Penney which is circling the drain and the shirt quality has dipped in recent years.

Duluth longtail trim-fit. I'm 6'6" and they're fine for me. The fabric is a bit on the heavy side.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Friend is looking to pick up a 6 quart instant pot - any current good deals out there?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nephzinho posted:

Friend is looking to pick up a 6 quart instant pot - any current good deals out there?

Not sure but they are $100 max and drop to 70 pretty frequently.

You can get the Duo for less, if they are okay with a smaller one.

I'm way out of the BluRay and sound game.
I'd love recs for Blu-ray players that can also stream junk reasonably quickly (the one I have can do Netflix but it takes ages to load).

Also surround sound systems with preferably wireless back speakers. Running wire is a bit of an issue right now. 5.1 is fine.

Total price hopefully less than $500.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Now that my Target bedsheets are starting to lose stitching I can get some new ones. This time I’m avoiding spending way too much for department store garbage.

What are good brands of fitted sheet/pillowcase sets I can order online? I’d like to keep it under like 50 bucks but if it’s life changing then whatever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rolo posted:

Now that my Target bedsheets are starting to lose stitching I can get some new ones. This time I’m avoiding spending way too much for department store garbage.

What are good brands of fitted sheet/pillowcase sets I can order online? I’d like to keep it under like 50 bucks but if it’s life changing then whatever.

Please spend more than $50 if you can BUT thread count is a scam.

If you sleep cold or like being toasty, some mid-range flannel sheets are just about as comfy as you can get.

I've heard people swear by Boll & Branch but they may have podcast poisoning.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My Cadet bag came in a few weeks ago and I like it a lot. In fact I’m thinking about picking up an Empire Builder bag for everyday non-airport carrying when I have a bit more money to blow, although that one only comes in two colors and they’re both ugly as gently caress.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Jul 30, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Inzombiac posted:

If you sleep cold or like being toasty, some mid-range flannel sheets are just about as comfy as you can get.

I usually don’t like high thread counts but never really put it together that they’re cooler and now I might be converted.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Inzombiac posted:

I've heard people swear by Boll & Branch but they may have podcast poisoning.

I can do more than 50 if that’s pretty standard, I’ve never shopped for nice sheets I guess. I keep my place warm and sleep with cooler sheets and blankets because I used to live in the southwest and my internal temperature probe is broken. Something like flannel would probably be too warm, I’d rather be on the other end of the temperature spectrum.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

I can do more than 50 if that’s pretty standard, I’ve never shopped for nice sheets I guess. I keep my place warm and sleep with cooler sheets and blankets because I used to live in the southwest and my internal temperature probe is broken. Something like flannel would probably be too warm, I’d rather be on the other end of the temperature spectrum.

Well above 50 bucks, but I also sleep hot and Brooklinen Classic sheets are very nice IMO

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rolo posted:

Sheets are so odd because there are a million billion different types.
Personally I like something with a bit of texture and warmth but others want something so smooth it might as well be plastic.

I would suggest going a step above Target to something like Bed Bath and Beyond, find something that feels nice to the touch and isn't $15.

It might take a couple tries to find a perfect match but you should have a rotating set or two anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I usually end up with 2 sets. I live alone so it’s easy to throw one set in the wash, grab the other and go. With these last sets I had one fray in the wash and decided to wait until my other cheapos died before just starting over with nicer sheets.

I’m not a gross slob that ruins bedding that often, these were just really cheap dorm-grade linens I got when I moved here.